wazua Sat, May 18, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages«<234
VALUATION AND ANALYSIS OF DERIVATIVES & FIXED INCOME SECURITIES
CapitalMarketsGeek
#61 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:26:51 PM

... Job is secured as long as we make money and just to assure you the fund has never lost any dollar, never ever. Lay off is not uncommon but it is rare, pple just leave when they get better opportunities or when they can't take pressure, thats very common for analysts but uncommon for associates.
dkuyoh
#62 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 1:07:55 PM

CMG...
very entertaining I must say!
When you say that you find it funny how guys in Kenya go to school to study CFA, ypur logic may be abit flawed. as emly said the lack of market knowlede is wide in Kenya. the central bank doesnt even do spot rates!! very few embedded options and the reason for this is the lack of adequate legislation to back complex investments. If the CMA doesnt understand them they wont approve. second thing the market that can absorb these instruments is still too small. NSE still has 53 companies listed and current trends show many companies outside the NSE shying away and instead going for private equity (currently the "in" thing).
My point is this, I have done until, CFA II (studied by myself btw)and that knowledge sets me apart from many of my colleagues who pride on being 'analysts'. I am a utility to my company and I know that coz lets face it, in Kenya, having even done level 1 you join an elite club. the knowledge may not be broad but it gets you the respect that many others cant couldnt and would never dream of getting. I'M NOT Trashing your Financial Engineering or any other technical course I'm simply saying that it depends on your personal goals. if your limit is the sky and you get there well and good. if your current environment is changing then you should adapt to it
Scooby
#63 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 12:05:56 AM

Hi guys,

This conversation is turning out to be basically an argument about two things...how good or bad our education system is compared to the Western world and the relevance of studying about derivates in the Kenyan market.

As regards the education system, its all semantics. For instance, I read an article where it stated that the Chair of the Federal Reserve is sorrounded by 200 PhDs yet they are still in a quagmire right now. The big argument is whether the second phase of quantitative easing will make any difference.

On the other hand, most banks in Kenya were more profitable than most banks in Europe and the USA last year yet they were not staffed by Western educated individuals.

Now for the relevance of derivatives, how about us having conversations about certain aspects in the market place for which, if Kenya was developed as the Western world, could have been introduced by our "investment banks".

For instance, given the fact that HF had issued both a fixed and floating rate bonds, do you think that our so called investment banks could have introduced fixed for floating swaps? At least for investors who had purchased floating bonds but would like to stablise their interest earnings.
CapitalMarketsGeek
#64 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 6:29:18 PM

dkuyoh..
Going to college for CFA exams has nothing to do with Central Bank or Nairobi stock exchange or CMA. Even in western schools derivatives teaching in universities are as limited as, I guess, developing countries. Like I said before schools are not suppose or are not expected to teach you everything but are expected to give you enough material to enable you to go out there and find out for yourself. CFA exam, though you make it sound like rocket science is not that hard, just to clarify, from the day I register for CFA LEVEL 1 to the day I passed CFA LEVEL 3, added to 27 months( 2yrs and 3 months) and even to show how possible it is, when I was sitting for level one I was a fulltime undergraduate student and when I was sitting for 2 and 3 I was a fulltime worker and alot of people have done it. My point is, Kenyans are school loving people, people go to school even when it doesn't make sense, even when it doesn't add value to their knowledge. If you wanna be rich, how can you be rich when you're throwing away money for things that you can actually do it for yourself?
mnandii
#65 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 1:35:29 PM

CapitalMarketsGeek wrote:
dkuyoh..
Going to college for CFA exams has nothing to do with Central Bank or Nairobi stock exchange or CMA. Even in western schools derivatives teaching in universities are as limited as, I guess, developing countries. Like I said before schools are not suppose or are not expected to teach you everything but are expected to give you enough material to enable you to go out there and find out for yourself. CFA exam, though you make it sound like rocket science is not that hard, just to clarify, from the day I register for CFA LEVEL 1 to the day I passed CFA LEVEL 3, added to 27 months( 2yrs and 3 months) and even to show how possible it is, when I was sitting for level one I was a fulltime undergraduate student and when I was sitting for 2 and 3 I was a fulltime worker and alot of people have done it. My point is, Kenyans are school loving people, people go to school even when it doesn't make sense, even when it doesn't add value to their knowledge. If you wanna be rich, how can you be rich when you're throwing away money for things that you can actually do it for yourself?

Applause Applause Applause Applause

Cudnt agree more.
Conventional thinkers waste time building shelters when they are unnecessary and then have no shelters when they need them the most. Socionomists do the opposite.
rest.easy
#66 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 4:30:53 PM

mnandii wrote:
CapitalMarketsGeek wrote:
dkuyoh..

Applause Applause Applause Applause

Cudnt agree more.

Me too. I agree. Applause
dkuyoh
#67 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 6:10:28 AM

point taken. I guess Kenyans just love the status of being bookwormed!! and no I'm not glorifying CFA I'm simply putting light to the fact that it is held in high esteem in Kenya coz of the few people who have been able to attain it. the minute you mention you did CFA everyone looks at you with that 'you're the investment guru' type of face. you get?
And no its not rocket science, did my level 1 and 2 while working so I know its not that hard.
emlyn ngwiri
#68 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 1:45:36 PM

whether i go to school to study cfa or not really does not matter the greatest gift one can ever get is the gift of knowledge,what i do with the knowlegde is what really matters.
drake
#69 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:34:09 AM

High frequency trading...

Link
http://www.cbsnews.com/v...945451n&tag=topnews [Online Streaming]
emlyn ngwiri
#70 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 12:56:24 PM

why is it reasonable to expect that derivatives based on a commodities index constructed using a broad range of basic commodities would be more liquid at longer maturities than derivatives based on individual comodities?
The Merchant
#71 Posted : Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:07:50 PM

Hi Emlyn,
Did you finally round up a team to study for CFA exams? I hope that was you smile