wazua Sat, Apr 27, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages123>»
Tired of Kenya Power and Nairobi Water & Sewerage
Kaigangio
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 08, 2009 3:36:00 PM

TIRED OF KENYA POWER & LIGHTING CO. LTD AND NAIROBI WATER & SEWERAGE COMPANY LTD

Hi all,

I have been following up on the latest happenings and services deliveries from our utility companies namely Kengen,Kenya Power and Lighting Company Limited and Nairobi Water Company Limited. I must say that the emerging painted picture of the things to come from them is bleak...very bleak indeed. I see a situation where we will be paying expensively or dearly to be and remain in the dark and for being thirsty...sample this:

Kengen tells us that they have closed the Masinga dam followed by Kaburu because the remaining amount of water cannot sustain a continuous generation of electricity for more than three months. The reason for the low water levels is the drought,with the rains being so erratic and unreliable for a dependable and continuous HEP generation,and no effort has been made in the recent past to come up with other alternative energy sources,or attempts to expand the generation capacity of existing ones where possible.
The worrying thing that they have not told us yet is that Kiambere dam is fed by the same river that feeds Kaburu and it is just a matter of time before Kiambere is closed if the water catchment do not get any rains in the near future.
The story won’t end there because after telling us the sad news,they will start looking for independent power/electricity producers at least to offset the shortfall albeit by a small margin. Once this is in place,we will be told that the unit rate of production by these independent producers (who in effect will be using fossil fuel power generation) is high due to the rising cost of fuel in the international market and as such they will therefore be paying more to these electricity producers. We will also expect that Kengen,apart from maintaining an 'idle' personnel in the payroll in the closed dams,will be incurring exorbitant extra expenditure in maintaining these 'unproductive idle dams' and everything that goes with them.
Eventually the inevitable will happen...Kengen will tell us that the current unit rate sales are impractical and unsustainable and will no longer apply. The unit rates shall require to be adjusted upwards by at least 40% to reflect the added cost of power generation.

Kenya Power and Lighting Company most likely is now preparing to hit us with the normal bucketful of s*** about an impending official power rationing. They will give the same reasons as given by Kengen for the rationing,but the story will not end there. They will tell us that the cost of doing business with Kengen has risen tremendously due to added cost of power generation and that they have renegotiated the purchase price of 1 unit of electricity.
We therefore should brace ourselves for tariff hikes of the order of 60%,but since the electricity shortfall will only have been marginally offset,the blackouts will be extended from a few hours to more hours per day.

Nairobi Water Company & Sewerage Limited the other day told us that Ndaka-Ini dam,the main water source for Nairobi residents,is getting depleted very fast and that the amount of water remaining now cannot sustain a continuous supply for more than six months. The story did not end there coz we already know that the supplementary supply from Susumua dam which is under rehabilitation will become operational sometime in October (if I remember correctly). We are already in the midst of the drought monster and no rain is expected soon.
The NWCL has already started an annoying water rationing programme with residential estates are receiving water for only a day per week or so. If i read correctly it might get worse as the drought continues to bite for the next couple of months and any additional amounts from the rehabilitated dam might not have any significant input into the distribution network. They will probably start telling us that the unit cost of water will have to be adjusted upward to reflect the added cost of power consumption at the pumping stations and treatment works,reduced revenues due to low volumes of water consumed while still maintaining the same size of payroll and the office overheads etc. Eventually they will call a press conference to announce that the unit cost of water has been increased by 40% and that they will extend the water availability frequency period from one day per week to one day per fortnight (two weeks).

The bigger picture...I have tried to understand our peculiar behaviour of not paying attention to simple problems requiring simple solutions and letting them degenerate into monstrous problems requiring expensive solutions...and the best we do is to point fingers at non existent entities.
All along since i was a young boy,the Greenbelt Movement has always told people not to deforest but rather reforest...at one point it became a song that 'if you cut down one tree you plant not less than two'. We used to sing it literally,virtually everywhere,but somehow the song was 'murdered' buried and forgotten as people threw out the caution through the window.
Now less than 20 years down the line,we are experiencing what we were being warned about. I don’t see the situation changing as politics has made everything impossible and complicated starting from settling in the forest land to commercial tree felling in the forests,from where the agents of electricity and portable pure drinking water are derived from. It might take another 40 to 50 years to fix things up and bringing them to the level they were just about 20 years ago in terms of services provision i.e water and electricity. This will only happen if and only if there is a strong political will (which is always lacking) and collective individual responsibilities.

In summary we have already come face to face with perennial energy crunch and pure safe drinking water crisis.

Solution...I am a very angry and bitter man and I will not wait for 40 years for these utility companies to live up to their responsibilities of providing me with reliable electricity and reliable,safe and pure drinking water! Without these I am just as good as dead!!! In fact I will reduce my interaction with KPLC and NWCL more than 95% or better still do without them because their very existence is turning out to be the source of my misery and nightmare. It has to be brought to an end!!!

The plan...Firstly,I will start off by cutting off the services from NWCL by 90%. How? I will put up an underground tank with a enough capacity and I will start a serious rain water harvesting. To each of the five lives in my household I will allow 100 litres per day giving 500 litres for each day. For the kitchen,toilet and laundry I will allow an average of 150 litres making a total of 650 litres per day. Next,this daily volume shall be available continuously for a period of six months making a total of 117,000litres or 117m3. The underground tank will have a capacity of 120 m3. I will not expect this volume to be fully exhausted because the 5% service from NWCL will fill the gap in case of prolonged drought lasting more than an year and a half with no rain. If the initial observations show that the contents of the tank could last at least nine months continuous extraction without any replenishment,then I will advise the NWCL to remove their water meter and take it away!

Secondly...KPLC allows about 4KVA worth of diversified load for a residential household,which works out to 3.2kW. I will then go ahead and procure and install photovoltaic solar panels in two phases enough to provide my household with 3.2kW available power. The first phase will involve the procurement of 1.6kW panels and 3.2kW load delivery capability batteries,charge controllers,and all the wiring. Phase two will involve just the procurement of the other 1.6kW set of panels. This will be enough to do all the domestic activities that require electricity,e.g ironing,lighting,microwave,water heating,electric kettle,etc. I am very sure that the installed capacity will be large and most of the day a small fraction of it will be used while in the evenings (early evening) a large fraction of it will be in use. I would consider selling to KPLC during the 'off peak' (about 10 hours) period but the monthly income from it would not be worth it. So,I would opt to sell to the neighbours whom I am sure would be ready to pay well. I will have gained independence from the unreliable power supply from the KPLC!

I believe this will be one long painful journey considering the financial implications and my own personal commitment but the long term benefits will be enormous.

NEVER TALK OF A RHINO IF THERE IS NO TREE NEAREBY - ZULU PROVERB
...besides, the presence of a safe alone does not signify that there is money inside...
Mainat
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 08, 2009 7:38:00 PM

awesome post Kaiga.

The future is the present. Wangari Maathai was another Mugo-like prophetess that Kenyans ignored. Come October,unless Mungu intervenes,we shall see...

www.mjengakenya.blogspot.com
Sehemu ndio nyumba
the sage
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2009 6:08:00 AM

Please explain what diversified load means and the calculations in simple terms,very simple terms. Thank you.
segemia
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2009 6:10:00 AM

@ kaiganjo,

Your observations and forecasts leaves no doubt that what is happening now is a pointer of bad things to come. The services provision by these utility companies are fast crambling and the future really looks dim.

I also remember mrs Mathai coming to Eldoret a long time ago where she lectured the residents on the importance of preserving the vegetation (trees) and nobody took her seriously.

All said we will be without reliable water supply and electricity for a long time and we blame lack of these on poverty.

There are two types of people in the world...those who run the risks and those who always have the rope round their necks...
Fundaah
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2009 6:16:00 AM

good post...abeilt long....will read it latter as you set out the problems and give solutions....Sk is growing to maturity....

Rules of the game here:

Before you post anything think.give facts only..It's a serious blog for serious people....Do not insult your brother....respect one another...Just be good

Isaiah 65:17-Look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth, and no one will even think about the old ones anymore
PONDI
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2009 6:20:00 AM

ndakaini will run out of water in 2 months... not 6... what are the licensing requirements for sinking a borehole in nairobi ... or do i go get one of those shags toilet diggers aanze kuchimba shimo nyuma ya nyumba...by Oct... neighbours will be queing to hand me their hard earned money

He who laughs last thinks slowest..
anasazi
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2009 6:25:00 AM

Dont know what more to say. We have some blind bats leading this country. Clueless people.
Form is temporary, class is permanent
Kaigangio
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2009 6:58:00 AM

Hi all,

have a look at this picture:

City residents queue to fill their jerricans with water. There has been an acute water shortage following rationing plans by the Nairobi water board. Photo/CHRIS OJOW

at first sight,one would think that it is an estate somewhere in a city of a collapsed economy.....Harare,Zimbabwe....but no,it is not Harare in Zimbabwe. This is in Nairobi!!!!.

are we supposed to spend our entire day searching for water instead of working to improve our lives and the economy in general? It was not like this at independence from the stories i hear from my grandpas and grandmas!!!!

...besides, the presence of a safe alone does not signify that there is money inside...
Chaka
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2009 7:47:00 AM

@Kaigangio,

Looks realizable!Have you discussed your plan with madam?

Do me a favour,as you embark on this journey document everything as regards to the cost.

I would like to know how much the underground tank and the solar installation will cost.Do you have estimates?
kizee
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2009 8:06:00 AM

@kaigangio....

im with chaka on this one..kindly keep us all in the loop,we will follow suit...its ultimately a cheaper and more sustainable option
Jus Blazin
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2009 8:20:00 AM

talk of thinking outside the box. this is the kind of leader we need. good post @gizzard. now for the costs...do let us know...

From a Little Spark may burst a Mighty Flame...
Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity. ~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca
mukiha
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2009 9:30:00 AM

@kaigangio: The water plan is excellent,it is 'doable'. That's how people survive in shags.

....but I'm not sure about the elec plan... the costs of the gadgets will prove prohibitive... a 12W panel is about sh5k...3.2kW will put you back about a million bob! Secondly,you will probably not have enough surface area on your roof to fit the panels....

In my estate,we have about 400 homes. We want to sink our own borehole. We figure it will cost about 2m . . .that's about 5k from each home....

Behind the gardens...Behind the wall...Under the tree (Including: Red...Dark Blue...Yellow)
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
Chaka
#13 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2009 10:02:00 AM

@Mukiha,

Who said solar panels must be on the roof?Why not hang them on the walls as well and also mount some on the ground level?
mukiha
#14 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2009 10:51:00 AM

@Chaka; God said so!!

If you hang them on the walls,you lose about 70% of the output because of the angle of incidence of the sun's rays. If you put them on the ground,you the run the risk of shadows (from nearby trees and from the house etc) falling on the panels...this creates un-equal voltage out put and accelerates the aging process of the panels... can lose up to 40% of their life-span!!

@kaigangio; You can't remove your meter even if you have your own water source...reason? You still need sewerage service from Nairobi Water & Sewerage Company! Unless of course you want to dig up you own septic tank...argh..but you have already taken up the space with the clean water tank!!! Any way,sewerage service is cheap...check your water bill and see....

Behind the gardens...Behind the wall...Under the tree (Including: Red...Dark Blue...Yellow)
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
kint mint
#15 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2009 11:59:00 AM

@kaigangio..very good post .Though the solutions are individualistic,they give insights to future homeowners (current rent payers!!).

By the way,what happened to Sondu miriu?,As the dams dry (up upstream) can't resources be put so that the rain down stream be harvested (reason) we are draining it all.

The water problem,is it only affecting Nairobi residents? Is Nyanza water performing? how about Mombasa? Do we blame nature or poor management? (I just have to ask because this is all I think am allowed to do!).

We've learnt that for a household with five lives you require one million to invest in solar panels 3kw..How about the cost of 120 m3 tank (labour,material,cost)?

De la Rue SniPer chasing that paper..
Kaigangio
#16 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2009 12:32:00 PM

@ mukiha,

I quite agree that the panels will require a large surface area which they will need to occupy. i will go for 330watts panels with a total area of 2.4 square metres. i will need 10 of these panels and the surface area requirement will be 24sq.m and the roof will therefore be 7m x 5m since the panel size is 1.9m x 1.3m. The vehicle garage roof will provide the surface for the panel installations.

As for the cost,larger pv panels are 'relatively' cheaper compared to the smaller modules. i have not quite worked out the real cost but the preliminary estimate puts it at just about 1.1m. Like i said the installations shall be carried out in phases because of this big capital cost requirement.

As for the water tank i have enough space in my homestead. So i will not have any problem with its sitting.

The National Water and Sewerage Company does not offer me the Sewer services and i have been paying them for this service. I have my own septic tank.

Thanks for the correction.

@ all,

I will share with you my experiences once the ball starts rolling.

mukiha
#17 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2009 12:44:00 PM

@Kaigangio; As I said,the water solution is a sure bet. For the power,you will probably get better results with a wind mill. Telkom have started installing wind mills and solar panells at their BTSs. The plan is to install the alternative power sources at all the BTSs...then they will cut their power bill by about 80%.

A guy invovled in the project told me that at one of the sites in Kajiado,the wind mill is generating more power than they can store in the batteries...and the batteries have double the capacity required by the BTS.

I think wind is the way to go...not solar! The technology is also less complex

zamali
#18 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2009 1:18:00 PM

I travelled across villages in the larger Muranga some 3 years ago and was very impressed by their private power generation initiatives. Almost every other stream,river,rivulet had a turbine run generator. I think such bold steps free us from incompetent frms mentioned above

Zama za Kengen IPO.... zama za mali
Kaigangio
#19 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2009 1:56:00 PM

@ mukiha,

i had already considered the possibility of the wind turbine but Nairobi and the surrounding areas are not considered wndy locations and as such,the windmill power generation system is not viable. The ukambani,south and north rift,northern and eastern kenya areas are suitable wind farms for small and large scale power generations. So i am sticking to the photovoltaic scheme.

mukiha
#20 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2009 5:36:00 AM

@Kaigangio;

There is a smallish wind turbine at the top of Zain House (Parkside Towers) on Mombasa road. Perhaps you could find out how it performs.

On the other hand,see an interesting new development on photo-cells in today's Daily Nation p26