wazua Fri, Sep 27, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
windows xp verses ubuntu operating systems
tmatekwa
#1 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2010 11:04:46 PM

I am contemplating changing from my windows xp to Linux. Having cut my IT teeth on windows, I am just apprehensive. perhaps some IT savvy wazuarian can give me a helping hand.................what are the pros and cons for both syatems?
quicksand
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:50:03 AM

@Matekwa: Ubuntu is cool, user friendly and all until the day you need to use multi-media. Now my knowledge of the OS may be a bit dated (the last Ubuntu install I used was 8.04) and some things might have improved. Due to some licensing thingamajigs, mp3, avi, aac, wmv and other media you can imagine of do not play by default on most linux distributions. If you are patient however, you can build these stacks but it is a very painful process (you keep getting dependency errors where a downloaded library needs you to download yet another library and the vicious cycle continues on and on ...)

On one hand, with Linux you don't have to worry about viruses and stuff ...on the other, you can't watch movies, listen to music without going through the complicated setups first ...

Part Solution: Partition your hard drive into two, on one install XP or Windows 7, on the other install Ubuntu, install GRUB loader and you can switch between the OSes as you wish while enjoying the best of what each have to offer. Good luck.
Ash Ock
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 9:30:57 AM

tmatekwa wrote:
I am contemplating changing from my windows xp to Linux. Having cut my IT teeth on windows, I am just apprehensive. perhaps some IT savvy wazuarian can give me a helping hand.................what are the pros and cons for both syatems?

@Matekwa: Ubuntu is not bad. I use it on one of my comps as dual boot with windows 7.

Another option with massive multimedia support would be to install Mac OS X. If you're good fiddling around with OS's, you can find more information and installation guides here.

I've installed it on my Toshiba Satellite and it's fantastic. Took a while but trust me, it's worth it.
Sent from my Black Nokia 3310
murenj
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:11:43 AM

where can one get this programme? I can not see my self downloading 700 megabytes over the expensive safaricom network. I understand we have version 10 now. And what is the differance between linux, ubuntu, and macintosh?How good is version 10
wanyo
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:50:47 AM

Request for free CD(s) @ http://www.ubuntu.com/de...p/get-ubuntu/cd-and-dvd if you dont mind waiting.

Or Wait at wee hours of the night and download Laughing out loudly

vr. 10 makes heart skip
i too
theslim
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 3:02:22 PM

quicksand wrote:
...and some things might have improved. Due to some licensing thingamajigs, mp3, avi, aac, wmv and other media you can imagine of do not play by default on most linux distributions...

indeed ua version is outdated.
I have ver 10 on my laptop and there is no media that i can not play, by default.
Yeah, linux is free, infact u r encouraged to spread it.
Linux is the generic name for operating systems that are based on an open source copy of UNIX. Ubuntu is a Linux distribution sponsored by Canonical Ltd. and has variants like Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu etc
One good thing with linux is its simplicity.
Remember when u have to look for and install drivers for each and everything u plug into you computer? Well linux does that for you free of charge...from wireless networks and the rest, its plug and play.
the early worm is eaten by the early bird
murenj
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 3:11:48 PM

does it mean that you can surf the net without an anti virus? and how comes that this free nice sounding system is not used by the majority of computer users?
theslim
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 3:39:34 PM

Yes You Can.
Yes I DO. All you need is to update it regularly just like any other OS.
Because of the misconception that it is very complicated, and also cause people think that free things are bad and expensive (cheap is expensive)
the early worm is eaten by the early bird
kyt
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 01, 2010 8:48:16 AM

how can u install linux on mac computer,@quicksand, how do i switch in between OSes, it is achievable in macs?
LOVE WHAT YOU DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE.
quicksand
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 01, 2010 9:19:53 AM

@kyt. Never been up close and personal with a Mac. Out of my pocket's reach so I can not give you very reliable experience based advice on that platform.

To switch between OSes (Windows and Linux), you install the different copies on different hard-drive partitions (say C and D). Usually, install Windows first then Linux after (if you do it the other way Windows might overwrite the Linux bootloader). Most Linux distributions will come with Grub,a boot loader that detects other installed OSes, so when the computer is starting up, it gives you a list of all the Operating Systems on disk. All you do then is just choose. If your computer comes with a pre-installed OS (say Windows and only one drive C ,...common these days) you need the services of PartitionMagic (or equivalent). Create a new partition (say D from C) where you will install Linux

The other route is to install an emulator, like VMWare in Windows, then install another OS on top of the emulator (you can install Mac OS as well as Linux using this option, I have seen a laptop running Windows with Mac X on VMWare). When OSes are installed in VMWare, both are available without needing to restart the machine - the VMWare OS runs out of a window in the Windows OS)

There is a VMware for Mac, designed to get popular Windows-only apps to run on Mac, am not sure it can run Linux - you probably need to monkey around with it for it to work.

However VMWare costs money and because its emulation runs the installed OS a bit slower than native hardware.
wanyo
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 01, 2010 10:20:10 AM

murenj wrote:
does it mean that you can surf the net without an anti virus? and how comes that this free nice sounding system is not used by the majority of computer users?

Ubuntu or Linux is developed by community (read global linux experts comming together to develop a system) where one contributes freely makes the OS to be free unlike Apple-Mac or Windows who are a closed group but paid and the OS must be sold to cover costs and make profit.

the Open Community in the case of linux ensures end product is very stable unlike Closed group Windows hence minimal need for antivirus.

For servers Linux is the most popular. for personal computing is the windows because most PCs/laptops are pre-installed with windows before shipping.

i too
kachero
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 01, 2010 11:10:01 AM

@ Kyt- if your Mac is running on any of their OSes (snow leopard, Mac OS X etc) you need not run the Linux way as their(Macintosh OS) are built from Unix-consider them as one of the flavor/variant
kyt
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 01, 2010 11:22:21 AM

snow leopard it is!
LOVE WHAT YOU DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE.
YesuWangu
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 01, 2010 2:39:21 PM

Fellow kenyans, you are not helping tmatekwa much. whats up with not giving him all information so that he chooses. linux is about choice isnt it? well, ubuntu is all linux yes, but linux is not all ubuntu. there are so many 'linuxes'. tmatekwa, wachana na ubuntu that cannot play media. please browse www.distrowatch.com and choose the linux you feel and think is best for you. All the linux you will find there are best depending on your circumstance. like quick sand finds ubuntu best for him. personally, i have 2 installed in my laptop. pclinuxos, the main one and linux mint the alternate one.
selah
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 01, 2010 5:26:49 PM

I am currently using ubuntu 9.1 it has problem playing mp3 or any multi media but the other functions are superb.

It has its own office which is more or less the same with microsoft office but the best thing about this office is that it can convert the doc. into PDF or microsoft word.

Actually I have installed it side by side with windows.
'......to the acknowledgment of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; 3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.' Colossians 2:2-3
quicksand
#16 Posted : Thursday, September 02, 2010 9:26:13 AM

@tmatekwa: YesuWake is right smile many linuxes out there and everyone fronts their favourite I guess ...however, I have also played with SuSe, Debian, Solaris 10 and an old RedHat (7) ...found most of the functions similar. RedHat 7, was the hardest to get up and running. This was some time back. My advice is to find the distro that has the best multi-media support, and also one that has been a widely installed. For instance, you will find many answers to issues regarding Ubuntu because lots of folks have installed it (as compared to monkeylinux for instance). SuSe has a beautiful multi-desktop feature (don't know if the others have copied) ...for Enterprise software development/service deployment, go RedHat.

As a footnote, I am in IT but I have been cured of the Linux curiosity ...a lot of productivity software is still not available for Linux yet ...when the boss comes running breathing fire with deadlines, time to fiddle with stuff sort of just evaporates. But trudge on, curiosity increases knowledge
msotoville
#17 Posted : Thursday, September 02, 2010 2:43:21 PM

tmatekwa wrote:

If you still need a windows feel or want to run some apps in windows, install wine. Learn more here.
So nice that its nasty, so bangin' its busting,
So slick that its sick, so dope its disgusting!
mzeiya411
#18 Posted : Thursday, September 02, 2010 4:54:11 PM

Linux mint is very mzuri. To aid in your decision making u ca n install a program called VMware which you can virtualize a linux installation to see which one best fits u.
mzeiya411
#19 Posted : Thursday, September 02, 2010 4:57:35 PM

quicksand wrote:

However VMWare costs money and because its emulation runs the installed OS a bit slower than native hardware.

Hey VMware can be downloaded off the net for free. if u have a laptop with decent specs i.e 2.0Ghz, 2G RAM and above u wunt feel the performance lag
tmatekwa
#20 Posted : Thursday, September 02, 2010 8:39:10 PM

this is becoming interesting. is there anyone out there with a copy of this operating system?