wazua Sat, May 4, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

47 Pages<1234>»
Matatu Business
ali
#21 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 10:12:53 PM

I run this biz and i can have a word or two on the business.
1. have a manager if you cannot run it yourself.
2. trust nobody...they are all out to eat your cake.
3. go to it if you must, otherwise, please invest that cash in other altenatives.

for more..........lennyirungu@yahoo.com
For in him (Jesus) we live and move and have our being-Acts 17:28
subaru
#22 Posted : Thursday, June 09, 2011 9:35:11 AM

@ ali kati ya qd na td which one performs better ?
Luscily
#23 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:29:38 AM

@Ali i have a 3.3 lorry, the business has been all time low through this year & am certainly sure if i sell the vehicle i'll divert the funds to other unplanned investments.Am of the idea of converting the 3.3 to probably 29 seater mini bus & ply eastleigh route. Kindly advice
subaru
#24 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:14:33 AM

@ lus just tengeneza it to become a water tanker and start making some cash i hav seen several old ones ex matatus do the work quite well
Jingles
#25 Posted : Sunday, July 17, 2011 11:17:41 PM

Hi Guys!
This is my forst post though i have been a guest for the past few years. i am in the process of buying a mini bus that will be franchised to MOA by name of Compliant. Anyone done this before, what is the reputation of Compliant.
Thanks!
kingfisher
#26 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2011 8:51:06 AM

Jingles wrote:
Hi Guys!
This is my forst post though i have been a guest for the past few years. i am in the process of buying a mini bus that will be franchised to MOA by name of Compliant. Anyone done this before, what is the reputation of Compliant.
Thanks!

What are their terms?
Have you tried double M? What are their terms?
When I have money, I get rid of it quickly, lest it find a way into my heart.
bwenyenye
#27 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2011 2:16:01 PM

Jingles wrote:
Hi Guys!
Thanks!

If you can, try get yourself a 51 seater bus.

@Kingfisher, does double M take in franchisees? I thought it is strictly a family business.d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!
I Think Therefore I Am
Jingles
#28 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:58:32 PM

Double M is currently not franchising.
Compliant is charging a one time franchise fee of 35k.
Thanks to all
David_Smart
#29 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:38:27 PM

Jingles wrote:
Hi Guys!
Thanks!

Hi Jingles,

I have a buddy who took his bus to Compliant last week. He is comfortable with MOA Compliant as they are small and don't have as much stress as the likes of City Shuttle.

In the case of the latter, they were insisting that his bus be painted with a particular shade of blue and yellow. And you have to buy it from a particular shop which was of course selling the paint expensively compared to a kawa shop. He immediately smelled a rat in this arrangement and thus walked out of a City Shuttle deal.

Also, have you decided where you would like to manufacture the bus...or been advised as to where it will be made?

He also learnt that the big bus body manufacturers (e.g LSHS, Banbros ) are now building all buses uniformly (i.e. a standardised model). You need to figure out if that's what you want especially for a route where being unique is key.

My friend opted to have a small manufacturer built for him a bus with a unique design and is really pleased with the reception (and business)he has received so far.

Cheers!
Jingles
#30 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 11:22:51 PM

Thanks @ Hello,
Does your friend have a 29 or 33 seater? Had he done his homework before deciding on compliant? I have not decided on a builder yet, who did your friend go with, how much? Thanks!
David_Smart
#31 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 6:09:12 PM

Jingles wrote:
Thanks @ Hello,
Does your friend have a 29 or 33 seater? Had he done his homework before deciding on compliant? I have not decided on a builder yet, who did your friend go with, how much? Thanks!

Jingles,

You could say that the decision to opt for Compliant MOA by trial and error. His view was that if a company has issues like colour even before the bus is operating, he hated to imagine how they would be later i.e. with collections and accounting for the expenses. After all, they are no or less the same i.e. in how they operate.

FYI, my buddy has a 33 seater.

As for the cost, he told me that it really depends on what features you are seeking to have in the bus. When you have a moment, do call the body builder on this number - 0717 331 509.

Regards
Cde Monomotapa
#32 Posted : Sunday, July 24, 2011 5:52:49 AM

chepkel wrote:
North Rift is also good. Try them out. Most trusted line of matatus in the region.

very true.excellent brand and very professional.
Cde Monomotapa
#33 Posted : Sunday, July 24, 2011 6:09:12 AM

The major tricks in this biz is management and rate of wear & tear (delibarate). I always wonder @ an over 1M investment being operated by reckless and or drunken crews, tis scary.
kingfisher
#34 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 12:14:11 PM

@ALL

Was just thinking....

It seems a number of Wazuans are interested in this business. That means if you join hands you can come up with your own brand name, brand your buses and manage them. Start figuring out how you can do this by your selves. Start recruiting your selves now.

Let me say I am interested, though I cant procure a bus now, but would be able to later and join.
When I have money, I get rid of it quickly, lest it find a way into my heart.
livie
#35 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 12:28:34 PM

you best read this first...fast!

http://www.standardmedia...0040064&cid=658&
If you are going to be thinking only one thing, you might as well be thinking big. -Donald J . Trump
zip*
#36 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 2:17:23 PM

@ Jingles,

The bus body builder does matter. A pal of mine recently got themselves an MOA branded bus. We went round looking for where to make the body and learnt that the big guns (LSHS, Banbros, Master) not only charge much but also don't have desirable client service for small players.

We opted to look for a smaller company that gave a fairer price and took us very seriously hence delivering in good time. It was somewhere on Old North Airport road.
You could call these numbers 0717 331509 or 0721 440791. The latter was especially of great help.
Robinhood
#37 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:10:37 PM

zip* wrote:
@ Jingles,

The bus body builder does matter. A pal of mine recently got themselves an MOA branded bus. We went round looking for where to make the body and learnt that the big guns (LSHS, Banbros, Master) not only charge much but also don't have desirable client service for small players.

We opted to look for a smaller company that gave a fairer price and took us very seriously hence delivering in good time. It was somewhere on Old North Airport road.
You could call these numbers 0717 331509 or 0721 440791. The latter was especially of great help.

@zip, how much did the body cost? What are the other costs one has to incur before the vehicle is on the road? I know one needs to pay TLB and inspection, but what else and how much should I set aside apart for route entry fees?
Great men are not always wise, neither do the aged understand judgement...
raszag
#38 Posted : Tuesday, November 01, 2011 10:05:41 AM

TUPAC wrote:
bwenyenye wrote:
@tupac
How is the 33 seater business segment in the town service. Would you recommend it? what in your opinion is the realistic average take home for the owner

@bwenyenye ours ply the loitokitok nairobi route and they are all 11 seaters.33 seater in town sijui.

@Tupac....Hope your mat biz is still doing good....I am thinking of entering this biz...please share your email or cell number I contact you directly ...you might be of great help.

My email is raszag at yahoo dot com

Thanks.
Hardwork, Smartness & Humility = Successful and Happy life...Jipange sasa hivi
TUPAC
#39 Posted : Tuesday, November 01, 2011 10:20:13 AM

raszag wrote:
TUPAC wrote:
bwenyenye wrote:
@tupac
How is the 33 seater business segment in the town service. Would you recommend it? what in your opinion is the realistic average take home for the owner

@bwenyenye ours ply the loitokitok nairobi route and they are all 11 seaters.33 seater in town sijui.

@Tupac....Hope your mat biz is still doing good....I am thinking of entering this biz...please share your email or cell number I contact you directly ...you might be of great help.

My email is raszag at yahoo dot com

Thanks.

let me email you.
...things fall apart...the centre cannot hold..mere anarchy is loosed upon the world...w b yeats
David_Smart
#40 Posted : Tuesday, November 01, 2011 10:35:32 AM

[GOOGLEWIDGET][/GOOGLEWIDGET]
Robinhood wrote:
zip* wrote:
@ Jingles,

@zip, how much did the body cost? What are the other costs one has to incur before the vehicle is on the road? I know one needs to pay TLB and inspection, but what else and how much should I set aside apart for route entry fees?

@Robinhood,

The minimum cost of making a 29 - 33 seater bus is around Kshs. 900k. You will get a very "basic" bus i.e. a bus with no undercarriage boot, inside shelf or roof carrier. Also, the design will be very basic like what you see on the roads.

So, you need to be sure if you really want the bus to operate on town service or you would like to have it for occassional hire where you definitely need storage space.

Other costs you will incur are PSV Advance Tax (at Kshs. 750 per passenger), installation of a speed governor (around 20k) and of course, insurance for the vehicle.

FYI, the cost of MV inspection (for the road license) is usually borne by the body builder.

Regards