wazua Sat, Apr 27, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

47 Pages«<1617181920>»
Matatu Business
double eem
#341 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2014 12:12:54 PM

matatuman wrote:
double eem wrote:
Entire body...including the dashboard.Any idea of the price?

Entire body sijui but try your luck hapo grogan side ya mtoni and across the river near where they wash cars. There is a building with a basement full of body parts for all kinds of vehicles.

Thanks @matatuman..will check there coming sato.Someone was suggesting sourcing from Uganda.Anybody tried UG?
matatuman
#342 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2014 1:07:08 PM

To the "usual suspects", I will be in Japan next week- Osaka and Kobe. I might squeeze some time and randa randa abit. Maybe check out the auction houses and get a few contacts. If you have a "wishlist" then drop me a line. We need to demystify auction fees charged by dealers.
Rapudox
#343 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2014 4:29:11 PM

Hallo Guys,
after contemplating, analysing and contemplating again, I decided to take the deep dive into Matatu biz. My new 33-Seater will be on the road soon. BUT many many challenges ahead e.g Kidero Buses, Payless cash systems, KRA tightening the leash....(@Kimiri...whats your take on these challenges??)We shall see. I will keep you posted...
matatuman
#344 Posted : Friday, May 09, 2014 11:54:23 AM

Rapudox wrote:
Hallo Guys,
after contemplating, analysing and contemplating again, I decided to take the deep dive into Matatu biz. My new 33-Seater will be on the road soon. BUT many many challenges ahead e.g Kidero Buses, Payless cash systems, KRA tightening the leash....(@Kimiri...whats your take on these challenges??)We shall see. I will keep you posted...

What route? How much did the body cost you and how long did you wait to have the body built? Which fabricator?
Rapudox
#345 Posted : Friday, May 09, 2014 12:54:45 PM

@Matatuman,
Route 125, Total price from GM @ 4.8M, Body builder was Dodi....and it took almost 5 good months from the time I signed that contract...
jerry
#346 Posted : Friday, May 09, 2014 2:35:06 PM

matatuman wrote:
To the "usual suspects", I will be in Japan next week- Osaka and Kobe. I might squeeze some time and randa randa abit. Maybe check out the auction houses and get a few contacts. If you have a "wishlist" then drop me a line. We need to demystify auction fees charged by dealers.

Way to go!!
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
kimiri
#347 Posted : Friday, May 09, 2014 3:40:26 PM

Rapudox wrote:
Hallo Guys,

@Rapudox. Welcome to the club and all the best from myself. I do not think you need to be unduly worried about the challenges that you have mentioned for a number of reasons. First, I am very sceptical that CCN will be able to successfully run a bus company. On the outset, history is against them going by what happened to KBS and also Nyayo buses. Add this to the high level of inefficiency and corruption that characterises service delivery by NCC and what you get is a white elephant waiting to happen. To be honest I think the proposed bus project is another corruption scandal in the making. There are also technical challenges for them given the huge size of buses they are talking about. With the state of traffic jam in many roads in Nairobi I do not think they will get anywhere with those kind of buses. On payless cash systems - I do not think implementing it would be costly to the operator even if the government tried to enforce it. Note that matatu operators have actually been paying tax to KRA in the form of advance tax every year.
Rapudox
#348 Posted : Friday, May 09, 2014 4:34:27 PM

@Kimiri..thank you, when I look back, I wish I joined the club earlier. Nway, better later than never. ABout CCN, those were exactly some of my thoughts...Facts truly are: 1) They lack efficiency, 2) It is a corrupt den 3) Infrastructure in NBI isnt ready yet for these modern type buses 4) Chinese products speak for themselves..he he
5) KBS and NYAYO actually collapsed. 6) If the buses operate on pure time schedules, they will be in for major losses....and if they operate 'Kienyeji style...only taking off when its full...then they have no chance against matatus. WHich Passenger in his right mind will wait for a SLOW Bus to fill up??
6)Matatu interests has deep roots in this government
About cashless pay systems, my biggest worry is that KRA will go beyond the advance Tax per year...and demand say 30% income tax....because now all the payments will be recorded in the system.
I highly doubt whether this system is actually implementable in a country like Kenya...are we going to force the grannies to walk around with payment cards.....
kimiri
#349 Posted : Friday, May 09, 2014 4:47:55 PM

Rapudox wrote:
@Kimiri..thank you, when I look back, I wish I joined the club earlier. Nway, better later than never. ABout CCN, those were exactly some of my thoughts...Facts truly are: 1) They lack efficiency, 2) It is a corrupt den 3) Infrastructure in NBI isnt ready yet for these modern type buses 4) Chinese products speak for themselves..he he
5) KBS and NYAYO actually collapsed. 6) If the buses operate on pure time schedules, they will be in for major losses....and if they operate 'Kienyeji style...only taking off when its full...then they have no chance against matatus. WHich Passenger in his right mind will wait for a SLOW Bus to fill up??
6)Matatu interests has deep roots in this government
About cashless pay systems, my biggest worry is that KRA will go beyond the advance Tax per year...and demand say 30% income tax....because now all the payments will be recorded in the system.
I highly doubt whether this system is actually implementable in a country like Kenya...are we going to force the grannies to walk around with payment cards.....

I am not an accountant so I stand to be corrected. However my take is that since matatus are actually businesses what the government would go for is taxing your profits. They however do not data on your expenditure and so it is not an easy thing for them to do.
Rankaz13
#350 Posted : Friday, May 09, 2014 6:59:36 PM

Rapudox wrote:
@Matatuman,
Route 125, Total price from GM @ 4.8M, Body builder was Dodi....and it took almost 5 good months from the time I signed that contract...

Applause Applause Congrats Rapudox and welcome to the club. 5 months sounds woefully long, what, in your opinion, caused such a delay? Na hii 4.8m ni nini haswa, chassis only ama plus body? Of this, how much is the body alone? All the best mblo.smile
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Rapudox
#351 Posted : Friday, May 09, 2014 8:22:49 PM

@Kimiri...absolutely very true, forgot to factor that in. Taxation of
businesses is only on profit. The Enterpreneur can stretch and squeeze the profit like he wants...just like those big blue chip companies do. It would be an uphill task for KRA.
@Thank you Rankaz13...5 months is indeed painfully long! You have to push those body builders continuosly. Kila mtu wants some incentive to do things, at the time they are actually supposed to do it.African Biz is certainly not for the fainthearted..:/ 4.8M is total for Chassis plus Body (you can choose the bodybuilder yourself). You need another at least 300-400K for all those sideshows i.e. rangi, music, incentives etc
Tokyo
#352 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 3:29:26 AM

matatuman wrote:

Karibu matatu man.
They say Osaka /Kobe auction not the best. Tochigi/ makuhari/ Gifu prices more competitive.
Ukipita Tokyo I can buy you kahawa
work to prosper
Prime
#353 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 12:29:59 PM

Tokyo wrote:
matatuman wrote:

Karibu matatu man.
They say Osaka /Kobe auction not the best. Tochigi/ makuhari/ Gifu prices more competitive.

Hi matatuman, I think it is commendable. I think it is something do-able. What im not sure, and Tokyo may have to confirm, is on whether you must be a member of the auction i.e. can anyone just purchase from the auctions? I however know that there would be a great deal of savings to be done.

Tokyo, there was a time i asked you on whether you could facilitate sourcing and importation at a commission, or whether you could link me up with s small, dependable vendor who could source cars at a cheaper overall price. Im not sure I saw your comment on the issue
matatuman
#354 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 1:54:37 PM

Tokyo wrote:
matatuman wrote:

Karibu matatu man.

@Tokyo: Thanks smile Will be there on other business not vehicles. But still no harm in checking. I doubt I will make it to Tokyo but there is always next time. I happen to know several Kenyans in Osaka,Kobe and Nara so I will be at home.
matatuman
#355 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 2:01:33 PM

Prime wrote:
Tokyo wrote:
matatuman wrote:

Karibu matatu man.

Hi matatuman, I think it is commendable. I think it is something do-able. What im not sure, and Tokyo may have to confirm, is on whether you must be a member of the auction i.e. can anyone just purchase from the auctions? I however know that there would be a great deal of savings to be done.

Tokyo, there was a time i asked you on whether you could facilitate sourcing and importation at a commission, or whether you could link me up with s small, dependable vendor who could source cars at a cheaper overall price. Im not sure I saw your comment on the issue

I will find out all that and give my update here. Information is power.
Tokyo
#356 Posted : Monday, May 12, 2014 10:18:41 AM

Prime wrote:
Tokyo wrote:
matatuman wrote:

Karibu matatu man.

Auction is for members only. You can neither purchase directly nor enter past the gates unless accompanied by a member. Matatuman will confirm.
@prime. Unless buying in bulk, you might not save significant amounts. Let me have your contacts
work to prosper
kimiri
#357 Posted : Monday, May 12, 2014 12:32:03 PM

kimiri wrote:
Rapudox wrote:
Hallo Guys,

@Rapudox. Welcome to the club and all the best from myself. I do not think you need to be unduly worried about the challenges that you have mentioned for a number of reasons. First, I am very sceptical that CCN will be able to successfully run a bus company. On the outset, history is against them going by what happened to KBS and also Nyayo buses. Add this to the high level of inefficiency and corruption that characterises service delivery by NCC and what you get is a white elephant waiting to happen. To be honest I think the proposed bus project is another corruption scandal in the making. There are also technical challenges for them given the huge size of buses they are talking about. With the state of traffic jam in many roads in Nairobi I do not think they will get anywhere with those kind of buses. On payless cash systems - I do not think implementing it would be costly to the operator even if the government tried to enforce it. Note that matatu operators have actually been paying tax to KRA in the form of advance tax every year.

Didn't I say that a bus company by NCC was a corruption scandal in the making? The architect is already in trouble for his role in the tendering process!

http://www.nation.co.ke/...2/-/baeuav/-/index.html
Kipkorir
#358 Posted : Monday, May 12, 2014 2:54:21 PM

Good morning Wazuans. I need your tips here.

I have toyota shark Automatic engine and would like to convert it to Manual.

What is the cost in the current market to do the conversion?

Thank you
pkn
Rankaz13
#359 Posted : Monday, May 12, 2014 10:54:12 PM

Kipkorir wrote:

Thank you

Not sure the prevailing costs but I bought a replacement gear for 3l in 2012 for 54k. A few other things you'll need include:

- clutch. I'm told there's a specific type used by miraa pickups that comes highly recommended. Jina ndilo sikumbuki.

- pressure plate. Hapa pia kuna aina fulani hutumiwa na hawa majamaa wa miraa.

- pedal.

- master cylinder.

- gear lever.

- depending on the shape of your current bell-housing, you may or may not need another.

- generally, automatic gearboxes are 'longer' than manual ones and thus the propeller (at least the first half of it) in the automatic gear vehicle is shorter. To rectify this, you may either purchase a complete propeller for a manual vehicle (the first half) together with its universal joint/bearings or have a small piece welded to your current one to make it to the required length. If you go for the latter option, ensure you select someone who knows what they're doing so that the cut & subsequent welding is exactly straight and aligned. There are machines for checking that within Grogan area.

- assorted pipes and smaller bits and pieces.

If you're in Nbi, call this guy +254 723 109 463, called Kariuki. He did a wonderful job on my Toyota Liteace back in 2010. Dude was thorough in the real sense of the word, so much so that there was no need for eti a test-drive after the job. Gari ilienda stage na ikabeba straight. I was impressed. The whole process took 5hrs by the way. We began at 7a.m and were done by noon.

Now, for the shopping. I'm assuming you have a regular mech. Let him/her make for you a comprehensive list of all items required (my list above may not be exhaustive) then do some legwork and compare prices. There are several spare parts shops/warehouses around Ngara (ukiingilia hako ka-njia kako hapo Trishul Towers). Anza hapo. Then check out several shops in Grogan (the 'road' that runs parallel to Kirinyaga road). I recall I got my clutch and pressure plate at Symoo Auto Spares. Huyu vitu za Shark hakosangi. Check Mwalimu Autospares too; duka ni nyingi. Take a walk to Industrial Area too. There're so many autospares shops along Dar-es-Salaam road (e.g Saitama Autospares), kina Impala autospares pale kwa junction ya hii na udaro ya Mater, etc as well as along Baricho road too(e.g Shamas autospares, Rayan, etc). Duka ni nyingi, usichoke kutembea. You'll learn a lot in the process.

That said, I always advise that as long as the auto gearbox is in good working order, no need to change it. Take good care of it (change ATF every 20,000km max and use high quality ATF), and only when it's clear it's totally broken then do you change it. Tell-tale signs may include failure to change/engage some gears or remaining stuck in some gears for too long.

That said, all the best bro.smile
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Kipkorir
#360 Posted : Tuesday, May 13, 2014 10:29:21 AM

Rankaz13 wrote:
Kipkorir wrote:

Thank you

Not sure the prevailing costs but I bought a replacement gear for 3l in 2012 for 54k. A few other things you'll need include:

- clutch. I'm told there's a specific type used by miraa pickups that comes highly recommended. Jina ndilo sikumbuki.

- pressure plate. Hapa pia kuna aina fulani hutumiwa na hawa majamaa wa miraa.

- pedal.

- master cylinder.

- gear lever.

- depending on the shape of your current bell-housing, you may or may not need another.

- generally, automatic gearboxes are 'longer' than manual ones and thus the propeller (at least the first half of it) in the automatic gear vehicle is shorter. To rectify this, you may either purchase a complete propeller for a manual vehicle (the first half) together with its universal joint/bearings or have a small piece welded to your current one to make it to the required length. If you go for the latter option, ensure you select someone who knows what they're doing so that the cut & subsequent welding is exactly straight and aligned. There are machines for checking that within Grogan area.

- assorted pipes and smaller bits and pieces.

If you're in Nbi, call this guy +254 723 109 463, called Kariuki. He did a wonderful job on my Toyota Liteace back in 2010. Dude was thorough in the real sense of the word, so much so that there was no need for eti a test-drive after the job. Gari ilienda stage na ikabeba straight. I was impressed. The whole process took 5hrs by the way. We began at 7a.m and were done by noon.

Now, for the shopping. I'm assuming you have a regular mech. Let him/her make for you a comprehensive list of all items required (my list above may not be exhaustive) then do some legwork and compare prices. There are several spare parts shops/warehouses around Ngara (ukiingilia hako ka-njia kako hapo Trishul Towers). Anza hapo. Then check out several shops in Grogan (the 'road' that runs parallel to Kirinyaga road). I recall I got my clutch and pressure plate at Symoo Auto Spares. Huyu vitu za Shark hakosangi. Check Mwalimu Autospares too; duka ni nyingi. Take a walk to Industrial Area too. There're so many autospares shops along Dar-es-Salaam road (e.g Saitama Autospares), kina Impala autospares pale kwa junction ya hii na udaro ya Mater, etc as well as along Baricho road too(e.g Shamas autospares, Rayan, etc). Duka ni nyingi, usichoke kutembea. You'll learn a lot in the process.

That said, I always advise that as long as the auto gearbox is in good working order, no need to change it. Take good care of it (change ATF every 20,000km max and use high quality ATF), and only when it's clear it's totally broken then do you change it. Tell-tale signs may include failure to change/engage some gears or remaining stuck in some gears for too long.

That said, all the best bro.smile

Rankaz13, thanks alot. With that massive intel, I owe alot and God Bless you. I will do the homework and let you know on my progress. Thanks again my brother.
pkn