wazua Fri, Apr 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Solar Power for domestic Use
Blackberry
#1 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2010 9:59:13 AM

Im considering installing Solar Power to replace KPLCSad . I need to make an informed choice of panels, Inverters Batteries. I need education on what is sufficient to power up kawa apliances in the hse fridge, lighting,TV etc. Please share your experiences & Ideas
Thanks

Opinion is free, truth is sacred.

sky5
#2 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2010 11:26:22 AM

@blackberry. You need to visit e-solar/Kenital solar or Telesales. The total consumption of your appliances will need to be assesed to arrive at the size of panels/battery/inverter.

Energy saving bulbs are recommended (LED type - not the type being given by KPLC). This will ensure the battery is discharged smoothly.
Blackberry
#3 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2010 12:12:38 PM

Thanks Sky5 try telesales. I made enqieies to kenya solr and kenital but sijapata majibu
experiences?....anyone? estimate costs? dont want just a slaesman's side of story

Blackberry
#4 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2010 12:13:32 PM

Thanks Sky5 will try telesales. I made enqieies to kenya solr and kenital but sijapata majibu
experiences?....anyone? estimate costs? dont want just a slaesman's side of story

Outvestor
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2010 4:49:49 AM

Refer below for previous discussions on nguvu za kiume ...er sorry nguvu za jua

http://wazua.co.ke/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=4564
http://wazua.co.ke/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=763
http://wazua.co.ke/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=4148
¡ʇɹoɟɟǝ ƃuıɟɟǝ ǝɥʇ ɹoɟ ɥɔnɯ os ؛uıɐʌ uı ɔıqɐɹɐ ƃuıuɹɐǝן pǝıɹʇ ı
doubtfire
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2010 4:26:38 PM

try a company called the kenya data networks it has both solar and wind solutions.try to find out from their website
Gordon Gekko
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2010 6:32:57 PM

Mrs Doubtfire, I've always known KDN to be an information infrastructure company with the largest fibre optic network in East Africa. Never heard of their side business.
doubtfire
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 13, 2010 10:52:56 AM

@Gekko they started such projects when the water level went down.they call it powersol.they have solar panel,battery and wind turbines
Blackberry
#9 Posted : Monday, June 14, 2010 10:56:02 AM

Haiya??! KDN? will check them out
Thanks Pepo

mukiha
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 22, 2010 9:51:04 AM

Many of the large transport companies that operate fleets of trucks do not actually own the tyres that their vehicles run on! They lease them from tyre management companies [eg, Tread Setters]. It works cheaper than holding a huge stock of tyres in their warehouses.

Now; one time a long serving and loyal driver was retiring and the employer wanted to give him a fitting send-off. So they decided to give him the 40-tonne truck that he had driven for the last ten years.

The hand-over ceremony was done and the retiring driver was asked to collect his lorry the following week. When he went, he found the truck all cleaned up and re-painted but it had no tyres - just rims!

Upon asking about them he was told "Si unajua tyres sio zetu. Wewe fanya hivi, enda nunua zako ulete tuku wekee halafu uchukue gari yako."

That was a big problem: one truck tyre costs about sh50k and he needed 22 of them: that's a cool sh1.1m - which he didn't have of course!

So what has this got to do with solar power?

Sunshine is free and we have plenty of it. Unfortunately, the process of converting it into electricity is very expensive. It will cost you about a million bob to replace your KPLC connection and enjoy the same appliances that you have in your house.

It's like the free truck without tyres!!
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
Blackberry
#11 Posted : Friday, June 25, 2010 4:21:10 PM

mukiha wrote:

Sunshine is free and we have plenty of it. Unfortunately, the process of converting it into electricity is very expensive. It will cost you about a million bob to replace your KPLC connection and enjoy the same appliances that you have in your house.

Hey OK!! nimekupata...still nitajaribu kureplace KPLC where I canPray Pray ....I'll start with lighting...nimegather powering the fridge na solar is quite expensive d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

mukiha
#12 Posted : Monday, June 28, 2010 2:36:57 PM

Blackberry wrote:
mukiha wrote:

Hey OK!! nimekupata...still nitajaribu kureplace KPLC where I canPray Pray ....I'll start with lighting...nimegather powering the fridge na solar is quite expensive d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

Even solar lighting doesn't make economic sense when you have KPLC. They payback time is toooooo loooooong - something like 25yrs. You can only do it as a matter of principle; not economics.

If you are worried about KPLC's reliability, then what you need is a good UPS - without the panels
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
mukiha
#13 Posted : Monday, June 28, 2010 2:43:09 PM

Interesting observation: The north rift valley and the upper eastern province regions are amongst the sunniest ares in Kenya. Now two companies have started the process of building large scale renewable energy generators in these regions. They haven't gone solar; they chose wind. WHY? It is much cheaper and more available than sunshine...even in the sunniest region of the country!
nostoppingthis
#14 Posted : Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:48:46 PM

@mukiha, what KVA UPS would suffice running a house, say 6 hours? (assuming power will have returned by then). 10,000 KVA? and do you have an idea of the cost implications? I wonder also if the UPS will only serve appliances?
mukiha
#15 Posted : Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:42:31 PM

nostoppingthis wrote:
@mukiha, what KVA UPS would suffice running a house, say 6 hours? (assuming power will have returned by then). 10,000 KVA? and do you have an idea of the cost implications? I wonder also if the UPS will only serve appliances?

The KVA does not determine the length of time the UPS will last. It tells you the size of load it can support. For a typical house, I think 3KVA would be enough.

The parameter that determines the duration is the AH (ampere hour) rating of the battery. For 6 hours you will probably need a 500AH battery.
gk
#16 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2016 7:51:05 PM

The cost of installing solar lighting has dropped markedly over last couple of years.
Challenge is; who is offering the best quality & package for domestic use?
newfarer
#17 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2016 7:57:47 PM

Where can I get a household windpower set up to complement solar power during cold days. Something similar to what I see at athiriver namanga interchange
punda amecheka
KulaRaha
#18 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2016 8:46:43 PM

I installed a 300 litre solar water heater in my house 5 years ago. Cost me 120k back then (I hear prices have dropped). My power bill dropped by 45% in month one, and has remained the same within 10% of that through power price hikes and dips. I have recently added 2 instant showers as I have a large family and many guests. No effect on monthly bills.

A friend built his home in 2007 and installed a full house solar system from Australia. Cost him 1M. His power bill is 200 bob monthly and his home is bigger than mine.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
newfarer
#19 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2016 9:05:17 PM

KulaRaha wrote:
I installed a 300 litre solar water heater in my house 5 years ago. Cost me 120k back then (I hear prices have dropped). My power bill dropped by 45% in month one, and has remained the same within 10% of that through power price hikes and dips. I have recently added 2 instant showers as I have a large family and many guests. No effect on monthly bills.

A friend built his home in 2007 and installed a full house solar system from Australia. Cost him 1M. His power bill is 200 bob monthly and his home is bigger than mine.

Your friend must have already recovered his 1million investment by now.
punda amecheka
newfarer
#20 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2016 9:08:34 PM

doubtfire wrote:
@Gekko they started such projects when the water level went down.they call it powersol.they have solar panel,battery and wind turbines

This could be what I was talking about
punda amecheka