wazua Mon, May 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

SACCO LOANS
amauriceus
#1 Posted : Monday, September 07, 2009 8:50:00 AM

Hi,

Does anyone know exactly how Sacco loans work? This maths seems to get more complicated than I thought.

Assuming I have purchased 100K in shares,sacco constitution says that am entitled to 300k loan.

Before taking the loan,I decided to guarantee a friend of mine in the sacco 100k so that he can take a loan.

1) Is it possible for this friend of mine to also guarantee me 100k assuming he has similar amount in sacco shares?

2)I asked my sacco the maximum I can get in loans and they tell me 0(Because I have guaranteed someone else all my shares!). And that although I am entitled to 300k loan,I need to find other members to guarantee me the full 300k before I can get this loan.

This to me means that for every shilling that the sacco lends,it must be backed up by other members idle shares against which there are no outstanding loans,and the same have not been used to guarantee other members loans.

If this is how sacco's work,does it make any sense to continue being a member?
amauriceus attached the following image(s):
saccoimages.jpg (2kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
mtaalam
#2 Posted : Monday, September 07, 2009 9:25:00 AM

Why not ask your sacco officials?

Bright and interesting people talk about ideas.
Those of average intelligence talk about things.
Stupid people talk about other people.
jerry
#3 Posted : Monday, September 07, 2009 9:36:00 AM

Most likely ur sacco is not employee based hence check-off is probably not possible. I belong to such a sacco that operates exactly the way u've explained. The only slight difference is that u can secure ur loan thro logbook or title-deed. In employment based saccos or others where checkoff is possible a shilling can guarantee 2 or 3 depending on risk assessment and historical default rate or scientific research.

Crocodile tears: If you can't assist me when I'm alive en you attend my funeral.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
amauriceus
#4 Posted : Monday, September 07, 2009 9:50:00 AM

@Mtaalam,I a already asked my sacco officials....its their explanation that baffled me. Its not what I expected.
MADE
#5 Posted : Monday, September 07, 2009 10:12:00 AM

@jerry- yu said it.
In these times of high defaults,Security of the loan is foremost b4 its disbursement. However Saccos which still apply rules rigidly have no future growth

I was born intelligent,education ruined me.
Age is transforming me into an Elder;becoz Admin hasn't made me one.
jerry
#6 Posted : Monday, September 07, 2009 10:29:00 AM

Thanx. I agree with u that some degree of 'bad loans' (or rather risk) could b necessary for growth of not just saccos but even the members.

Crocodile tears: If you can't assist me when I'm alive en you attend my funeral.
Poggie
#7 Posted : Monday, September 07, 2009 11:04:00 AM

@sk admin ... some time back a member had posted a detailed comparative analysis on the pros & cons of bank loans alongside sacco loans. How can I revisit the same. Please assist. Thanks.

As a man thinketh so is he
As A Man Thinketh So is He
Correct
#8 Posted : Monday, September 07, 2009 11:07:00 AM

Thats one of the controls to ensure they dont sink unexpectedly as a result of non-guaranteed loans by members. If for example your friend has a loan of 300K guaranteed by 1-His contribution 100K,2-Your guarantee (your shares) 100K and another guarantee by a friend of 100K decides to default then:

1> He / she forfeits his 100K shares contribution.

2> You lose your share contribution worth 100K & thus must chase up your buddy to pay up.

3>Third friend forfeits item deposited as guarantee for 100K. The overall effect is that the Sacco will not have any bad debts in its books and thus ensures continuity for the sacco.

In short; if you use your shares to guarantee another members loan you cannot use the same to guarantee another loan(including your loan),You must find other guarantees / collateral to support the amount you borroe.

Happy investing
mtaalam
#9 Posted : Monday, September 07, 2009 11:55:00 AM

@ amauriceus

You should get your officials to explain it to you 100 times if necessary until you understand it. We might tell you so many things and our understandings and believes but eventually whatever you sign will be between yourself and your sacco. Be wise and know what you're getting into 1st hand.

Bright and interesting people talk about ideas.
Those of average intelligence talk about things.
Stupid people talk about other people.
jerry
#10 Posted : Monday, September 07, 2009 12:07:00 PM

What u say is correct! but if u make a sacco loan as difficult to get as a bank loan then we rather have banks only and no saccos. Remember that saccos led members their own cash! in most cases.

jerry
#11 Posted : Monday, September 07, 2009 12:14:00 PM

We also need to know what happens in other saccos. You don't belong to one,do u? Are you aware that saccos are charging loan appraisal fees. Mine charges 1% which I don't think is fair.

Mkimwa
#12 Posted : Monday, September 07, 2009 1:22:00 PM

@Poggy..

Here is the Sacco Vs Bank Loan thread.

http://www.stockskenya.c...x?stk=1005&top=16091
Layman
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2009 7:58:00 AM

Simple,since you have used kshs 100,000/= as security for the loan of that other members,you will need your loan of 300k to be fully guaranteed by other members of the sacco only that the person whose loan you had guaranteed cannot guarantee your loan.
The future is already here!
AlphDoti
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2009 12:30:00 PM

My SACCO does not work like that.
I can quarantee other members and still take a loan 3 times my share value.

AKS
Poggie
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2009 12:36:00 PM

@Mkimwa .. Thanks alot buddy. Regards.

As a man thinketh so is he
As A Man Thinketh So is He
ji
#16 Posted : Wednesday, September 09, 2009 10:42:00 AM

@Correct,You rendered a splendid discussion on this. the key-points are Saccos apply the guarantor rule to: 1> Secure the financial future of the institution,2> Limit the number of loan applications hence run on a healthy cash-flow,3> Build trust among members by instilling 'the good debtor' moral.

'I never see what has been done; I only see what remains to be done.'

kingz
#17 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:24:00 AM

many saccos will charge a 12% interest rate p.a.

this is very attractive till you discover that around 33% of the monies is actually your savings.

my option-quit the sacco,get a third of the money you needed and source the 2/3 from da bnks.

my last beef with my sacco is the long notice period the need before they can release your cash if you applied to quit;i mean 4 months notice is too long.

pata potea
mozenrat
#18 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:49:00 AM

@Kingz....

This discussion has been had...

As you factor in the 33% they are holding (which means that they are actually charging 18-19% just like the bank) please factor in the fact they PAY YOU back about 8% on the amount you've contributed which the Banks don't...
McReggae
#19 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:49:00 AM

Saccos have really been exposed here at SK.........the only time when they are preferred I think is in case of emergency!!!!

The chief value of money lies in the fact that one lives in a world in which it is overestimated.
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
Layman
#20 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:20:00 AM

joining saccos is optional,Belonging to a sacco is optional. Taking a sacco loan is optional. Withdrawing from the sacco is your right. Notice periods are clearly indicated in their By-Laws,each sacco has its notice period,like in my sacco the notice period is 30 days. Did you bother to read the bylaws before you joined? Stop complaining and make your decision. Are you categozied as a minor in the republic of kenya????? then we could understand!

The future is already here!