wazua Mon, Jun 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
Scholarships for poor children -
Ric dees
#1 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2010 11:51:10 AM

@ Mukiha AKA CfC Stanbic

You once touched on a very sensitive subject sometime back and you were to discuss it, though i have tried to dig it up in vain, i have brought the onus to myself and to bring all to perspective, Mukiha seems to hold a view that scholarships do not benefit poor children?? or should not be granted to poor children?
Please expound? clarify, site failed examples vis a vis successful ones??

Ric dees ( former Scholarship recipient)
Ric dees attached the following image(s):
scholarship.jpg (3kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

The greatest danger in times of turbulence is not the turbulence; it is to act with yesterday's logic.
sky5
#2 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2010 12:00:23 PM

Scholarships actually do benefit the poor academically. But they also benefit the not-so-poor very much at the expense of the very poor.

However, whether you succeed or fail- whether rich or poor- after the sponsorship is not the call of the sponsor but the recipient.
Ric dees
#3 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2010 12:08:53 PM

@Sky5
True what you say, but in Principal is it the right call, that's what i'd like clarified.

EM

The greatest danger in times of turbulence is not the turbulence; it is to act with yesterday's logic.
Chaka
#4 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2010 12:54:09 PM

@Ric Dees
Did you mean..Scholarships for children of the poor ?
Ric dees
#5 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2010 1:15:12 PM

@Chaka
I think to make things clearer, let me sight case examples.

A young bright boy hailing from say Majengo, Ziwani performs extremely well in KCSE and is granted a scholarship to study in one of the IVY league schools in the US.
All factors considered, is the right thing for the boy education not withstanding, not forgetting the culture of America.

kyt
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:58:16 PM

ric it is the right thing kabisa even withstanding the culture. heck the dude is bright isnt he?
LOVE WHAT YOU DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE.
chepkel
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:39:08 AM

I hate it when they make qualifications for these sponsorship to be for the ones scoring straight As. Because many poor students learn under soo many difficulties and challenges that they may not achieve these high grades but are still bright. I know a boy who is poor and really would like to go to University, it is really frustrating him. He was out of school half of second term and the whole of third term because he lacked fees and still managed to score a C plus. But he does not qualify for any of the scholarships available or rather the ones that i have seen.
Does anyone know how i can help this boy.
Ric dees
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:27:53 AM

@Chepkel
Some common misunderstanding is that you have to be a straight A student to get into this schools...answer No!!

Applicants can distinguish themselves for admission in a number of ways. Some show unusual academic promise through experience or achievements in study or research. Many are "well rounded" and have contributed in various ways to the lives of their schools or communities. Others are "well lopsided" with demonstrated excellence in a particular endeavor—academic, extracurricular or otherwise. Still others bring perspectives formed by unusual personal circumstances or experiences.

Academic accomplishment in high school is important, but we also seek people with enthusiasm, creativity and strength of character.

Most admitted students rank in the top 10–15 percent of their graduating classes, having taken the most rigorous secondary school curriculum available to them.

This ii a nut-shell is what a top IVY league college in the US looks for.

I still believe is if most of the companies back home adopted similar traits then i think we would see a renaissance and all who trade in shares would laugh all the way to the bank.

I still marvel at the classic job adverts back at home " A degree in Finance with CPA/ACCA, post graduate would be an added advantage,10 years experience, 5 of which should be a senior level in management etc ,etc..Jeezand we still wonder why we have clowns!!!

chepkel
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:57:40 AM

@Ric Dees. He qualifies for admission in the private universities and for a degree in a parallel program. Lakini getting sponsorship is hell. Nevertheless, i have been encouraging him to just apply to any university and once he is admitted he can differ as we look for money to help him. I am sure others have studies in even worse circumstances
leona
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:11:34 AM

@Chepkel
I feel for your boy:(
It's sad,that we live in a society where people are highly judged by their grades and never by their capabilities. It's very hard to source for scholarships for students who dont score straight A's regardless of their situation and talents. I wish you had presented your case to the Sk/Wazua charity club last year when tyhe boy was having difficulty with schools fees,coz maybe we'd have been able to help,and he'd now be in a better position having probably scored better grades..but usijali,you can still keep us updated on his situation and we'll see what we can do as a group or from our sources out there. Dont give up on the boy..there's always hope out there somewhere.
Nevermind what haters say, ignore them til they fade away - Just live your life
chepkel
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:38:45 AM

Asante leona. This boy is hardworking, gentle and really wants to have an education. I am doing my best to help him out and am sure he willsucceed. Will keep you posted. He wants to study law
mukiha
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 11:00:32 AM

@Ric; did you get the scholarship because you were bright or because your parents were poor? That's the point I want us to discuss. How about bright young boys [and girls] from Muthaiga, Karen etc. Don't they deserve scholarships?

Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
Ric dees
#13 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 11:41:08 AM

@Mukiha
My parents were not poor, middle class i'd say and about Brightness well i cannot comment on that, they must have seen something in me.

The bright lads from Karen/Thoome do deserve scholarships? but IMHO they don't bring much to the table, besides above average grades AKA A what else??

See below..

Applicants can distinguish themselves for admission in a number of ways. Some show unusual academic promise through experience or achievements in study or research. Many are "well rounded" and have contributed in various ways to the lives of their schools or communities. Others are "well lopsided" with demonstrated excellence in a particular endeavor—academic, extracurricular or otherwise. Still others bring perspectives formed by unusual personal circumstances or experiences.

mukiha
#14 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 12:40:33 PM

Ric dees wrote:

The bright lads from Karen/Thoome do deserve scholarships? but IMHO they don't bring much to the table, besides above average grades AKA A what else??

That is quite a serious generalisation, don't you think? It implies that you can't get "well-rounded" boys and girls from well-to-do families.

In my view, emphasising on poverty when evaluating scholarship awards sends the wrong message: "You are at an advantage if you are poor"

I would rather emphasise on academic and other unique characteristics of the applicant and only use level of poverty as a tie-breaker.
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
tonicasert
#15 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 1:52:29 PM

I guess the starting point is the objective of the sponsor. Some sponsors give scholarships to the disadvantaged in the soceity - thse are the more common ones to the poor but with academic potential, while other give on merit, regardless of background - not a very gd expample but BBK used to (maybe still do) give high sch and university scholarships to top students of their employees.
Ms Mkenya
#16 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 2:35:20 PM

Ideally, scholarships are meant to help the otherwise bright children who cannot afford what they qualify for.

Something else i wanted to say-we need to start thinking of helping out our very own less fortunate Kenyan children. we dont have to wait for the media to highlight cases. Somehow we get to hear of a child somewhere who can make it if he has a chance to be in school.

I encourage each of you in your spheres of influence to do something for a needy child somewhere. I am involved in a small effort that helps supply pads for children in a school where well, they just missed school when on their periods. I know i should do more..

Lets look out there and see who you can help-consistently.
....above all, to stand.
Ric dees
#17 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 5:01:02 PM

@Mukiha - This is a delicate balancing act and some of the top schools in the west seem to have perfected it.
What you need to understand is this is probably an art rather than a science and the right mix is needed.
Poverty is not a tie breaker but the advantage of having lads from disadvantaged backgrounds is most importantly how they view life and what others can learn from them.What many people may not know a scholarship granted to a kid is not only beneficial to the individual but the most important aspect is what others will learn form the particular individual, its more geared for the team as opposed to the individual.

On my point of individuals from upmarket backgrounds is that quite frankly they do not bring much to the table most can play a musical instrument (anyone can learn), speak 2-3 languages puleez, etc etc but and i reiterate what will your peers learn from you as demonstrated by what life has thrown at you at hence the tendancy to focus on the poor coz boy some have stories..this s what most IVY league schools look for besides the A's.

Example
How many scored A's = Thousands
How many scored A's and were president of debate/science/maths club = same number.
How many scored A'S and played sports for the school team = well the number greatly reduces.
How many scored A'S, played for the school team and volunteered for something = reduces further.

Hope you get my drift here...like i said before it's what your bringing to the table that is worth the scholarship,

mukiha
#18 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 5:10:14 PM

Ric dees wrote:

On my point of individuals from upmarket backgrounds is that quite frankly they do not bring much to the table most can play a musical instrument (anyone can learn), speak 2-3 languages puleez, etc etc but and i reiterate what will your peers learn from you as demonstrated by what life has thrown at you at hence the tendancy to focus on the poor coz boy some have stories..this s what most IVY league schools look for besides the A's.

This is precisely the prejudice against the rich that I am worried about. How can you honestly say that anybody can learn to play a musical instrument? How can you imply that children of the rich do not have leadership skills and other in-born talents?
Ric dees
#19 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 5:58:57 PM

@Mukiha..

Social mobility is a sensitive topic and unfortunately the glass ceiling was raised as opposed to be broken hence your point of view on this subject.This is an ethical topic as well and what you may need to understand is that an applicant's need is key to this.

To help bring things to perspective please try help me answer this two questions below.

1 - List any scholastic distinctions you have won since entering high school and indicate the level of distinction.

2- List any non-scholastic distinctions you have won since entering high school and indicate the level of distinction.

This are real questions asked in a top IVY campus in the US. Now can we imagine how a rich kid v a poor kid would answer the above two questions.
And there would be your tier breaker my friend...

I have not categorically stated children from wealthy backgrounds do not have leadership skills etc. am sure some do .what i have said is they do not bring much.
By virtue of the lifestyle and how they have been brought up, children form the rich (majority) are downright lazy, selfish, most are aloof, always wanting to have their way and tend to struggle to adapt to a society that demands adaptability, change and team work.

I use the above comments with examples in mind of rich kids i schooled with and this was my conclusion.

mukiha
#20 Posted : Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:02:19 PM

Ric dees wrote:

By virtue of the lifestyle and how they have been brought up, children form the rich (majority) are downright lazy, selfish, most are aloof, always wanting to have their way and tend to struggle to adapt to a society that demands adaptability, change and team work.

I use the above comments with examples in mind of rich kids i schooled with and this was my conclusion.

There you go again; generalising what you observed in, may be, two or three kids.

Are you also aware that "children form the POOR (majority) are downright lazy, selfish, most are aloof, always wanting to have their way and tend to struggle to adapt to a society that demands adaptability, change and team work."... to use your own words?