wazua Sun, Oct 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Is this "show of might" justified?
KulaRaha
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:18:22 PM

I am Kenyan. I voted YES and was thrilled that finally we have a new const., and somewhere on the horizon is the faint light of hope that shows the road to reform and improvement.

But I don't think we should be celebrating this with driving tanks and flying fighter jets. Surely that lazy army of ours can be put to much better use rather than just a hollow show of might.

And to think of all the money we are wasting on this.

Wouldn't it be better to have a meeting to honour freedom fighters, men and women who fought for reform through the dark days of Kenyatta and Moi?

Surely that is what the second republic stands for, not some fat Colonel who has duty-free allocations and no real job.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
mwenza
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:25:34 PM

.....................sisemi kitu.
IF YOU EXPECT ME TO POST ANYTHING POSITIVE ABOUT ASENO, YOU MAY AS WELL SIT ON A PIN
selah
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:33:32 PM

There is always time for all that (visiting the freedom fighter)but watching the parade .....well I cant wait.And mind you I voted NO and most probably I will be the loudest in that celebration.

Relax, this things happen rarely.Come and celebrate the New birth with fellow Kenyans.

'......to the acknowledgment of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; 3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.' Colossians 2:2-3
willin2learn
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:35:25 PM

KulaRaha wrote:
I am Kenyan. I voted YES and was thrilled that finally we have a new const., and somewhere on the horizon is the faint light of hope that shows the road to reform and improvement.

But I don't think we should be celebrating this with driving tanks and flying fighter jets. Surely that lazy army of ours can be put to much better use rather than just a hollow show of might.

Wouldn't it be better to have a meeting to honour freedom fighters, men and women who fought for reform through the dark days of Kenyatta and Moi?

Surely that is what the second republic stands for, not some fat Colonel who has duty-free allocations and no real job.

Bwana Chairman,

The first step in sourcing the Billions of Shillings required to implement the new Constitution is spending 200 million just to 'promulgate' it...Real maendeleo it is!
bkismat
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:21:50 PM

KulaRaha wrote:

'Matthew 26:11
John 12:8
Mark 14:7
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt...
-Mark Twain
KulaRaha
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:27:28 PM

I would have rather showcased true Kenyan pride:

- our athletes with numerous gold medals;
- Equity bank with their amazing banking model envied world over;
- Safcon for Mpesa, another first just from Kenya;
- The tea traders from Mombasa, which control the world's tea prices;
- KWS, for their championing the fight against poaching

These seem to be achievements Kenyans can be proud of, rather than pot-bellied soldiers who moonlight selling tax-free booze and import cars on behalf of others.

LOL
simonkabz
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:46:29 PM

What is the Armed Forces role, ALL OVER THE WORLD, in matters of sovereignity, territorial integrity, the constitution n national pride? What r the THREE pillars of a STATE? Are freedom fighters, coffee n tea thieves the pillars of a recognized sovereign state? Which country doesnt showcase its might in any national celebration? I aint justifying anything, bt thats how things have been since I was born....I dnt knw if u have been seeing the same things bw Kularaha.
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
KulaRaha
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:06:42 PM

Simon, youre right. Countries have been showcasing military might for years, all this is a hangover from the cold war. Back then, you used to be aligned to one of the two super powers, and in order to remain a "worthy" ally, you showcased hardware at every occassion. This ensure you got your grants and subsidies quick smart.

Now, there are no superpowers, there are no enemies, its all economic my friend. Those guys you call theives in the tea trade bring valuable forex to this country, and pay taxes to fatten our uneducated armed forces.
simonkabz
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:23:36 PM

Why the excessive contempt? Btw did u just say Lazy, Fat, uneducated n unnecessary? U r misleading the house my friend, I hav just realized ua argument is baseless, without any trace of truth. What could have driven u to such malicious lies bw. Kularaha with all due respect?
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
selah
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:27:49 PM

simonkabz wrote:
What is the Armed Forces role, ALL OVER THE WORLD, in matters of sovereignity, territorial integrity, the constitution n national pride? What r the THREE pillars of a STATE? Are freedom fighters, coffee n tea thieves the pillars of a recognized sovereign state? Which country doesnt showcase its might in any national celebration? I aint justifying anything, bt thats how things have been since I was born....I dnt knw if u have been seeing the same things bw Kularaha.

Tell them, I wish I was the one climbing mount Kenya to host the second Flag.

Athletes ,Equity bank,safaricom have always been appreciated but the promulgation will happen once.
'......to the acknowledgment of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; 3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.' Colossians 2:2-3
nostoppingthis
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:45:00 PM

Uganda came out looking stronger from the migingo issue...do you agree? They had military presence on the island. We seemed not to even know how to react to this. That aside, i believe a show of might is necessary. I repeat again, did you guys see China's might during the celebrations to mark sijui 60 years anniversary as communists!! CNN (read USA)was shocked...
nostoppingthis
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:47:03 PM

willin2learn wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:

Bwana Chairman,

The first step in sourcing the Billions of Shillings required to implement the new Constitution is spending 200 million just to 'promulgate' it...Real maendeleo it is!

@Willin@learn...mbona "Chairman"?
4X
#13 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 12:47:03 PM

What you've just seen is nothin compared to what we really have.the real stuff was left behind for security reasons.no regional state would dare !we would simply vapourise them.however we prefer to take a low profile.thats why we have been generaly peaceful all along .long live Kenya!!
kyt
#14 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2010 8:47:49 AM

4X wrote:
What you've just seen is nothin compared to what we really have.the real stuff was left behind for security reasons.no regional state would dare !we would simply vapourise them.however we prefer to take a low profile.thats why we have been generaly peaceful all along .long live Kenya!!

i tend to think so too!
LOVE WHAT YOU DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE.
Gordon Gekko
#15 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2010 10:27:57 AM

'the real stuff was left behind for security reasons' What hogwash of a statement is this? Go to Janes Weekly - it has all the info on what we have.
mwenza
#16 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2010 11:26:39 AM

4X wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly ...........Kwani who forced us to display the military ware? If we cant display the best then we should not have displayed any military equipment at all. Period!
IF YOU EXPECT ME TO POST ANYTHING POSITIVE ABOUT ASENO, YOU MAY AS WELL SIT ON A PIN
youcan'tstopusnow
#17 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2010 3:06:37 PM

4X wrote:

Why don't we vapourise the Al-shabab who keep kidnapping people in Mandera.
GOD BLESS YOUR LIFE
Money Whisperer
#18 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2010 9:07:07 PM

KulaRaha wrote:
I

You have enjoyed so many years of peace with your neighbours that you forget the role the military play. If we didn't have the army Museveni and Somalia would have taken over this country long time ago. These are the guys who make us be a country, so next time you see that fat colonel salute him.
"Money never sleeps"
KenyanLyrics
#19 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2010 2:35:47 AM

Money Whisperer wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:
I

You have enjoyed so many years of peace with your neighbours that you forget the role the military play. If we didn't have the army Museveni and Somalia would have taken over this country long time ago. These are the guys who make us be a country, so next time you see that fat colonel salute him.

Applause Applause Applause
simonkabz
#20 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2010 2:57:57 AM

Well, the last 2posts r a perfect summary.
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!