wazua Sun, Jul 7, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
NTV Inside the constitution.
Magigi
#1 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 6:50:00 AM

...Did anybody watch NTV Inside the constitution' yesterday? Though I am a YES man, it is becoming seemingly clear that come August 4 the draft constitution will be shot down. The deputy speaker was so agitated that to me he looked like he was about to 'detonate'. If there are muslims in Kenya who have more convictions than the Deputy Speaker, then we are headed for very serious trouble.

....one of the panelists mentioned that in South Africa the KAdhi courts were expunged from the constitution. How have other countries handled their situations eg Uganda where there are a sizable number of muslims, the USA etc. Does anybody know?

...Afew weeks ago my mother asked me what benefits will accrue fro Muslims by having the KAdhi courts in the constitution. I did not have an answer. Does anybody know?
sky5
#2 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 7:03:39 AM

The benefit of having the Kadhi courts in the constitution is that they will have their countrywide presence recognised in the constitution.

In the current constitution, the Kadhi courts are limited to the 10 mile coastal strip. However, an act of parliament extended their jurisdiction to cover several cities and towns. This act of parliament is what was declared unconstitutional by the three High Court judges. This is what has raised political temperature.

chepkel
#3 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 7:11:32 AM

I really do not see the problem with The Kadhi courts. There were many people who were saying that it should just be created using an act of parliament and not entrenched in the constitution. I really do not see the difference, either way it will still be created, right??? But if the latter will ease tensions then why not just do it???
Fundaah
#4 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 7:23:57 AM

Magigi ...chances of this 'government project' failing are almost zero....Kiraitu said it yesterday in a veiled manner ....The yes secretariat will use the 2005 'Yes' and 'No' experience to ensure the get a massive win.....Hurdles will be many though....

From 'insertions' to 'ruling ' ... we are yet to hear more.....

I wonder if there is anyone who was 'beaten' by Moi.. including the clergy ..during the struggle who is opposing this draft ..give me an example.....This 'jonnnie come late'....are just trying to make a name by opposing a good draft ......

Isaiah 65:17-Look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth, and no one will even think about the old ones anymore
masukuma
#5 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 7:37:31 AM

Only 5 countries world-wide have Kadhis courts through out their nation. I think I can remember India, Jordan, Kenya and some other 2. South African Muslims wanted Kadhi's courts in the draft but after negotiations they saw that the customary law section would fit them too. In Kenya, we had a problem when CoE (despite public outcry) refused to label Kadhi's courts as a contentious matter and thus open up discussion on it. Now see what we have in our hands.
In Tanganyika, we have everyone working under customary law (JALA) - as long as its not contrary to the constitution (rights are not withheld).
My point is: Kadhi's courts are very relevant to the Muslim faith and it would be totally uncouth and insensitive to ask them not to have them. I am told the cost of running the Nairobi Kadhi's courts is less than 100k a month (this is a sum SUPKEM or NAMLEF can cough-up) But as far as constitutional matters are concerned everyone can be fitted into Article 45(4), even if Kadhi's courts are mandated under the act of parliament to be set-up, thats OK. We do not have to constitutionalize it.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
masukuma
#6 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 7:39:14 AM

@Fundaa, this draft can incarcerate you ad infinitum.
Fundaah
#7 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 7:40:04 AM

'Afew weeks ago my mother asked me what benefits will accrue fro Muslims by having the KAdhi courts in the constitution. I did not have an answer. Does anybody know?'

The muslim will get their own fair share in sorting personal matters which non-muslim may not understand on how to deal with them...In a constitution everyone gets something....but not everything ..

Isaiah 65:17-Look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth, and no one will even think about the old ones anymore
Magigi
#8 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 7:40:20 AM

Masukuma... Thanks man...I am learning soomething new every minute!!!
Fundaah
#9 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 7:45:10 AM

Masukuma ....Out of the countries you've mentioned.... tell me any country which took the territory of another as Kenya took the territory of Sultan of Zanzibar?

masukuma
#10 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 7:46:22 AM

@chepkel, we should not fear doing the right thing for future generations because we are 'scared'. Everyone has a right to live in this country and practice their religion at his own cost.
We should not just sing Kumbaya and hold hands when obvious injustices and discriminations are happening so that we don't rock the boat.
sky5
#11 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 7:46:32 AM

@Fundaah...I agree that Government projects rarely fail especially when managed by the Government end to end.

However, when government projects are taken to the court of public opinion, they fail.

2002 - project uhuru failed.
2005 - project wako draft failed.
2010 - (wait and see).

The court of public opinion is merciless and rarely spares the government projects however noble they might be.

It would have been better and proper to declare the project 'a people project'. But when it was declared a Government project, opinions have changed.

Citizen TV poll last night showed 62% would vote NO and 38% would vote 'YES'.
Fundaah
#12 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 7:50:32 AM

we are now playing a different ball game ... the whole ga'ment is in it ....little opposition from the political arena....and remember this is a 'political project' and if the political side approves it ...hiyo ingine ni macho ya chura...
Brewer
#13 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 7:51:50 AM

@ Magigi, I watched it and much as some people want to brush it off, this issue is very contentious. It is becoming clear that the ruling by the court was quite serious and despite the insults being hurled at them the judges addressed their minds thoroughly to the hot issue.
Fundaah
#14 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 7:58:43 AM

http://www.nation.co.ke/...66/-/4opyxp/-/index.html
sky5
#15 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 8:01:48 AM

It was inadvisable for CoE to brush off the issues raised by the Kenya Christian Constitutional Forum (KCCF) during the review process. In addition to this CoE cleverly went ahead to have all the issues protected in the draft constitution.

Now that we are beyond the review process , the only option left is reject the draft and bring it back to the people for another review.
kadonye
#16 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 8:05:46 AM

Fundaah wrote:

I wonder if there is anyone who was 'beaten' by Moi.. including the clergy ..during the struggle who is opposing this draft ..give me an example.....
Koigi wa Wamwere
What a wicked man I am!The things I want to do,I don't do.The things I don't want to do I find myself doing
chepkel
#17 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 8:07:19 AM

@Masukuma, point taken my friend.
Fundaah
#18 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 8:10:18 AM

It may not be 100% good ....but time for new constitution is not 20years from today .... but 67 days from NOW....

Another 20 years doing ammendments is acceptable but not searching for a complete new constitution.....my pastor told me that all the things we enjoy here on earth will not be in heaven.... of what importance will be a new constitution when Im dead? ...age is catching up(Wendz does this sound familiar smile and could our convergence of opinion on the draft be informed by thissmilesmile ) ....let me get what I can get now... ingine ...young cuties like ...akina masukuma watapigania....
masukuma
#19 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 8:14:55 AM

@Fundaah, The territory of the sultan of Zanzibar also covered the Tanganyikan ,somalia coastlines and i suspect some in Mozambique - why is it only in Kenya that we have this treaty?
Soko tele
#20 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 8:19:39 AM

@Masukuma............the other country that has Kadhi courts is Nigeria.........

During the show, there is a lawyer who raised an issue with how the COE draft is inconsistence and gave an example of the commissions set up.
article 250(1) says the members should be between 3-9 while there are other commissions with more than nine