Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

47 Pages«<2627282930>»
Matatu Business
Kipkorir
#541 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2015 1:52:32 PM

Rankaz13 wrote:
tobiasbolo wrote:
HI WAZUANS
I HAVE BEEN READING THIS POST SINCE 2010 WHEN IT WAS FIRST POSTED.I HAVE ALWAYS HAD INTEREST IN OWNING A MATATU BUT DUE TO MANY REASONS IT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.
FINALLY I IMPORTATED NISSAN CARAVAN 2007 AUTO FROM JAPAN AND JUST FIXED THE SEATS.
BY DAY I LEARN THERE ARE SO MUCH INVOLVED BY I DONT MIND TAKING TIME TO MEET THE DEMANDS, I HAVE A JOB THERE IS NOT SO MUCH PRESSURE TO PAY BACK THE CAR.

I AM INTERESTED IN TAKING IT TO KISUMU ROUTE, TOWN SERVICE, THE ROAD IS GOOD AND SHORTER DISTANCE COMPARED TO NAIROBI OR KISUMU TO LONGER DISTANCE LIKE KURIA/BUSIA OR KAKAMEGA... BUT TOWN SERIVICE IS MY INTEREST.

I ALSO WANT TO QUIT JOB TO MANAGE IT AND SEE IT GROW BIG, BEING EMPLOYED NI KAZI NGUMU.

ANY ADVICE FROM YOU GREAT PEOPLE.

It's bad manners to shout when we are within earshot buana!smile smile

@tobiasbolo keep your job first till your matatu business stabilizes. The first 6 months in this business burns your fingers and if you don't have fall back you will sink into depression.
pkn
matatuman
#542 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2015 8:53:14 PM

Kipkorir wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:
tobiasbolo wrote:
HI WAZUANS
I HAVE BEEN READING THIS POST SINCE 2010 WHEN IT WAS FIRST POSTED.I HAVE ALWAYS HAD INTEREST IN OWNING A MATATU BUT DUE TO MANY REASONS IT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.
FINALLY I IMPORTATED NISSAN CARAVAN 2007 AUTO FROM JAPAN AND JUST FIXED THE SEATS.
BY DAY I LEARN THERE ARE SO MUCH INVOLVED BY I DONT MIND TAKING TIME TO MEET THE DEMANDS, I HAVE A JOB THERE IS NOT SO MUCH PRESSURE TO PAY BACK THE CAR.

I AM INTERESTED IN TAKING IT TO KISUMU ROUTE, TOWN SERVICE, THE ROAD IS GOOD AND SHORTER DISTANCE COMPARED TO NAIROBI OR KISUMU TO LONGER DISTANCE LIKE KURIA/BUSIA OR KAKAMEGA... BUT TOWN SERIVICE IS MY INTEREST.

I ALSO WANT TO QUIT JOB TO MANAGE IT AND SEE IT GROW BIG, BEING EMPLOYED NI KAZI NGUMU.

ANY ADVICE FROM YOU GREAT PEOPLE.

It's bad manners to shout when we are within earshot buana!smile smile

@tobiasbolo keep your job first till your matatu business stabilizes. The first 6 months in this business burns your fingers and if you don't have fall back you will sink into depression.

Sounds like you either started out with an old/third hand car or you assumed your crew were grown ups and gave them too much leeway.
Rankaz13
#543 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2015 8:59:23 PM

Kipkorir wrote:
Good afternoon my friends. Kindly help me on how I can get a genuine starter for Toyota shark 5l. Rankaz, matatuman etc kindly sort me out.

thank you

First port of call: Shamas (020-558517), Baricho road. Also check the shops on Dar-es-Salaam road e.g. Saitama autospares (0722-974542), Mamba autoparts (0722-117 041), General Japanese, etc. Not sure of the prevailing prices.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
matatuman
#544 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2015 9:00:37 PM

Kipkorir wrote:
Good afternoon my friends. Kindly help me on how I can get a genuine starter for Toyota shark 5l. Rankaz, matatuman etc kindly sort me out.

thank you

Never bought a starter but I get most of my parts from Interoc auto spares on kirinyaga road.
matatuman
#545 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2015 9:08:32 PM

What's with NTSA revoking almost all speed limiters and demanding recertification and inspection within 90 days? PHS are conspicuously missing from the list.
Rankaz13
#546 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2015 9:21:16 PM

matatuman wrote:
What's with NTSA revoking almost all speed limiters and demanding recertification and inspection within 90 days? PHS are conspicuously missing from the list.

Saw that too. I installed PHS myself and haven't had problems with it. During our recent shenanigans with NTSA, most of those brands mentioned there had a variety of issues ranging from incompatibility with NTSA's equipment (apparently all governors were/are supposed to be universally compatible with NTSA equipment and the dealers themselves agreed to this), faulty/absent recorders, etc.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
matatuman
#547 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2015 9:50:40 PM

Rankaz13 wrote:
matatuman wrote:

Saw that too. I installed PHS myself and haven't had problems with it. During our recent shenanigans with NTSA, most of those brands mentioned there had a variety of issues ranging from incompatibility with NTSA's equipment (apparently all governors were/are supposed to be universally compatible with NTSA equipment and the dealers themselves agreed to this), faulty/absent recorders, etc.

Had a PHS unit which failed after approximately one month. Have not had issues with Saferider SRG 1.1 and Trident. I guess its either luck or someone at PHS knows people in high places.
Prime
#548 Posted : Saturday, January 31, 2015 9:04:52 AM

matatuman wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:
matatuman wrote:

Had a PHS unit which failed after approximately one month. Have not had issues with Saferider SRG 1.1 and Trident. I guess its either luck or someone at PHS knows people in high places.

Hi Matatuman,
I highly suspect that the notice emanates from the recent re-inspection of NENO vehicles that had been suspended. It must have been a reasonably good sample of what is in the market considering over 400 vehicles were inspected. My observations from the field. ALL PHS speed governed cars were able to pass the inspection save for those that had speeding issues. Quite a number, including mine had a problem with the date reading as the year 2000, which was quickly rectified by re-programming. My second vehicle had a MOCK (Its motherboards clearly are witten EKAS) speed governor/recorder. Amazingly, it was inspected 4 times and failed 3. The governor works perfectly well, had no records of speeding but the NTSA guys gadgets could not access the recorder bit. Yet the vendors could see all the data using their laptops. Amazingly, ALL MOCK recorders except one failed. The data was not retrievable even in the presence of the installers. We ALL ended up borrowing the recorder of the one vehicle that passed and had the memory cards from our faulty recorders inserted into the new recorder and they were able to download the data.They later on changed the recorders but we honestly cannot tell whether they are downloadable, despite the fact that they are working on the road perfectly.
I must say, sadly, that almost ALL PGL governors/Recorders failed miserably. They were the majority of the vehicles inspected. probably more than a third of the NENO fleet were fitted with PGL governors. Correction of the same took almost 4 days. You would think the inspection centre had been moved to the EMBU stadium where they were being sorted out.
Prime
#549 Posted : Saturday, January 31, 2015 9:09:51 AM

While still at it, Does it not make better sense to spread ones vehicles into 2 or so saccos? An event like what befell NENO sacco where one crazy driver almost cost us 3 weeks out in the cold can fall on any other sacco. it is indeed painful because apart from the loss of income, there was also a major cost in compliance whereby we were all forced to put one tracking device at a cost of 24k whereas the industry standard was 12-15k. That is despite the fact that Majority had already fitted with other companies.
matatuman
#550 Posted : Saturday, January 31, 2015 11:17:06 AM

Prime wrote:
While still at it, Does it not make better sense to spread ones vehicles into 2 or so saccos? An event like what befell NENO sacco where one crazy driver almost cost us 3 weeks out in the cold can fall on any other sacco. it is indeed painful because apart from the loss of income, there was also a major cost in compliance whereby we were all forced to put one tracking device at a cost of 24k whereas the industry standard was 12-15k. That is despite the fact that Majority had already fitted with other companies.

I think it makes sense coz the risk is spread but there are other factors to consider. Like mode of operation.
matatuman
#551 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2015 10:25:29 PM

Prime wrote:
matatuman wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:
matatuman wrote:

Hi Matatuman,
I highly suspect that the notice emanates from the recent re-inspection of NENO vehicles that had been suspended. It must have been a reasonably good sample of what is in the market considering over 400 vehicles were inspected. My observations from the field. ALL PHS speed governed cars were able to pass the inspection save for those that had speeding issues. Quite a number, including mine had a problem with the date reading as the year 2000, which was quickly rectified by re-programming. My second vehicle had a MOCK (Its motherboards clearly are witten EKAS) speed governor/recorder. Amazingly, it was inspected 4 times and failed 3. The governor works perfectly well, had no records of speeding but the NTSA guys gadgets could not access the recorder bit. Yet the vendors could see all the data using their laptops. Amazingly, ALL MOCK recorders except one failed. The data was not retrievable even in the presence of the installers. We ALL ended up borrowing the recorder of the one vehicle that passed and had the memory cards from our faulty recorders inserted into the new recorder and they were able to download the data.They later on changed the recorders but we honestly cannot tell whether they are downloadable, despite the fact that they are working on the road perfectly.
I must say, sadly, that almost ALL PGL governors/Recorders failed miserably. They were the majority of the vehicles inspected. probably more than a third of the NENO fleet were fitted with PGL governors. Correction of the same took almost 4 days. You would think the inspection centre had been moved to the EMBU stadium where they were being sorted out.

Seen the news today? Turns out NTSA were developing a universal device to read data from all the various speed devices from different vendors. How on earth do they demand that the vendors recall their devices and fix them so that they can be compatible to some hardware that has been developed far much later? This explains why the vendors can read the data on their devices but NTSA can't. Basic computer architecture concepts but try explaining that to some fellow in public office, all they know is "DIGITAL". So to them it should work.

Hardware just doesn't work like that but then again, what do i know? We live in a country where the average person in a public office thinks he is the smartest fellow. Talk about climbing a tree from the top. We need the right people in the right jobs in this country.
derick
#552 Posted : Monday, February 02, 2015 5:31:52 PM

matatuman wrote:
Prime wrote:
matatuman wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:
matatuman wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Hi Matatuman,

Seen the news today? Turns out NTSA were developing a universal device to read data from all the various speed devices from different vendors. How on earth do they demand that the vendors recall their devices and fix them so that they can be compatible to some hardware that has been developed far much later? This explains why the vendors can read the data on their devices but NTSA can't. Basic computer architecture concepts but try explaining that to some fellow in public office, all they know is "DIGITAL". So to them it should work.

Hardware just doesn't work like that but then again, what do i know? We live in a country where the average person in a public office thinks he is the smartest fellow. Talk about climbing a tree from the top. We need the right people in the right jobs in this country.

Your income is directly related to your philosophy, Not the economy.-Jim Rohn
derick
#553 Posted : Monday, February 02, 2015 9:20:38 PM

derick wrote:
matatuman wrote:
Prime wrote:
matatuman wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:
matatuman wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Hi Matatuman,

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly :-
Your income is directly related to your philosophy, Not the economy.-Jim Rohn
gmfoat
#554 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 12:57:55 PM

Hey guys. Thanks for this very helpful forum, spent the entire afternoon yesterday going through all the 500+ posts!
Me and my bro are planning to import a Hiace box-type van for a 10 seater shuttle. We have a budget of around 2m. Any advice on whether this amount will take care of all set-up costs? Am especially concerned about the cost of all the post-importation modifications. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Keep the spirit up!
jerry
#555 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 1:54:32 PM

gmfoat wrote:
Hey guys. Thanks for this very helpful forum, spent the entire afternoon yesterday going through all the 500+ posts!
Me and my bro are planning to import a Hiace box-type van for a 10 seater shuttle. We have a budget of around 2m. Any advice on whether this amount will take care of all set-up costs? Am especially concerned about the cost of all the post-importation modifications. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Keep the spirit up!

Just do your maths! What exporters do you have in mind? Papera, Alainjapan, ibcjapan, sbt, beforward...? Use www.dutycalc.co.ke for duty.

Identify the "box" you want to buy by chassis number KDH201-00... I guess 2.1M-2.2M will be adequate "ex-KPA". All the best.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
Robinhood
#556 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 1:58:59 PM

Guys - has anyone given their bus to KBS or Citihoppa? How do these work? Do they take off the hustles of police, Kanjo Etc and can I hope to remain in my 8-5pm job without having to chase the crew all over the city?
Great men are not always wise, neither do the aged understand judgement...
kaka2za
#557 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 2:41:35 PM

Robinhood wrote:
Guys - has anyone given their bus to KBS or Citihoppa? How do these work? Do they take off the hustles of police, Kanjo Etc and can I hope to remain in my 8-5pm job without having to chase the crew all over the city?

I don't know about Hoppa but KBS take care of nearly all issues.
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
gmfoat
#558 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 2:49:18 PM

jerry wrote:
gmfoat wrote:

Just do your maths! What exporters do you have in mind? Papera, Alainjapan, ibcjapan, sbt, beforward...? Use www.dutycalc.co.ke for duty.

Identify the "box" you want to buy by chassis number KDH201-00... I guess 2.1M-2.2M will be adequate "ex-KPA". All the best.

Thanks Jerry
Robinhood
#559 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 4:22:08 PM

kaka2za wrote:
Robinhood wrote:

Thanks Kaka Z. Does the daily takings change? Remember KBS has access to the town centre but you also pay them a fee to manage the vehicle. Anyone with figures?
Great men are not always wise, neither do the aged understand judgement...
kaka2za
#560 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 5:01:11 PM

Robinhood wrote:
kaka2za wrote:
Robinhood wrote:

Thanks Kaka Z. Does the daily takings change? Remember KBS has access to the town centre but you also pay them a fee to manage the vehicle. Anyone with figures?

Yes, daily earnings vary. Management fee is 10% of gross.
I would advise you to get info at their View Park towers office
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)