wazua Wed, May 22, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
Managed Forex Accounts
Extrapreneur
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:13:42 PM

I have been reading through a couple of posts and one of the most honest yet brutal is one where a new farer inquires on learning forex and the answer given was that you have to give yourself at least one year to learn forex otherwise, your capital would be wiped out. Very honest, but not the entire story.

Getting a managed account can be one of the best ways to get into forex without having to learn it yourself. I mean, just because you are sick does not mean it is time to enroll in med school, now does it? There are many forex gurus out there (no pun intended)and they have some pretty hefty experience.

Nevertheless, what do you think of having someone else, who has the requisite experience, to manage your account for a small margin of the profits? Does experience = less losses + more profits? What defines an experienced and able account manager? Would you, as an experienced forex trader, manage another persons account with all the attendant risk involved?

Join the discussion on the first freelance community network in Kenya. If you'd like your blog included on the site, kindly email it to me at info@penwiseassociates.com or simply join the discussion in the forum section

The Merchant
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:12:10 PM

Extrapreneur wrote:
I have been reading through a couple of posts and one of the most honest yet brutal is one where a new farer inquires on learning forex and the answer given was that you have to give yourself at least one year to learn forex otherwise, your capital would be wiped out. Very honest, but not the entire story.

Getting a managed account can be one of the best ways to get into forex without having to learn it yourself. I mean, just because you are sick does not mean it is time to enroll in med school, now does it? There are many forex gurus out there (no pun intended)and they have some pretty hefty experience.

Nevertheless, what do you think of having someone else, who has the requisite experience, to manage your account for a small margin of the profits? Does experience = less losses + more profits? What defines an experienced and able account manager? Would you, as an experienced forex trader, manage another persons account with all the attendant risk involved?

So who are you recommending sir?
Extrapreneur
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 01, 2010 2:46:59 PM

Actually, it's an open question, or a number of questions. I know you know quite a bit about trading forex,would you consider managing an account for a commission on your takings?
Join the discussion on the first freelance community network in Kenya. If you'd like your blog included on the site, kindly email it to me at info@penwiseassociates.com or simply join the discussion in the forum section

The Merchant
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 01, 2010 3:05:55 PM

Extrapreneur wrote:
Actually, it's an open question, or a number of questions. I know you know quite a bit about trading forex,would you consider managing an account for a commission on your takings?

Yes I would.
Extrapreneur
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 01, 2010 3:19:03 PM

The Merchant wrote:
Extrapreneur wrote:

Yes I would.

How can I contact you? email me at the address in my signature so we can talk.

The Merchant
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 01, 2010 3:48:46 PM

Extrapreneur wrote:
The Merchant wrote:
Extrapreneur wrote:

Yes I would.

How can I contact you? email me at the address in my signature so we can talk.

Okay Il send you an email shortly.
The Merchant
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 01, 2010 5:02:27 PM

@EXTRA...CHECK YOUR EMAIL.
Mitaji
#8 Posted : Monday, September 06, 2010 5:08:08 PM

The most important aspect of learning Forex are persistence and patience.Do not trade borrowed money. Ever!I would say two years demo trading then open a micro account on year 3. Micro accounts allow you to get your feet wet without drowning. Contact me if you need any more info regarding forex.Don't want anyone going through what I did.
The Merchant
#9 Posted : Monday, September 06, 2010 6:07:28 PM

Mitaji wrote:
The most important aspect of learning Forex are persistence and patience.Do not trade borrowed money. Ever!I would say two years demo trading then open a micro account on year 3. Micro accounts allow you to get your feet wet without drowning. Contact me if you need any more info regarding forex.Don't want anyone going through what I did.

Applause Applause I agree completely. Please learn before you risk too much capital. The market rewards the best trained and punishes the rest brutally!
Mitaji
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 07, 2010 2:35:28 PM

Kenyans need to control their greed. The reason Forex managed accounts may have burnt people fingers is that guys are hungry for quick returns.I laugh when people ask me 'how much can I make per month?' So I'm looking at the guy thinking 'its a goddamn market!' doesn't quite follow your monthly cycle. Like any other tradeable instruments, currencies have up-trends, down-trends & ranging periods. The advantage with currencies is that you can be long or short,so you may trade in any of these situations, hence more trading opportunities. So with good risk management a successful Money manager will give you yearly return that NSE traders can only dream of.Just make sure you agree on what risk level you are willing to take.Then think per annum returns in forex and you'll go very far.
Extrapreneur
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 07, 2010 11:58:59 PM

The Merchant wrote:
@EXTRA...CHECK YOUR EMAIL.

Did you get my reply?

Extrapreneur
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 08, 2010 12:02:59 AM

Mitaji wrote:
Kenyans need to control their greed. The reason Forex managed accounts may have burnt people fingers is that guys are hungry for quick returns.I laugh when people ask me 'how much can I make per month?' So I'm looking at the guy thinking 'its a goddamn market!' doesn't quite follow your monthly cycle. Like any other tradeable instruments, currencies have up-trends, down-trends & ranging periods. The advantage with currencies is that you can be long or short,so you may trade in any of these situations, hence more trading opportunities. So with good risk management a successful Money manager will give you yearly return that NSE traders can only dream of.Just make sure you agree on what risk level you are willing to take.Then think per annum returns in forex and you'll go very far.

Very wise advice. Now you and Merchant seem to be quite knowledgeable in Forex matters. I'm more of an entrepreneur so I cannot refer to myself as a career trader. Nevertheless, I explore automated/ systematized/ equation driven trading. Has any of you used hedging strategies before? Do you mind sharing here what hedging strategies you use and how they have worked out so far?

Mitaji
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 08, 2010 10:49:43 AM

I do not use and I'm yet to meet a trader who makes consistent profits using hedging.Hedging is for commercial trading e.g KQ hedging the price of fuel to secure their purchase price.All it does in forex is give you a false sense of security that you 'win' no matter the markets direction.
Another thing about forex.There are hundreds of indicators on broker platforms. Some claim to be 'leading' & some repaint, but you need to be careful.If I was your broker company, I wouldn't give you all these for free if I knew it could help you take my money.
Wendz
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 08, 2010 10:51:56 AM

Extrapreneur wrote:

Very wise advice. Now you and Merchant seem to be quite knowledgeable in Forex matters. I'm more of an entrepreneur so I cannot refer to myself as a career trader. Nevertheless, I explore automated/ systematized/ equation driven trading. Has any of you used hedging strategies before? Do you mind sharing here what hedging strategies you use and how they have worked out so far?

Am listening too....

The Merchant
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 08, 2010 11:23:21 AM

Mitaji wrote:
I do not use and I'm yet to meet a trader who makes consistent profits using hedging.Hedging is for commercial trading e.g KQ hedging the price of fuel to secure their purchase price.All it does in forex is give you a false sense of security that you 'win' no matter the markets direction.
Another thing about forex.There are hundreds of indicators on broker platforms. Some claim to be 'leading' & some repaint, but you need to be careful.If I was your broker company, I wouldn't give you all these for free if I knew it could help you take my money.

I disagree. Hedging does help. It does not give one a false sense of security. The markrt can be volatile so there is nothing wrong with hedging. In fact it does reduce the profits somewhat. I do not know the broker you are using but I believe it is in the best interest of a broker that you make money so they can continue making money from you on spreads. They really do not want you to lose. @ EXTRA go through baby pips first.It has a silly name but is very resourceful.smile
kizee
#16 Posted : Wednesday, September 08, 2010 11:45:33 AM

Wendz wrote:
Extrapreneur wrote:

Am listening too....

yes agreed with merchant...hedging by definition implies commercial and not speculative activity..u cud however spec on products sold for hedging purposes(derivatives et al)...extraprenuer u raise an interesting point..algo/system based trading is getting rather popular of late...can ne rather complex and messy lakini if u hav mob acpital it can be rather profitable
The Merchant
#17 Posted : Wednesday, September 08, 2010 12:44:14 PM

Extrapreneur wrote:
Mitaji wrote:

I hope you have a background in programming if you want to develop your own trading robot. However they do well if well set. Now I use hedging for example in the following way;
I get into a trade and it starts losing getting very close to the stop loss. I then hedge by taking out a trade in the opposite direction thus cancelling oyut any further loss. In the meantime I get a clear head on the direction to take which can involve either just accepting the loss and closing the losing trade, waiting for a reversal in the next trading session. In this case, hedging has been used to buy me time allowing me to correct any mistakes made or to introduce a new strategy altogether. I therefore recommend hedging in forex trading.
Extrapreneur
#18 Posted : Wednesday, September 08, 2010 1:30:08 PM

I have been using a purely hedging formula and so far, so good. However, it is not in a speculative way, hoping for time to correct mistakes made in other trades. My strategy works on the principle that the market is aways cyclic, whether in the short term or long term. Now, I open two opposite positions simultaneously. It would be best if they had the same market entry so you do not lose out on any small change that could happen before you open the opposite trade. I then have a take profit amount that is what I'm willing to take, plus spread. No stop losses. I set two pending trades based on my T/P in case the market goes on a Bull run (my buy position), and two trades on the T/P value if the market goes on a Bear run (on my sell position). These four new positions also have T/P values using the same formula for the initial (now open) positions. For the buy, +n, and for the sell, -n pips. If the market decides to go up and the T/P for my Buy position is hit, the other two Buy&Sell positions immediately kick in. If the trend continues, I set other similar pending opposite trades with increasing values based on (n). Now, at some point, the trend will reverse. When this happens, you have two options, for every losing sell position, you can open a buy so that when the sell turns to a profit, the new buy becomes a loss and you cancel out both at zero loss. (Remember you had already locked in your profit so settling your open trades at zero is to be desired). You can do this until all your losing trades have been neutralized. Alternatively, you can decide to switch loses and keep riding the now opposite trend. i.e. for every Sell position that has now reversed, you can let it hit it's take profit and retain the losing buy position. At the end of that trend, you'll have the same amount of loss, only in the opposite direction but now you have double profits. If you decide to close all your loss making positions at this point, you will retain half of your total profits. If you decide to continue riding the trend, you can continue this indefinitely. However, be warned, it is better to resolve your trades maybe once every week or two weeks because switching trades can get rather complex especially when you have trends reversing haphazardly.

Mitaji
#19 Posted : Wednesday, September 08, 2010 1:41:23 PM

@merchant.If it works for you, then thats fine but as I said, I'm yet to met a trader who uses hedging for speculative purposes and consistently profits from it.

About brokers, I've had accounts with some of the best brokers in the world...My broker was in the UK. UK brokers are among the best as they are regulated by the FSA.I was trading by phone on a first name basis with trading desk staff, chatting online about favorite soccer teams and all that sh*t. I was so casual with one of these guys that one day, he bore it all. First of all he said he himself would 'never' trade forex. He said that the odds are so heavily stacked against you, eventually a market-maker broker knows you will lose your money. Yes, he profits from spread, but he lies in wait for that day.So he may do all he can to get your money. If you make money (by news trading or other shaky way) these guys may start targeting you account using slippage, requotes and hunting your stops during normal trading.So use limit orders only.

The only traders brokers 'care' for are institutional traders.They want these guys in for the long term cause they trade 50 or even 100 lots per trade. High volumes = high transaction fees. You, the retail trader they can do without. Btw, at that time you needed about 10m pounds and min trade volume of 4 m pounds/month to open/maintain an institutional account.

My point is this, get a well regulated broker, preferably in the UK, Switzerland or Australia.That way,you have a case on any malpractice on your account. If you also did not read the fine print on your contract, here is another shocker. Should your broker go bust, resident account holders get priority in compensation. This brings me to my next point, Whatever you do, do not open accounts with brokers based in those funny tax havens.Shame on you Broking is a business, so look for reviews online e.g @forexpeacearmy.com and see what other traders are saying about your broker.

Finally, get your brokers books (should be available if they are listed) and see if they are managing their accounts well. If not, do not bother opening an account with them.
The Merchant
#20 Posted : Wednesday, September 08, 2010 2:32:27 PM

I am not advocating hedging as a speculative mode of trading rather a risk management system. Note that I do not mention hedging until one discover their losses may be spiralling out of control. If you want to use hedging to trade you are looking for small pricing differences in the currencies which is called arbitrage trading. Check out stephen alala's posts. You seem to have a few things in common. Maybe I could learn something also.