wazua Thu, May 9, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

47 Pages«<1011121314>»
Matatu Business
Rankaz13
#221 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:00:54 AM

Mkimwa wrote:
Excellent knowledge sharing..

I should start one for my area of interest, long distance transport.. aka trucks!

This would be most welcome mblo. I'd be most interested to learn about it as I, too, dream of venturing in that direction.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
wilyum
#222 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:09:14 AM

Mkimwa wrote:
Excellent knowledge sharing..

I should start one for my area of interest, long distance transport.. aka trucks!

@mkimwa, hebu start asap,some of us are very much interested in this
Prime
#223 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:48:59 AM

Following keenly.
vmartin
#224 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:08:15 AM

Mamboz,i'm interestd in purchasing a KBG 14 seater mat 4 twn service in Msa.The owner has asked 4 600k negotiable.Wat shud i luk out 4 to get a gud deal.(P.S am a newbie in this industry and wud appreciate anyone advice)
jerry
#225 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:03:34 PM

vmartin wrote:
Mamboz,i'm interestd in purchasing a KBG 14 seater mat 4 twn service in Msa.The owner has asked 4 600k negotiable.Wat shud i luk out 4 to get a gud deal.(P.S am a newbie in this industry and wud appreciate anyone advice)

You need a mechanic to check the condition of the vehicle and a good neighbour who can give you advice on how to supervise your driver and conductor.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
Prime
#226 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:48:06 PM

jerry wrote:
vmartin wrote:

You need a mechanic to check the condition of the vehicle and a good neighbour who can give you advice on how to supervise your driver and conductor.

That mechanic needs to be a brother or forget about it. 90% of the times the mechanic will always signal the seller on what his cut is for him to approve the status. Regardless of the mechanical condition. As long as he has a cut then well and good. Hata kama ni mkebe atakubali since he will eat from the same car. you are better of with a person who is very very good with cars.
Prime
#227 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:03:09 PM

jerry, matatuman, ranksz and the rest of the mad fellows...

matatuman
#228 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:58:01 PM

Prime wrote:
jerry wrote:
vmartin wrote:

That mechanic needs to be a brother or forget about it. 90% of the times the mechanic will always signal the seller on what his cut is for him to approve the status. Regardless of the mechanical condition. As long as he has a cut then well and good. Hata kama ni mkebe atakubali since he will eat from the same car. you are better of with a person who is very very good with cars.

600k for a kbg is suspicious, the seller should be quoting around 900 to 1m, but then again, it depends on the vehicles condition. Simplest check you can do yourself to see if the engine burns oil "kunywa oil", switch on the car then pull out the dip stick while the engine is running, oil should not be bubbling up the dipstick hole, rev the engine moderately and observe, it shouldn't bubble or rise at all up that shaft. Next is a simple compression test, while engine is idling, unfasten the oil cap on top of the engine then leave it on top. It should fasten itself, not tightly but enough for you to notice. If it doesn't do that hiyo engine itaitisha piston rings, you dont want to start by overhauling the engine immediately after buying.
subaru
#229 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 5:30:38 PM

matatu man thanks for the info about the oil cap i wish i knew that before spoiling my previous engine it was good only kunywaing oil after several days i attempted to make it perfect by overhauling it only for it to start spitting oil through the dipstick @ mombasa man 600 something not gd about it
Rankaz13
#230 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:50:28 PM

vmartin wrote:

Naona ushapewa mawaidha tayari. I don't know about the others, for me I began shopping around for a reliable mechanic/garage about a year before I ever bought my first unit. It helped that he was already well known to a relative and so I got to know him via my relative's referral.

At one time when I wanted to buy a used 3L shark, I asked my mechanic to accompany me. Since the vehicle was in active use, we waited for it at its bus stop and had a look at it's general physical condition (the body and underside) and, perhaps most importantly, checked the behavior of the temperature gauge.

Once satisfied with this, we then went ahead to check engine behavior as ably advised by @matatuman above (hiyo story ya oil cap as well as dipstick) and also checked whether it 'smoked' too much when revved. Tulipotosheka na hayo, only then did we ask for the owner's contact details and set up an appointment with him before we went back home. He turned out to be a very nice and amiable fellow and actually drove over 400kms to get the vehicle to me (this long journey gave me one last chance to observe the behavior of the temperature gauge before taking possession). Of course, in the intervening period, we'd already checked KRA details and I made sure my mech was there as I took possession of it. That engine gave me 2yrs of service before I overhauled and later changed it, which I considered satisfactory.

Though price might be an indicator of quality, it certainly isn't the only one. saa zingine unaweza pata chuma nzuri at bargain prices. Just don't be alone when you view it. Have a trusted mech as well as another pal knowledgeable on vehicles with you. The extra pairs of eyes will certainly not be a waste.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
matatuman
#231 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:50:20 PM

Anyone with a petrol box we compare notes? (TRH200 chassis). Consumption for mine is similar to my 5Ls. The diesel box is however less thirsty and has better torque.

My route is however relatively short and level so i am not sure how the petrol engine would perform on a long route with significant mountain sections. I however see no difference in terms of operating costs between the diesel box and the petrol box since the service intervals on the petrol are significantly longer and cheaper as compared to the diesel.The savings i make on the diesel at the pump are cancelled by service costs.
jerry
#232 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 11:38:12 PM

matatuman wrote:
Anyone with a petrol box we compare notes? (TRH200 chassis). Consumption for mine is similar to my 5Ls. The diesel box is however less thirsty and has better torque.

My route is however relatively short and level so i am not sure how the petrol engine would perform on a long route with significant mountain sections. I however see no difference in terms of operating costs between the diesel box and the petrol box since the service intervals on the petrol are significantly longer and cheaper as compared to the diesel.The savings i make on the diesel at the pump are cancelled by service costs.

I hope you are using oil from Total!
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
Prime
#233 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:13:00 AM

jerry wrote:
matatuman wrote:

Jerry, I have been using Total's Quartz 9000 (Synthetic which is used on both Petrol and diesel engines). Im however not sure of the draining interval. The total guys tell me to drain at 6000 kms instead of 9000 and my mechanic tells me to drain at 5000. The mechanic says that we will measure the quantity of oil drained out before he can accept the 6000. Though I prefer to do 5000 and service at the first chance I get as long as it does not get to 5500. Your thoughts? I am also wondering where I can get the quartz oil at wholesale prices. Each service consumes 5220 in oil alone
matatuman
#234 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:24:29 AM

Prime wrote:
jerry wrote:
matatuman wrote:

Jerry, I have been using Total's Quartz 9000 (Synthetic which is used on both Petrol and diesel engines). Im however not sure of the draining interval. The total guys tell me to drain at 6000 kms instead of 9000 and my mechanic tells me to drain at 5000. The mechanic says that we will measure the quantity of oil drained out before he can accept the 6000. Though I prefer to do 5000 and service at the first chance I get as long as it does not get to 5500. Your thoughts? I am also wondering where I can get the quartz oil at wholesale prices. Each service consumes 5220 in oil alone

I use Quartz 9000 for the petrol, service interval at 9K. For the diesel i use Quartz 5000, service interval at 3K. For the 5Ls i use Quartz 5000 with an interval of 3K. Only thing i change midway for the petrol is the air filter.

http://www.vacmotorsport...ynthetic-engine-oil.htm
Prime
#235 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2014 10:00:18 AM

matatuman wrote:
Prime wrote:
jerry wrote:
matatuman wrote:

I use Quartz 9000 for the petrol, service interval at 9K. For the diesel i use Quartz 5000, service interval at 3K. For the 5Ls i use Quartz 5000 with an interval of 3K. Only thing i change midway for the petrol is the air filter.

Why not the quartz 9000 for the diesels too? Do you have a place where you buy them at wholesale or do you just buy at the total stations?
matatuman
#236 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2014 10:30:50 AM

Prime wrote:
matatuman wrote:
Prime wrote:
jerry wrote:
matatuman wrote:

Why not the quartz 9000 for the diesels too? Do you have a place where you buy them at wholesale or do you just buy at the total stations?

No specific reason, i have historically used the 5000 even with the 5L engines, i guess its a case of "not easy to teach an old dog new tricks". But now that you have asked, i might just switch coz the price difference isn't much. I buy them from Total stations.
Kipkorir
#237 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:59:17 AM

Prime wrote:
matatuman wrote:
Prime wrote:
jerry wrote:
matatuman wrote:

Thanks guys for your enlightening topics. I am getting that nearly everyone is using oil from total. What is your take on Oil Rimula from Shell. I have been using it and i have had no issues. Shade some light on benefits of Oil from Total. My matatu is a diesel engine 3L.
pkn
Prime
#238 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2014 12:30:39 PM

I think that bora you service on time and with genuine products then one is good to go. I however feel that generally modern engines, especially turbocharged and supercharged ones do better with synthetic. Google on the comparison between synthetic, semi-synthetic and mineral oils. The small price difference is worth every shilling.
Kipkorir
#239 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:40:57 PM

vmartin wrote:

KBG at 600K?! that is very suspect. How many miles as per the Odometer? Engine status in terms of oil consumption? is it overheating? General body work? You need a genius mech to ispect and ascertain all that.
pkn
vmartin
#240 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2014 5:19:45 PM

Thank you guyz for all the info.Am now wiser
smile