wazua Wed, Jun 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Quite disturbing.
reox
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2010 4:09:20 PM

I got this forward from a friend and thought i could share with you.

Two and a half weeks ago (1/7/10) my six month old son had a fever and I took him to Getrudes hospital. The Doctor that saw him told me he had a mild throat infection so he prescribed Amoxyl and Cetamol syrup. We got the drugs and left fo Home and began administering the drugs as told.

The next day the fever was on and off and on Saturday (03/07/10) morning we decided to take him for review as the fever was kept on coming and his soft spot was swollen, we took him to mater and carried along the drugs we had been giving him (Amoxil + cetamol). The doctor at Mater examined him and sent us to lab for some tests and also administered some drug for the fever. The test as we were told was to rule out malaria and yes he did not have malaria. We were again told that it’s the throat that is Inflamed. We were given Bustan, Rinnat and Piriton and told to discontinue the drugs we had been given at Getrudes. We went back home and administered the drugs as advised this was around 9.00am. All this time my son was looking just fine on the face.

My son fell asleep shortly after and we left him with the hsehelp to go to the shop. We were gone for less than 30 minutes. When we came back we found our Son dead. She told us that my son just gasped for like 3 times after he had woken up and passed out just like that. He was still warm and looked n like he was asleep when we arrived.

Heartbroken we took the body to Chiromo and a friend advised that we do an Autopsy to know exactly what might have killed him. We did this the next day (Sunday 04/07/10) and what the pathologist told us was shocking. That our son had Pneumonia and Meningitis and that is what killed him (the two as we were made to understand is caused by a bacterial strain that if it affects the lower respiratory organs it caused pneumonia but if not treated and gets to the brain at causes Meningitis). He said that his lungs were hard (instead of being soft and spongy) which he said was a sign of pneumonia and that there was pus in his brain – sign of meningitis.

We were even told that Amoxyl is no longer used to treat infants (not sure whether this is true or not – u see u get to be told so many things but this one came from a doctor friend), makes me wonder why it was administered at Getrudes.

We still wonder how the two medics in the two leading hospitals (one being the only Pediatric hospital in this country) failed to diagnose any of the two ailments. Anyway to you mothers and fathers reading this email just note
Don't let urgent deflect you from the important

PONDI
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2010 4:14:26 PM

damn... shocking stuff. someone should be sued
Kusadikika
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2010 4:55:53 PM

My deepest condolence to the parents who had to suffer this. Having said that this information is totally useless in as far as helping someone else make a better decision. There is nothing the parents could have done different. From the information presented it appears the standard of care was followed. Doctors use whatever presentations the patient has and sift through a tonne of possibilities to arrive at a diagnosis. There are times that the right diagnosis eludes them and this appears to be the case here. It could have happened anywhere in the world even in the most advanced countries. God gives life and God takes it away. May his soul rest in peace. It is easier when people stop wearing their spirituality on the sleeves and let it sink down to the core where in matters of life and death they know that that is Gods territory.
story teller
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:09:04 PM

@reox,i wish to offer my deepest condolences to you and your family. Pole sana jamani. This is very sad..i cannot not even imagine what you are going through at this time. May the Lord keep you strong.

Like the previous poster said, someone (in this case these two doctors) should definitely be sued. How can two supposedly competent doctors fail to dignose the problem ? One,probably,two wrong diagnosis, definitely no

I think a lot of doctors treat "life" very casually!
It's not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.
nanfor1
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:12:35 PM

pole sana @reox
Hata wakizima taa
theman192000
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:16:02 PM

@story and nanfor, while I condole with the family of the bereaved, reox clearly said in his post that this was a forward and did not happen to his child.
leona
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:54:31 PM

My condolences to the bereaved family... There's nothing in this World as devastating as losing a child.

That said, @Kusadikika..
I beg to differ with your sentiments,and am very surprised by how you've expressed yourslef. This people lost a child...it's not their pet that got hit by a hit-and-run car.. It's clear you dont have kids. God gives and takes lifes,but he also gives us wisdom and will to take care of that same life. It's very disturbing to lose someone and have this nagging feeling that maybe there's something that you'd have done differently that might have saved the situation. There are lots of sick people who die out of neglect,delayed medical attention/response..etc. Why do you think we have ambulances and emergency services? God gave us life and the wisdom and resources to preciously guard that same life.

The kind of situation described by @reox,happens to many kids and if i believe some lives would be saved if more care was to be taken. Our doctors are very fond of prescribing wrong medication and not being totally keen in their diagnosis coz they know we're ignorant,and they're lazy. I once dated a pharmacist and everytime I or my then young nephews was prescribed any medication,we'd research on it and confirm the side effects first. I remember my 6month old nephew was prescribed for 'Nise' just for a mild fever,yet the drug has some serious side effects even in adults! This was done in a very reputable children's hospital here in Nairobi. Doctors can mess you up big time.

Again,my condolences to the bereaved family:(
Nevermind what haters say, ignore them til they fade away - Just live your life
Magigi
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:04:04 PM

... quite disturbing indeed...!!!
Ms Mkenya
#9 Posted : Friday, July 30, 2010 10:32:24 PM

My condolencies to the family of this child.
i'd however like to correct some things i feel are not true. Amoxil is still a drug of choice for respiratory tract infections in children.
Secondly, the autopsy report indicates advanced infection of both the lungs and the brain.
So before we pass judgement on the doctors, it'd be helpful to know what exactly happened and see the case in context. All in all, it is sad a child died. Praying that God gives the family peace.
....above all, to stand.
KenyanLyrics
#10 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2010 2:48:00 AM

The only way to avoid such is to sue the doctors and take them through a media storm mpaka wafunzwe adabu. The only problem is that they will hike salaries to cover for such occurences like they do in US.
m water
#11 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2010 1:02:27 PM

and ofcourse these are the same doctors who will be expected to give an "opinion" in "emergency" cases where " the life of the mother is in danger "
cnn
#12 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2010 2:20:06 PM

That is a sad case.That said some of the antibiotics i see being prescribed are no longer effective,i always make a point of calling the doctor whenever a prescription with them gets to me.The effetive way would to carry out a culture and sensitivity test on the organism causing the infection so as to get the right treatment but it does not happen here.
real cindano
#13 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2010 6:13:25 PM

To the family of the child .....
Pole sana.....

KenyanLyrics wrote:
The only way to avoid such is to sue the doctors and take them through a media storm mpaka wafunzwe adabu. The only problem is that they will hike salaries to cover for such occurrences like they do in US.

storyteller wrote:
Like the previous poster said, someone (in this case these two doctors) should definitely be sued. How can two supposedly competent doctors fail to dignose the problem ? One,probably,two wrong diagnosis, definitely no

Being a "learned" type ....
Free word of advice .........
Suing would be hard .......
Doctor follow a protocols .....
They are not nearly as perfect as lawyers ......
so mistakes happen .....
But if mistake is in protocol and not negligence .......
Suing is not an option ......
there is no apparent or clear case of negligence ...
These 2 busy bodies above have no idea ......
what suing entails ..............
Be serious ..........
Free advice ........
If negligence is suspected report .....
to the medical board ...........
Cheaper and you will then know ..........
If you have a case to pursue in court ........

Leona wrote:
I once dated a pharmacist and everytime I or my then young nephews was prescribed any medication,we'd research on it and confirm the side effects first. I remember my 6month old nephew was prescribed for 'Nise' just for a mild fever,yet the drug has some serious side effects even in adults! This was done in a very reputable children's hospital here in Nairobi. Doctors can mess you up big time.

You should now date a lawyer like me ......
And you will then know all the laws in the land ....
Then date an engineer ..........
then you will know how to construct buildings and roads ..........
For your information ...........
All drugs have side effects .....
They are all poisons .......
Balancing side effects and desired effects......
thuks
#14 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2010 10:52:30 PM

my condolences to the family.
Diseases present similar symptoms and signs all the time. The fact that the docotrs went for relatively 'broad spectrum' antibiotics shows they could not pinpoint the exact causitive agent. Doing a culture and sensitivity test also requires time ( you have to wait for days) and something had to be done.
Suing will not do simply because the doctors followed standard treatment guidelines.
I could not help but notice someone sneeking in a snide remark concerning the opinion expected from the same doctors on the ranging abortion debate
I care!
Sheila
#15 Posted : Monday, August 02, 2010 11:59:57 AM

@ Reox,

Oh my God, I have a young son and I cant imagine what the family of the young child are going through. But I pray and I know that God will see them through this difficult time.
Djinn
#16 Posted : Friday, August 06, 2010 10:30:08 AM

@reox, my most profound sympathies...have courage...
JWK
#17 Posted : Friday, August 06, 2010 2:05:20 PM

What a sad story?

The thing is, diagnosing menengitis is tricky for many doctors (even in very good hospitals in the developed world). There are two types; bacterial and viral.
The good news is, there is a vacinnation against the bacterial one that will offer at least 85% protection. I would reccomend parents to get this one for their children especially if they are below 12yrs. I am not in Kenya at the moment but I would assume its available there too.

Cheers!
gadj
#18 Posted : Friday, August 06, 2010 2:12:21 PM

So where do we take our kids for treatment?
msotoville
#19 Posted : Friday, August 06, 2010 6:12:39 PM

Pole sana for your buddy's loss @Reox.

I find that really disturbing considering we have a bun in the oven (first trimester) and we were considering Gertrude's as the clinic of choice.

EEEK!
So nice that its nasty, so bangin' its busting,
So slick that its sick, so dope its disgusting!
jguru
#20 Posted : Saturday, August 07, 2010 1:01:06 AM

I cannot even start to imagine how those parents are feeling. Losing a child is a tragedy.

To all parent with young children, get a dedicated paediatrician. Have his/her number on speed dial. A doctor whom you can call 2am and he will wake up and see the young one.

This thing of having doctors studying through parallel in UNI, italeta shida. So many half-baked doctors around... Sad
Set out to correct the world's wrongs and you will most certainly wind up adding to them.