772 Pages«<268269270271272>»
Kenya Airways...why ignore..
Spikes
#5381 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2016 12:41:47 PM

obiero wrote:
littledove wrote:
obiero wrote:
majimaji wrote:
[quote=VituVingiSana]Uganda in plans to relaunch national carrier, upgrade Entebbe airport

http://www.theeastafrica...3756-nw4qwvz/index.html[/quote]

I would advise the Ugandans to upgrade Entebbe but not relaunch their airline. Airlines lose money and wise governments leave that risk to private operators unless that government is very rich and the taxpayers don't mind.

Seconded.. Uganda shall fail in the attempt. Running an airline isn't a simple thing. If Nigeria doesn't have one..

they can manage if only they avoid hedging and corruption

KQ looking like one of the few bargain counters at the NSE

KQ stock is the most expensive not only at NSE but also globally!
John 5:17 But Jesus replied, “My Father is always working, and so am I.”
Ericsson
#5382 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2016 12:46:02 PM

Chinese airlines are in a hiring spree for foreign pilots and are willing to pay 50% more than what pilots are paid in USA.
This is due to shortage of pilots in China.
Chinese airlines require to hire like 100 pilots a week for the next 20 years.
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Swenani
#5383 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2016 12:49:59 PM

Ericsson wrote:
Chinese airlines are in a hiring spree for foreign pilots and are willing to pay 50% more than what pilots are paid in USA.

How now?How many airlines are in china? How many aeroplanes do they have? How many pilots are alread there? Ama we are talking about the wazuans pilots? If so, where do I send my cv.

@Masukuma, could you find some numbers for this?
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Ericsson
#5384 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2016 1:00:54 PM

http://fortune.com/2016/...irlines-foreign-pilots/

http://www.bloomberg.com...with-lucrative-pay-perks
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
obiero
#5385 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2016 1:01:20 PM

Swenani wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

How now?How many airlines are in china? How many aeroplanes do they have? How many pilots are alread there? Ama we are talking about the wazuans pilots? If so, where do I send my cv.

@Masukuma, could you find some numbers for this?

LOL

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Impunity
#5386 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2016 1:50:37 PM

Ericsson wrote:
http://fortune.com/2016/08/18/china-airlines-foreign-pilots/

http://www.bloomberg.com...ith-lucrative-pay-perks

I await @masukuma to tabulate these stories with some Viusals 9VM) for easy comparison.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

obiero
#5387 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2016 8:27:30 PM

Impunity wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
http://fortune.com/2016/08/18/china-airlines-foreign-pilots/

http://www.bloomberg.com...ith-lucrative-pay-perks

I await @masukuma to tabulate these stories with some Viusals 9VM) for easy comparison.

Let this thread not be overrun by green section elders.. Mukome

VituVingiSana
#5388 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2016 1:13:45 AM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
maka wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
maka wrote:
ArrestedDev wrote:
obiero wrote:
@arresteddev only time will tell whether KQ shall sink further

The road to recovery is long and treacherous. A competent management is required going forward. It is evident Ngunze is not the right person. Today he says one thing and tomorrow another thing. Any gains at the operating level will be wiped out by hedging losses and finance costs.

@Obiero what is the average tenor of their loans?How much are they owed?

13 local banks have lent to KQ amounts in excess of KES 52 billion shillings. 11 banks, 7 months ago agreed to restructure the tenor from 1-3 years to 7 years. But two refused, leading to average tenor of 4 years

Which 2 banks refused? [Smart management]

Kaburu banks

Which banks have lent KQ money?
Please list names and amounts. Asante.
Why did the 2 Kaburu banks refuse?
Have they been paid?

Dear @Bankers @Auditors, I wonder, according to CBK/Opus guidelines, whether the loans to KQ are considered NPLs?

Must be NPLs...they are living hand to mouth.Wait for kidogo sales pay a few people default on others...vicious cycle.

They are NPLs but not hardcore

Which IFRS/IAS standard deals with "Softcore NPLs"?
What does Mr. Opus say re: KQ loans?
Are the loans being serviced [even if interest-only]?

According to CBK guidelines, if a loan is not serviced according to the terms of the agreement, for 3 months... the loan starts on the process to becoming a NPL. After 6 months, it is a 100% NPL loan.

Furthermore, CBK's guidelines also state that if the Lender thinks the loan is going to go bad [even before the 6 months are up] the Lender has to move it to NPLs.

Are these loans secured? If yes, with what assets? If they are unsecured, then based on the "Negative Liability" position, the CBK guidelines would lean towards NPLs.

These are the questions Investors should ask.

I am KK-damu but (sadly) I own 1/44,000,000 of 30% of KQ. Plus a share of the loans given to KQ. And on the hook for the guarantees.

NPL grading is on CBK prudential guidelines not IFRS.. In Kenya, a loan has 5 core grade scores, with 1 being soft

CBK guidelines are even tougher than IFRS.
What is a "softcore" [say 1] grade?
What does it mean? What does it entail?

I would have broken it down but I do not have time.. Please visit www.centralbank.go.ke

There is nothing like a "softcore" NPL...
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
obiero
#5389 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2016 10:11:17 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
maka wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
maka wrote:
ArrestedDev wrote:
obiero wrote:

The road to recovery is long and treacherous. A competent management is required going forward. It is evident Ngunze is not the right person. Today he says one thing and tomorrow another thing. Any gains at the operating level will be wiped out by hedging losses and finance costs.

13 local banks have lent to KQ amounts in excess of KES 52 billion shillings. 11 banks, 7 months ago agreed to restructure the tenor from 1-3 years to 7 years. But two refused, leading to average tenor of 4 years

Kaburu banks

Have they been paid?

Dear @Bankers @Auditors, I wonder, according to CBK/Opus guidelines, whether the loans to KQ are considered NPLs?

Must be NPLs...they are living hand to mouth.Wait for kidogo sales pay a few people default on others...vicious cycle.

According to CBK guidelines, if a loan is not serviced according to the terms of the agreement, for 3 months... the loan starts on the process to becoming a NPL. After 6 months, it is a 100% NPL loan.

Furthermore, CBK's guidelines also state that if the Lender thinks the loan is going to go bad [even before the 6 months are up] the Lender has to move it to NPLs.

Are these loans secured? If yes, with what assets? If they are unsecured, then based on the "Negative Liability" position, the CBK guidelines would lean towards NPLs.

I am KK-damu but (sadly) I own 1/44,000,000 of 30% of KQ. Plus a share of the loans given to KQ. And on the hook for the guarantees.

NPL grading is on CBK prudential guidelines not IFRS.. In Kenya, a loan has 5 core grade scores, with 1 being soft

I would have broken it down but I do not have time.. Please visit www.centralbank.go.ke

There are buckets in loan categories from 10 to 50. An NPL at 20 cannot have the same risk as that in 50

VituVingiSana
#5390 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2016 10:39:34 AM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
maka wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
maka wrote:
ArrestedDev wrote:
obiero wrote:

Kaburu banks

Have they been paid?

There are buckets in loan categories from 10 to 50. An NPL at 20 cannot have the same risk as that in 50

I have read the CBK's Prudential Guidelines... There is some flexibility that gives banks the discretion on how to categorize NPLs but the CBK (well, under PN) doesn't allow for laxity.
Many banks eg NIC have substantially increased their NPLs post-Imperial/Chase.
Modification of terms are allowed e.g. 2 years to 7 years with moratoriums on Principal Payments BUT the CBK doesn't want to simply kick a NPL down the line 7 years coz that isn't prudent like what Ndungu did with Dubai Bank [& probably Imperial].

Do you have a breakdown of which banks are owed how much by KQ?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
ArrestedDev
#5391 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2016 1:31:21 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
maka wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
maka wrote:
ArrestedDev wrote:
obiero wrote:

Kaburu banks

Have they been paid?

I have read the CBK's Prudential Guidelines... There is some flexibility that gives banks the discretion on how to categorize NPLs but the CBK (well, under PN) doesn't allow for laxity.
Modification of terms are allowed e.g. 2 years to 7 years with moratoriums on Principal Payments BUT the CBK doesn't want to simply kick a NPL down the line 7 years coz that isn't prudent like what Ndungu did with Dubai Bank [& probably Imperial].

I know of EXIM and AFDB.
maka
#5392 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2016 5:55:16 PM

ArrestedDev wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
maka wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
maka wrote:
ArrestedDev wrote:
obiero wrote:

Kaburu banks

Have they been paid?

I know of EXIM and AFDB.

Equity
possunt quia posse videntur
hisah
#5393 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2016 6:31:36 PM

Cathay Says Premium Travel Slumping, Prompting Discounts

Airlines should avoid hedges which have proved to cost them money over the years. Unless their finance team is actively trading the markets it's a futile exercise.
$15/barrel oil... The commodities lehman moment arrives as well as Sovereign debt volcano!
obiero
#5394 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2016 9:43:22 PM

hisah wrote:
Cathay Says Premium Travel Slumping, Prompting Discounts

Airlines should avoid hedges which have proved to cost them money over the years. Unless their finance team is actively trading the markets it's a futile exercise.

Indeed. The wise Ngunze has abolished hedging at KQ

Siringi
#5395 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2016 2:35:23 AM

Rink : Story 👉 Opinion :- We must avoid Jambojet becoming another KQ 😐😯 read the sentiments on the comments section
"😖😡KQ makes money for everyone except the shareholder 😏😏 " overheard in Wazua
ArrestedDev
#5396 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2016 3:21:25 AM

August is considered as a peak period, the ticket prices are high. He is not telling us when was the booking done. Hersi manages a hotel and how much does he charge during the peak season. Jambojet is there to make money. This kind of whining is uncalled for.
VituVingiSana
#5397 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2016 5:24:22 PM

ArrestedDev wrote:

August is considered as a peak period, the ticket prices are high. He is not telling us when was the booking done. Hersi manages a hotel and how much does he charge during the peak season. Jambojet is there to make money. This kind of whining is uncalled for.

Agreed but Hersi has a point. If the rates he quotes are correct then 29k for a one-way economy flight is ridiculous!
ArrestedDev
#5398 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2016 5:36:54 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
ArrestedDev wrote:

Agreed but Hersi has a point. If the rates he quotes are correct then 29k for a one-way economy flight is ridiculous!

Last minute bookings, no mercy at all.
VituVingiSana
#5399 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2016 6:19:12 PM

ArrestedDev wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
ArrestedDev wrote:

Last minute bookings, no mercy at all.
Book early is the lesson here! At 29k, the guys could have hired an entire bus to drive them to Diani!
Pesa Nane
#5400 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2016 6:31:57 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
ArrestedDev wrote:

Hehe, Point taken! but nowhere he says 29K was for a one-way ticket. He writes "...for a one way ticket costing as high as 16K."
My word search did not find any mention of "economy"
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.