Matatu Business
matatuman
#201 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 10:46:47 AM

jerry wrote:
matatuman wrote:
jerry wrote:
Prime wrote:
jerry wrote:
@Jerry Looks like both IBC and KRA had you for dinner. But dont worry its a learning experience. I am keen on how the TLB license goes plus if there has been any change at all with regards to the documents required to register a 14 seater. Whats your route?

Mau-Meru-Nairobi.
It looks pricey due to "just tax" for a 2007/08 van.

Fully agree. Current levels for 2007 autos has gone back to ranges of around 13000. So sio mbaya. Looking forward to learning from you too. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle! Another one is that you can never beat the pioneer meaning that I appreciate those who "openned by eyes".

Maybe I am out of touch with the market, last vehicle I imported arrived in December. My psychological limit for an auto box then was USD 9150. I also managed to get a clean petrol box for USD 8800. In the first instance I got the van from Autocom Japan. In the second it was from Tomisho. We have about four more boxes in our shuttle that came from Tomisho with prices between 9000 and 9500. Mileage of the said vehicles range between 160k and 220 k as at the time of importation. I generally look for vehicles with mileage around 150k plus or minus 10.

When you, @matatuman, say last time you imported a box I say first time I imported a vehicle! There must be a difference in bargaining power. A did it from the auction and it had a grade of 3,5! As I said I know (from Japan-partner) what IBC paid for it. I'm ok with my deal and it's much better than getting it from Msa.

Sorry Jerry I am not criticizing you, I am just sharing the info coz it may be useful to someone else out there. One thing I have learnt over time is that we tend to lose more as individuals by not sharing information. For me it makes sense to share the prices I bought at and from which exporters. If you check with Al ain today, they will send you quotes of 13k, check with autocom and you will get anything from 9k to 11k. You would be surprised I haven't imported that many vehicles, I am just patient, never in a hurry and we all know the average salesman has a target and he is bound to sell at some point.
jerry
#202 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 12:31:55 PM

matatuman wrote:
jerry wrote:
matatuman wrote:
jerry wrote:
Prime wrote:
jerry wrote:
@Jerry Looks like both IBC and KRA had you for dinner. But dont worry its a learning experience. I am keen on how the TLB license goes plus if there has been any change at all with regards to the documents required to register a 14 seater. Whats your route?

Mau-Meru-Nairobi.

Fully agree. Current levels for 2007 autos has gone back to ranges of around 13000. So sio mbaya. Looking forward to learning from you too. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle! Another one is that you can never beat the pioneer meaning that I appreciate those who "openned by eyes".

Maybe I am out of touch with the market, last vehicle I imported arrived in December. My psychological limit for an auto box then was USD 9150. I also managed to get a clean petrol box for USD 8800. In the first instance I got the van from Autocom Japan. In the second it was from Tomisho. We have about four more boxes in our shuttle that came from Tomisho with prices between 9000 and 9500. Mileage of the said vehicles range between 160k and 220 k as at the time of importation. I generally look for vehicles with mileage around 150k plus or minus 10.

When you, @matatuman, say last time you imported a box I say first time I imported a vehicle! There must be a difference in bargaining power. A did it from the auction and it had a grade of 3,5! As I said I know (from Japan-partner) what IBC paid for it. I'm ok with my deal and it's much better than getting it from Msa.

Sorry Jerry I am not criticizing you, I am just sharing the info coz it may be useful to someone else out there. One thing I have learnt over time is that we tend to lose more as individuals by not sharing information. For me it makes sense to share the prices I bought at and from which exporters. If you check with Al ain today, they will send you quotes of 13k, check with autocom and you will get anything from 9k to 11k. You would be surprised I haven't imported that many vehicles, I am just patient, never in a hurry and we all know the average salesman has a target and he is bound to sell at some point.

I see what you mean but I thought IBC was good in terms of customer service, quality and general disclosures. I thought Al Ain was one of the cheapest!
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
matatuman
#203 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 3:04:42 PM

jerry wrote:
matatuman wrote:
jerry wrote:
matatuman wrote:
jerry wrote:
Prime wrote:
jerry wrote:

Mau-Meru-Nairobi.

I see what you mean but I thought IBC was good in terms of customer service, quality and general disclosures. I thought Al Ain was one of the cheapest!

agreed, ibc customer service and their online tracking portal are second to none. Quality is debatable, I find some of their vehicles having too many dents and scratches which they always disclose. But just because they disclose doesnt justify their charging a premium. I avoid al ain because a pal imported from them but they sent the documents through a local motor dealer. You can get reasonably priced vehicles by shopping around, plus when I bargain I go flat out and demand to see condition of things like tyres, if interior needs paint touch up even if I know I wont paint it plus original auction sheet.
SittingPretty
#204 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 3:26:36 PM

Thiong'o wrote:
At the Total Motorshow (KICC) sometimes in September, CICA Motors had nice buses on display; they don’t do the body building bit but can contract and deliver a complete unit build as per specifications.

and @ Robinhood noted costs vary depending on the type of body.

This is the DUTY PAID quotation send to me from the company;

HD72 Chasis Cab 3,127,000
Options /Accessories
Vehicle Registration 25,000
Bus Body 1,050,000

Total 4,202,000

Any one who has imported an ex japan 29/33 seater for matatu business?
Am thinking of getting one for Mombasa town service.
Timely advice is as lovely as golden apples in a silver basket. Proverbs 25:11
jerry
#205 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:46:12 PM

SittingPretty wrote:
Thiong'o wrote:
At the Total Motorshow (KICC) sometimes in September, CICA Motors had nice buses on display; they don’t do the body building bit but can contract and deliver a complete unit build as per specifications.

and @ Robinhood noted costs vary depending on the type of body.

This is the DUTY PAID quotation send to me from the company;

HD72 Chasis Cab 3,127,000
Options /Accessories
Vehicle Registration 25,000
Bus Body 1,050,000

Total 4,202,000

Any one who has imported an ex japan 29/33 seater for matatu business?
Am thinking of getting one for Mombasa town service.

And that you only pay VAT on such buses?
Sagemtablet
#206 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 11:02:50 AM

Hello everyone,keep up the Wazua spirit,everybody is doing a good job by sharing business ideas. I am having the same thoughts as Thiongo, now that the 14 seaters are no longer getting TLBs I am thinking of a 33 seater to preferably operate in Nairobi - Kikuyu route, when I inquired around I was informed that most people get local isuzus for 4 M (Without seats, seatbelts, governor e.t.c) I am thinking it would be way cheaper to import. Anybody who has ever imported and is there anybody who operates Metrotrans minibuses to share the experience?
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
washiku
#207 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 9:48:49 PM

Sagemtablet wrote:
Hello everyone,keep up the Wazua spirit,everybody is doing a good job by sharing business ideas. I am having the same thoughts as Thiongo, now that the 14 seaters are no longer getting TLBs I am thinking of a 33 seater to preferably operate in Nairobi - Kikuyu route, when I inquired around I was informed that most people get local isuzus for 4 M (Without seats, seatbelts, governor e.t.c) I am thinking it would be way cheaper to import. Anybody who has ever imported and is there anybody who operates Metrotrans minibuses to share the experience?

As you continue the search exercise, you may be interested in visiting Toyota's yard at South C, pale Bellevue.
SittingPretty
#208 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 10:25:04 AM

washiku wrote:
Sagemtablet wrote:

As you continue the search exercise, you may be interested in visiting Toyota's yard at South C, pale Bellevue.

@Washiku whats on offer at the Toyota yard?
Meanwhile I have seen just a handful Toyotas (ex Kindergarten buses)pre 2007 on SBT going between $20,000-$25,000. Any one with an idea of the tax estimates, experience.....
Timely advice is as lovely as golden apples in a silver basket. Proverbs 25:11
jerry
#209 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 9:41:17 PM

Outvestor wrote:
Prime wrote:
By the way guys lets keep each other updated on the sourcing of the "new governors". I know come march, there is bound to be a rush for them and a shortage as usual.

Some starting point...

Any1 sighting a KBY**** kindly post the observation here!
Prime
#210 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 10:16:37 AM

Outvestor wrote:
Prime wrote:
By the way guys lets keep each other updated on the sourcing of the "new governors". I know come march, there is bound to be a rush for them and a shortage as usual.

Some starting point...

Talked to the guys the day they first posted it. Told me 30k for the governor/Speed recorder. I felt I needed to compare with other authorized re-sellers. though im yet to get any. How I wish our saccos could do a collective bargaining deal for their vehicles. Sad but ours will always make a deal that will be beneficial to them. Not to the members. Case in point is that the guys contract some tracking guys who are installing the trackers at 35k +10k yearly renewal whereas equally good tracking systems are retailing at 20k one off installation.
matatuman
#211 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 9:55:24 PM

Prime wrote:
Outvestor wrote:
Prime wrote:

Some starting point...

Talked to the guys the day they first posted it. Told me 30k for the governor/Speed recorder. I felt I needed to compare with other authorized re-sellers. though im yet to get any. How I wish our saccos could do a collective bargaining deal for their vehicles. Sad but ours will always make a deal that will be beneficial to them. Not to the members. Case in point is that the guys contract some tracking guys who are installing the trackers at 35k +10k yearly renewal whereas equally good tracking systems are retailing at 20k one off installation.

Do not purchase a tracker that requires you to be on the internet to track your vehicle or one that requires you to pay periodic subscription. As for the governors, we chased the above guys, they approached our shuttle and said they will fit at 30k then give the officials 2k for each vehicle. We refused. I should have an answer on that by the end of the week. By the way looks like the new speed governors have inbuilt trackers.
matatuman
#212 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 9:57:15 PM

Prime wrote:
Outvestor wrote:
Prime wrote:

Some starting point...

Do not purchase a tracker that requires you to be on the internet to track your vehicle or one that requires you to pay periodic subscription. As for the governors, we chased the above guys, they approached our shuttle and said they will fit at 30k then give the officials 2k for each vehicle. We refused. I should have an answer on that by the end of the week. By the way looks like the new speed governors have inbuilt trackers.
washiku
#213 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 10:14:16 PM

SittingPretty wrote:
washiku wrote:
Sagemtablet wrote:

@Washiku whats on offer at the Toyota yard?
Meanwhile I have seen just a handful Toyotas (ex Kindergarten buses)pre 2007 on SBT going between $20,000-$25,000. Any one with an idea of the tax estimates, experience.....

They are assembling the 51 sitters and selling them at about 6.5M. They are soon starting the 33 sitters. They are also allowing you to pay 10% and the rest is paid monthly through your preffered sacco, which they have to approve.
washiku
#214 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 10:16:52 PM

By the way, how are your saccos preparing for the 1st July cashless payment?
Rankaz13
#215 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 11:22:57 PM

matatuman wrote:
Prime wrote:
Outvestor wrote:
[quote=Prime]By the way guys lets keep each other updated on the sourcing of the "new governors". I know come march, there is bound to be a rush for them and a shortage as usual.

Some starting point...

True, they do. Talked to some guys who told me the reason NTSA/Min of Transport insisted on both this as well as a kawaida tracker is coz they wanted each system to function as a back-up of the other.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Prime
#216 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 2:37:58 PM

Matatuman... out of curiousity... wewe ni official wa sacco yenu? hehe. On the same issue, I spoke with someone who told me they could hook me up at 28k for the governor. I however wanted to know if I could buy, or pay a downpayment and have it fixed towards the end of march. I am waiting for the answer. I will call tomorrow. They however said that they could do at 25k as sacco negotiated rates.

Jerry, The guys at ngara tell me they have worked on some KBYs which have been registered. Im yet to see one on the road though. so i cant vouch for their statement yet.
jerry
#217 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 3:36:21 PM

Prime wrote:
Matatuman... out of curiousity... wewe ni official wa sacco yenu? hehe. On the same issue, I spoke with someone who told me they could hook me up at 28k for the governor. I however wanted to know if I could buy, or pay a downpayment and have it fixed towards the end of march. I am waiting for the answer. I will call tomorrow. They however said that they could do at 25k as sacco negotiated rates.

Jerry, The guys at ngara tell me they have worked on some KBYs which have been registered. Im yet to see one on the road though. so i cant vouch for their statement yet.

Thanks @Prime. I had actually been informed of a KBY 7**D(mine is KBY 8**A) operating in Meru though not sure of exact route. I'm also not sure of it's TLB status.
matatuman
#218 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 5:59:19 PM

Prime wrote:

I am not an official but I have significant clout.
Mkimwa
#219 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 10:14:53 PM

Excellent knowledge sharing..

I should start one for my area of interest, long distance transport.. aka trucks!
XSK
#220 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:41:48 AM

Mkimwa wrote:
Excellent knowledge sharing..

I should start one for my area of interest, long distance transport.. aka trucks!

good idea! waiting for this one. its always been my "side" dream.
You will know that you have arrived when money and time are not mutually exclusive "events" in you life!