wazua Fri, May 17, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Kenyan Bank Ownership
VituVingiSana
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2010 2:16:04 AM

Who owns Commercial Bank of Africa (An impressive 65bn in assets)?

Who owns Southern Credit Bank?
And Equatorial Commercial Bank?
These will merge in 2010...
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
TUPAC
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2010 3:18:47 AM

CBA is owned by the Kenyatta family.
...things fall apart...the centre cannot hold..mere anarchy is loosed upon the world...w b yeats
sparkly
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2010 5:30:31 AM

Equatorial is part of meralli empire. Southern credit another muhindi bank
Life is short. Live passionately.
Gordon Gekko
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2010 11:11:28 AM

sparkly wrote:

In my books muhindi used in the above context is derogatory, wouldn't it sound better to call it an Asian bank - am I over-reacting?
guru267
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2010 11:19:41 AM

@GG it depends.. if it is an indian owned bank and since muhindi means "INDIAN" in swahili then i dont think its derogatory... if its asian owned not indian owned then yes....
Mark 12:29
Deuteronomy 4:16
Horton
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2010 12:08:05 PM

Gordon Gekko wrote:
sparkly wrote:

In my books muhindi used in the above context is derogatory, wouldn't it sound better to call it an Asian bank - am I over-reacting?

no GG you are not over-reacting. Most of them are 3-4th generation Kenyan and dont appreciate being called "muhindi" I have a bunch of friends in the community and a good number of them can't even speak hindi or gujerati..

what this guru says is not correct...why should he/she be called "INDIAN"(a citizen of India) yet, he/she still has to get a visa to go to India??
BTW, guru, "Indian" isnt a race, its a "Nationality"!! So are you trying to say that these banks are owned by "Indian (ie foreign) nationals"???

Another observation, most people my age(in their 20s) dont refer to others by their ethnicity or race....its some of the older guys n gals who start distinguishing people along ethnic/racial divides"huyo ni Mjaruo or muhindi etc"

I think the question was "who(as an individual)" rather than what race/ethnicity owns a particular bank

guru267
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2010 12:58:46 PM

@horton why all the hate towards me??? please read my post well before jumping your gun..

i dont even know who owns the bank i was merely saying that if @sparkly was talking about an indian from india it would be right to call him/her "muhindi" because the last i checked in the kamusi that was the word for "indian"

if @sparkly was talking about a kenyan of indian origin or any other kind of asian then it would not be right since they dont hold indian passports...

@horton just a point of info the word "indian" can mean race or nationality..
Mark 12:29
Deuteronomy 4:16
youcan'tstopusnow
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2010 1:45:31 PM

Kama mtu ni Mhindi ni Mhindi!
GOD BLESS YOUR LIFE
muganda
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:13:35 PM

youcan'tstopusnow wrote:
Kama mtu ni Mhindi ni Mhindi!

@youcan'tstopusnow, smart quip until you hear the phrase 'these Africans' or 'black people just don't get it'

@guru267, you must agree that it's possible to be both factually correct and disrespectful at the same time. @sparkly comment is often heard in Kenya but we can be more sensitive.
digitek1
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:25:43 PM

@ horton there is a book aptly titled the capitalist kneegrow that will dissuade you of the notion that a mhindi may be something else other than

ethnicity in banking is nothing new..all the banks in the federal reserve system are historically jewish
I may be wrong..but then I could be right
Phaoro
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:25:46 PM

How the word is used makes the difference. In this case I do not find it to be offensive, but I have heard it being used in a patronizing way before
Much Know
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2010 5:00:02 PM

I think this horton hates swahili and wants english only. Ati use asian instead of mhindi? Do you know the French have gender for things like chairs and spoons? Moral: don't critisize a language you clearly don't understand
A New Kenya
sparkly
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2010 5:00:17 PM

Gordon Gekko wrote:
sparkly wrote:

@GG i used the word as a merely descriptive term. A word of art not of science. To say in a few words that the individuals who own southern credit bank are kenyans who can trace their ancestry to the indian sub-continent. Just like i would say agha khan firm, kenyatta family firm, ndegwas, somens, kirubi, south african, chinese. A person familiar with the kenyan investment lingo would know what these terms mean. No racial undertones intended and certainly not mean't to be derogatory. My apologies if i offended you or anyone else.
Life is short. Live passionately.
muganda
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2010 5:40:01 AM

@sparkly smile peace. I see no offense was meant.

So which other small banks can we expect to merge? Not sure CBA would merge (noting its MPesa angle and Kenyatta family)

But what about say Chase Bank?
Djagame
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:12:10 AM

muganda wrote:
@sparkly smile peace. I see no offense was meant.

So which other small banks can we expect to merge? Not sure CBA would merge (noting its MPesa angle and Kenyatta family)

But what about say Chase Bank?

Chase Bank is associated with one Mr. James Gachui of Transcentury fame. He is one of the shareholders
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children" Native American Proverb
Dash
#16 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:39:52 AM

Southern credit does not belong to one simeon nyachae?
gk
#17 Posted : Saturday, April 03, 2010 8:41:17 AM

@ dash

...Nyachae's has interests in Credit Bank not S/Credit

@Muganda

..i doubt Chase would wish to merge coz these mergers are being driven largely by need to meet the min core capital of 1b by 2012. Chase has already reached it.

..other possible candidates for suitors are Fidelity, Credit Bank, govt owned Devt Bank, Transnational
Intelligentsia
#18 Posted : Tuesday, April 06, 2010 8:07:03 AM

Of the about 45 banks in Kenya, 35 are localy owned and 10 foreign owned with 3 of these having substantial GoK holding. Like them or not, the Asian-owned banks make up most of tier 2/ a lot of the locally owned banks in town. And a good no. of locally owned banks are run by families eg:

Merali - Equatorial Bank
Manu Chandaria - Fina (South Africans bought stake) & Guardian
Moi n Family - TransNational Bank
Total Man - Middle East Bank

Kenya's banking industry is growing, but is not yet mature.
The level of financial sophistication/ innovation is low - for instance, product-wise they offer almost the same products, showing little innovation/ creativity and thus making the quality of service delivery THE key differentiator. I mean all of them offer current and savings accounts, and the difference bewteen these at bank A or B is minimal, if any!
Some folks say the kenya banking sector is over-banked and we should do a Nigerian and reduce these to about 20 well-capitalised banks the way Nigerians reduced their 85 banks to abt 25 only. But even with all these 45 banks the level of unbanked kenyans is still high at >4m folks. Safaricom has happily snapped the 4m up on MPESA where the subscribers run online accounts.
But IMHO, M&As will be slow in happening despite the recent merger & acquisition of City Finance, as well as Southern Credit & Equatorial Bank's merger. Each bank clearly wants to retain its identity, painfully created over time. On the products/services front - mergers & acquisitions don't really bring home any new products or services as it is merely an acquisition of what has been established - take Stanbic for instance, so they acquired CFC but what new products have rolled of the new larger bank? Zit! Stanbic merely acquired CFC's large retail business/ brand.
Case of NBK?