wazua Sun, May 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
What do you need to get a job in kenya
story teller
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 07, 2010 8:59:49 AM

To my esteemed wazuans,

Seriously, what do you need to get a job in Kenya?

Mukiha, Njunge, Wendz, the Accounting fraternity, my cousin graduated with an MBA from Strathmore University and is a CPA K and is still unemployed.

What exactly do you need to get a job? This is so frustrating...any leads or advice is highly appreciated.

Please help!
It's not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.
Tokyo
#2 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 7:19:17 AM

go beyond borders
work to prosper
Gordon Gekko
#3 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 8:19:28 AM

Sad but true... some cash for the recruiting agency - 50K to get you through the door, then he/she will pull the strings with the potential employer and broker fees for you, I have heard of 1 metre changing hands (depending of course on the position). And these are not the back street recruitment agencies, but the so called executive search folks.
kadonye
#4 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 8:51:39 AM

@story teller, it could be a variety of factors.Is your cousin the type who say they won't take less than 100k coz they have masters?Does he have any experience?I have found it intrsting that pple who started workin with CPA only make it faster in life than guys who did undergrads plus CPA.Experience matters a lot, eg 4 an accountant, xperienc with systems like Pastel n quickbooks is a big plus
What a wicked man I am!The things I want to do,I don't do.The things I don't want to do I find myself doing
My 2 cents
#5 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 10:00:34 AM

He needs to be very aggressive in his job search. I have found out that generally those who are successful are not necessarily the one with the best grades in college etc. It is the ones who have the most 'hunger' for success. A bit of luck and networking i.e. who you know also helps tremendously.
IDP
#6 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 10:21:56 AM

I am sorry to say this but if you cousin is a she, then am afraid she might have to hit the mattress with these morons. By 10.00 all lodgings are taken as the potential "employers" exploit the job seekers! The kenyan job market is a screw yard.

Again she should hide the MBA certificate for now. These so called execs don't have papers, they fear people with papers bcoz they join their Orgarnizations to be their bosses, So you will not even be shortlisted. So advice your cousin to use the CPA certificate to enter an organization then unleash the other certificate afterwards.
kadonye
#7 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 10:27:55 AM

IDP wrote:
Again she should hide the MBA certificate for now. These so called execs don't have papers, they fear people with papers bcoz they join their Orgarnizations to be their bosses, So you will not even be shortlisted. So advice your cousin to use the CPA certificate to enter an organization then unleash the other certificate afterwards.

Applause Applause Applause
So true
What a wicked man I am!The things I want to do,I don't do.The things I don't want to do I find myself doing
anasazi
#8 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 10:53:38 AM

So true. If your cousin does not have work experience, he/she is better off hiding the Masters till later. After all, no investigation will be done to ascertain whether he indeed has masters and is hiding it! Your cousin will be thought to be overqualified in terms of papers (and thinking he should be earning more straight away..), and yet the experience part will work against him.
Form is temporary, class is permanent
Wendz
#9 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 11:32:11 AM

IDP wrote:
I am sorry to say this but if you cousin is a she, then am afraid she might have to hit the mattress with these morons. By 10.00 all lodgings are taken as the potential "employers" exploit the job seekers! The kenyan job market is a screw yard.

@IDP....Misleading! She does not have to.

@My 2 cents
You are right. I would say, you have to be more aggressive. You have to have the passion of what you are looking for and be determined to move your mass around.

Many youngsters these days want to sit and wait to "hear" of a job opening.. by the time it is opening, a million people have heard of it and you have to be way above the crowd to get it. some are too 'embarrassed to take their cvs around because they do not want people to know they are looking for a job! Tell people, tell everyone who cares to listen(but dont put all your hope there)...... even if you are going to shout at the rooftops... you shouldnt be embarrassed... anyone in a job, most likely, started where you are. but remember to maintain your dignity.... and choose the kind of firms yo would like to work for. Personally, i would never put one single application to a one-man show sort of a company..... thats where the trouble lies mostly but i am not saying all are like that.

Personally, there is no one single building i dint enter in town. I tarmacked - literally, for one and a half months more than majority do in 5 years. by the end of the 1.5 months, I had 3 jobs to choose from.... (low paying poor jobs but jobs all the same - but i blame my naivety anyway) the one i took i didnt finish probation coz i was called for a slightly better one.

You dont have to hide nothing... just be yourself and pray for it. You never know where your breakthrough will come from. but send out your cvs. i had a target of 20 cvs every day. What was i using, the Directory... page by page... You wont get to M before getting a job or get some interests from where you've sent.

Ati hide your papers? put them out there. be proud of what you have achieved. someone seeking for someone with your qualification will pick you up...... you only need to widen your net regarding where you are sending your cvs.
My 2 cents
#10 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 11:44:12 AM

@ Wendz, thats exactly how to go about it, how you have described. I have a sibling waiting at home for a job to fall on her lap. Alas it will never happen.....

It is a tough job market and one has to give it a very very good shot. I don't agree with the hiding of one's qualifications either.
mmarto
#11 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 12:45:59 PM

also how you present yourself at the interview matters a lot. some people are fit for a 'research and development' facility, being overly theoretical. They sometimes do not portray themselves to the level of their papers. I guess it is the kenyan educational system that is churning graduates who are out of touch with the market(Sad((
The only time you should be looking down on others is when you are helping them up.
mukiha
#12 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 1:04:30 PM

Looking for a job is a full-time job! And it's expensive as well.

Like Wendz said, one has to do it systematically:

1] Decide the kind of job you WANT - it doesn't have to be exactly what you studied in school (remember the saying attributed to Einstein: "Education is what remains after you have forgotten everything you were taught in school"!!)

2] Decide the type of organisation you WANT to work for... and imagine yourself working there.

3]Prepare a CV at MOST 2 pages, but one-page is the best!

4] Draft a good application letter

5] Take the telephone directory - they are given out for free!!!

6] Send out at least 5 applications each day! Make sure you make a fresh print of each letter & CV. Photocopies can look flimsy!

7]Remain positive even after the "regrets" start coming.... oh and BTW only about 25% of the companies you apply to will bother to reply!
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
mukiha
#13 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 1:10:53 PM

story teller wrote:
To my esteemed wazuans,

Seriously, what do you need to get a job in Kenya?

Mukiha, Njunge, Wendz, the Accounting fraternity, my cousin graduated with an MBA from Strathmore University and is a CPA K and is still unemployed.

What exactly do you need to get a job? This is so frustrating...any leads or advice is highly appreciated.

Please help!

I am a bit concerned: did your cousin get an MBA without work experience?

If yes, then God help Kenyan MBAs...
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
story teller
#14 Posted : Tuesday, November 09, 2010 5:43:19 AM

To all who have responded, thanks a million for your feedback.@Mukiha and @Kadonye, i will get specific details (experience part) and post. Keep the ideas/suggestions coming. @Wendz, you are one tough lady, great ideas! My cousin is a gal, will probably face insurmountable odds in her quest for a job i guess.
It's not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.
Cardinal
#15 Posted : Tuesday, November 09, 2010 7:58:51 AM

I think i like Wazua
alma
#16 Posted : Tuesday, November 09, 2010 8:19:48 AM

@Wendz, if someone does not listen to you, they have big problems. That is what I call inspiring.

@Mukiha can't agree more about MBA's with no work experience. I would rather pay for a staff member's MBA than go get one straight from college.

Think Big and start small. No one who has a job got it by sitting at home and waiting to be called for that perfect job.

My goodness, even on wazua, she can find people with a need and fill it for them. 1k doing research for one person here on wazua is equals to work experience and networking.
Jose: If I make it through this thug life, I'll see you one day. The Lord is the only way to stop the hurt.
kenmac
#17 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2010 6:50:13 PM

>> Its not lost the first day after campus....the big question was what next, followed by a long blank stare to the horizon...with 1,000 bob in my pocket, accruing rent debts, and inflicting pangs of hunger, definately something had to be done...the 1,000 bob was finished on postage stamps, foolscaps and envelopes...It couldn't go on anymore...and with some computer acquired during my campus good days started doing what most people considered to be for the uneducated people, gave a better service and got fanatical loyalty from my clients....earning an average of 1K per day while those i was in the same class still lamented on scarcity of jobs...

>> Moral of the story, get her out of the comfort cocoon, give her some challenge to jog her mind...then you will see what she is capable of...time and chance happens to them all...ultimately she will nail a good job, but meanwhile its not a reason to watch afro sinema all day for being jobless..tell her to start crawling, until she learns to fly
......Ecclesiastes
X13united
#18 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 2:20:58 PM

He who stops seeking has certainly found it. My guess is that afro is definately not the answer,unless if u r to study Nigeria pick up lines for the rich guy in the Nigerian Kenyan based church.
YOUNG ECONOMST
#19 Posted : Thursday, November 25, 2010 4:38:59 PM

Knowing what you want where to find it at what time and being aggressive is the way this days.
There is new generation of chap chap guys getting lucrative jobs even before they get their final university undergraduate results.
Not because they know someone but because of their hunger for success. They can do anything even running their academic semesters parallel with par-time jobs hence graduating with much more experience than many who have masters only and want to have their first job as managers. Its called "generation XYZ money here now". To compete with them you got to be smart. Success does not belong to the faint-hearted. This is not the time for the oiyeee oiyeee and luck, go for it, if you are smart you will get, if you are outsmarted its not the end of the road try another one. All the best.

"The opportunity of a lifetime must be seized during the lifetime of the opportunity."
aemathenge
#20 Posted : Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:21:29 PM

What is with this generation of Job opportunity seekers.

The nature of my job requires that most that visit our institutions are sent to me.

96% of the male interveiwees do not wear a suit and tie. Ladies, the plugging necklines and above the knee hemlines. Please.

Did I miss something? Attending an interview in Jeans and Safaricom T-shirts for an opening in accounts and administration?

Sheng is not yet recognized as an official language, the new constitution not with standing.

for heavens sakes ladies and gentlemen, do not attend an interview if you cannot speak English. Please. Thank you.