Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

47 Pages«<3940414243>»
Matatu Business
matatuman
#801 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 11:13:18 AM

jerry wrote:
Winwin wrote:
Hello all,
Been in the biz for four months now. Except for the kidogo cop hustles, nothing much to complain, though the av. on our route is not as good as elsewhere.
Now, if I were to get another unit, would I save a bit if I go to CFG as opposed to KCI who made my first one? And by how much for those who have experience?
Another question, some crew from my route say that the smaller Nissans are doing well, at half the income of the bus but at a third of the cost. Older operating Nissans appear costly, yet newer ones especially petrol engines can be found at 1.2 m.
Wazuans in the hustle, would I be in order to consider the petrol engine (2000) and what are the draw backs?

Waiting for the answer to the last questio i.e. suitability of 2000cc "BOX" as a matatu. There is a Star Times KCB going for 1.3M.

Thought he asked about 2000cc Nissan not "box". Ama any van is a Nissan? :)
tnai9
#802 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 11:41:42 AM

We are finalizing the registration of the matatu(KCI) and underestimated some charges, hustling to raise 300K to get started. On the bit of insurance, the financier wants us to do comprehensive. The total premium is about 450K. Another broker advised me we can do asset insurance for the mat + third party separately and this will save us up to 100K instead of just doing comprehensive in itself. Wazuans with matatus, how have you handled this?
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ― Charles Bukowski
kimiri
#803 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 12:38:23 PM

tnai9 wrote:
We are finalizing the registration of the matatu(KCI) and underestimated some charges, hustling to raise 300K to get started. On the bit of insurance, the financier wants us to do comprehensive. The total premium is about 450K. Another broker advised me we can do asset insurance for the mat + third party separately and this will save us up to 100K instead of just doing comprehensive in itself. Wazuans with matatus, how have you handled this?

Hey tnai9. Congrats. For a vehicle I recently bought (financed by Equity) I went for the 2nd option and the bank had no problem with this.
Are you paying cash for the insurance? This is because you can have the bank that is financing you also finance the payment for the insurance.
Jon Jones
#804 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 2:25:20 PM

Why wont anyone give rough figures of daily returns of a petrol "box" and a diesel "box" on the same route? I need to know whether the over half a million price difference is worth it and make a good decision.
Since men have learned to shoot without missing, I have learned to fly without perching
subaru
#805 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 3:11:16 PM

tnai9 wrote:

How long has it taken for building the body
Impunity
#806 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 3:25:18 PM

Jon Jones wrote:
Why wont anyone give rough figures of daily returns of a petrol "box" and a diesel "box" on the same route? I need to know whether the over half a million price difference is worth it and make a good decision.

Petrol box will definitley give a better returns on long distance journies...Nairobi-Kakamega etc...for town service, ndisel will be advisable.

Although there are reported risk of attendnat jazaing diesel fuel in the petrol tanks of those petrol boxes...ruining the journey plus the engine...

Please lock the cap with a tiny padlock and always have the driver get out and mention 3 times to the attendant that ngata ni PETROL...there is a default assumption from attendnat that all mat3 nissans are diesels!

Well on a good day, the Naicity box should be able to give you Kes.3,000 net.(Police harrasment can wipe this the following morning)

A full round trip from Nai to KK will give you Kes. 5,000...on a abd day expect 3,000.

Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

tnai9
#807 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 4:02:41 PM

subaru wrote:

6 weeks to complete everything. But the time we were placing the order there weren't many mats. But we were trying to get a nganya and the total cost has shot up seriously..Total cost(including bank charges etc) hitting 5.6m. Had targeted 5.3. A few closure costs will chew another like 120k. I see it hitting 5.75
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ― Charles Bukowski
Jon Jones
#808 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2016 2:44:08 AM

Impunity wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:

Petrol box will definitley give a better returns on long distance journies...Nairobi-Kakamega etc...for town service, ndisel will be advisable.

Although there are reported risk of attendnat jazaing diesel fuel in the petrol tanks of those petrol boxes...ruining the journey plus the engine...

Please lock the cap with a tiny padlock and always have the driver get out and mention 3 times to the attendant that ngata ni PETROL...there is a default assumption from attendnat that all mat3 nissans are diesels!

Well on a good day, the Naicity box should be able to give you Kes.3,000 net.(Police harrasment can wipe this the following morning)

A full round trip from Nai to KK will give you Kes. 5,000...on a abd day expect 3,000.

Assuming one has a brand new vehicle, HiAce Box PETROL automatic...can I be assured of 80k per month profit net of everything (26 days work)? This is the most important question.
Since men have learned to shoot without missing, I have learned to fly without perching
subaru
#809 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2016 10:04:38 AM

Jon Jones wrote:
Impunity wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:

Assuming one has a brand new vehicle, HiAce Box PETROL automatic...can I be assured of 80k per month profit net of everything (26 days work)? This is the most important question.

just go diesel some times job huwa ngumu and inabidi mlengo petrol utaumia diesel will leave you with something
matatuman
#810 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2016 10:27:21 AM

subaru wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:
Impunity wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:

just go diesel some times job huwa ngumu and inabidi mlengo petrol utaumia diesel will leave you with something

@ Jon Jones: It is irritating when someone asks a question that has previously been tackled on this thread. That probably explains why you do not seem to be getting answers. Is it so hard to just read?

I have a question for you. I intend to start a cafeteria in Isiolo. Can I be assured of 50k net profit per month?
jerry
#811 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2016 10:07:10 AM

I urgently need a "nose cut with" doors for a 2KD. Kindly advise.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
junior121121
#812 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2016 8:09:42 PM

Jon Jones wrote:

Flick back to previous comments on this thread. This has been answered by a few owners. Good luck.
junior121121
#813 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2016 8:15:24 PM

tnai9 wrote:

Applause Applause Applause Applause Good stuff tnai9 - that's the spirit and karibu to the club.

I know someone who has done asset insurance + third party with NIC being the financier and saved quite a bit (Almost 130k). NIC seemed to be ok with it. You can also pay the third party monthly

Have you budgeted advance tax/TLB/ CC etc?

Wish you all the best on the venture and keep us posted how you go. Never had an issue with a KCI vehicle and ensure you return for first service (Somehow they always forget to mention its freesmile )
junior121121
#814 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2016 8:19:23 PM

tnai9 wrote:
subaru wrote:

6 weeks to complete everything. But the time we were placing the order there weren't many mats. But we were trying to get a nganya and the total cost has shot up seriously..Total cost(including bank charges etc) hitting 5.6m. Had targeted 5.3. A few closure costs will chew another like 120k. I see it hitting 5.75

tnai9 - that is high

How much was chasis + body from KCI?
tnai9
#815 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2016 9:59:02 AM

junior121121 wrote:

tnai9 - that is high

@junior121121
I mixed up my figures a bit, looked through again and so far the total cost is 5.45, need 150k more to get started.
Body and Chasis from KCI ~4.9, bank charges(Faulu)220K, rest for kurembesha(Music, TV, bodywork) and govt requirements. Done with advance tax. Remaining insurance installments and Music copyrights, battery(the Music guy advised us to replace the smaller batteries with that for 45K ) tracking etc. Hope to be done in one week.
Being the 1st mat, there has been a lot of learning. Next mat we now know what to do...
subaru
#816 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2016 10:59:03 AM

tnai9 wrote:
junior121121 wrote:

tnai9 - that is high

@junior121121
I mixed up my figures a bit, looked through again and so far the total cost is 5.45, need 150k more to get started.
Body and Chasis from KCI ~4.9, bank charges(Faulu)220K, rest for kurembesha(Music, TV, bodywork) and govt requirements. Done with advance tax. Remaining insurance installments and Music copyrights, battery(the Music guy advised us to replace the smaller batteries with that for 45K ) tracking etc. Hope to be done in one week.
Being the 1st mat, there has been a lot of learning. Next mat we now know what to do...

btw you had me startled about the price batt kubwa lazima all the best in your venture
tnai9
#817 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2016 11:09:59 AM

subaru wrote:

btw you had me startled about the price batt kubwa lazima all the best in your venture

@Subaru, those are the exact figures.
--4900k = our contribution + financing
--220k = Bank charges(I feel they are exorbitant)(ourselves)
--500k = Others(nganya stories, mandatory req -tax, insp, TLB, insurance instal etc)(ourselves)

Anybody with figures for bank charges from NIC?

KCI body and GM chassis Isuzu was going for 5.1M two weeks after our order, not sure the price now.

junior121121
#818 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2016 7:50:35 PM

tnai9 wrote:
subaru wrote:

@Subaru, those are the exact figures.
--4900k = our contribution + financing
--220k = Bank charges(I feel they are exorbitant)(ourselves)
--500k = Others(nganya stories, mandatory req -tax, insp, TLB, insurance instal etc)(ourselves)

Anybody with figures for bank charges from NIC?

KCI body and GM chassis Isuzu was going for 5.1M two weeks after our order, not sure the price now.

tnai9 - next time inbox me prior to buying chassis might be able to save you a bob or two. Complete on road i am getting for quite a bit less

Regarding batteries for sounds - 45k is too high. Replace the two old ones with 2*KV - 1400 batteries which wholesale for 14k each. These are the non maintenance ones. If you have screens on each seat then you will need maybe 1800. Buy direct in industrial area (i bought two about three weeks back)- i have 4 nganyas and never had an issue with this. Alternatively - kimbiza the regular ones for two weeks and let the car pay for the new batteries

Also - and i mean this - ensure you remove the tyre and jack as soon as the car leaves KCI (Unless its a long distance moti). Keep these at home.

I might be advising on stuff you know but just giving a heads up where i have been burnt before. Have you decided on route?
Winwin
#819 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2016 10:12:05 PM

@ junior, I am planning for a second one in 3 months that's why I was requesting for pricing difference in this thread. I we still prefer KCI but if it saves a bit elsewhere why not? I paid 4.8 last year and about 0.5 for accessories including art work, interior, music, screen etc. Wd I be too way off to budget the same 5.3?
kanyimwa
#820 Posted : Saturday, May 07, 2016 7:39:46 PM

Winwin wrote:
@ junior, I am planning for a second one in 3 months that's why I was requesting for pricing difference in this thread. I we still prefer KCI but if it saves a bit elsewhere why not? I paid 4.8 last year and about 0.5 for accessories including art work, interior, music, screen etc. Wd I be too way off to budget the same 5.3?

5.3M is a good estimate for a basic bus with normal accesories and papers