wazua Sat, May 4, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

forex traders..Weakening shilling...why? Till what level?
slykat
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 26, 2010 1:50:13 AM

I usually like to move cash to my Kenyan account only when exchange rates are favourable, such as now. In a few weeks the STP has risen by about 10bob. Those dealing in forex...where do you expect it to plateau...and what is behind all this?
Mwafrika31
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 26, 2010 4:22:04 AM

Hi,
Now is the time to stock up on shillings. The fate of the shilling is in large part being determined by the economic convulsion in Europe. EU & England are a big market for Kenyan products & since their economy is contracting, they're losing purchasing power, which means less income for Kenya, which means less demand for the shilling (to buy Kenyan product), which means those holding the shilling sell it for other currency e.g dollars, hence loss of value vis a vis, usd.
slykat
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 26, 2010 2:11:38 PM

@Mwafrika31

...is in large part being determined by the economic convulsion in Europe. EU & England...

Thanks for ur views on the why...makes sense with dollar and stp but not the euro which is being dumped worldwide but strangely gaining against ksh. Nway, do you have views on the value at which ksh is expected to level vis-a-vis usd n stp? That is, why stock now, if i can stock say mid August at 130 for 1 STP for instance? I am imagining the red and green tension shud weaken it further so weakest in first wk of august.. ama?

slykat
#4 Posted : Monday, June 28, 2010 2:58:50 AM

Mwafrika31
#5 Posted : Monday, June 28, 2010 7:59:42 AM

@ slykat,

You do raise some good points. Speculation is always risky. You may choose to wait for august in the hopes that the shilling will slide further, but world events are unpredictable. Considering that many diaspora Kenyans have also noted shilling the losing value, it is likely that they will start purchasing vast amounts thereby slowing its slide, as you know as summer ends in the West and the tourist season starts which also may increase demand for ksh. Historical analysis also shows that the shilling is unlikely to lose value to really drastically.

As for the euro, for foreign traders, its preffered to the shilling as its more convertible. Hence while the euro may lose against the dollar, but still gain against the ksh. Hedge your bets as a good trader, buy some shillings now and monitor the rate in the coming weeks. But dont fail to buy anything pinning all your hopes on ksh weakening further.