STOCKS TO SELL by yaserbigchair
VituVingiSana
#1001 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2018 11:24:32 AM

Juojo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Base Load requires the production of a minimum amount of power at all times. Renewables (without the ability to store the power) is usually an unreliable supply 24/7/52. That said, as storage becomes cheaper we should be able to store power during peak production for use during peak usage.

Solar 6am-7pm when the sun is out.
Wind - When the wind is blowing. Some areas have almost 24/7 wind but the intensity may vary.
Hydo - Needs water and dams. Perhaps we need to use smaller dams and different technology which don't require damming.

Nuclear - Very expensive to set up + risks involved. Plus I do not trust GoK to construct and maintain a nuclear facility. Those buggers will cut corners as they have done with other infrastructure OR inflate the cost.

Coal - Possibly dirty but new tech could reduce the amount of pollution. Coal is falling out of favor, is plentiful and getting cheaper. We should be careful about over-capacity.
Thermal - Dirty + expensive as oil prices rise.

No easy choices!

Centum is (IMHO) run by smart folks. They must have thought this out. That said, if the plan dies, there will be a loss that Centum will have to recognize. In fact, they should provision for it now and if it comes into being then write it back!

Centum is run by tenderpreneurs and brokers.
The last smart people were the likes of Peter Mwangi,David Owino
After what i saw with two rivers,all the best to all who own the shares.
Old Mutual controls the shots in Two rivers mall

Centum has done well under Mworia. DJ CK does know how to grease the wheels to get deals done. We have to discount DJ CK's connections going forward.
OM controls Two Rivers Mall since it owns 50% vs Centum's effective 28%. That makes complete sense! I "hope" OM/AVIC buys out the 28% Centum owns in Two Rivers Mall smile smile smile Centum needs the cash!

Cash to repay the loans they have in excess of sh.10bn

Centum has taken a lot of risk, though they have been lucky so far. Unfortunately one wrong turn might bring the company down due to the huge risk and high leverage. DJ CK also needs to be around for them to keep getting the deals
No, they haven't taken much leverage on the Lamu Coal Plant but they do have significant leverage overall. It's a risk I try to keep tabs on.
It's a "Tier 2" investment for me. Of course, I want it to do well but I do not see it becoming a "Core" for me until I see more of what's happening. In the meantime I like the low price if I want to add more.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
obiero
#1002 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 9:33:19 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Juojo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Base Load requires the production of a minimum amount of power at all times. Renewables (without the ability to store the power) is usually an unreliable supply 24/7/52. That said, as storage becomes cheaper we should be able to store power during peak production for use during peak usage.

Wind - When the wind is blowing. Some areas have almost 24/7 wind but the intensity may vary.
Hydo - Needs water and dams. Perhaps we need to use smaller dams and different technology which don't require damming.

Nuclear - Very expensive to set up + risks involved. Plus I do not trust GoK to construct and maintain a nuclear facility. Those buggers will cut corners as they have done with other infrastructure OR inflate the cost.

Coal - Possibly dirty but new tech could reduce the amount of pollution. Coal is falling out of favor, is plentiful and getting cheaper. We should be careful about over-capacity.

No easy choices!

Centum is (IMHO) run by smart folks. They must have thought this out. That said, if the plan dies, there will be a loss that Centum will have to recognize. In fact, they should provision for it now and if it comes into being then write it back!

Centum has done well under Mworia. DJ CK does know how to grease the wheels to get deals done. We have to discount DJ CK's connections going forward.
OM controls Two Rivers Mall since it owns 50% vs Centum's effective 28%. That makes complete sense! I "hope" OM/AVIC buys out the 28% Centum owns in Two Rivers Mall smile smile smile Centum needs the cash!

Centum has taken a lot of risk, though they have been lucky so far. Unfortunately one wrong turn might bring the company down due to the huge risk and high leverage. DJ CK also needs to be around for them to keep getting the deals
No, they haven't taken much leverage on the Lamu Coal Plant but they do have significant leverage overall. It's a risk I try to keep tabs on.
It's a "Tier 2" investment for me. Of course, I want it to do well but I do not see it becoming a "Core" for me until I see more of what's happening. In the meantime I like the low price if I want to add more.

Liar! 2.1B USD debt is on the cards

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
obiero
#1003 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 9:46:57 AM

sparkly wrote:
iris wrote:
sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
RIEK01 wrote:
Centum is a sell,very soon people will realise that your core business can't be reporting profits by REVALUATION ( Many plot owners use this model and perceive they care rich).

It's a pity one can compare Warren Buffett to @ KE brokers. One Biwot run successful companies with a top notch team ( check out the directors of say KK versus Centum) and make your own decision.

Finally, where a business is modeled on directors connections, be very cautious.

@RiekMachar I don't want to come across as a Centum apologist but Centum is the biggest, most diversified and consistent investment company in East Africa.

Most seasoned investors will agree. Compared with Olympia, Car and General, Carbacid, Home Africa, Fig Tree which are the closest to listed investment companies, Centum is way ahead.

No one questions Centum past, but what we are worried about here is the future. When a seasoned investor starts selling shares in KCB and buying Sidian Bank,starts buying into a publishing house while GoK is keen to nub educational book-sellers cartels, purchases a 'sisal' plantation in Vipingo while tourism is on a decline, attempts a USD 2B coal deal without any commensurate cashflow.. We are simply worried

Sidian - Buying MFI, converting into a bank. MFIs growing faster than banks;

Longhorn - Listed to sell (not to buy)

Vipingo - Buy a farm, convert it into an incentivized city;

Lamu Coal Plant - The industrial revolution in England is based on shift from from wood (dwindling wood fuel sources) to coal. Why re-invent the wheel?

If progress was based on always following (outdated) past technology, there would be no mobile phones in Kenya as we would be struggling with more land lines instead of highfalutin wireless technologies. Why can't our next "Safaricom" have renewable energy at its core?

80% of energy in the world is from burning fossil fuels of which 30% is from coal. Coal accounts for 40% of fossil fuels burnt to generate electricity.

I surprised you think coal is outdated when our grandmas in the village, learning institutions, tea and coffee industries burn firewood for fuel.

Profit down close to 70%. May God restore DJ CK https://www.standardmedi...t-drops-to-sh2-7-billion

Ericsson
#1004 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 9:52:10 AM

obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
iris wrote:
sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
[quote=RIEK01]Centum is a sell,very soon people will realise that your core business can't be reporting profits by REVALUATION ( Many plot owners use this model and perceive they care rich).

It's a pity one can compare Warren Buffett to @ KE brokers. One Biwot run successful companies with a top notch team ( check out the directors of say KK versus Centum) and make your own decision.

Finally, where a business is modeled on directors connections, be very cautious.

@RiekMachar I don't want to come across as a Centum apologist but Centum is the biggest, most diversified and consistent investment company in East Africa.

Most seasoned investors will agree. Compared with Olympia, Car and General, Carbacid, Home Africa, Fig Tree which are the closest to listed investment companies, Centum is way ahead.

No one questions Centum past, but what we are worried about here is the future. When a seasoned investor starts selling shares in KCB and buying Sidian Bank,starts buying into a publishing house while GoK is keen to nub educational book-sellers cartels, purchases a 'sisal' plantation in Vipingo while tourism is on a decline, attempts a USD 2B coal deal without any commensurate cashflow.. We are simply worried

Lamu Coal Plant - The industrial revolution in England is based on shift from from wood (dwindling wood fuel sources) to coal. Why re-invent the wheel?

If progress was based on always following (outdated) past technology, there would be no mobile phones in Kenya as we would be struggling with more land lines instead of highfalutin wireless technologies. Why can't our next "Safaricom" have renewable energy at its core?

80% of energy in the world is from burning fossil fuels of which 30% is from coal. Coal accounts for 40% of fossil fuels burnt to generate electricity.

I surprised you think coal is outdated when our grandmas in the village, learning institutions, tea and coffee industries burn firewood for fuel.

Profit down close to 70%. May God restore DJ CK https://www.standardmedi...-drops-to-sh2-7-billion[/quote]

@Obiero i warned vvs
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
VituVingiSana
#1005 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 10:36:17 AM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Juojo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

No easy choices!

Dear @Obiero,

I know it's a bit tough to understand some of these things.
Centum (& partners) is taking on PROJECT DEBT but not debt at the "parent" level for the Coal Plant. With a PPA in place, GoK/KPLC is on the hook [see LTWP] for the payments for production and capacity.

Centum isn't KQ. Not yet anyway smile

Where did you get the $2.1bn from?
[It's $500mn Equity + $1.5bn Debt with Centum owning just a portion of the project]

Sincerely,

VVS
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
VituVingiSana
#1006 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 10:45:18 AM

Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
iris wrote:
sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
[quote=RIEK01]Centum is a sell,very soon people will realise that your core business can't be reporting profits by REVALUATION ( Many plot owners use this model and perceive they care rich).

Profit down close to 70%. May God restore DJ CK https://www.standardmedi...-drops-to-sh2-7-billion[/quote]

@Obiero i warned vvs
Socks or Stocks. Don't stress for me. I am more worried about KenRe with the thieves in charge.
Don't forget the naysayers for KenolKobil. Ohana said KK expects to make RECORD profits (PAT) in FY 2018 despite the rising oil prices.

If Centum executes well, the profits over the next 5 years will be mouth-watering.

THAT SAID, I WILL KEEP MY EYES OPEN and GET OUT IF I GET UNCOMFORTABLE. I AM NOT GOING TO WAIT FOR "OPEN OFFERS" and ALL THAT JAZZ/HYPE.
obiero
#1007 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 10:47:07 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Juojo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

No easy choices!

Dear @Obiero,

Centum (& partners) is taking on PROJECT DEBT but not debt at the "parent" level for the Coal Plant. With a PPA in place, GoK/KPLC is on the hook [see LTWP] for the payments for production and capacity.

[It's $500mn Equity + $1.5bn Debt with Centum owning just a portion of the project]

Sincerely,

VVS

KQ isn't the topic of discussion. Centum is on the ropes!

VituVingiSana
#1008 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 11:04:32 AM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Juojo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

No easy choices!

Dear @Obiero,

Sincerely,

VVS

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Centum makes a profit.
Centum has real cashflow even AFTER deducting the "FV gains"
Centum pays a dividend.
Centum isn't looking for a bailout.
Centum isn't looking to merge with JKIA to shore up its assets.

Don't stress about Centum while you wait for that elusive "Open Offer" like that will cure KQ's ills.

P.S. My neighborhood kiosk makes a higher profit per day than a certain airline has made in 5 years!
muandiwambeu
#1009 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 12:32:37 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Juojo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

No easy choices!

Dear @Obiero,

Sincerely,

VVS

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Centum makes a profit.
Centum pays a dividend.

Don't stress about Centum while you wait for that elusive "Open Offer" like that will cure KQ's ills ety manyasi wapi karukarangaLaughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly .

P.S. My neighborhood kiosk makes a higher profit per day than a certain airline has made in 5 years!

,Behold, a sower went forth to sow;....
muandiwambeu
#1010 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 12:36:35 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Juojo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

No easy choices!

Dear @Obiero,

Sincerely,

VVS

Centum pays a dividend.

Don't stress about Centum while you wait for that elusive "Open Offer" like that will cure KQ's ills ety manyasi wapi karukaranga.

,Behold, a sower went forth to sow;....
samdoe
#1011 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 5:56:00 PM

What happened here??

VituVingiSana wrote:
Boo hoo hoo!

I am happy to challenge items on this list!

KPLC - It will not go below 19.50 unless there is a major disaster... I am willing to bet on this... Can Wazua find a way to 'memorialize' this?

Marshalls - I agree expect there are no buyers so it makes little sense to state a price when there is no liquidity or buyers here... Are there any folks here who own Marshalls? What do you say?
[Giving advice to sell something at a price you can't sell it at makes no sense]

C&G - Hah! This is one I will challenge... 45/-? Let us see...

winmak
#1012 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 6:41:24 PM

samdoe wrote:

What happened here??

VituVingiSana wrote:
Boo hoo hoo!

KPLC - It will not go below 19.50 unless there is a major disaster... I am willing to bet on this... Can Wazua find a way to 'memorialize' this?

Marshalls - I agree expect there are no buyers so it makes little sense to state a price when there is no liquidity or buyers here... Are there any folks here who own Marshalls? What do you say?
[Giving advice to sell something at a price you can't sell it at makes no sense]

C&G - Hah! This is one I will challenge... 45/-? Let us see...

Ouch!!!
For investors as a whole, returns decrease as motion increases ~ WB
VituVingiSana
#1013 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 7:07:31 PM

samdoe wrote:

What happened here??

VituVingiSana wrote:
Boo hoo hoo!
What date was this posted? [It is relevant to this discussion.]

There was a major disaster since. Similar to what's happening at KenRe. A change in management whose sole interest is to eat. Same happened to KQ. Same is happening to KenRe

C&G - Hah! This is one I will challenge... 45/-? Let us see... What was the context? Can you post the entire thread

obiero
#1014 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 8:52:44 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
samdoe wrote:

What happened here??

VituVingiSana wrote:
Boo hoo hoo!

There was a major disaster since. Similar to what's happening at KenRe. A change in management whose sole interest is to eat. Same happened to KQ. Same is happening to KenRe

C&G - Hah! This is one I will challenge... 45/-? Let us see... What was the context? Can you post the entire thread

vvs should not be bashed by anyone. he has an old man strategy with minimum timelines being 10 yrs

VituVingiSana
#1015 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2018 12:31:11 AM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
samdoe wrote:

What happened here??

VituVingiSana wrote:
Boo hoo hoo!

vvs should not be bashed by anyone. he has an old man strategy with minimum timelines being 10 yrs

I do not have a 100%. Not even close.
KQ, KPLC, etc [Exited KQ in 2012, exited KPLC soon after the last Rights Issue when GoK/ERC didn't award the promised tariff raise coz of electioneering + DP's guys run the show]
Olympia [Exited when it became certain that MM was hell-bent on stealing]
Now KenRe [Like KPLC, the DP's people are in charge]
VituVingiSana
#1016 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2018 12:33:03 AM

I would rather sustain the penalties resulting from over-conservatism than face the consequences of error, perhaps with permanent capital loss, resulting from the adoption of "New Era" philosophy where trees really do grow to the sky. - WB

Take the probability of loss times the amount of possible loss from the probability of gain times the amount of possible gain. That is what we're trying to do. It's imperfect, but that's what it's all about. - WB

I am out of step with present conditions. When the game is no longer played your way, it is only human to say the new approach is all wrong, bound to lead to trouble, and so on. On one point, however, I am clear. I will not abandon a previous approach whose logic I understand ( although I find it difficult to apply ) even though it may mean foregoing large, and apparently easy, profits to embrace an approach which I don't fully understand, have not practiced successfully, and which possibly could lead to substantial permanent loss of capital. - WB
TLCEO
#1017 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2018 1:44:05 AM

Wah, Kengen is at 7 bob 8 years later
obiero
#1018 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2018 8:59:46 AM

TLCEO wrote:
Wah, Kengen is at 7 bob 8 years later

To imagine that it touched KES 41 in 2007

obiero
#1019 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2018 9:48:48 AM

obiero wrote:
obiero wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
obiero wrote:
THE EXCHANGE BAR BELIEVES THE FOLLOWING STOCKS TO BE ON CLOSE WATCH.

stocks to trade with eyes wide open 17.04.2018: arm, bamburi, barclays, britam, cables, carbacid, cargeneral, centum, crown, deacons, eabl, eapc, eveready, express, ftg, home afrika, i&m, kapch, keno, kenre, kurwitu, mumias, nbk, olympia, sameer, scbk, uchumi, unga, umeme

A huge chunk of these bandia firms are yet to post FY2017 results. Yet firms in wallstreet are already posting Q1 results and when Trump says we are in a shithole we storm twitter with kizungu nyingi

In defense of the African, we got independence fairly recently smile

Boom! Centum profit warning. Ignore exchange bar information at own peril https://www.businessdail...55482-39j90r/index.html

Boom!

obiero
#1020 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2018 9:51:16 AM

THE EXCHANGE BAR BELIEVES THE FOLLOWING STOCKS TO BE ON CLOSE WATCH AS AT 15.06.2018: arm, bamburi, barclays, britam, cables, carbacid, cargeneral, centum, crown, deacons, eabl, eapc, eveready, express, ftg, hf, home afrika, i&m, kapch, keno, kenre, kurwitu, mumias, nbk, olympia, sameer, scbk, uchumi, unga, umeme