Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

47 Pages«<89101112>»
Matatu Business
Prime
#181 Posted : Saturday, February 08, 2014 10:17:38 AM

matatuman wrote:
Prime wrote:

2. FUEL...

@Prime: A tracker will save you lots of headache with regards to trips and fuel. I suggest you go with tramigo. You dont need to be on the net. An android phone is all you need and you have a visual of your vehicle- map and exact location. Just my 2 cents. Worksheets never worked for me, all these drivers think they are smart.

Matatuman, what are tramigos terms? I wholly agree with you on the tracker thing solving half the problem. Let me post my general observation on our route and lets see how we can help each other out. When I first inquired form the stage attendants before I met Mzee Rankaz, they had told me that Every single day, every car usually gets a shimo and on the busy days at least 2 shimos (Picking from the stage for those who may float). However, That has not been the case. There are days one can even go for 2 days before seeing that shimo. Mind you it is a shuttle. That has necessitated a lot of "murengos" in between. They also have "specials" but one has to go through the unpopular routes to get the special. Which in essence means "murengo" again. My biggest issue has been the murengos. Unlike the stage where I can account for the cash, The murengo thing has been an itch in the a**. I have actually had to tell my driver that during murengo days, Hes should actually do 4 trips i.e. embu-nairobi, nairobi-embu, embu- nairobi and back to embu. My logic being this, Each murengo usually gets me 2500/2400 (That figure has never changed. Fuel per trip in in the ranges of 1300, the driver gets 600, the conductor 500, parking (Embu) is 100, Mara polisi 100. That means that for a murengo the 2 trips they make asubuhi and evening i usually end up with 2500x2 =5000- fuel 2300= 2700-salaries (600+500)=1600 - (*polisi + parking )=1400. Of course there are the unquantified costs like car deterioration, service interval reduction (thats like minus 280km). How do you guys deal with such issues. At least if I insisted that they do 4 trips the figure may get to the ranges of 3700. However, not all days are bad. There are days when they have combined the murengos plus shimos and brought net of 7k. Thats my current headache.
Prime
#182 Posted : Saturday, February 08, 2014 10:23:17 AM

Incidentally Im sure that there are guys in wazua who do town service or long distance mats that are on murengo fulltime. Whats the trick? Is it only based on targets? regardless of whether there are travellers on the roads?
jerry
#183 Posted : Saturday, February 08, 2014 3:11:32 PM

jerry wrote:
Prime wrote:
Jerry. You need to change your clearing agent ONCE YOU ARE DONE WITH THIS DEAL. He is obviously a let down. Let me pray that the car first month of registration is January 2007. Let me hope that your "agent" recommended a CFS that has a longer storage duration. 4 days is BAD especially if you ran into complications like I did with sbt. Did you forward the documents to the agent and he did not tell you about IDF, passport + ID for the Online PIN?
If the CFS will give you at least 15 days you will manage. If not then I suggest that you use a little cash to push things lest the demurrage accumulates sana as you clear the car. once you clear it let us know. We need to evaluate things and compare notes for the future. Usife moyo. Its called gaining experience.

@kysse, You surely have made a positive contribution. The following is not common knowledge... "This is why the idf application or the whole clearance process needs to start while goods are still on the high sea."
@Prime, Thanks. I'll report papa hapa. Someone has this signature "Before you can be old and wise you have to be young and stupid." I accept making some errors which are likely for a first timer.

Happy to report that my van is now cleared awaiting registration. As has been said it has to be inspectrd by MV inspector b4 registration. Big thanks to @importa for recommending an efficient and knowledgeable clearing agent.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
jerry
#184 Posted : Saturday, February 08, 2014 3:13:22 PM

Prime wrote:
Incidentally Im sure that there are guys in wazua who do town service or long distance mats that are on murengo fulltime. Whats the trick? Is it only based on targets? regardless of whether there are travellers on the roads?

Murengo must be for 14 seater not 10 seater. Ama aji?
Rankaz13
#185 Posted : Saturday, February 08, 2014 6:54:25 PM

jerry wrote:

Actually, ni zote. Happens especially during low season when there aren't many passengers (e.g Jan & Sept/Oct. The latter, in case I never told you @Prime, are the worst months on our route) or if there's an oversupply of vehicles so that not all are able to make a trip from the designated bus stop on a given day. The ones that remain will, naturally, overflow into the next day and this is when a decision for murengo (aka juu ya lami) is made.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
matatuman
#186 Posted : Saturday, February 08, 2014 7:01:42 PM

@Prime: Tramigo costs 20K to install, its a one time cost no monthly charges at all. Comes with a 2 year warranty. The tracking device uses a sim card which i only top up with 300 bob per month. Sim card has the 10bob per day for 200 sms bundle from Safcom. I would suggest you don't deal with the Tramigo Kenya Office. Their country manager is some idiot by the name Daniel Njau. Three of my units had failed last year coz of improper installation by his technician and the dude was evasive and not willing to honour the 24 month warranty. Had to go "psycho" with him and was sorted in a day after having waited for 2 months.

My reasons for saying Tramigo is good. Vehicle sends a trip start report if it moves for a distance of more than 300m. You can configure it to send location reports every x minutes/hours or every x km...whichever is convenient for you. If the vehicle stops for more than 15min or if it is switched off, it will send you a trip report that summarize distance, time, max speed etc. Really helped me do away with wayward drivers who couldn't be rehabilitated. I once had a driver who used to do town service in the evenings, thats when i realized trackers are a necessity not an option.

About Murengo, its a necessary evil but most drivers prefer it coz they pocket/steal more. On our route you will always get a chance to "beba kwa stage", only problem is at what time. So instead of waiting in line to beba at 4 in the evening if you are in Nairobi, you can go for a Murengo then come back coz its usually busy from the Muranga end. How i operate is give the drivers a minimum target for every Murengo trip. This i learnt by actually driving the mat myself. Every driver i get i tell them my figure for Murengo which is relatively high to what they normally bring, but still achievable. Thats usually the bait. They fall for it by complaining its too high. Then i tell them we'll go for the murengo with them. On most occasions i have hit and surpassed the figure. Those who cant put up usually quit. Please dont do this if you are not familiar with the route dynamics otherwise the driver will make a point of showing you how Murengo has no cash. When i do it, i drive the vehicle myself. My route is Muranga Nairobi. If the vehicle gets a slot kwa stage, i get anything between 2600 to 3250 one way depending on whether the fare is 200 or 250. For murengo, i insist on minimum 2k but they dont bring that always. Most bring 1800. The thugs among them can even bring you 1500 at which point i tell them "Naona ni kama kazi imekushinda". They get the point and style up. Everyone has a family to feed, they cant stand being fired. For Murengo, here is the maths, they will always get passengers to Thika, i have no conductor so thats 1400 off peak or around 2000 peak. Then thika to kenol then kenol to muranga. They always hit the 2k figure even on the days they bring me 1800. Highest i have made when i am with the vehicle on Murengo was 2400. A plus for me is no bribing of cops as part of the shuttle policy so driver never comes with stories about cops. And my vehicles are always in tip top condition, i never let a driver repair a vehicle for me. Overall i try to get a balance between a driver who "maintains the vehicle" while delivering reasonable returns.
Prime
#187 Posted : Sunday, February 09, 2014 9:20:59 AM

Rankaz13 wrote:
jerry wrote:

Actually, ni zote. Happens especially during low season when there aren't many passengers (e.g Jan & Sept/Oct. The latter, in case I never told you @Prime, are the worst months on our route) or if there's an oversupply of vehicles so that not all are able to make a trip from the designated bus stop on a given day. The ones that remain will, naturally, overflow into the next day and this is when a decision for murengo (aka juu ya lami) is made.

My driver refers to juu ya lami as "Leo wacha gari ichemke". hehehe. Let me hope I will have eased up a little come September/October. By the way guys lets keep each other updated on the sourcing of the "new governors". I know come march, there is bound to be a rush for them and a shortage as usual.
Prime
#188 Posted : Sunday, February 09, 2014 9:36:57 AM

Matatuman, when you do your murengos do you carry along a conductor? Do you search for guys to board yourself. I think the dynamics of the murang'a route are a little different. Huku embu we have so many murengo mats from both Embu and Meru. The moment you reach Makutano we have murengos from Nanyuki, Nyeri, Karatina, Naromoru, Kutus etc. The moment you fika Makutano Muran'ga mats join the bandwagon. Thika the same thing. Lakini the cookie will soon crumble. Cars will get less and less especially if they indeed stop the registration of 14 seaters and below. Those who will have maintained their mats will stand to reap over time. By the way, We guys should hook up some time. Hebu tu-organize a ka-matatu mbuzi...

@jerry. Glad to hear that things went on well. Congratulations mzee
jerry
#189 Posted : Sunday, February 09, 2014 10:27:19 AM

Prime wrote:
Matatuman, when you do your murengos do you carry along a conductor? Do you search for guys to board yourself. I think the dynamics of the murang'a route are a little different. Huku embu we have so many murengo mats from both Embu and Meru. The moment you reach Makutano we have murengos from Nanyuki, Nyeri, Karatina, Naromoru, Kutus etc. The moment you fika Makutano Muran'ga mats join the bandwagon. Thika the same thing. Lakini the cookie will soon crumble. Cars will get less and less especially if they indeed stop the registration of 14 seaters and below. Those who will have maintained their mats will stand to reap over time. By the way, We guys should hook up some time. Hebu tu-organize a ka-matatu mbuzi...

@Prime, Thanks. My van's 1st yr/month registration is 2007/08 and I sourced from the auction via IBC at USD10,800 CIF. Exchange rate was KES 86.90 to the dollar. That's about 940,000/= CIF Msa. Add ~800,000/= duty (import&excise,IDF...), inspection, registration, port charges, clearing... It comes to almost 1.85M. If not able to get TLB and given that it's likely to be a KBY...(different from those that came b4 expiry date of 31st Dec 2013) the Wazua community will have to assist me with alternative use of the huge "investment asset"! Selling to an institution is one such alternative.
The dealine is likely to be real and I hear it's like guys from Karatina,Nyeri, Murang'a have declared some interest in Meru Sharks(especially KARs ie old ones). They know that in Meru pple rush for new vans even when the old ones have good utility.

Good idea of wazua mbuzi and Meru/maua is a good place to start. Welcome!
matatuman
#190 Posted : Sunday, February 09, 2014 11:30:50 AM

Prime wrote:

I dont carry a conductor, usually rely on those roadside makangas, we call them "kamagira". But I usually leave that to the drivers discretion.
matatuman
#191 Posted : Sunday, February 09, 2014 12:41:58 PM

jerry wrote:
Prime wrote:

@Prime, Thanks. My van's 1st yr/month registration is 2007/08 and I sourced from the auction via IBC at USD10,800 CIF. Exchange rate was KES 86.90 to the dollar. That's about 940,000/= CIF Msa. Add ~800,000/= duty (import&excise,IDF...), inspection, registration, port charges, clearing... It comes to almost 1.85M. If not able to get TLB and given that it's likely to be a KBY...(different from those that came b4 expiry date of 31st Dec 2013) the Wazua community will have to assist me with alternative use of the huge "investment asset"! Selling to an institution is one such alternative.
The dealine is likely to be real and I hear it's like guys from Karatina,Nyeri, Murang'a have declared some interest in Meru Sharks(especially KARs ie old ones). They know that in Meru pple rush for new vans even when the old ones have good utility.

Good idea of wazua mbuzi and Meru/maua is a good place to start. Welcome!

@Jerry Looks like both IBC and KRA had you for dinner. But dont worry its a learning experience. I am keen on how the TLB license goes plus if there has been any change at all with regards to the documents required to register a 14 seater. Whats your route?
Prime
#192 Posted : Sunday, February 09, 2014 1:57:17 PM

Jerry. Dont worry. Majority of the guys pay beyond 2M for those cars. I hope it was a manual coz That price is a little high for an auto. The initial price from the auction was fair but you got the first month of registration wrong. You only get from Jan till the current month Plus 1. i.e. If we are in feb you should only buy Jan, feb or march car as the first month of registration, ans of course needless to say is that you only buy from the last allowed year of registration i.e. currently at 2007. Lakini usijali. you will come out sharper through the experience. Incidentally im informed that even on the embu route all shuttles below KBB have been told to remove them as shuttles and all 14 seaters below KBC have also been told to chomoa them. If IBC hasnt withdrawn the auction password keep it very well. Its the biggest asset you will have when purchasing a car in future. Even if not with IBC. Sawa if you are unable to get it registered guys will help out on what next. I also had to think on what next after I had been told it wouldnt be registered. Alternatives ziko.
jerry
#193 Posted : Sunday, February 09, 2014 2:33:12 PM

Prime wrote:
Jerry. Dont worry. Majority of the guys pay beyond 2M for those cars. I hope it was a manual coz That price is a little high for an auto. The initial price from the auction was fair but you got the first month of registration wrong. You only get from Jan till the current month Plus 1. i.e. If we are in feb you should only buy Jan, feb or march car as the first month of registration, ans of course needless to say is that you only buy from the last allowed year of registration i.e. currently at 2007. Lakini usijali. you will come out sharper through the experience. Incidentally im informed that even on the embu route all shuttles below KBB have been told to remove them as shuttles and all 14 seaters below KBC have also been told to chomoa them. If IBC hasnt withdrawn the auction password keep it very well. Its the biggest asset you will have when purchasing a car in future. Even if not with IBC. Sawa if you are unable to get it registered guys will help out on what next. I also had to think on what next after I had been told it wouldnt be registered. Alternatives ziko.

It's Auto. Remember you bought yours at USD10,400 and at a better exchange rate probably? What I'm happy about most is the experience and mine came direct from the auction. I know what IBC paid at the auction also as per Japan-Partner site. Wanataka watu wapeleke old vehicles wapi? They (Sacco officials) should tell us where to take the KBA...s.
jerry
#194 Posted : Sunday, February 09, 2014 2:50:44 PM

@Jerry Looks like both IBC and KRA had you for dinner. But dont worry its a learning experience. I am keen on how the TLB license goes plus if there has been any change at all with regards to the documents required to register a 14 seater. Whats your route?
[/quote]
Mau-Meru-Nairobi.
It looks pricey due to "just tax" for a 2007/08 van.
Prime
#195 Posted : Sunday, February 09, 2014 5:48:11 PM

jerry wrote:

Mau-Meru-Nairobi.
It looks pricey due to "just tax" for a 2007/08 van.[/quote]

Fully agree. Current levels for 2007 autos has gone back to ranges of around 13000. So sio mbaya. Looking forward to learning from you too.
jerry
#196 Posted : Sunday, February 09, 2014 6:45:56 PM

Prime wrote:
jerry wrote:

Mau-Meru-Nairobi.

Fully agree. Current levels for 2007 autos has gone back to ranges of around 13000. So sio mbaya. Looking forward to learning from you too. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle! Another one is that you can never beat the pioneer meaning that I appreciate those who "openned by eyes".
Rankaz13
#197 Posted : Sunday, February 09, 2014 7:02:39 PM

jerry wrote:
Prime wrote:
Jerry. Dont worry. Majority of the guys pay beyond 2M for those cars. I hope it was a manual coz That price is a little high for an auto. The initial price from the auction was fair but you got the first month of registration wrong. You only get from Jan till the current month Plus 1. i.e. If we are in feb you should only buy Jan, feb or march car as the first month of registration, ans of course needless to say is that you only buy from the last allowed year of registration i.e. currently at 2007. Lakini usijali. you will come out sharper through the experience. Incidentally im informed that even on the embu route all shuttles below KBB (it's KBA actually) have been told to remove them as shuttles and all 14 seaters below KBC have also been told to chomoa them. If IBC hasnt withdrawn the auction password keep it very well. Its the biggest asset you will have when purchasing a car in future. Even if not with IBC. Sawa if you are unable to get it registered guys will help out on what next. I also had to think on what next after I had been told it wouldnt be registered. Alternatives ziko.

It's Auto. Remember you bought yours at USD10,400 and at a better exchange rate probably? What I'm happy about most is the experience and mine came direct from the auction. I know what IBC paid at the auction also as per Japan-Partner site. Wanataka watu wapeleke old vehicles wapi? They (Sacco officials) should tell us where to take the KBA...s.

What it means gari zikitolewa is that they aren't allowed to ferry passengers from the main stage and so will be relegated to full-time murengos. I have my own reservations about that approach though.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
matatuman
#198 Posted : Sunday, February 09, 2014 9:43:03 PM

jerry wrote:
Prime wrote:
jerry wrote:

Mau-Meru-Nairobi.

Fully agree. Current levels for 2007 autos has gone back to ranges of around 13000. So sio mbaya. Looking forward to learning from you too. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle! Another one is that you can never beat the pioneer meaning that I appreciate those who "openned by eyes".

Maybe I am out of touch with the market, last vehicle I imported arrived in December. My psychological limit for an auto box then was USD 9150. I also managed to get a clean petrol box for USD 8800. In the first instance I got the van from Autocom Japan. In the second it was from Tomisho. We have about four more boxes in our shuttle that came from Tomisho with prices between 9000 and 9500. Mileage of the said vehicles range between 160k and 220 k as at the time of importation. I generally look for vehicles with mileage around 150k plus or minus 10.
jerry
#199 Posted : Sunday, February 09, 2014 10:29:12 PM

matatuman wrote:
jerry wrote:
Prime wrote:
jerry wrote:

Mau-Meru-Nairobi.

Maybe I am out of touch with the market, last vehicle I imported arrived in December. My psychological limit for an auto box then was USD 9150. I also managed to get a clean petrol box for USD 8800. In the first instance I got the van from Autocom Japan. In the second it was from Tomisho. We have about four more boxes in our shuttle that came from Tomisho with prices between 9000 and 9500. Mileage of the said vehicles range between 160k and 220 k as at the time of importation. I generally look for vehicles with mileage around 150k plus or minus 10.

When you, @matatuman, say last time you imported a box I say first time I imported a vehicle! There must be a difference in bargaining power. A did it from the auction and it had a grade of 3,5! As I said I know (from Japan-partner) what IBC paid for it. I'm ok with my deal and it's much better than getting it from Msa.
Outvestor
#200 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 12:46:05 AM

Prime wrote:
By the way guys lets keep each other updated on the sourcing of the "new governors". I know come march, there is bound to be a rush for them and a shortage as usual.

Some starting point...

¡ʇɹoɟɟǝ ƃuıɟɟǝ ǝɥʇ ɹoɟ ɥɔnɯ os ؛uıɐʌ uı ɔıqɐɹɐ ƃuıuɹɐǝן pǝıɹʇ ı