wazua Fri, Sep 27, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

"Pesa pap" campaign turns the corner
KenyanLyrics
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 08, 2010 11:47:28 PM

When the Pesa Pap advertisements came out, they didn't make a good first impression. But now, they have taken hold in the form of a meme. Nowadays you find people using the "Pap" word to categorise any instantaneous actions they may be referring to. Where are the Pesa Pap haters now?
hindi ni riu
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 09, 2010 1:00:01 AM

The ad is just.....lame. Haven't heard anyone use Pap. Actually, the fist time I've used it myself is the one I've written in my second sentence.

“Once the last tree is cut and the last river poisoned,you will find you cannot eat your money" Traditional saying.
selah
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 09, 2010 9:52:47 AM

I think family Bank Has people who think.By popularising this service they are atleast trying to get a niche in the mobile phone transaction market which is dominated by Mpesa and ZAP.Most banks popularise MPESA without knowing that Mpesa is trying to take over the banking industry, what with the MKESHO already in the market.
'......to the acknowledgment of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; 3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.' Colossians 2:2-3
sizzla
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 09, 2010 10:30:17 AM

Guyz, Pesa Pap is not an exclusive novelty but rather depends on what the customers adopt. The service might be innovative and all but if the common mwananchi does not even understand its basic functionality then it will just be a waste of time.

Why should i open an account with Family Bank when i can simply top up my mpesa on the go. I honestly think even M-Kesho is overated, despite opening many accounts, just how much has been transacted to date?
selah
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 09, 2010 10:45:48 AM

sizzla wrote:

Why should i open an account with Family Bank when i can simply top up my mpesa on the go. I honestly think even M-Kesho is overated, despite opening many accounts, just how much has been transacted to date?

firstly,The issue here is how Family Bank has given its customers an alternative as opposed to popularising a rival service.

secondly how can MKESHO have close to 900m without any transactions made?
'......to the acknowledgment of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; 3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.' Colossians 2:2-3
MaichBlack
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 09, 2010 6:33:36 PM

selah wrote:
Most banks popularise MPESA without knowing that Mpesa is trying to take over the banking industry, what with the MKESHO already in the market.

@Selah - What banks are doing - especially Equity - is very smart. You can not fight M-Pesa - especially when it comes to money transfer. The smart thing is to join forces with SCom and get a piece of the pie.
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
kenmac
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 09, 2010 8:31:47 PM

>> How does this Pap function?

I registered this Mkesho with the sole aim of bypassing the extorbitant Mpesa withdrawal charges...I thought I would be able to send money direct to my Equity account and withdraw any amount at a flat rate of 30bob...Wait until the mpesa agent explained that mkesho hogwash...I still don't understand the need for mkesho...Explain to me like a four year old.
......Ecclesiastes
mozenrat
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 09, 2010 9:28:56 PM

kenmac wrote:
>> How does this Pap function?

I registered this Mkesho with the sole aim of bypassing the extorbitant Mpesa withdrawal charges...I thought I would be able to send money direct to my Equity account and withdraw any amount at a flat rate of 30bob...Wait until the mpesa agent explained that mkesho hogwash...I still don't understand the need for mkesho...Explain to me like a four year old.

Mpesa charges are exorbitant?? what kind of charges did we have with Western Union.. nay even with the Posta money orders... Yenyewe, the more you give the more will be demanded of you..
kyt
#9 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2010 12:44:44 AM

@ moze, why would i pay 100 bob to deposit 9k in another a/c, that is what mpesa does!
LOVE WHAT YOU DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE.
Wendz
#10 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2010 11:36:51 AM

hindi ni riu wrote:
The ad is just.....lame. Haven't heard anyone use Pap. Actually, the fist time I've used it myself is the one I've written in my second sentence.

You didnt hear someone say she'd rather be Single PAP? Its being used in street talk.

People around towns and have access to banks may not appreciate the real need for Mpesa. Talk to people in Lumot/loruk and muhotetu..... No one can deny that mpesa is more convenient that any banking system and to many kenyans. I doubt it will go down that easily.
Pastor M
#11 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2010 12:56:15 PM

I registered this Mkesho with the sole aim of bypassing the extorbitant Mpesa withdrawal charges...I thought I would be able to send money direct to my Equity account and withdraw any amount at a flat rate of 30bob...Wait until the mpesa agent explained that mkesho hogwash...I still don't understand the need for mkesho...Explain to me like a four year old.[/quote]

Find the Explaination....

NB Equity Mkesho targets safcom Mpesa customers,and safcom targets family bank customers through family bank PESAPAP at the end of who will win ?
Safcom is an equity agent

Djinn explained the benefits of M-kesho clearly..

CP

1 - According to a recent survey (I can google and find the source if needed), M-Pesa agencies only become SUSTAINABLE in certain conditions (e.g. few other outlets nearby, income of population in the locality, economic activities, etc etc). Thus this study outlined certain prerequisites for a sustainable M-Pesa operation. Old school SK/Wazua members will recall there were frequent posts and enquiries on how to become an M-Pesa agent - there was a lot of clamour and indeed it was profitable to operate an agency .....until they became so pervasive. I'm sure many of us have gone to an agent and found issues to do with floats (red flag!!!!). Anyway, just like Simu ya Jamii operators, I think its time to evolve M-Pesa agents in order to retain them. Which will lead me to my next point.

So in summary, Not all M-Pesa agents break even these days, they do not get enough transactions. e.g. In 2007 if you were competing with x agents in a 1km square area, you could make a profit...in 2010 if you compete with 3x agents, then the math is different. Let me remind all abt the Simu ya Jamii thing - when SCOM introduced 20 and 10 scratch cards...the death knell was sounded for Simu ya Jamii operators...If I wanted to make a 1 minute call but only had 10 bob so could not top up with 50 , I'd go to a Simu ya Jamii outlet....but after the 20 and 10 cards, I as a subscriber, would find it more convenient to buy a 10/230 bob card....exit Simu ya Jamii (some operators still have not re-couped money spent on the device and we no longer hear of Adtel)

So, SOME (or many) M-Pesa agents are becoming rather redundant. Especially those with low cash flow. The big players like Uchumi, Pharmacies, etc may remain relevant. So, what to do?

2 - Still holding in mind that some (or many) M-Pesa agents are going the way of the dinosaurs - and may opt to defect to Zap since its not highly penetrated yet, SCOM needed to do something. So lets hold that thought....

3 - Think of your typical non-personal M-Pesa transactions - paying for an airline ticket, paying a power bill, paying for a lorry of potatoes etc....now think of the Equity branch network which is already so pervasive.

PRIOR to M-Kesho, as a bar owner, potato broker, airline, power company, one would have to A) DRAW cash from an M-Pesa dealer B) Deposit the money or pay a supplier....CASH needed.

AFTER M-Kesho - people cited above just FORWARD the credit to a bank account. In essence all businesses, from KQ, KPLC to the SMEs to the SMMEs will find it beneficial to forward payments made through M-Pesa to their banks DIRECT. No cash needed. Thus win for Equity - corporate accounts. Win for SCOM - transaction costs.

For the mwananchi who has an M-Kesho account for every day stuff (fees, help out a friend, send to relatives) it also makes sense to have such an account...DIRECTLY link your Equity account and your ability to make transactions. No need to be told "hakuna float" - you are YOUR OWN FLOAT. Do what you will! Not just airtime top up and mobile balance inquiry...pay fees, bail out Jack, pay your tab at Njuguna's etc.

In the near term it may stimulate SOME business for M-Pesa agents, but there will be a shakedown and some will be killed and others enhanced as Equity FOSAs.

kenmac
#12 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2010 3:24:10 PM

Can i transfer money from mkesho to my equity account? I don't want to keep paying 75bob everytime i withdraw more than 5,001.
......Ecclesiastes
MaichBlack
#13 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2010 3:38:09 PM

kyt wrote:
@ moze, why would i pay 100 bob to deposit 9k in another a/c, that is what mpesa does!

Wewe!!! Wacha rongo! Depositing [MPesa] is free. If you want to transfer to another account then you must pay. How much does your bank charge you for RTGS. And it's still not instantaneous. Sometimes you have to wait in excess of an hour before the money is reflected in the recipient account.
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
MaichBlack
#14 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2010 3:46:20 PM

Wendz wrote:
hindi ni riu wrote:

You didnt hear someone say she'd rather be Single PAP? Its being used in street talk.

That's the problem right there. It is just a nice phrase but the message is not getting home. How many of the people who use the term PAP! actually understand how this Pesa PAP works? How many Wazuans know? Maybe we should do a poll.
mukiha
#15 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2010 4:04:29 PM

sizzla wrote:

Imagine you are running a small business and people are paying you via MPESA. You MPESA account can fill up to the 50k limit pretty quickly.

So you transfer the funds to MKESHO; free-up some space in you phone and continue trading.

I stand collected; but I think that was the idea....
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.