wazua Fri, May 17, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Is M-Kesho the camel lurking in the tent of retail banking?
Pastor M
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2010 1:36:33 PM

http://www.standardmedia...0of%20retail%20banking?

I m wondering what is the difference between

Equity Bank M-Kesho,
Family Bank PesaPap,
KCB connect.

Which one is more Convenient?
Pastor M attached the following image(s):
cameltent.jpg (8kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
ishare
#2 Posted : Monday, August 02, 2010 4:10:08 AM

Pastor M wrote:
http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/business/InsidePage.php?id=2000014841&cid=14&story=Is%20M-Kesho%20the%20camel%20lurking%20in%20the%20tent%20of%20retail%20banking?

I m wondering what is the difference between

Equity Bank M-Kesho,
Family Bank PesaPap,
KCB connect.

Which one is more Convenient?

There is not much difference between Mkesho and a normal equity bank account.....only that you will have the account on your phone not in the bank
The only advantage is that you can ask a loan using Mkesho
But honestly according to me this was an unnecessary duplication of the same service which is M-pesa
Though overtime i have learnt never to under estimate moves pulled by safaricom so am sure their is a long term goal somewhere that we dont see yet
Pastor M
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 07, 2010 4:14:52 PM

http://www.nation.co.ke/...-/12a755jz/-/index.html

Equity Bank's M-Kesho mobile banking service has so far attracted 6,000 customers with deposits worth Sh900m.
The unique service which was launched in May in partnership with Safaricom enables individuals to withdraw money from their bank accounts via their mobile phone handsets.
The service also allows Equity customers to deposit money into their accounts through Safaricom’s M-Pesa agents.
With a deposit of as little as Sh100, individuals are able to credit and withdraw money from the account using the M-Pesa money transfer service.
Olu
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 07, 2010 4:44:11 PM

Pastor, i thought Mobile banking from Co-op, Pesa Pap from Family Bank and KCB connect could also do this? Apart from the loan facilities, what other difference is there?
Mpenzi
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 07, 2010 4:49:24 PM

@Pastor M

That report in the Nation about 6,000 customers is obviously wrong. In the initial days Mkesho was registering 20,000 customers PER DAY!
Gordon Gekko
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 07, 2010 5:58:05 PM

Last I heard MKesho had signed 400,000, but only 170,000 were active. BTW, I'm one of the inactive ones, having registered at the Kawangware branch on 12th July, being issued with an account number and never had my phone activated, despite three visits and a similar number of assurances that the matter 'will be sorted out in 48 hrs.'
bird_man
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 07, 2010 7:15:55 PM

Mkesho has no bank account,rather the account is in your phone thus you must transact in your phone. I think its meant for the totally "unbanked" Kenyans.Funny thing though,withdrawals I think cost around 55sh!
Coop M-banking *667#,Pesa Pap & KCB Connect I think are the same thing......an alternative service channel to your account.
Formally employed people often live their employers' dream & forget about their own.
qadaffi
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 08, 2010 11:14:43 AM

bird_man wrote:
Mkesho has no bank account,rather the account is in your phone thus you must transact in your phone. I think its meant for the totally "unbanked" Kenyans.Funny thing though,withdrawals I think cost around 55sh!

Actually, MKesho has a bank account held by Equity and mapped to M-Pesa to enable transferring funds between Equity and M-Pesa. At first glance, it appears to be an unnecessary duplication but think of what it means for Safaricom and Equity who are both known to go for the mass market. Wider reach for both, stickability of services and with even other options like micro-credit and insurance, this might become a big thing for Safaricom and Equity (subject to CBK banking regulations). Right now, I dont have to queue at Equity to top up the bank account - I can go to an M-Pesa agent, buy float and push it to the M-Kesho account.

For now, I don't think the two companies are making big money from it but it provides a platform that can be unleashed to grow Equity banking services and M-Pesa to a very big deal. There is unexploited symbiosis.
Gordon Gekko
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 08, 2010 11:29:22 AM

bird_man wrote:
Mkesho has no bank account,rather the account is in your phone thus you must transact in your phone.

There is a bank account no, I have my number. And they have told me I can transact on it as a normal account. What I don't have is the MKesho connection on my phone.
Elder
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 08, 2010 2:13:38 PM

M-Kesho is all about Safaricom being an agent of Equity Bank. I c too much heat bila fire.
He who can express in words the ardour of his love, has but little love to express. - Petrach, Son. (That men by various ways arrive at the same end. - Montaigne, The Essays of.)
Djinn
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 08, 2010 3:36:47 PM

@Pastor M - good point. In fact this should be among the topics under "Thinkers' Section"

http://www.wazua.co.ke/f...aspx?g=posts&t=8579

Let me however share my two pesetas...

1 - According to a recent survey (I can google and find the source if needed), M-Pesa agencies only become SUSTAINABLE in certain conditions (e.g. few other outlets nearby, income of population in the locality, economic activities, etc etc). Thus this study outlined certain prerequisites for a sustainable M-Pesa operation. Old school SK/Wazua members will recall there were frequent posts and enquiries on how to become an M-Pesa agent - there was a lot of clamour and indeed it was profitable to operate an agency .....until they became so pervasive. I'm sure many of us have gone to an agent and found issues to do with floats (red flag!!!!). Anyway, just like Simu ya Jamii operators, I think its time to evolve M-Pesa agents in order to retain them. Which will lead me to my next point.

So in summary, Not all M-Pesa agents break even these days, they do not get enough transactions. e.g. In 2007 if you were competing with x agents in a 1km square area, you could make a profit...in 2010 if you compete with 3x agents, then the math is different. Let me remind all abt the Simu ya Jamii thing - when SCOM introduced 20 and 10 scratch cards...the death knell was sounded for Simu ya Jamii operators...If I wanted to make a 1 minute call but only had 10 bob so could not top up with 50 , I'd go to a Simu ya Jamii outlet....but after the 20 and 10 cards, I as a subscriber, would find it more convenient to buy a 10/230 bob card....exit Simu ya Jamii (some operators still have not re-couped money spent on the device and we no longer hear of Adtel)

So, SOME (or many) M-Pesa agents are becoming rather redundant. Especially those with low cash flow. The big players like Uchumi, Pharmacies, etc may remain relevant. So, what to do?

2 - Still holding in mind that some (or many) M-Pesa agents are going the way of the dinosaurs - and may opt to defect to Zap since its not highly penetrated yet, SCOM needed to do something. So lets hold that thought....

3 - Think of your typical non-personal M-Pesa transactions - paying for an airline ticket, paying a power bill, paying for a lorry of potatoes etc....now think of the Equity branch network which is already so pervasive.

PRIOR to M-Kesho, as a bar owner, potato broker, airline, power company, one would have to A) DRAW cash from an M-Pesa dealer B) Deposit the money or pay a supplier....CASH needed.

AFTER M-Kesho - people cited above just FORWARD the credit to a bank account. In essence all businesses, from KQ, KPLC to the SMEs to the SMMEs will find it beneficial to forward payments made through M-Pesa to their banks DIRECT. No cash needed. Thus win for Equity - corporate accounts. Win for SCOM - transaction costs.

For the mwananchi who has an M-Kesho account for every day stuff (fees, help out a friend, send to relatives) it also makes sense to have such an account...DIRECTLY link your Equity account and your ability to make transactions. No need to be told "hakuna float" - you are YOUR OWN FLOAT. Do what you will! Not just airtime top up and mobile balance inquiry...pay fees, bail out Jack, pay your tab at Njuguna's etc.

In the near term it may stimulate SOME business for M-Pesa agents, but there will be a shakedown and some will be killed and others enhanced as Equity FOSAs.

My two pesetas...I think the trees have not been seen for the forest yet.

Djinn
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 08, 2010 3:57:28 PM

the survey I allude to above

http://technology.cgap.o...fits-for-agents-m-pesa/

reading it again...now it all clicks into place...some M-Pesa agents may go the way of the dinosaurs...there will have to be some rationalisation despite the same agents becoming part of a virtual Equity/Family Bank network....
tony stark
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 08, 2010 4:36:19 PM

Djinn wrote:
@Pastor M - good point. In fact this should be among the topics under "Thinkers' Section"

http://www.wazua.co.ke/f...aspx?g=posts&t=8579

Let me however share my two pesetas...

1 - According to a recent survey (I can google and find the source if needed), M-Pesa agencies only become SUSTAINABLE in certain conditions (e.g. few other outlets nearby, income of population in the locality, economic activities, etc etc). Thus this study outlined certain prerequisites for a sustainable M-Pesa operation. Old school SK/Wazua members will recall there were frequent posts and enquiries on how to become an M-Pesa agent - there was a lot of clamour and indeed it was profitable to operate an agency .....until they became so pervasive. I'm sure many of us have gone to an agent and found issues to do with floats (red flag!!!!). Anyway, just like Simu ya Jamii operators, I think its time to evolve M-Pesa agents in order to retain them. Which will lead me to my next point.

So in summary, Not all M-Pesa agents break even these days, they do not get enough transactions. e.g. In 2007 if you were competing with x agents in a 1km square area, you could make a profit...in 2010 if you compete with 3x agents, then the math is different. Let me remind all abt the Simu ya Jamii thing - when SCOM introduced 20 and 10 scratch cards...the death knell was sounded for Simu ya Jamii operators...If I wanted to make a 1 minute call but only had 10 bob so could not top up with 50 , I'd go to a Simu ya Jamii outlet....but after the 20 and 10 cards, I as a subscriber, would find it more convenient to buy a 10/230 bob card....exit Simu ya Jamii (some operators still have not re-couped money spent on the device and we no longer hear of Adtel)

So, SOME (or many) M-Pesa agents are becoming rather redundant. Especially those with low cash flow. The big players like Uchumi, Pharmacies, etc may remain relevant. So, what to do?

2 - Still holding in mind that some (or many) M-Pesa agents are going the way of the dinosaurs - and may opt to defect to Zap since its not highly penetrated yet, SCOM needed to do something. So lets hold that thought....

3 - Think of your typical non-personal M-Pesa transactions - paying for an airline ticket, paying a power bill, paying for a lorry of potatoes etc....now think of the Equity branch network which is already so pervasive.

PRIOR to M-Kesho, as a bar owner, potato broker, airline, power company, one would have to A) DRAW cash from an M-Pesa dealer B) Deposit the money or pay a supplier....CASH needed.

AFTER M-Kesho - people cited above just FORWARD the credit to a bank account. In essence all businesses, from KQ, KPLC to the SMEs to the SMMEs will find it beneficial to forward payments made through M-Pesa to their banks DIRECT. No cash needed. Thus win for Equity - corporate accounts. Win for SCOM - transaction costs.

For the mwananchi who has an M-Kesho account for every day stuff (fees, help out a friend, send to relatives) it also makes sense to have such an account...DIRECTLY link your Equity account and your ability to make transactions. No need to be told "hakuna float" - you are YOUR OWN FLOAT. Do what you will! Not just airtime top up and mobile balance inquiry...pay fees, bail out Jack, pay your tab at Njuguna's etc.

In the near term it may stimulate SOME business for M-Pesa agents, but there will be a shakedown and some will be killed and others enhanced as Equity FOSAs.

My two pesetas...I think the trees have not been seen for the forest yet.

That is a lot of food for thought. I think this argument has always been said on wazua but has never been articulated as you have.
The limit to MPESA going the commerce as you alluded and the e-commerce that you also alluded is the myopia, or fear, or whatever is holding safaricom back from opening up the platform to other players.
Mpesa has huge potential from what is already it can and should be the our way of pre-paid debit card. and with banks now entering the foray it can also be a postpaid platform from which to pay bills.
Dealing with cash has a high cost for alot of businesses and with the high mpesa penetration comapared to credit or debit cards this is the ideal form of moving the economy from a cash base to a credit based.
Intelligentsia
#14 Posted : Thursday, September 09, 2010 6:34:48 PM

@Djinn, well put.
But this article was penned a year ago before the concept of agent banking came into the picture, and a follow-up survey would be useful to assess how the landscape for mobile banking has since changed.In my opinion agent banking will radically alter the payment solutions scene irreversibly.
Under agent banking a bank will choose an agent with extensive network (say post offices, pharmacies,etc)who will offer certain banking services on behalf of the bank for a fee/commission.
The greater penetration this agent has nationwide the greater their appeal will be to banks.
So you are a flower farm manager in say a Juja flower farm who employs 500 casuals on your maize farm in Uasin Gishu. You have to pay these guys say every 2 weeks. Before you worried abt CIT (cash in transit) costs, your won security, the sheer administrative time your accountant and his staff spent in physically counting and dividing the cash into the right denominations/ amts.
But now no problem, there are already solutions in the market where by click of a button you transfer the entire wage bill of all these staff into their individual virtual wallets - they don't have to have bank accounts but can have if they so seek!
No physical movt of cash, track record exists for these staffs' future loan requests, low txn cost are the obvious advantages.
So MKESHO, like all new trends better enjoy its days as its novelty will wear off in time to come.
How I love competition!
my 2 cents.