Rankaz13
#241 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:36:14 PM

Kipkorir wrote:
Prime wrote:
matatuman wrote:
Prime wrote:
jerry wrote:
matatuman wrote:
Anyone with a petrol box we compare notes? (TRH200 chassis). Consumption for mine is similar to my 5Ls. The diesel box is however less thirsty and has better torque.

My route is however relatively short and level so i am not sure how the petrol engine would perform on a long route with significant mountain sections. I however see no difference in terms of operating costs between the diesel box and the petrol box since the service intervals on the petrol are significantly longer and cheaper as compared to the diesel.The savings i make on the diesel at the pump are cancelled by service costs.

I hope you are using oil from Total!

Jerry, I have been using Total's Quartz 9000 (Synthetic which is used on both Petrol and diesel engines). Im however not sure of the draining interval. The total guys tell me to drain at 6000 kms instead of 9000 and my mechanic tells me to drain at 5000. The mechanic says that we will measure the quantity of oil drained out before he can accept the 6000. Though I prefer to do 5000 and service at the first chance I get as long as it does not get to 5500. Your thoughts? I am also wondering where I can get the quartz oil at wholesale prices. Each service consumes 5220 in oil alone

I use Quartz 9000 for the petrol, service interval at 9K. For the diesel i use Quartz 5000, service interval at 3K. For the 5Ls i use Quartz 5000 with an interval of 3K. Only thing i change midway for the petrol is the air filter.

http://www.vacmotorsport...ynthetic-engine-oil.htm

Why not the quartz 9000 for the diesels too? Do you have a place where you buy them at wholesale or do you just buy at the total stations?

Thanks guys for your enlightening topics. I am getting that nearly everyone is using oil from total. What is your take on Oil Rimula from Shell. I have been using it and i have had no issues. Shade some light on benefits of Oil from Total. My matatu is a diesel engine 3L.

The biggest problem, unfortunately if I may add, with the Rimula is that it's quite difficult to identify counterfeits unlike with the Total Rubia where it's quite easy. This I learnt the hard way with a petrol engine before eventually settling on Total Quartz 7000 15w50.

On both 3l & 1kz engines, I use Total Rubia TIR 7400 15w40. The total fellows, when I contacted them by email, advised that this oil can be ordinarily drained at 10,000km intervals but in severe/strenous driving, of which matatu is considered one, they advised a drain interval of 5,000km. I settled for 4,500km with 5,000km as the maximum allowable.

Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Prime
#242 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 5:33:41 PM

@matatuman,
Who's your contact at tomisho? I tried getting to their site (www.tomisho.biz) ?? and I was directed to the site http://www.japaneseusedcar.co.jp . I enquired on a certain unit and they sent me a quotation with the promise of a proforma invoice should I accept the price. I replied to their mail and they went quiet. Which to me is very suspicious, considering that those guys generally will be all over you when you want to purchase a unit. Hebu link me up with your contact and I see if I can get a unit from them. their truck prices are veeery good
matatuman
#243 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:51:59 PM

Prime wrote:
@matatuman,
Who's your contact at tomisho? I tried getting to their site (www.tomisho.biz) ?? and I was directed to the site http://www.japaneseusedcar.co.jp . I enquired on a certain unit and they sent me a quotation with the promise of a proforma invoice should I accept the price. I replied to their mail and they went quiet. Which to me is very suspicious, considering that those guys generally will be all over you when you want to purchase a unit. Hebu link me up with your contact and I see if I can get a unit from them. their truck prices are veeery good

My contact was a guy by the name Solayman. I dealt with them through tradecarview. Thats inclusive of the negotiation through the Carview kenya offices at westlands.
Kipkorir
#244 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 9:10:23 AM

Good morning colleagues.
Anybody who has invested or has an idea of toyota coaster? I want to know in terms of performance and revenue flow vs expenditure in maintainance.

I want to try introducing it into shuttle bussiness plying NBI-KSM route
pkn
Prime
#245 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 7:10:31 PM

jerry wrote:
Prime wrote:
Matatuman... out of curiousity... wewe ni official wa sacco yenu? hehe. On the same issue, I spoke with someone who told me they could hook me up at 28k for the governor. I however wanted to know if I could buy, or pay a downpayment and have it fixed towards the end of march. I am waiting for the answer. I will call tomorrow. They however said that they could do at 25k as sacco negotiated rates.

Jerry, The guys at ngara tell me they have worked on some KBYs which have been registered. Im yet to see one on the road though. so i cant vouch for their statement yet.

Thanks @Prime. I had actually been informed of a KBY 7**D(mine is KBY 8**A) operating in Meru though not sure of exact route. I'm also not sure of it's TLB status.

Jerry, I have now seen several KBYs. Something's cookin. Hope you are getting somewhere.
matatuman
#246 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 7:44:14 PM

Prime wrote:
jerry wrote:
Prime wrote:
Matatuman... out of curiousity... wewe ni official wa sacco yenu? hehe. On the same issue, I spoke with someone who told me they could hook me up at 28k for the governor. I however wanted to know if I could buy, or pay a downpayment and have it fixed towards the end of march. I am waiting for the answer. I will call tomorrow. They however said that they could do at 25k as sacco negotiated rates.

Jerry, The guys at ngara tell me they have worked on some KBYs which have been registered. Im yet to see one on the road though. so i cant vouch for their statement yet.

Thanks @Prime. I had actually been informed of a KBY 7**D(mine is KBY 8**A) operating in Meru though not sure of exact route. I'm also not sure of it's TLB status.

Jerry, I have now seen several KBYs. Something's cookin. Hope you are getting somewhere.

Thats good news, i am still curious about the consignee bit though when importing. Are those vehicles in the Sacco/Company name or are they in individuals names? The regulations by this Kamau guy are gray in that area. But we'll see once Jerry gets his on the road then he can update us.
Rankaz13
#247 Posted : Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:39:28 AM

Prime wrote:
jerry wrote:
Prime wrote:

The newest I have seen is a KBY/F plying the Meru - Nbi route. Also seen a numbeer of KBY/E on same route. @Jerry, any success yet?
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Prime
#248 Posted : Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:17:21 AM

matatuman wrote:
Prime wrote:
jerry wrote:
Prime wrote:

Thats good news, i am still curious about the consignee bit though when importing. Are those vehicles in the Sacco/Company name or are they in individuals names? The regulations by this Kamau guy are gray in that area. But we'll see once Jerry gets his on the road then he can update us.

The consignee remains your name. An agreement is then written between the sacco and the "owner". theres a clause that reads as follows
"the sacco and the owner(s)of the motor vehicle herein are jointly registered proprietors of the motor vehicles whose particulars are as follows...

In other words, the agreement is what makes the vehicle to be owned by BOTH parties. Joint ownership. i madea copy of the agreement I made with our sacco. I can send you on mail if interested.
matatuman
#249 Posted : Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:08:30 PM

Prime wrote:
matatuman wrote:
Prime wrote:
jerry wrote:
Prime wrote:

The consignee remains your name. An agreement is then written between the sacco and the "owner". theres a clause that reads as follows
"the sacco and the owner(s)of the motor vehicle herein are jointly registered proprietors of the motor vehicles whose particulars are as follows...

In other words, the agreement is what makes the vehicle to be owned by BOTH parties. Joint ownership. i madea copy of the agreement I made with our sacco. I can send you on mail if interested.

Please do, I will appreciate. You can reach me on matatuman123 at gmail dot com. I might just take the plunge before someone makes some roadside declaration. One other question, what happens if your sacco has exhausted it's allocation?
Prime
#250 Posted : Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:41:16 PM

done. I am not sure about the exhaustion of allocations as for now. But I know someone somewhere in this republic knows.
Rankaz13
#251 Posted : Thursday, February 27, 2014 10:45:15 PM

matatuman wrote:
Prime wrote:
matatuman wrote:
Prime wrote:
jerry wrote:
Prime wrote:

Please do, I will appreciate. You can reach me on matatuman123 at gmail dot com. I might just take the plunge before someone makes some roadside declaration. One other question, what happens if your sacco has exhausted it's allocation?

The TLB is supposed to do an audit to reconcile the figures of 'vacancies' allocated, those that were filled and in case any weren't filled, they are reallocated. For this reason, SACCOs have been asked to make some returns showing the vehicles they have under them, etc. However, no word as yet on how long this will take.
matatuman
#252 Posted : Thursday, March 06, 2014 10:37:19 AM

@Jerry: have you succeeded in getting TLB?
jerry
#253 Posted : Thursday, March 06, 2014 2:09:40 PM

matatuman wrote:

Sorry to keep you waiting but I decided to put it on OLX on 27/02/2014. It's registered as a van and advance tax paid for a van (not matatu). My SACCO manager either didn't know the "new rules" or didn't want to tell me. If I dispose it I can bring another one as I seek info on the regulations.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
jerry
#254 Posted : Thursday, March 06, 2014 11:52:08 PM

jerry wrote:
matatuman wrote:

Sorry to keep you waiting but I decided to put it on OLX on 27/02/2014. It's registered as a van and advance tax paid for a van (not matatu). My SACCO manager either didn't know the "new rules" or didn't want to tell me. If I dispose it I can bring another one as I seek info on the regulations.

I have today perused through concluded deals on Japan-partner and I noted that HiAce prices have gone up since I acquired mine in December. I'm tempted to increase the "asking price" on OLX.
Rankaz13
#255 Posted : Friday, March 07, 2014 8:43:29 AM

jerry wrote:
jerry wrote:
matatuman wrote:

I have today perused through concluded deals on Japan-partner and I noted that HiAce prices have gone up since I acquired mine in December. I'm tempted to increase the "asking price" on OLX.

Jana niliona KBY/H na ni ya Meru route. How are these guys getting them?
matatuman
#256 Posted : Friday, March 07, 2014 9:01:09 AM

Rankaz13 wrote:
jerry wrote:
jerry wrote:
matatuman wrote:

Jana niliona KBY/H na ni ya Meru route. How are these guys getting them?

Thats my question too. Maybe Jerry can assist us by telling us what documents/requirements he was missing and what documents he presented at the point of registration.
Prime
#257 Posted : Friday, March 07, 2014 9:59:30 AM

Jerry, Raha shuttles have several KBYs. I highly doubt they are almost exhausting their allocated maximum allowable vehicles considering they did not buy many nguruwes (townace). I also did the van inspection in mombasa in order to get my number plates. What is required are the chevrons, reflectors, PSV advance tax etc. But I still had to re-do the inspection, this time not van but matatu inspection. Before that i had to fit the seats, seatbelts, speed governor, route. Only After the inspection did I do the branding of the mat. Among the items required for TLB is the matatu Inspection certificate, speed governor certificate, Letter from the sacco, Valid insurance (Matatu insurance). I hope that all will be well. That you will get a good price for the unit. Though You would definitely get a much better price if it was registered. As in uuze ikiwa kwa lami.
matatuman
#258 Posted : Friday, March 07, 2014 2:38:57 PM

@Jerry, what document was missing or what explanation were you given for it to end up being registered as a van?
jerry
#259 Posted : Friday, March 07, 2014 7:28:41 PM

Prime wrote:
Jerry, Raha shuttles have several KBYs. I highly doubt they are almost exhausting their allocated maximum allowable vehicles considering they did not buy many nguruwes (townace). I also did the van inspection in mombasa in order to get my number plates. What is required are the chevrons, reflectors, PSV advance tax etc. But I still had to re-do the inspection, this time not van but matatu inspection. Before that i had to fit the seats, seatbelts, speed governor, route. Only After the inspection did I do the branding of the mat. Among the items required for TLB is the matatu Inspection certificate, speed governor certificate, Letter from the sacco, Valid insurance (Matatu insurance). I hope that all will be well. That you will get a good price for the unit. Though You would definitely get a much better price if it was registered. As in uuze ikiwa kwa lami.

@Prime, You've understood the process of matatu registration very clearly. How much would someone expect to make on a single van? If I have to put it on the road it means I exclude those who may be interested in the van for other uses!
jerry
#260 Posted : Friday, March 07, 2014 7:37:38 PM

matatuman wrote:
@Jerry, what document was missing or what explanation were you given for it to end up being registered as a van?

I didn't have a lot of cash so I wanted to get it out of the port as fast as possible. The delay beyond the four days given to remove it from port cost me 25k. I would have to pay 10,080 (I paid 2,640/=) advance tax and fit seats, speed governor, chevrons, painting...