wazua Wed, Jun 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Any Scientists in the house
BGL
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:18:30 PM

i)How does HIV cause AIDS?
ii)Can HIV be cured with stem cell therapy?

Discuss.
History will not remember you for your IQ. It will remember you for what you did. “Genius is 1 percent inspiration, 99 percent perspiration.” Thomas Edison
Kusadikika
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:50:49 PM

BGL wrote:

Discuss.

Kwanza Definition: AIDS Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome. The condition of the body in which its defence system is compromised so that it is not able to protect itself from infection.

So how does HIV cause this condition. Now in a normal body there are things called white blood cells (there are several types of these lakini I don't feel like going into the details for now) which are like the askaris of the body. They arrest any bad guys that try to get into the body. You are in a crowded matatu and some guy with TB keeps coughing and releasing the TB Bacteria into the air which you breath in but you don't develop TB. As soon as the TB bacteria gets in your throat or in your lungs where it would begin to multiply and cause problems these Askaris come and arrest it, beat it up and take it to Kamiti (Lymph Nodes) where they destroy it. Every day these blood Askaris take care of bad guys that come through all sorts of routes lungs, stomach (umekula Nyama imeoza kidogo), skin (Umesalimiana na mikono hujui zilikuwa wapi) etc. You get exposed to infectious agents every minute of every day but when you have healthy White blood cells (good askaris) you don't notice it and you go about life kama kawaida posting on Wazua, organising mbuzi parties, looking for airports to land your pine tree etc.

HIV (Human Imunodefficiency Virus) is a little useless virus that actually does not cause any disease on its own. What it does however is that it targets the Askari white blood cells that keep bad guys away from your body. The virus attaches itself to some of the white blood cells so that they are not able to perform the function of fighting off infection. So as explained above the next time you are in a matatu and someone coughs TB in your face. The TB bacteria goes straight into the lungs and since hakuna mtu inaziuliza it sets up house and starts reproducing. Unapata TB. Meanwhile some fungus nazo zinaanza kumea kwa matumbo na unaanza kuhara. Bacteria zingine nazo zinaanza kuvamia your skin and you have all these vidondas. There are always infectious material everywhere you go and as soon as you don't have defence ni kama zinaitana zote. Pneumonia ndiyo hiyo, Herpes Zoster, Fungal infections zote zinakuvamia. Sasa Hapo ndipo tunasema una UKIMWI (Ukosefu wa Kinga Mwilini a.k.a AIDS.
Ms Mkenya
#3 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 12:50:38 AM

@ kusadikika, i hope you're a teacher. You put the story perfectly together.
....above all, to stand.
radio
#4 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 8:57:36 AM

@kusadikika...Applause Applause Applause
jguru
#5 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 10:46:54 AM

HIV becomes AIDS when the body does not have the necessary defense to fight regular infections (See @Kusadikika above). HIV does not necessary kill you; what kills you are the TB, pneumonia, meningitis, diarrhoea and fungal infections, which the body cannot fight any more.

HIV is virus, that mutates too fast for stem cell therapy to have any significant effect. Stem cell therapy works well for leukemia, since it is not an infection, and the cancer cells are well replaced by the more rapidly dividing stem cells. Stem cell therapy is, however, socially, ethically and medically controversial.

IMHO, if HIV/AIDS was a greater caucasian problem like ahlzeimer and cancer are, there would be more extensive research and probably a cure by now. But it will remain a problem of sub-Saharan Africa.
Set out to correct the world's wrongs and you will most certainly wind up adding to them.
kadonye
#6 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 11:59:55 AM

Interesting.So how do ARVs work?
What a wicked man I am!The things I want to do,I don't do.The things I don't want to do I find myself doing
Dash
#7 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 11:02:44 PM

most arv's target the replication proteins of the virus which helps in reducing the speed at which the virus replicates BUT cannot eliminate the virus. they do this mainly by inhibiting different proteins required for the virus to replicate. however, the virus is a "master" when it comes to mutation, so in the most lay man term i can muster, it has the ability to "dodge" the arv's in their function by finding alternative routes to their replication. That is why different arv's are used in conjuction with each other giving rise to use of HAART (highly active anti retroviral therapy)in short, this is a combination of arv's put together, so when the virus in the body "dodges" one type of arv, there is another to deal with
redi
#8 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 11:25:34 PM

ARVs,apart from modifying the natural history of HIV infection.It is used to reduce infections after exposure-occupationa,nonoccupational and Mother-child.
Intelligentsia
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2010 12:06:07 PM

when a mosquito bites and sucks the blood of a serop-ositive person, and then goes to vomit and suck the blood of a sero-negative person, the HIV-ve fellow doesn't contract the virus.
So clearly something happens to neutralise the HIV in the mosquito's stomach.
What is this? Could it be a potential cure|?
Gordon Gekko
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2010 12:23:54 PM

As far as my knowledge tells me, HIV is unable to outside of body fluids, even for a second, hence they kick the bucket immediately a mosquito ingests blood.
masukuma
#11 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2010 1:54:16 PM

some people should just use google -> google is your friend.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
BGL
#12 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2010 2:27:39 PM

@masukuma
===This trend of googling everything is producing people who cannot critically think because of hitting the copy+paste *magical button*====

Some facts on this dreaded pandemic caused by a rather simple virus called HIV, which i prefer to call the master of disguise. For the last 26 years scientists have battled this virus which remains elusive as a result of many factors but what stands out most is its ability to induce a vicious cycle of generating its substrates which it re-infects again and again until the immune system is exhausted and when it cannot fight anymore. At that point the immune system is overwhelmed AIDS defining ailments set in and no going back. That is why knowing your HIV status is a good thing.

The battle to combat HIV has been long and it is going to take many more years to contain this pandemic which is the worst ever of our times. However,all is not lost and we are making good progress in as far as creating a situation where you can live with the virus just as long as God wanted you to live. Through zinc finger nuclease gene-editing technology it possible to harvest un-infected CD4-positive T-cells from a patient and knock out the co-receptor (CCR5) that HIV prefers to use early in infection to enter the cell,then grow the cells in culture to a certain level and put them back to the same patient. Equally important is the fact that the body cannot reject what it is its own so no expensive medication unlike other transplants. This research work is informed by groups of people who have a genetic advantage and HIV bounces of even when it has the opportunity to establish a productive infection.

In Kenya though this technology is quite expensive it can only apply to the patient with subtype A but not subtype D,since the later uses a different coreceptor very early in infection. In addition to being very aggressive. Infection with subtype D is responsible for the faster progression to death in some patients. Have you ever wondered why some people die of HIV so fast and others exhibit mental disturbances (HIV associated Dementia),it is this subtype D which is responsible. Its also important to note that it has a highway-corridor which extends from Mombasa deep into Congo. So,as we spend days and nights searching for the ever elusive vaccine for HIV,beware of this deadly pandemic. Male circumcision reduces the chances of contracting the virus by upto 66%; this may explain why the ratio of infected men:women in communities that face the knife is lower than those that do not. Although other factors for instance progestin and progesterol which are women specific hormones have much more role in induction of the state of chronic immune activation which is an independent predictor of progression to AIDS.

I have to emphasize that not all encounters with causes a productive infection but no one should take chances. For the moment what we need most is putting all the human beings...i mean all human beings requiring ARVs on HAART,i understand in Kenya about 60% of those requiring these medications cannot access them.

There is also some very good news. Some people from Kenya have a truncated protein (CCR5) and can never get infection. The frequency is very low and the truncation (deletion of 6 critical amino acids) while for caucasians have (deletion of 32bp) with the later having been studied conclusively. With this sort of truncation most of the HIV strains that seed infection early in infection bounce of for homozygotes and are less efficient for heterozygotes. The study is still in its early stages..... more details later.
History will not remember you for your IQ. It will remember you for what you did. “Genius is 1 percent inspiration, 99 percent perspiration.” Thomas Edison
masukuma
#13 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2010 3:44:24 PM

google for the sake of getting the getting info. not for the sake of intellectual willie wagging.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
BGL
#14 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2010 4:41:18 PM

masukuma wrote:
google for the sake of getting the getting info. not for the sake of intellectual willie wagging.

On this project i am collaborating with IT gurus who think, drink & eat ALGORITHMS. Make no mistake, one of them has written an algorithm that converts water into food. We need real thinkers not *google copy-cats*, originality breeds inventions.
slykat
#15 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2010 7:25:24 PM

BGL wrote:

Discuss.

Am not a scientist but from my general knowledge;

1. HIV leads to AIDS by infecting and destroying hapless CD4 cells in the body, responsible for fighting off infections and foreign bodies. These t-cells cannot fight off the virus itself effectively because it disguises and changes itself too fast. Once a person has too few cd4 cells to fight off even a cold, they enter the AIDS stage.

2. Yes, in theory. If you can create cd4 cells with certain mutations such as a lack of entry points for the virus..then the virus would be unable to infect cd4s... no immune deficiency thus. What am I saying? The patient in Germany who was cured by first having his immune cells destroyed, then transplanted with donated (not from stem-cells)immune cells that had the mutation that puts his HIV subtype beyond reach of the cd4s, is a starting point. If you can create such cells in a lab from stem-cells... you are 30% there.

No, in practice... for this to be effective, you gotta destroy the existing immunity cells through deadly bone-marrow chemotherapy followed by transplant. Now, chances of surviving this process are below 30%.

The only reason this was tried on the German patient was because he was dying from leukemia which had to be treated through the deadly process anyway. Luckily, he survived the process and was cured of the virus.

As am not an expert, I stand to be corrected.

kizee
#16 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2010 6:34:28 PM

BGL wrote:
@masukuma
===This trend of googling everything is producing people who cannot critically think because of hitting the copy+paste *magical button*====

Some facts on this dreaded pandemic caused by a rather simple virus called HIV, which i prefer to call the master of disguise. For the last 26 years scientists have battled this virus which remains elusive as a result of many factors but what stands out most is its ability to induce a vicious cycle of generating its substrates which it re-infects again and again until the immune system is exhausted and when it cannot fight anymore. At that point the immune system is overwhelmed AIDS defining ailments set in and no going back. That is why knowing your HIV status is a good thing.

The battle to combat HIV has been long and it is going to take many more years to contain this pandemic which is the worst ever of our times. However,all is not lost and we are making good progress in as far as creating a situation where you can live with the virus just as long as God wanted you to live. Through zinc finger nuclease gene-editing technology it possible to harvest un-infected CD4-positive T-cells from a patient and knock out the co-receptor (CCR5) that HIV prefers to use early in infection to enter the cell,then grow the cells in culture to a certain level and put them back to the same patient. Equally important is the fact that the body cannot reject what it is its own so no expensive medication unlike other transplants. This research work is informed by groups of people who have a genetic advantage and HIV bounces of even when it has the opportunity to establish a productive infection.

In Kenya though this technology is quite expensive it can only apply to the patient with subtype A but not subtype D,since the later uses a different coreceptor very early in infection. In addition to being very aggressive. Infection with subtype D is responsible for the faster progression to death in some patients. Have you ever wondered why some people die of HIV so fast and others exhibit mental disturbances (HIV associated Dementia),it is this subtype D which is responsible. Its also important to note that it has a highway-corridor which extends from Mombasa deep into Congo. So,as we spend days and nights searching for the ever elusive vaccine for HIV,beware of this deadly pandemic. Male circumcision reduces the chances of contracting the virus by upto 66%; this may explain why the ratio of infected men:women in communities that face the knife is lower than those that do not. Although other factors for instance progestin and progesterol which are women specific hormones have much more role in induction of the state of chronic immune activation which is an independent predictor of progression to AIDS.

I have to emphasize that not all encounters with causes a productive infection but no one should take chances. For the moment what we need most is putting all the human beings...i mean all human beings requiring ARVs on HAART,i understand in Kenya about 60% of those requiring these medications cannot access them.

There is also some very good news. Some people from Kenya have a truncated protein (CCR5) and can never get infection. The frequency is very low and the truncation (deletion of 6 critical amino acids) while for caucasians have (deletion of 32bp) with the later having been studied conclusively. With this sort of truncation most of the HIV strains that seed infection early in infection bounce of for homozygotes and are less efficient for heterozygotes. The study is still in its early stages..... more details later.

hi broski...u seem rather well versed on this topic...KTN did a story abt HIV...seems like white folk(wazungu) dont contract as easily as us black folk..why is this? is this true?
BGL
#17 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2010 7:13:45 PM

The routes of transmission of HIV in wazungu is different from us, and this explains why even as the virus infects people with disproportionate levels, African womens are more infected than men and the inverse is true for wazungus. In Africa or should i say in Kenya, transmission is heterosexual...men infecting women sexually. Most infected wazungus are in the group we call MSM, men who have sex with men.

Another thing is that, HIV uses a receptor to enter your body cells. In a population less than 1% they have the truncation of this receptor and the Virus bounces back, in heterozygotes which means you inherit the truncation from only one parent (10-20%) infection occurs but less frequently. We do not have this truncation in Kenya BUT we have some people having a different sort of truncation on the same protein and the virus bounces back as well. We have no statistics on the population with this truncation in Kenya though it exists.

Its quite difficult to do research in Africa sometimes because of lack of funding, high voltage politicking and demoralized staff.
nostoppingthis
#18 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:56:05 AM

@BGL...from your many posts, you seem to work in a hospital...ama you raised the topic to educate the masses?
kizee
#19 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 12:19:25 PM

[quote=BGL]
The routes of transmission of HIV in wazungu is different from us, and this explains why even as the virus infects people with disproportionate levels, African womens are more infected than men and the inverse is true for wazungus. In Africa or should i say in Kenya, transmission is heterosexual...men infecting women sexually. Most infected wazungus are in the group we call MSM, men who have sex with men.

Another thing is that, HIV uses a receptor to enter your body cells. In a population less than 1% they have the truncation of this receptor and the Virus bounces back, in heterozygotes which means you inherit the truncation from only one parent (10-20%) infection occurs but less frequently. We do not have this truncation in Kenya BUT we have some people having a different sort of truncation on the same protein and the virus bounces back as well. We have no statistics on the population with this truncation in Kenya though it exists.

thanks....so the theory that AIDS is biological warfare is valid?
Ric dees
#20 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 12:26:00 PM

@Wazua
I suggested sometime back for a thinkers room,the above post would be the resultant of such a forum. It would be a forum where we discuss critical issues on a very informed level that affect/benefit all of us..I can give you guidelines just ask.

The greatest danger in times of turbulence is not the turbulence; it is to act with yesterday's logic.