wazua Fri, May 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

47 Pages«<34567>»
Matatu Business
faa
#81 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:45:34 PM

Thanks for sharing.

Quite educative.4k everyday is quite indeed a fair deal compared to the 80k or 90k that sacco like nuclear,4nte i hear pay.
4kX 30 = 120k.

It's true the driver will make or break your business..Does it mean you will collect the money from the driver each day or are you paid monthly by the Sacco?
bird_man
#82 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:47:37 PM

faa wrote:
Prime wrote:
The mat cost me USD 10400 which is 893k. Everything plus clearance should be around 1.55 or just slightly above that. A quick check on the going rates on olx and cheki tells me that I got a fair deal. Similar units are going at 1.8 - 2.3 M, majority being auto transmission.
My initial idea was to get a nissan vanette or mazda bongo from the auctions in Japan but so far I had not been able to get a good grade at a good price. Knowing that time was running out with the end of the year approaching, I saw the shark and decided to go for it. obviously cars will be very expensive during the first quarter of the year.
I intend to have it as a shuttle (Nairobi-Embu) but the cost of joining is 200k. I am still trying to figure a way round that sum. I have about a month and a half to talk to consult though. In the meantime Im looking for someone in the same route who can hold my hand if you know what i mean

thanks.quite interesting, i must say.

I had planned for just 1.5m inclusive of everything.I didn't know that 200k fee to join a sacco.will inquire though.considering the returns are 80-90k per month...and assuming they are constant..within an year and half you should have cleared the loan...and the mat will defintely still be intact.

What about insurance ..did you get a comprehensive one?

@Prime,thanks for embracing the sharing spirit.
@Faa....in the 80-90k per month have you included comprehensive PSV insurance, licenses,Sacco fees,spare parts & service?If not, I think you should include & re-do your math.That will help you see how long it might REALISTICALLY take to pay the loan.
Formally employed people often live their employers' dream & forget about their own.
Rankaz13
#83 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:25:25 PM

Prime wrote:
The mat cost me USD 10400 which is 893k. Everything plus clearance should be around 1.55 or just slightly above that. A quick check on the going rates on olx and cheki tells me that I got a fair deal. Similar units are going at 1.8 - 2.3 M, majority being auto transmission.
My initial idea was to get a nissan vanette or mazda bongo from the auctions in Japan but so far I had not been able to get a good grade at a good price. Knowing that time was running out with the end of the year approaching, I saw the shark and decided to go for it. obviously cars will be very expensive during the first quarter of the year.
I intend to have it as a shuttle (Nairobi-Embu) but the cost of joining is 200k. I am still trying to figure a way round that sum. I have about a month and a half to talk to consult though. In the meantime Im looking for someone in the same route who can hold my hand if you know what i mean

Well, what do you know? That's my route smile . Welcome and feel free to contact me if you wanna compare notes mblo. Lakini masiibe derefa wangu tafadharesmile
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
jerry
#84 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2013 9:33:24 AM

@Rankaz13. I feel you on driver stealing! Kindly share with us the avg fuel consumption for manual/auto diesel vans(Nissans). It's the no. 1 running cost and I guess your driver is good for not cheating in this respect .
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
Rankaz13
#85 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2013 11:17:13 AM

jerry wrote:
@Rankaz13. I feel you on driver stealing! Kindly share with us the avg fuel consumption for manual/auto diesel vans(Nissans). It's the no. 1 running cost and I guess your driver is good for not cheating in this respect .

True, fuel is the no.1 major expense. On average, a manual 3l shark consumes about Ksh.4300-4600 worth of diesel per 334-352km. An auto shark, same engine size has more or less similar figures, only marginally higher, by about 200-500 bob for same distances. For a manual petrol Toyota liteace, 1800cc 7k engine, the figures on average are about 5000-5500 for same distance. For a manual diesel Toyota liteace, that figure is less by about 800-1000 shillings. I do not have figures for Nissan Urvan/Caravan though, we do not use them for long distance travel. Recently, the Nissan Vannette/Mazda Bongo has appeared on the scene too but I haven't researched on it. Hope that helps a bit.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Prime
#86 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2013 12:18:29 PM

rankaz13... hebu leta e-mail through wazuaprime@gmail.com... i will tafuta you
SittingPretty
#87 Posted : Monday, December 02, 2013 5:29:45 PM

kimiri wrote:
tom_boy wrote:
kimiri wrote:
mawinder wrote:
kimiri wrote:
@groupielove. Recently aquired a 33 seater. It took long for the body to be biult but it is doing great.

How is the business so far?I understand the take home for 33 seater matatus is 12k a day.

@mawinder. I can not complain. I acquired another unit two weeks ago. It is giving a net of 8-10K daily.

@Kimiri, do you have details on how the minibus sacco operates. Do they manage the car in terms of provide driver and conductor? How much can one expect from a sacco for a 33 seater? What is the experience of being in one?

@Tom_boy. Please note that nowadays you cannot be issued with a TLB license if you are not a member of a SACCO. There are a number of SACCO’s that will manage the vehicle for you but these are few. An example is Route 105 shuttle, although I am not sure they still do it. They also used to provide drivers and conductors. Net return from a 33 seater under such an arrangement used to be about 8K/daily. If you need more information, please let us do this on email. cheers

I thought nowadays they are only licensing larger capacity seaters to operate as matatus!!!??
Timely advice is as lovely as golden apples in a silver basket. Proverbs 25:11
Prime
#88 Posted : Thursday, December 05, 2013 3:20:08 PM

let me post the photos and the associated costs a little later. Will post photos of the whole process till its on the road.

mawinder
#89 Posted : Thursday, December 05, 2013 6:28:47 PM

Rankaz13 wrote:
jerry wrote:

True, fuel is the no.1 major expense. On average, a manual 3l shark consumes about Ksh.4300-4600 worth of diesel per 334-352km. An auto shark, same engine size has more or less similar figures, only marginally higher, by about 200-500 bob for same distances. For a manual petrol Toyota liteace, 1800cc 7k engine, the figures on average are about 5000-5500 for same distance. For a manual diesel Toyota liteace, that figure is less by about 800-1000 shillings. I do not have figures for Nissan Urvan/Caravan though, we do not use them for long distance travel. Recently, the Nissan Vannette/Mazda Bongo has appeared on the scene too but I haven't researched on it. Hope that helps a bit.

@Rankaz,what about the newshape Turbocharged sharks commonly known as Box?What route do your matatus ply and what are the typical returns for 14 seater matatu?
matatuman
#90 Posted : Thursday, December 05, 2013 9:25:25 PM

@Mawinder. The turbo charged box (KDH200) consumes less than the 5L engines. It is however tricky since the drivers we employ dont know how to handle turbo charged engines and has known fuel injector issues. The petrol version (TRH200) consumes same fuel as existing 5L diesel engines.
jerry
#91 Posted : Thursday, December 05, 2013 11:54:20 PM

matatuman wrote:
@Mawinder. The turbo charged box (KDH200) consumes less than the 5L engines. It is however tricky since the drivers we employ dont know how to handle turbo charged engines and has known fuel injector issues. The petrol version (TRH200) consumes same fuel as existing 5L diesel engines.

Good/useful info @matatuman. What about the 3000cc diesel turbo compared to 5L?
matatuman
#92 Posted : Friday, December 06, 2013 11:36:27 AM

@Jerry I haven't owned the 3000CC engine. That box however has the 1KD-FTV engine which is more thirsty and less powerful than the 2500CC 2KD-FTV engine. If you choose diesel i would suggest you go with the 2500CC. The engine has more power than you will ever need. Personally i am replacing my 5Ls with the 2000cc petrol box (TRH200).

Quick question for those who have imported lately (Prime...) With the new rules barring individuals from operating. Who do you specify as the consignee on the bill of lading when importing the vehicle? Is it you or your Sacco/company? Also is there a deadline for registering the 14 seaters or will it still happen next year?
jerry
#93 Posted : Friday, December 06, 2013 2:15:17 PM

matatuman wrote:
@Jerry I haven't owned the 3000CC engine. That box however has the 1KD-FTV engine which is more thirsty and less powerful than the 2500CC 2KD-FTV engine. If you choose diesel i would suggest you go with the 2500CC. The engine has more power than you will ever need. Personally i am replacing my 5Ls with the 2000cc petrol box (TRH200).

Quick question for those who have imported lately (Prime...) With the new rules barring individuals from operating. Who do you specify as the consignee on the bill of lading when importing the vehicle? Is it you or your Sacco/company? Also is there a deadline for registering the 14 seaters or will it still happen next year?

Thanks @matatuman. Good concerns too. I believe the SHARKS will continue being registered come next year. I urgently need an ans to issue of consignee as I have just won a unit in Japan Auction today!
Rankaz13
#94 Posted : Friday, December 06, 2013 10:54:12 PM

mawinder wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:
jerry wrote:

@Rankaz,what about the newshape Turbocharged sharks commonly known as Box?What route do your matatus ply and what are the typical returns for 14 seater matatu?

I am on Meru-Runyenje's-Ishiara-Embu-Nbi route, 11-seater shuttle, not 14 seater. Average income fluctuates widely, from 3000-8500 per day, works out to about 65k-100k nett monthly. I do not have comparative figures for 14-seater but I surmise it must be higher coz of the flexibility in terms of operation. In my fleet is a kawaida 3L (LH172 model) engine as well as a 1KZ-TE 3000cc turbo (KZH110 model) engine, the latter being my favorite.smile
Rankaz13
#95 Posted : Friday, December 06, 2013 10:58:25 PM

matatuman wrote:

Trick numero uno: Usipatie dereva yeyote hiyo gari kabla uweke turbo timer. It costs only about 6-7k and you'll be grateful you did.
kaifastus
#96 Posted : Friday, December 06, 2013 11:45:41 PM

From these discussions one gets the impression that ROI in matatu industry is quite good even compared to real estate. I have just completed the ground floor of 7 self contained units in nakuru at prime area(eastmore estate. total cost 4.1m. I haven't factored the cost of land. monthly net returns after removing 7% agent fee is 48,500pm. investment in matatu less than 2m.return 68-100k net! wth! what's this hype about real estate really.
Rankaz13
#97 Posted : Friday, December 06, 2013 11:53:40 PM

kaifastus wrote:
From these discussions one gets the impression that ROI in matatu industry is quite good even compared to real estate. I have just completed the ground floor of 7 self contained units in nakuru at prime area(eastmore estate. total cost 4.1m. I haven't factored the cost of land. monthly net returns after removing 7% agent fee is 48,500pm. investment in matatu less than 2m.return 68-100k net! wth! what's this hype about real estate really.

I'd say it's just a different line of business, not better or worse, just different. You see, with housing, short of an earthquake, you are unlikely to lose your house. On the other hand, kwa magari, all it takes is one careless driver (even when you yourself are careful and observe the law) for you to experience some serious losses. Not forgetting the incessant harassment from law enforcers which is a major headache along with employee pilferage.
tmatekwa
#98 Posted : Saturday, December 07, 2013 7:46:29 AM

I incurred heavy loss from careless drivers, extortionist law enforcers, thieving crews, and incompetent mechanics.

This is a business where the owner pays himself last.

I cashed out, invested in land and have watched my wealth grow without sweating
bird_man
#99 Posted : Saturday, December 07, 2013 8:53:11 AM

kaifastus wrote:

I HUMBLY think we are not doing proper calculations here & we could be making misleading statements.

For Real Estate for the net of 48,500pm you could deduct:
1.Land rates
2.Annual repairs

For matatu 68-100K net....we deducted the following:
1.Annual Insurance
2.Service costs & parts
3.PSV Licenses
4.Sacco fees

....then we can see what profit is actually left.We could be confusing profit with cash-flow.You might make some 50K per month but by the time you get home you have 5K in your pocket.
Formally employed people often live their employers' dream & forget about their own.
Prime
#100 Posted : Saturday, December 07, 2013 11:14:43 AM

[quote=Prime]let me post the photos and the associated costs a little later. Will post photos of the whole process till its on the road.