wazua Sun, May 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

772 Pages«<4849505152>»
Kenya Airways...why ignore..
obiero
#981 Posted : Saturday, October 18, 2014 4:52:00 PM

the first of five 737 800 is on its way to the motherland.. when the inevitable profit turnaround comes soon, most wazuans will be left wondering..

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
VituVingiSana
#982 Posted : Saturday, October 18, 2014 5:50:00 PM

obiero wrote:
the first of five 737 800 is on its way to the motherland.. when the inevitable profit turnaround comes soon, most wazuans will be left wondering..
For repairs? Or being returned coz KQ doesn't need it? Or returned to the Lessor?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
obiero
#983 Posted : Saturday, October 18, 2014 5:55:53 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
For repairs? Or being returned coz KQ doesn't need it? Or returned to the Lessor?

Boss. 737 not 787

Ash Ock
#984 Posted : Saturday, October 18, 2014 5:59:24 PM

obiero wrote:

?

Probably the 5 remaining 767-300s being returned or the 1st of two 737-800s ordered (one to replaced 5Y-KYA).

Edit: sorry @obiero, seems like we posted at the same time.
Sent from my Black Nokia 3310
sparkly
#985 Posted : Saturday, October 18, 2014 7:14:56 PM

obiero wrote:

The airline business makes money for everyone else except the shareholder.

Money for the plane manufacturers, financiers/lessors, oil companies, pilots and executives but nothing left for the shareholders. As optimistic as I am for KQ and its newer fleet, I Know that operating and financing costs will go up exponentially, offsetting increase in revenues and savings in maintenance.
Life is short. Live passionately.
VituVingiSana
#986 Posted : Saturday, October 18, 2014 7:39:44 PM

sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:

Money for the plane manufacturers, financiers/lessors, oil companies, pilots and executives but nothing left for the shareholders. As optimistic as I am for KQ and its newer fleet, I Know that operating and financing costs will go up exponentially, offsetting increase in revenues and savings in maintenance.
Ask Warren Buffett. I should have listened to him much earlier but better late than never!
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
murchr
#987 Posted : Saturday, October 18, 2014 7:48:21 PM

sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:

Avoid generalizations and blanket statements, there are airlines out there making money for its shareholders.
You cant say that for airlines such as Singapore airlines
Last year Delta Airlines paid quarterly dividends and did some share buy back, you know how that can affect the price. Tho they last did it in 2003. US Airlines has been profitable for some time and bought/merged with AA. Southwest has been giving its shareholders dividends every quarter but their plus has been their business strategy. Hedging. With Oil prices going down , KQ would get a loss if they locked down a high price. But i have no idea how that balances out with a strong Dollar.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
sparkly
#988 Posted : Saturday, October 18, 2014 9:55:56 PM

murchr wrote:
sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:

Avoid generalizations and blanket statements, there are airlines out there making money for its shareholders.
Last year Delta Airlines paid quarterly dividends and did some share buy back, you know how that can affect the price. Tho they last did it in 2003. US Airlines has been profitable for some time and bought/merged with AA. Southwest has been giving its shareholders dividends every quarter but their plus has been their business strategy. Hedging. With Oil prices going down , KQ would get a loss if they locked down a high price. But i have no idea how that balances out with a strong Dollar.

A List of Airlines that have crash landed!
Kausha
#989 Posted : Sunday, October 19, 2014 8:57:55 AM

Things looking dieng. Coming up halfs may shock some.
obiero
#990 Posted : Sunday, October 19, 2014 10:37:52 AM

binadamu yawa. ptho. people forget KQ has been consistently making profit for more than 30 years. usione simba amenyeshewa ukadhani ni paka

mv_ufanisi
#991 Posted : Sunday, October 19, 2014 10:53:53 AM

obiero wrote:
binadamu yawa. ptho. people forget KQ has been consistently making profit for more than 30 years. usione simba amenyeshewa ukadhani ni paka

pengine KQ is now an old simba which has lost its teeth. I'm typing this from an airport after kq cancelling a flight without prior warning. next time I'm flying SAA or Rwandair.
Kausha
#992 Posted : Sunday, October 19, 2014 1:32:37 PM

In sport they say you only are as good as your last game. I find this increasingly applicable to organizations and most life scenarios as well.
VituVingiSana
#993 Posted : Sunday, October 19, 2014 5:36:42 PM

Kausha wrote:
In sport they say you only are as good as your last game. I find this increasingly applicable to organizations and most life scenarios as well.
Amen. There was a time, not so long ago, when few thought Barclays would play second fiddle to KCB & Equity. It was by far the most trusted and profitable bank.
VituVingiSana
#994 Posted : Sunday, October 19, 2014 5:40:13 PM

obiero wrote:
Where did you get your data from? KQ was 100% gov't owned until the early 90s [Speedwing Consulting brought in KLM] until it was restructured. Please provide us with the data for the past 30 years to enable us buy into your theory.
Boris Boyka
#995 Posted : Sunday, October 19, 2014 7:59:46 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
Where did you get your data from? KQ was 100% gov't owned until the early 90s [Speedwing Consulting brought in KLM] until it was restructured. Please provide us with the data for the past 30 years to enable us buy into your theory.

@vvs was it making profit or not? whether it was gvt owned or private read @obiero's comment well. Nway on this you're right. QUOTE " In 1996, the largest share issue in the
history of NSE, the privatisation of Kenya
Airways, came to the market. Having sold a 26% stake to KLM, the Govt of Kenya offered 235,423,896 shares
(51% of the fully paid and issued shares of
Kshs 5.00 each) to the public at Kshs 11.25. Over 110,000 shareholders acquired a stake in the airline and the Govt reduced its stake from 74% to 23%.The KQ Privatization team was awarded the World Bank Award for Excellence for 1996 for
being a model success story in the divestiture of state-owned enterprises". Don't ask me for Links
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
maka
#996 Posted : Sunday, October 19, 2014 9:17:01 PM

Bad news....
possunt quia posse videntur
murchr
#997 Posted : Sunday, October 19, 2014 10:00:55 PM

sparkly wrote:
murchr wrote:
sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:

Comeon @Sparky i thought you're more intelligent than that. In every industry, all the companies that dont adapt and change with the environment DIE. It doesnt matter if its in banking or manufacturing.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
VituVingiSana
#998 Posted : Sunday, October 19, 2014 11:58:52 PM

Boris Boyka wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:

@vvs was it making profit or not? whether it was gvt owned or private read @obiero's comment well. Nway on this you're right. QUOTE " In 1996, the largest share issue in the
history of NSE, the privatisation of Kenya
Airways, came to the market. Having sold a 26% stake to KLM, the Govt of Kenya offered 235,423,896 shares
(51% of the fully paid and issued shares of
Kshs 5.00 each) to the public at Kshs 11.25. Over 110,000 shareholders acquired a stake in the airline and the Govt reduced its stake from 74% to 23%.The KQ Privatization team was awarded the World Bank Award for Excellence for 1996 for
being a model success story in the divestiture of state-owned enterprises". Don't ask me for Links

So where is the data that @obiero is quoting from? And more important, where is the data for the past 30 years esp pre-1996?
Gordon Gekko
#999 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2014 6:11:47 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:

Were these the days of VC10, Fokker 27 and Boeing 707Laughing out loudly
sparkly
#1000 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2014 7:47:45 AM

murchr wrote:
sparkly wrote:
murchr wrote:
sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:

Comeon @Sparky i thought you're more intelligent than that. In every industry, all the companies that dont adapt and change with the environment DIE. It doesnt matter if its in banking or manufacturing.

@murchr in the airline industry failure is the rule rather than the exception.

lets talk facts, shall we...
The airline industry is characterized by:
1. High barriers to entry because of capital costs and regulations.
2. Low profit margins.
3. High fixed costs for fuel, personnel, debt service and lease rentals.
4. Highly competitive, with constant price wars and ticket discounting. Most are highly subsidized national assets.

Our beloved pride of Africa's (one of the best performing and managed airlines in the world) revenues for the last 3 yrs combined was KShs 311B but only KShs 1.6B reached the shareholders!
Putting that money in T Bills would have earned you at least KShs 30B.

IMO, compared with other investments, project mawingu is just creating a bigger giant with a softer under belly.

Now @murchr which of the above do you dispute? Give reasons.