wazua Sun, Oct 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
KATIBA MILITARY PARADE
freiks
#1 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 7:25:42 PM

I never thought kenya had such military manpower. This one makes al shabaab look like children playing in the mud after a downpour. I just wonder whether its really about katiba or its BAKS reminding Horn of Africa that kenya will not be shoved and pushed military wise
Life is an endless adventure
Intelligentsia
#2 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 7:57:48 PM

It is all part of passing on subtle messages to our potential enemies, plus a reaffirmation of the military's readiness to defend the second Republic of Kenya...
I saw the new Chinese choppers that were recently acquired. Can the gova plse continue modernising our forces with superior techonlogy -we are in a nasty neighbourhood. And the old G3 rifle our armed forces (and cops)have been using is also to be phased out...
bird_man
#3 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 8:48:47 PM

Does Baks really care that much?I doubt!
Formally employed people often live their employers' dream & forget about their own.
slammers
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 8:53:43 AM

since this katiba stuff began Gen Kiguoya has been very different my two cents is he is asserting his might to Museveni and Al-Shabab
bkismat
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:16:05 AM

Isikuti(It is good).If you want peace be prepared for war.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt...
-Mark Twain
vin
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:22:36 AM

Shame on you
You really are not aware of the power of a G3 riffle.Of all the riffles ,i would rather go to war with it than the rest.
Advice is like snow.The softer it lands the harder is sticks.
Intelligentsia
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 11:21:14 AM

@vin - it is a good assault rifle in use by many militaries in the world, but it is also pre-1950s and many more superior & advanced designs/variants have since come up to meet the changing battlefield conditions of the 21st century infantryman. Ask any military buff and they'll tell you its due for retirement. On reflection, am amazed that we even gave our cops this battlefield assault rifle meant for the military...d'oh!

@slammers - unlikely abt M7. Baks and M7 are close and Baks has a close affinity for the land of matoke since his makerere days

@freiks - fact: of all its neighbours,kenya has the lowest number of active troops. But the move is a good deterrent measure against the rag tag al shabaab militia.
freiks
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:05:23 PM

@Intelligensia.....When i grow up i want to be as intelligent as you.
@all...I just feel more kenyan at this time more than any other time and hope this katiba will be like roots that will make kenya more stable for the better of its populace.
Life is an endless adventure
nostoppingthis
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:28:21 PM

I think show of might is good for the country! Did you guys see when china paraded theirs and CNN could not believe, some respect from the jirani countries is almost inevitable
Intelligentsia
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:45:51 PM

Bulletin

Police have warned motorists there may be a heavy traffic jam and
closure of some major roads in Nairobi tomorrow (Wednesday) morning when the
military stages a full parade at Uhuru Park for rehearsal for the promulgation of the new constitution slated for Friday.

Police say they will close part of Uhuru Highway, Haileselasie Avenue,
Kenyatta Avenue and Valley Road as the military hardware rolls into and out of the park.

The closure will take place between 3 am and 10 am. A similar closure on
Sunday caused a major traffic jam and tomorrow being a working day the
situation may be worse.

Among the equipment to be displayed include, troop carriers, armored
personnel carriers, tanks, mobile hospitals and radar communicators.

Nairobi Area traffic boss Patrick Lumumba has asked for cooperation from
motorists and those who have no use of their cars to leave them at home.
poundfoolish
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 8:42:46 PM

gentlemen and ladies..
the we must be tough in deed.. cos im told what is on show is actually old repainted hardware..
and if they parade those tippers(chineese trucks as refered to by the users themselves) that replaced the Benz lorries...then im a shade worried.

Mwafrika31
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 5:03:43 AM

I'm surprised (actually not) that you guys seemed to be impressed by the military. I was rather unimpressed... the soldiers are like in their forties, the equipment is composed of small, outdated castoffs from a wildly different array of nations, and poorly intergrated. The main battle tanks are 40 tons rather than the 70 ton ones, artillery they had can barely fire beyond 4 miles. If that was Kenya's best, then this country is a joke. What I've seen so far reaffirms that Kenya is a smalltime hopelessly third world country.. trust me al-shabbab are not moved!
bkismat
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:13:51 AM

Mwafrika31 wrote:
I'm surprised (actually not) that you guys seemed to be impressed by the military. I was rather unimpressed... the soldiers are like in their forties, the equipment is composed of small, outdated castoffs from a wildly different array of nations, and poorly intergrated. The main battle tanks are 40 tons rather than the 70 ton ones, artillery they had can barely fire beyond 4 miles. If that was Kenya's best, then this country is a joke. What I've seen so far reaffirms that Kenya is a smalltime hopelessly third world country.. trust me al-shabbab are not moved!

I'm actually not surprised that you wrote something like this.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt...
-Mark Twain
simonkabz
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:46:31 AM

Mwafrika is a vuvuzela, kelele kwa wingi. Si u tell ua brothers to come, tuonane!
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
poundfoolish
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 12:32:03 PM

mwafrika is right

Al-shabab don't fight conventional war....they employ gorilla and such like.. to make you waste money as they strategise to cause some terror in your towns and cities...
those things on display are to mesmerise and attract the crowds (as most in the forum are mesmerised)...then maybe scare TZ,of whom there is no foreseeable conflict, uganda has an experienced, disciplined force, Ethiopians are better armed but poorer.
those things are merely an attraction..Kwisha!!!!

but i do know there are better things left in the barracks
Intelligentsia
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 1:27:50 PM

I was rather unimpressed... the soldiers are like in their forties,

FACT: Our military,like any other, has a wide range of ages from 20s upwards,what you saw was only a part of them!Shame on you

the equipment is composed of small, outdated castoffs from a wildly different array of nations, and poorly intergrated.

FACT: The country has been modernising its forces and a lot has not been paraded in public for obvious reasons. You do not have to procure your equipment from just one source like we did during the Cold War but can procure each of your military supplies from the best provider of that particular equipment. Tomo. you will also get a closer glimpse of the Z-9WA advanced assault choppers procured in Jan 10 to boost our rotary wing - the 50th Air Calvary. Additional F-5s with advanced avionics have been procured. Some of the equipment will be too heavy to move to Uhuru Park.

The main battle tanks are 40 tons rather than the 70 ton ones,
FACT: It is not the weight that counts, rather the lethality & versatility of a tank's firepower. Heavier tanks like the U.S. Abrams MBT are slower, have limited movt. and are expensive to maintain as they are fuel guzzlers. They take time and lots of transport logistics to deploy,unlike smaller ones which can actually even have better armour. Besides Kenya has T-72s (will be in the parade)and Vickers MK3.

artillery they had can barely fire beyond 4 miles.

FACT: The army has advanced artillery pieces with long ranges. The PION can fire artillery shells upto 55km, i.e from Nbi past Thika. Confirm this at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2S7_Pion[/b]I there's also the NORA

the Nbi Chronicle has a better and more informed discussion on kenya's armed forces.
the katiba display has nothing to do with tz or ethiopians, if Ug to a very ltd extent, bt it can have a pyscological deterrent value against al shabaab & co.

McReggae
#17 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:27:59 PM

Thanks @intel for that clarification, mwafrika and his bros al shabaab can go to hell!!!
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
Conquestador
#18 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:59:36 PM

That response by @Intel.. to @Mwafrika is very professional.

I wish @Intel..works in our PMO - we are lacking such factual and clear 'balls' there.
4X
#19 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 3:55:01 PM

@intelligentsia,u are so informd.kwani wewe ni madoadoa?
Mwafrika31
#20 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2010 3:15:14 AM

It is said, that one who has not left home thinks his mother is the best cook. The fact that most of you seem impressed by Kenya's geriatric ragtag armed forces, is an indication of your poverty of experience.

@intelligensia
You miss the point entirely (this was expected). Armed forces are graded by several things which Kenya lacks entirely. These include but not limited to, production & procurement of weapons and ammunition and trained manpower, etc.

As you know Kenyan armed forces do not manufacture any weapons or supplies at all, they do not have an R&D budget at all. They let the British train in-country without protest. They are partly trained by the Americans who have'nt won a war since the pacific campaign. This is a fourth grade army serving in a sixth grade third world nation.