wazua Sat, Apr 27, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

47 Pages«<1516171819>»
Matatu Business
matatuman
#321 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2014 8:49:55 PM

Prime wrote:
matatuman wrote:
By the way, one thing is for sure, 14 seaters aren't going anywhere. At least not as long as Kidero and co. are buying Foton buses. Very comfy and stylish but performance is wanting.

The trend seems to be the opposite within the city. Majority of the routes are having the bigger busses taking over. Nissans and sharks may soon remain on the non-lucrative routes. Upcountry is still tricky. I dont understand why guys will not embrace small buses, despite them being more comfortable and spacious. Probably it would be because they fill pole pole

In Nairobi buses will be king, but this is a bubble. Margins will drop. On some of our routes, buses just won't work. It wont be profitable. Many who try buses on this "long distance routes" will be forced to either quit or put up with the profits they used to make from smaller vans. Reason being, you cant do murengo with a bus. So most likely where the van was doing 2 return trips, the bus might do one, or none at all depending on how many vehicles there are.
babaroy
#322 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2014 10:56:55 PM

@matatuman. wake up and smell the coffee before it is too late...14 seaters are going out of business. The cost of spare parts is ever rising. maintenance standards are always falling. pilferage by uncouth crew is on the rise. The traffic police are ever demanding more bribes, and the courts are ever raising the fares.

About the 'mulengo' thing, buses on routes 39,46.4 are already doing it succesfully
matatuman
#323 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2014 11:54:28 PM

babaroy wrote:
@matatuman. wake up and smell the coffee before it is too late...14 seaters are going out of business. The cost of spare parts is ever rising. maintenance standards are always falling. pilferage by uncouth crew is on the rise. The traffic police are ever demanding more bribes, and the courts are ever raising the fares.

About the 'mulengo' thing, buses on routes 39,46.4 are already doing it succesfully

Boss no offence but none of your points make sense. Check my post again, I said buses will work in the city but its a bubble, margins will drop. Significantly I must say. So when you say "smell the coffee" which one? The same coffee that's been brewing since the days of Michuki? I'll smell it when it's served. Meanwhile, the 14 seater is still king.

Hiyo story yako ya cost of spares, mimi sina gari ng'ote,but I understand nairobians have accepted being moved around in run down ramshackles. Inflation inachapa kila mtu, si watu wa 14 seaters pekee. Plus I think you have read too many newspapers written by some crappy Kenyan journalist behind a desk who thinks a shark can only be a type of fish. As for pilferage, I doubt the buses fair any better. If anything, they have more mouths to feed, I only feed a driver per vehicle. Maintenance standards hata sijui unasema nini. Uncouth crew? Nairobi crew are uncouth because we as a society tolerate it. You need to meet my drivers or any of the staff on our shuttle. Tell me another. Ohh and I can't tell you the last time any of my drivers bribed a cop-we actually fine them if they do.
I need to welcome you to the good life. Sahau town service, utamea mvi mapema. Organized shuttles are a different ball game.

Swali moja tu, this 39,46 you are touting here are within Nairobi. Doesn't qualify as murengo, its called BAU (business as usual). You can not do murengo to meru nyeri or those out of town routes using a bus unless you are a philanthropist.

Lets do simple maths, 3 fourteen seaters give you more than a single 33 seater. The cost of the three is identical to the bus-unless you are an olx shopper of course. With the bus all your eggs are in one basket. Forget any higher capacity bus, they give less than the 33 seater. Remind me again, why would I want to buy a bus?
babaroy
#324 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2014 6:56:58 PM

matatuman wrote:
babaroy wrote:

Boss no offence but none of your points make sense. Check my post again, I said buses will work in the city but its a bubble, margins will drop. Significantly I must say. So when you say "smell the coffee" which one? The same coffee that's been brewing since the days of Michuki? I'll smell it when it's served. Meanwhile, the 14 seater is still king.

Hiyo story yako ya cost of spares, mimi sina gari ng'ote,but I understand nairobians have accepted being moved around in run down ramshackles. Inflation inachapa kila mtu, si watu wa 14 seaters pekee. Plus I think you have read too many newspapers written by some crappy Kenyan journalist behind a desk who thinks a shark can only be a type of fish. As for pilferage, I doubt the buses fair any better. If anything, they have more mouths to feed, I only feed a driver per vehicle. Maintenance standards hata sijui unasema nini. Uncouth crew? Nairobi crew are uncouth because we as a society tolerate it. You need to meet my drivers or any of the staff on our shuttle. Tell me another. Ohh and I can't tell you the last time any of my drivers bribed a cop-we actually fine them if they do.
I need to welcome you to the good life. Sahau town service, utamea mvi mapema. Organized shuttles are a different ball game.

Swali moja tu, this 39,46 you are touting here are within Nairobi. Doesn't qualify as murengo, its called BAU (business as usual). You can not do murengo to meru nyeri or those out of town routes using a bus unless you are a philanthropist.

Lets do simple maths, 3 fourteen seaters give you more than a single 33 seater. The cost of the three is identical to the bus-unless you are an olx shopper of course. With the bus all your eggs are in one basket. Forget any higher capacity bus, they give less than the 33 seater. Remind me again, why would I want to buy a bus?

thanks for clarifying the context. I am in total agreement with you on most points.. but I pray, how much does a 33 seater bus cost? The last time I checked it was around 5m. A shark is now clocking 2.5M without modifications...right? Kindly clarify the maths
matatuman
#325 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2014 8:56:54 PM

babaroy wrote:
matatuman wrote:
babaroy wrote:

Hiyo story yako ya cost of spares, I understand nairobians have accepted being moved around in run down ramshackles. Inflation inachapa kila mtu, si watu wa 14 seaters pekee. Plus I think you have read too many newspapers written by some crappy Kenyan journalist behind a desk who thinks a shark can only be a type of fish. As for pilferage, I doubt the buses fair any better. If anything, they have more mouths to feed, I only feed a driver per vehicle. Maintenance standards hata sijui unasema nini. Uncouth crew? Nairobi crew are uncouth because we as a society tolerate it. You need to meet my drivers or any of the staff on our shuttle. Tell me another. Ohh and I can't tell you the last time any of my drivers bribed a cop-we actually fine them if they do.

thanks for clarifying the context. I am in total agreement with you on most points.. but I pray, how much does a 33 seater bus cost? The last time I checked it was around 5m. A shark is now clocking 2.5M without modifications...right? Kindly clarify the maths

See why i was referring to you as an olx shopper? Forget the prices on olx and cheki. Thats probably me and a couple of others profiting from someone else's ignorance. I must admit though that my conscience wouldn't allow me to sell at 2.5M. I wouldn't be able to live with myself. Import don't buy locally, i can help with that. A petrol box will cost you anything from 1.3 to 1.5. A diesel should be about 1.6 to 1.8. Figures are indicative depending on your negotiating skills and the vehicle's condition specifically mileage. Your figure on the bus should suffice.
jerry
#326 Posted : Sunday, April 27, 2014 6:50:06 PM

@matatuman is right on cost of importing "shark" boxes. One more price/cost determinant is amount of depreciation.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
Rankaz13
#327 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2014 10:03:46 PM

babaroy wrote:
matatuman wrote:
babaroy wrote:

Have a look at the GM price list here

What I do not know is whether this is the price of cab and chassis only or the price of a fully built bus. I've looked at the websites of various bus body builders (Dodi, LSHS, Master Fabricators) but none mentions pricing, though I've often heard figures of around 800k for a fully fitted 33-seater being bandied around.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Kipkorir
#328 Posted : Tuesday, April 29, 2014 9:43:19 AM

Good morning guyz. Kindly inform me on the prices of the following autopsares: Oil filter, air filter, and diesel filter. I have a toyota shark which I have been servicing at Total station Hurlighum and I have a feeling that this station is charging me exhorbitantly for the said parts.

Give me your feedback ASAP if you don't mind. Thank you
pkn
Rankaz13
#329 Posted : Tuesday, April 29, 2014 11:32:44 PM

Kipkorir wrote:
Good morning guyz. Kindly inform me on the prices of the following autopsares: Oil filter, air filter, and diesel filter. I have a toyota shark which I have been servicing at Total station Hurlighum and I have a feeling that this station is charging me exhorbitantly for the said parts.

Hello sir. I use Total Rubia TIR-7400 15w40 that costs 6940/= for four 5litre jerrycans. Oil filter costs 200 (for 5l) or 300 (for 1kz), air filter 350/= and diesel/fuel filter 300/=.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Kipkorir
#330 Posted : Friday, May 02, 2014 10:17:24 AM

Rankaz13 wrote:
Kipkorir wrote:

Hello sir. I use Total Rubia TIR-7400 15w40 that costs 6940/= for four 5litre jerrycans. Oil filter costs 200 (for 5l) or 300 (for 1kz), air filter 350/= and diesel/fuel filter 300/=.

Thanks Rankaz13 but am shocked at how much I have been paying. The guyz are charging me sh1800 for oil filter, sh1800 for air filter and sh2000 for fuel filter (diesel). He claims these are genuine products. As for the oil, he sells at sh420 per liter. My matatu use 7 liters.
I don't know whether his explanation is genuine. What is your opinion Rankaz?
pkn
Prime
#331 Posted : Friday, May 02, 2014 1:20:23 PM

Kipkorir wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:
Kipkorir wrote:

Thanks Rankaz13 but am shocked at how much I have been paying. The guyz are charging me sh1800 for oil filter, sh1800 for air filter and sh2000 for fuel filter (diesel). He claims these are genuine products. As for the oil, he sells at sh420 per liter. My matatu use 7 liters.

Kip,
Why not carry the packaging and just confirm with a different total station. Ordinarily the prices are usually similar across the Totals and they always issue receipts. I use 5200 for oil (Synthetic-2x4 litre jericans though consumes 7litres), Oil filter at 300, air cleaner at 500. I haven't yet changed my fuel filter yet. After how long should I change it? The mechanic told me there is no need of changing it frequently. I would wish to seek a second opinion from my pals in the industry (Including washiku). I do the service after 6000kms.
Rankaz13
#332 Posted : Friday, May 02, 2014 9:14:37 PM

Prime wrote:
Kipkorir wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:
Kipkorir wrote:

Kip,
Why not carry the packaging and just confirm with a different total station. Ordinarily the prices are usually similar across the Totals and they always issue receipts. I use 5200 for oil (Synthetic-2x4 litre jericans though consumes 7litres), Oil filter at 300, air cleaner at 500. I haven't yet changed my fuel filter. After how long should I change it? The mechanic told me there is no need of changing it frequently. I would wish to seek a second opinion from my pals in the industry (Including washiku). I do the service after 6000kms.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

@Kip, the prices for your air, fuel and oil are exorbitant to say the least. It may call for you to do a bit of legwork; walk around various outlets and shops to find out exact prevailing prices. What I've learnt over time is that most often, when petrol stations promise free service so long as they sell you the consumables, they tend to be overpriced. However, the price of your oil seems ok.

@Prime, I prefer to change my diesel filter at every 20,000km. Ikichelewa sana, 25,000kms. Since I do my ordinary oil service at 5000kms, on every fourth service, I change the fuel filter too. Same case applies for the air filter too, subject to visual inspection.

ION, I'm looking for an EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) sensor for a 1KZ-TE engine. Mkisikia inatajwa mahali, eleza mimi. It's the top one that has 3-socket spots. I've got one quotation for 13k, wanna see if there's a better deal.
Prime
#333 Posted : Saturday, May 03, 2014 7:27:56 AM

incidentally Kip TOTAL kenya have a page on facebook. They are very prompt in replying to any queries. Just inbox them and they will give you their reserved retail prices. It is especially good if you could note the part numbers.
Rankaz13
#334 Posted : Sunday, May 04, 2014 9:32:55 AM

By the way, guys please note that whenever you're on private hire outside your normal NTSA-licensed route, you're apparently supposed to apply for and get a temporary TLB license that is valid for one week and allows you to ply that different route. KRA officials have been especially vigilant on the roads in enforcing this in the most recent past. I know a few guys who're scheduled to appear in court for that.
matatuman
#335 Posted : Sunday, May 04, 2014 12:26:40 PM

@Prime: I change my diesel filter every third service. Air filter goes with every service. My service interval for the diesel is 3k oil is quartz 5000.
Prime
#336 Posted : Sunday, May 04, 2014 7:38:20 PM

thanks guys. Noted
double eem
#337 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2014 11:42:20 AM

Can someone assist with info on where I can get a good second hand body for a matatu toyota shark.Mine involved in an accident with miraa pick up.
matatuman
#338 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2014 11:53:14 AM

double eem wrote:
Can someone assist with info on where I can get a good second hand body for a matatu toyota shark.Mine involved in an accident with miraa pick up.

Kichwa pekee ama entire body? Kuna some Indian owned shop dareesalam road industrial area. But before heading there you can check at grogan in town for purposes of price comparison. Na ukienda grogan dress the part. And bargain hard even if you dont intend to buy. That covers you in case you need to go back and buy from the fellow.
double eem
#339 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2014 11:58:01 AM

Entire body...including the dashboard.Any idea of the price?
matatuman
#340 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2014 12:06:11 PM

double eem wrote:
Entire body...including the dashboard.Any idea of the price?

Entire body sijui but try your luck hapo grogan side ya mtoni and across the river near where they wash cars. There is a building with a basement full of body parts for all kinds of vehicles.