Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

47 Pages«<23456>»
Matatu Business
tom_boy
#61 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:22:24 PM

kimiri wrote:
mawinder wrote:
kimiri wrote:
@groupielove. Recently aquired a 33 seater. It took long for the body to be biult but it is doing great.

How is the business so far?I understand the take home for 33 seater matatus is 12k a day.

@mawinder. I can not complain. I acquired another unit two weeks ago. It is giving a net of 8-10K daily.

They must find it difficult....... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority. -G. Massey.
tom_boy
#62 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:09:22 PM

kimiri wrote:
mawinder wrote:
kimiri wrote:
@groupielove. Recently aquired a 33 seater. It took long for the body to be biult but it is doing great.

How is the business so far?I understand the take home for 33 seater matatus is 12k a day.

@mawinder. I can not complain. I acquired another unit two weeks ago. It is giving a net of 8-10K daily.

@Kimiri, do you have details on how the minibus sacco operates. Do they manage the car in terms of provide driver and conductor? How much can one expect from a sacco for a 33 seater? What is the experience of being in one?
They must find it difficult....... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority. -G. Massey.
Chaka
#63 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:37:49 PM

@kimiri,
What is the make of the mat...Isuzu,Nissan Diesel,Hino,Mitsubishi?
What was the total cost plus body building?What of comprehensive insurance cover?
What route does it operate?
How many stickers do need to operate i.e Insurance,TLB,Kanjo,Inspection etc..
kimiri
#64 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:05:03 PM

tom_boy wrote:
kimiri wrote:
mawinder wrote:
kimiri wrote:

@Kimiri, do you have details on how the minibus sacco operates. Do they manage the car in terms of provide driver and conductor? How much can one expect from a sacco for a 33 seater? What is the experience of being in one?

@Tom_boy. Please note that nowadays you cannot be issued with a TLB license if you are not a member of a SACCO. There are a number of SACCO’s that will manage the vehicle for you but these are few. An example is Route 105 shuttle, although I am not sure they still do it. They also used to provide drivers and conductors. Net return from a 33 seater under such an arrangement used to be about 8K/daily. If you need more information, please let us do this on email. cheers
faa
#65 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:13:19 PM

Would also like to invest in this business.

Whats the total cost(inclusive of taxes) of a 33 or 29 mini bus like the ones i see in route 105 or star bus?"
kimiri
#66 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:35:24 PM

@Chaka and @Faa. It is Isuzu NPR. Total cost is 4M. This includes chassis, body building, registration, inspection. TLB and parking you pay yourself. NB: If you are financed by a bank, they will insist that you insure comprehensively. For the first year, the insurance cost is about 400K. Most banks will finance you to buy the insurance on condition that you make a down payment of 100K.
Ali Baba
#67 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:47:44 PM

Hooray! See the jam at Equity counter? That's me selling.I got in at 16.00 in 2011.Now Im buying a ma3....
kaka2za
#68 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:57:23 PM

@ Kimiri so ROI period is at least 2 years or I got the maths wrong?
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
kimiri
#69 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2013 3:48:02 PM

kaka2za wrote:

@Kaka2.I am not quite sure I understand what you mean by ROI. But if you mean repayment period for the bank loan, it can be up to 3yrs. However it is advisable to repay the loan as fast as possible. Note that for a new vehicle, you get a warranty for the first 100,000Km or 1 year (whichever comes first) in case of break downs. It is advisable to repay the bulk of the loan if not all during this period.
kaka2za
#70 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:51:00 PM

@Kimiri Thanx for info. Actually meant Return on Investment. Wld appreciate advise on loan financing if u cud drop me mail kaka2za at yahoo dot co dot uk.
(James Russell Rowell)
jerry
#71 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:52:25 PM

kimiri wrote:
kaka2za wrote:

@Kaka2.I am not quite sure I understand what you mean by ROI. But if you mean repayment period for the bank loan, it can be up to 3yrs. However it is advisable to repay the loan as fast as possible. Note that for a new vehicle, you get a warranty for the first 100,000Km or 1 year (whichever comes first) in case of break downs. It is advisable to repay the bulk of the loan if not all during this period.

@Kaka2za ROI defination: ROI = [(Payback - Investment)/Investment)]*100
Your payback is actually the total amount of money earned from your investment in your company. Investment relates to the amount of resources put into generating the given payback.

You should run ROI calculations on both monthly and yearly timelines.
More here http://www.captureplanning.com/articles/79375.cfm
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
tom_boy
#72 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:13:09 PM

@ Kimiri, tafadhali tuongee tomboy20atrocketmail.com
kaka2za
#73 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:24:18 PM

@jerry. Thanks! ROI sounds easy but far from easy.
(James Russell Rowell)
Rankaz13
#74 Posted : Tuesday, October 08, 2013 9:49:02 PM

So, while I was away, the CS transport introduced new rules which, among other things, will bar individual ownership of matatus, instead preferring companies with at least 30 vehicles. How now?Sad Sad
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Prime
#75 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2013 12:00:55 PM

I have decided to Buy a mat. A 2006 Manual 2.5L shark. it was not my intention to get into the biashara but circumstances have forced me to dive into the murky waters... Will post my experiences. Vehicle expected in mid dec or thereabout
faa
#76 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2013 12:08:46 PM

Prime wrote:
I have decided to Buy a mat. A 2006 Manual 2.5L shark. it was not my intention to get into the biashara but circumstances have forced me to dive into the murky waters... Will post my experiences. Vehicle expected in mid dec or thereabout

Not a bad idea at all.

I also intend to purchase a mat and put it in a sacco,maybe 4NTE,North Rift e.t.c..

How much is the mat?

Prime
#77 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:28:36 PM

The mat cost me USD 10400 which is 893k. Everything plus clearance should be around 1.55 or just slightly above that. A quick check on the going rates on olx and cheki tells me that I got a fair deal. Similar units are going at 1.8 - 2.3 M, majority being auto transmission.
My initial idea was to get a nissan vanette or mazda bongo from the auctions in Japan but so far I had not been able to get a good grade at a good price. Knowing that time was running out with the end of the year approaching, I saw the shark and decided to go for it. obviously cars will be very expensive during the first quarter of the year.
I intend to have it as a shuttle (Nairobi-Embu) but the cost of joining is 200k. I am still trying to figure a way round that sum. I have about a month and a half to talk to consult though. In the meantime Im looking for someone in the same route who can hold my hand if you know what i mean
faa
#78 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:02:11 PM

Prime wrote:
The mat cost me USD 10400 which is 893k. Everything plus clearance should be around 1.55 or just slightly above that. A quick check on the going rates on olx and cheki tells me that I got a fair deal. Similar units are going at 1.8 - 2.3 M, majority being auto transmission.
My initial idea was to get a nissan vanette or mazda bongo from the auctions in Japan but so far I had not been able to get a good grade at a good price. Knowing that time was running out with the end of the year approaching, I saw the shark and decided to go for it. obviously cars will be very expensive during the first quarter of the year.
I intend to have it as a shuttle (Nairobi-Embu) but the cost of joining is 200k. I am still trying to figure a way round that sum. I have about a month and a half to talk to consult though. In the meantime Im looking for someone in the same route who can hold my hand if you know what i mean

thanks.quite interesting, i must say.

I had planned for just 1.5m inclusive of everything.I didn't know that 200k fee to join a sacco.will inquire though.considering the returns are 80-90k per month...and assuming they are constant..within an year and half you should have cleared the loan...and the mat will defintely still be intact.

What about insurance ..did you get a comprehensive one?

kaka2za
#79 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:21:57 PM

Some of the Shuttle services are run by cartels.Avoid North Rift which you pay 300K to the proprietor of the trade name and his 60 vehicles has priority over the others.Yako itapark siku mbili,zake zinabeba tu.
(James Russell Rowell)
Prime
#80 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:31:13 PM

faa wrote:
Prime wrote:

thanks.quite interesting, i must say.

I had planned for just 1.5m inclusive of everything.I didn't know that 200k fee to join a sacco.will inquire though.considering the returns are 80-90k per month...and assuming they are constant..within an year and half you should have cleared the loan...and the mat will defintely still be intact.

What about insurance ..did you get a comprehensive one?

The joining fee really differs. Unique shuttles (Nairobi-Meru) is 100k. However, the rule used to be that you cannot own a shuttle if you dont have a kawaida mat on the same. Someone has however told me that it no longer is the case. If its a normal mat on Embu- Nairobi route then you may pay sth small to join the sacco or a small fee to carry from their shimo. Of course it is a better option but chances of enriching the driver/Conductor at your expense are equally high. I have a full time job so I dont want a headache. The reason for pursuing the Embu route is that I work in Embu but my family is in Nai so im on the road every weekend. I am getting a loan 0f 1.2M but from our chama. Interest rate is 10% per annum. Its a chama of 6 guys. I am able to keep aside 50k from my salo from jan next year. My gameplan is to finish paying the loan within one year, and Take another loan of around 2.5 to put up the ground floor for some bed-sitters. It a risk but I think im upto the challenge. The guys who charge the travellers at the stage tell me the shuttles do at least 2 trips every day. 4k everyday is the figure im working with. 350bob X 11passengers X 2 trips. May be lower of course. I will however post the progress report on this same thread. Plus the photos. Everyone tells me the driver will make me or break me. So in that regard im planning on poaching one from the kawaida mats. One who has stayed with the mat for long, and it is in great shape and drives well. In the spirit of wazua I will post my findings