wazua Fri, May 3, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Looking for a Puppy.
jamplu
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:22:03 AM

hi guyz am looking for a Labrador retriever or German shepherd puppy.
Is there any one who knows a good breeder?
mmarto
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:29:53 PM

i know of a place with good GSD and a boerboel
The only time you should be looking down on others is when you are helping them up.
jamplu
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 26, 2010 2:42:18 PM

mmarto wrote:
i know of a place with good GSD and a boerboel

where is that: contacts? email, fon no?

Intelligentsia
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:29:20 AM

is this what we call puppy love (pun intended)?
jamplu
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 27, 2010 1:23:32 PM

Intelligentsia wrote:
is this what we call puppy love (pun intended)?

acha stori mingi unajua breeder ama hujui??
mmarto
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 27, 2010 1:24:28 PM

i will try get the phones from the two different guys. The GSD go for 20-25k and the boerboels for 50K. I also so an advert at junction of the golden retrievers going for btwn 50-60k. There were also the great dane breeds available at same price.
The only time you should be looking down on others is when you are helping them up.
jamplu
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 27, 2010 1:30:10 PM

mmarto wrote:
i will try get the phones from the two different guys. The GSD go for 20-25k and the boerboels for 50K. I also so an advert at junction of the golden retrievers going for btwn 50-60k. There were also the great dane breeds available at same price.

i'll appreciate. i think would go for GSD's the price is abit fair
PONDI
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 27, 2010 1:50:46 PM

I have a dog... it has the best qualities of the breeds you seek... its a mongrel..
chepkel
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 27, 2010 2:54:41 PM

I would also love to own a GSD. My daughter would totally love it. But my landlord would throw me out.
Phaoro
#10 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 3:34:42 PM

GSD are good dogs, I did not know Boerboels were more expensive that GSD's. But one thing is Boerboels have serious intimidating menacing look.
Intelligentsia
#11 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 4:45:14 PM

@phaoro & jamplu - how come those keeping dobbermans are usu high income jammaz? is it expensive to bring up or what? becasue its an excellent guard dog just like the GSD - so why arent middle and low income jamaaz keeping them snoops?
Phaoro
#12 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 5:45:48 PM

Intelligentsia

Dobes can be seriously aggresive dogs, they have temperament issues and can be very ferocious. Besides you also have to take care of them very well. If you get a puppy, you have to worry about cropping the ears etc.

I once knew of a White man in Rift Valley who would not give or sell his Dobes saying it was equivalent to giving one a loaded gun.

I have seen Dobes in action and the ferocious ones are not to be messed with. They are not like mongrels which bite and run or keep barking and circling around.

Moneyed people use Dobes for security.
Intelligentsia
#13 Posted : Saturday, May 29, 2010 8:36:47 AM

thanks phaoro, and whats with the cut/short tail for dobes? Ama zinazaliwa hivyo?!

@jamplu... I suggest pia you be attending the East African Kennel Club dog shows u can be able to meet a breeder there.
Where we were growing up my wahindi weusi neighbours used to keep all types of dogs but they focussed sana on Alsatians (GSD). They took so many of their dogs to these shows and you should have seen the way their trophies cabinet was bulging with cups!
And the dogs ate much better than most kenyans - liver, avocados, milk, nyama, brown ugz,etc!! Ever wondered where animal parts like cow brains, cow eyes,etc go to? These were bought & served to the grateful dogs. And the cops came to buy many of their Alsatians, while other rich folks brought their bitches (female dog hehee)for a quickie with the GSD champions so as so sire future champs - and they paid dear from KShs 15k which was much in the late 80s/90s.Yaani unauza mbegu zisizo zako...

I think the Alsatian is the most disciplined, intelligent and easily trainable dog there is. The dog could be told to SIT! and it would stay like that for 10,20, 30 mins unless told to get up!

BTW, think a dog is a better & more faithful pet than a cat.
A dog will stick by u & protect you no matter your financial circumstances. Which is why u can see street kids with a dog.
But have you ever seen a cat following street kids?

jamplu
#14 Posted : Saturday, May 29, 2010 10:46:56 AM

@Intelligentsia: I agree with you dogs are the best thing one can keep for a pet.
I wish could find a Labrador Retriever have heard so much good stuff about it. so when are the
East African Kennel Club dog shows held?
mmarto
#15 Posted : Saturday, May 29, 2010 8:04:04 PM

You have to decide what you want the dog for before you decide on the breed. Just like in cows you have beef, pedigree, average and poor dairy cows, the same applies for dogs. For instance not all dogs will be guard dogs. Lets begin: do you want a guard dog or a purely family dog. A dog cannot be both. Having answered that then matters about size come in. Larger breeds eat more, and can be harder to handle. You have to determine and actually be the pack leader for large/guard dogs. It means being available to take charge of them. Then you choose the breed. In my opinion boerboels are the best guard dogs. They are fearless and have a natural instinct to guard, with a strong sixth sense, intelligent and great with the family. They also do not bark ovyo ovyo Dobermans are equally good just as rothweillers tho rothweillers are kichwa ngumu and harder to train and are strong willed and may not be very good with family. GSD's are best overall in terms of being guard dogs, great family dogs. However confronted with a "hard intruder" e.g with gun, gsd's are likely to take off unlike the boeboels, dobberman and rothweiller that have no fear. Enough of that for now. BTW i saw an advert of someone selling a 3 year boerboel for Kshs 200K. (:(((
Ngogoyo
#16 Posted : Saturday, May 04, 2019 12:52:49 PM

On the same note, i have a black Labrador retriever. Playful, friendly, good with kids. 11 months old. I travel too much and no one to take care of it the way i need. kshs 25k ONO
grolut
#17 Posted : Saturday, May 04, 2019 3:00:49 PM

Phaoro wrote:
GSD are good dogs, I did not know Boerboels were more expensive that GSD's. But one thing is Boerboels have serious intimidating menacing look.

Boerboels are more powerful than GSDs in terms of strength and bite. On average they can grow to weigh more than most adults. It's not a dog you'd want as just a pet, too strong and eats like crazy. If it's a guard dog, sawa but you need to have it properly trained otherwise it can maim or kill your staff, kids or even yourself.
In a place where thought is abandoned, freedom can become a curse.