wazua Fri, May 17, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Don't judge a book by its cover.................
selah
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2010 2:46:31 PM

I had a chance to go through confidential files of a very successful consultancy firm and what amazed me was Two sets of books one for the banks another one for KRA.

The one for the bank declared huge profits as well as impressive capitalization for the KRA one..... well you can just fill the blanks.

If such a firm can do that to sophisticated institutions like banks and KRA what about us the ordinary investors?

'......to the acknowledgment of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; 3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.' Colossians 2:2-3
rasilio
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2010 2:51:53 PM

selah, ain't nothing wrong with 'avin' two set o books. It's basic finance. Think of financial ratios and their impact on decisions. I keep 3 books. Two for others and one (the real one) for myself.
VituVingiSana
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2010 2:56:01 PM

selah wrote:
I had a chance to go through confidential files of a very successful consultancy firm and what amazed me was Two sets of books one for the banks another one for KRA.

The one for the bank declared huge profits as well as impressive capitalization for the KRA one..... well you can just fill the blanks.

If such a firm can do that to sophisticated institutions like banks and KRA what about us the ordinary investors?

BTW, I hope u know that the TAX accounts are sort of different from what is presented/published... Nothing fishy...
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
kyukkamba
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2010 3:39:13 PM

If this consultancy firm of urs is cheating I think it's very EASY for either of the two Bank or the KRA to know. Banks are not stupid.they will want to know the tax that the firm is paying. Tax is not paid by trial and error it has a basis of calculation which I believe the Bank Finacial Analysts know how.

Unless the 2 sets are prepared for two different reasons I don't see the possibility of any "SUCCESSFUL" firm cheating so easily. if it was this easy to cheat I dont think the KRA will be feared this much.
Ni Uhuru wa Mbesha...Niguo kana tiguo?
selah
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2010 3:47:12 PM

Going through the books I realized that a company can manipulate its books and dupe the shareholders just like Uchumi and telcom kenya only to realise when its too late.

Most books are based on assumptions which are supposed to reflect the true picture of the business but in most cases these assumptions are either misreported or over exaggerated.

Just the other day the orange fell into the same deception with telkom.
'......to the acknowledgment of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; 3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.' Colossians 2:2-3
Intelligentsia
#6 Posted : Monday, June 28, 2010 11:59:35 AM

@selah, am surprised you are surprised abt the fine art of window-dressing/ cooking books!
Because it is mostly in tax evasion (as opposed to tax avoidance which is legal) that man's sheer creative financial genius comes to light. An ordinary-looking Joe can give you such doctored statements mpaka ushangae.

I worked as a credit analyst for a busy bank and looked at hundreds of balance sheets from smes to big organisations and from there I could see kenya need never have a budget deficit if all loopholes were sealed as we could collect enough to meet the country's needs.
Some business men have 4 sets of financials, for:
- KRA (iko na fiction mingi)
- Bank (fiction)
- wife (fiction)
- Himself (the true reflection of the business)

But banks have ways of quickly telling the fakes, as they combine the a/c statements and site visits to the customer's premises and also get references.

mukiha
#7 Posted : Monday, June 28, 2010 12:34:17 PM

...most businesses have just one set of accounts.. the fake one!!

The true one is not written down and exists only in the head of the owner. No wonder so many fail and the owners don't even know why!
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.