wazua Fri, May 3, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

12 Pages<1234>»
Kenya Debt Watch
Scubidu
#21 Posted : Thursday, April 29, 2010 5:14:05 PM

We have looked at the recent treasury auctions, debt, inflation and now let's see if we can recap on some aspects of our GDP calculation. The World Bank website has the following to say about the GDP deflator “Inflation as measured by the annual growth rate of the GDP implicit deflator shows the rate of price change in the economy as a whole. The GDP implicit deflator is the ratio of GDP in current local currency to GDP in constant local currency”.

Therefore we can assume that if inflation goes down (CPI changes lowers) then GDP constant local currency goes up, so the GDP implicit deflator lowers (the above ratio). We can therefore see the real threat from inflation on GDP figures and this is represented in the World Bank figures below (as well as their estimates for 2009).

http://data.worldbank.or...cator/NY.GDP.DEFL.KD.ZG
http://data.worldbank.org/country/kenya

World Bank figures for Kenya's GDP Deflator

2000 - 6.1%
2001 - 1.6%
2002 - 0.9%
2003 - 6.2%
2004 - 7.1%
2005 - 5.2%
2006 - 7.4%
2007 - 4.7%
2008 - 13.1%
2009F - 12.5%
2010F - 7.5%

What is clear from World Bank figures is that inflation wrecked in 2008 and 2009 deflating GDP considerably but changes inflation seem more contained in 2010, any suggestions why? Fred Kaifosh writes more on this issue in his article titled "Why The Consumer Price Index Is Controversial" saying...

"The GDP, as an indicator of economic growth and the strength of an economy, is an important input for investors. The CPI plays a role in the determination of the real GDP; therefore, manipulation of the CPI could imply manipulation of the GDP because the CPI is used to deflate some of the nominal GDP components for the effects of inflation. CPI and GDP have an inverse relationship, so a lower CPI - and its inverse effect on GDP - could suggest to investors that the economy is stronger and healthier than it really is".

http://www.investopedia....7/consumerpriceindex.asp
“We are the middle children of history man, no purpose or place. We have no great war, no great depression. Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives!" – Tyler Durden
Scubidu
#22 Posted : Tuesday, May 04, 2010 3:48:20 PM

The brilliant ideas about bring on board 25 year treasury bonds, Eurobonds, Sukuk bonds and all manner of instruments to put the citizens under greater debt are welcome if used productively. Looking at the balance sheet of the CBK for February 2010 we can see that the Treasury held Ksh57 billion at CBK, however, based on the statements in the weekly bulletin "the implied tightness of interbank liquidity is attributed to a build up of government deposits at the Central Bank that initially peaked at Ksh89.7 billion on April 26, 2010 before declining to Ksh75.4 billion on April 29, 2010".

So the money is not being spent productively, in fact, not being spent at all, because the build up of government deposits is up Ksh 18 billion in the last two months. Why did the deposits peak on 26th April, becoz of the T-bond auction, so the CBK and Treasury decided to quickly spend/inject Ksh35.7 billion into the bank system in 4 days, Ksh14.3 billion as government spending, Ksh20.9 billion in reverse repo and Ksh 222.5 million on the overnight window. These are the magical tools CBK uses to tighten/loosen liquidity. Me thinks they should experiment paying interest on reserves like the Fed does.

See below:

http://www.centralbank.g...2010/April/30042010.pdf

What is our public debt figure? Let's estimate it at Ksh1.17 trillion, which means that the GDP must grow by 3.9% for debt productivity to be 1 (equal, 1 shilling kenyans pay in debt results in a shilling of income). Is this level of growth achievable? Yes, and we highlighted why in the previous post on the GDP deflator. What is the correlation between GDP deflator and changes in (current price) GDP growth? Between 2001 and 2008 I put the correlation at 0.84, meaning that if the deflator declines, it's likely that GDP market prices will not grow as fast as it did in 2008 and 2009. Is lower inflation expected to reduce the deflator? Yes, and some media reports suggest that this maybe a coordinated effort amongst regional economies.

Read more:

http://www.businessdaily...2/-/oolcswz/-/index.html
“We are the middle children of history man, no purpose or place. We have no great war, no great depression. Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives!" – Tyler Durden
VituVingiSana
#23 Posted : Wednesday, May 05, 2010 6:43:25 AM

@scubidu - I agree CBK (GoK) shud pay interest on deposits held with CBK... but you know that it is a political move (& abuse of power) coz CBK wants 'free' money...

CBK crying about 'high rates' should PAY interest on deposits to allow commercial banks to pass on the gains/savings to consumers...
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Scubidu
#24 Posted : Wednesday, May 05, 2010 8:08:25 AM

@vvs. your right it seems they want free money. if they wanted to reduce interest rates they would flood banks with money, increase govt spending, increase injections and stop borrowing. Think of it, banks would be extremely liquid, but what would they do with the money? Lend it to risky folks, stoke inflation.

But yes if they did pay interest on reserves, the banks would keep more of it at CBK and be forced to reciprocate to savers. What would they set the rate at, I wonder? Interbank and reverse repo are at 2.5%, maybe a few bp higher than that. Does MIA Kizee have an opinion?

I recently visited the Library at Nation Centre to read old economics-related newspaper articles from 1992-1996. You've been alive much longer than me, did you ever remember CBK paying interest on reserves between 1992/93...i think i read that somewhere (can't find the doc again).
Scubidu
#25 Posted : Sunday, May 09, 2010 9:52:21 PM

Kenya’s gross domestic debt as at June financial year ends from 2000 to 2010 are:

Year – Billions (% growth)
2000 – 206 (+18.2%)
2001 – 212 (+2.8%)
2002 – 236 (+11.4%)
2003 – 289 (+22.6%)
2004 – 306 (+5.8%)
2005 – 315 (+2.7%)
2006 – 358 (+13.8%)
2007 – 405 (+13.1%)
2008 – 431 (+6.4%)
2009 – 518 (+20.4%)
2010 – 654 (+26.1%)

The focus in international markets has been on debt; the growth of Kenya’s domestic debt in 2010 has been phenomenal. The growth in the month of April has been especially high up 5.9% (36.5 billion) since March. The CBK decision to pursue an expansionary policy has meant they monetize the budget deficit by adjusting the monetary base (reserves). Below are example from the last six weeks that show CBK weekly injections and overnight lending.

Starting week – RRepo Injections (Overnight Window)

March 26 – 8.0 billion (5.476 billion)
April 01 – 10.5 billion (920 million)
April 09 – 7.8 billion (986 million)
April 16 – 12.8 billion (zero)
April 23 – 24.7 billion (584 million)
April 30 – 24.4 billion (222.5 million)
May 07 – 17.6 billion (280 million)

The oversubscription of Treasury auctions has been attributed to banks being too liquid-clearly the above figures show how much CBK is willing accommodate. Today’s reserve money at 177.2 billion is below CBK target, compare this to reserve money levels of 178.9 billion as at 31st March 2010-The funds raised by Treasury are not spent but accumulated. Q1 results from NIC Bank and KCB show huge investments in government securities (don’t have Equity results on me). KCB’s Q1 investment went up 47% (12b) in ‘10, while NIC’s was up 50% (2b) outperforming normal loan growth (we have already questioned credibility of household lending stats in other posts). It’s proved lucrative for banks, they receive support on value dates, NSE bond prices of certain 5 year papers are up 10% today since the end of 2009 while some of those 15 year bonds are up over 25%.

CBK may not have a bond auction in June, I’m guessing most emergencies are taken care of. Demand for T-bill will continue to be high, with funds being diverted to short term paper. Short term rates continue to fall, 91D trading at 4.498% today, cud possibly reach 3% in line with so-called inflation. Food inflation is down considerably, but the new CPI only covers the last 14 months so can’t compare food inflation to any stats b4 Feb 2009. Do we have a debt problem? Well domestic debt is up 31% y-o-y, GDP has to grow by 4.4% for debt to be productive at minimum & interest payments on domestic debt are already up 30%. To examine debt growth for yourself, read the CBK bulletin below:

http://www.centralbank.g...etin/2010/May/070510.pdf
Wa_ithaka
#26 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 6:57:46 AM

Are those debt numbers inflation adjusted?
The Governor of Nyeri - 2017
Scubidu
#27 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 7:24:43 AM

Not inflation adjusted unfortunately. Which inflation series should I apply? The new one or old one? Apples/oranges.
Wa_ithaka
#28 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 7:29:06 AM

He he.

use a proxy-maybe 10%
tonicasert
#29 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 8:37:06 AM

@Scubidu
The bank deposits held with Central Bank are a monetary tool used to manage the economy. I dont know of a Central Bank (I may be wrong), that pays interest on this deposit - i.e. Cash Ratio Reserve.

Case 1: When NARC won the elections sometime back, Mwiraria, who was the Finance Minister, reduced CRR from 10% to 6% i.e. banks were now required to hold the 6% of their deposits with CBK (at no return). The end result> Banks were flooded with cash, and thats when Personal loans and all sorts of loans kicked off, and we ended up with a growing economy.

Case 2: China and India have been leading inthe economic recovery out of the current recession, and their economies are currently showing signs of over heating with inflation. Recently, PBoC and RBI raised interest rates, as well as Cash Ratio Reserve> Banks are now required to keep more funds with CB at no return. End result is less loans dished out, less money in circulation, and a checked inflation.
Wa_ithaka
#30 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 9:13:19 AM

tonicasert-some central banks use the CAR as a reward tool when they need to reduce liquidity from the economy or to encourage banks to use the Central Bank-held reserves as part of their liquidity profile
Scubidu
#31 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 11:01:32 AM

@Wa_ithaka. Even with a proxy of 10%, how can one deflate debt btw? Maybe one can deflate the interest payments on our debt but not the debt itself. If u owe something, is remains unchanged over time, repaid in full.

@tonicasert. Do you think CBK can raise the cash ratio upwards like the PBoC and RBI? They wud need a goldenberg style inflation scenario to do so.

You mentioned that they required to "keep more funds with CB at no return. End result is less loans dished out, less money in circulation, and a checked inflation". What Treasury is doing now is a less permanent solution than what you've mentioned above, but essentially the same, in that they're using govt borrowing to keep more funds at CBK at no return. The biggest consequence is that our debt is climbing and thus interest payments (coming out of taxes).

Wouldn't the easier option be not increasing debt but paying banks say 4% to keep deposits at CBK instead of 10% on a 10 year bond. Does that make sense? Seems cheaper?
tonicasert
#32 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 1:45:03 PM

I may have misunderstood, but basically CRR is part of the monetary tools that CBK uses to control money supply in the medium term. Other tools it uses is repo and reverse repo for the short term, and CD's (which are deposits by banks that earn interest - not sure whether they still exist). On fiscal side, Treasury borrows from the public through CBK via T-bills and bonds, to cover for their capital and recurrent expenditure, and repaid through taxes.

Paying all deposits to banks as opposed to taking bonds would be detrimental to the economy, as GoK would be competing with the prvt sector for funds. Secondly, 4% would imply short term facility, if we're to go by the yield curve, otherwise banks will still ask for the 10% to keep 10 yr deposits, considering GoK needs long term borrowings to manage cashflow, which is usually rolled over on maturity.

All in all, there is a very thin, and hazy line between CBK & GoK (Treasury), as CBK hasnt been given full independence as in other countries.
Scubidu
#33 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 3:35:01 PM

@tonicasert. I'm learning a lot from you...thanks. I hope I'm also not confusing myself. So changing the CRR is permanent. Repos and term auction facility are temporary. They both result in cash injections to commercial banks. I think the term auction facility (CD) was last used in mid-2008 to lengthen the maturity period.

If we look at the issue of paying banks interest on their deposits at CBK, it would not be a short term facility, it would be a periodic permanent injection (just like CRR, immediate). The idea would be not to meddle with interest rates but give banks revenue. Banks would record this income as interest income. However, a budget would be set by Parliament to agree how much free money is injected as income at anyone time. So the interest paid has a budget & CBK is permanently raising the money supply; that money supply rise will be less than if a commercial bank was allowed to lend reserves willy-nilly. I wonder if that makes sense?

Read more:

http://www.reuters.com/a...e/idUSN0716842120080508

On the fiscal side, Treasury borrows from public to fund budget deficits; but couldn't it also use it to reduce bank liquidity-Treasury issues a bond, cash goes from banks to CBK. In order for banks to have that cash back, Treasury needs to spend into back into their accounts as a deposit or CBK injects temporary cash through repos. Sometimes the CBK bulletin says "the net liquidity position was offset by government spending". What was offset?

But if Treasury accumulates cash, at CBK, then liquidity cannot be offset. They must continue using reverse repos. Bank lend excess cash reserves which is what is held up at CBK right? So Treasury is crowding out the private sector by mopping up excess reserves through an auction, then holding onto those same reserves. The only way this can be sustained is if CBK keeps periodically injecting temporary money, which are rolled over and over, see injections in post 25.

But you're right-a very thin line between CBK/GOK and I don't think any Central Bank can ever be given full independance, unless its private, like the US Fed.
Scubidu
#34 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:51:26 AM

@tonicasert. Check out this interesting article in the Business Daily today. Excerpt.

Treasury has accumulated billions of shillings in the past few weeks, causing jitters among banks and forcing the Central Bank to intervene frequently with injection of liquidity into financial markets.

Treasury’s lack of capacity to spend cash comes at a time when the CBK is keen to keep inflation in check and interest rates low but analysts say the delicate balancing act may not be sustainable.

Read more:

http://www.businessdaily.../-/oc8wj9z/-/index.html

Taleb: Piling On More Debt Won't End Global Crisis. Read more:

http://www.moneynews.com...ebt/2010/05/10/id/358549
tonicasert
#35 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:04:03 PM

Welll CRR is not really permanent, but its hardly changed and it may take some couple of years to change, depending on the intended effect a change is meant to have.

To clarify some stuff here - CBK serves 2 roles, one is to manage money supply, inflation and GDP growth, and secondly as a banker of GoK. On the other hand, banks run commercially independent to make their own decision on how to make money, essentially through taking deposits and lending.

In the interbank overnight money market, there are periods when theres is a crunch, and others when there's flush cash, and these runs for a few days/weeks. For instance if theres is a crunch, and banks are lending to each other at say 8%, CBK will intervene with reverse repo, where they will offer money at 6% to whoever is looking to borrow (secured with some bonds), and so the flush banks are forced to lower their lending rates. Vise versa happens with repo.

On the other hand, GoK needs money to pay civils service, pay for roads, etc, and unless the taxes (plus the expected oil revenues :)) exceed these expenses, the govt will always be short (deficit), hence borrowing through bonds. Now here is the situation where banks can invest their excess funds, by lending to the govt (T-Bonds) and earning the interest you are talking of.

Parliament approves govt spending, and cash is distributed to the various ministries to spend, and as you know, govt spending lifts the economy (paid salaries, contracts assigned, and the ripple effect). The prob we're seeing now is that the ministries for some reason are no spending the money (could be some project delays, maybe a way to siphon, I dont know), and remember CBK being their banker, the reslt is excess funds in CBK vaults which are meant to be spent. In the past, we find alot of ministries spending in the last month before budget, and there is usually a smal blip of inflation around that time. Suppose this cash was with banks, they would have seeked ways to maximise profits by lending more.

All in all, I still dont think CBK should be actively involved in trying to increase the interest revenues of banks, unless the banks are willing to lend to the govt, in which case the funds will go through the CBK. Whether the funds are used or not, is a different case altogether.

My 2 cents though....

Scubidu
#36 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:42:02 AM

wow, great stuff. CRR is not really permanent? Yes..humm I used a poor choice of words, I guess what I meant is that the injection is not a loan (not contracted to be repaid). If you raised the CRR back to 5.0% from the current 4.5% then the 0.5% would immediately be required to be kept as a mandatory reserve, the move would ideally be long term. The reason is more likely a long term is that it's supposed to trickle down through the system (to achieve the desired effect). But we can see clearly why lowering CRR is easier than raising it.

Why does the interbank lending mart exist? Commercial Banks take and create deposits. They take deposits from depositors and create deposits when they make loans. The language sounds wrong, but it's the case and I believe it's the fundamental reason behind the interbank loan market. The core functions of any bank (stated above) therefore involve the movement of deposits all over the system resulting in liquid banks here and illiquid banks elsewhere. So when there's a crunch, rates go up but when there's a flush they go down.

When govt has a public auction (Bond/Bill) they cause liquidity problems becoz cash leaves banks heading to CBK vaults. This has an impact on interbank rates by raising them. However, CBK can also influence these rates, when there's a crunch they buy bonds (reverse repo), when there's a flush the sell bonds (repo). Treasury can also influence these rates, when there's a crunch they increase govt spending, during a flush they freeze spending. Therefore it is clear what is causing the need for injections (see post 25).

The questions on the table are (1) why keep issuing bonds if there’s an accumulation of govt funds at CBK? If govt has over Ksh75 billion (post 22) at CBK why not stop issuing bonds until that figures drops to say Ksh20 billion (2) if ministries are incapable of spending money efficiently then why have such huge expenditure planned, thus huge deficit financing? Or only issue debt near June when ministries are expected to spend it. (3) If the goal is to lower interbank rates, wouldn’t it make sense to flood the banks with cash (i.e., increase govt spending)?

All CBK is doing is increasing the domestic debt (way over budget) and crowding out the private sector. Look at the Q1 results from Equity, KCB to NIC Bank, to COOP today (except CFC & DTBK), lending to govt was higher than ordinary lending in each case. So how can govt purport to want to promote consumer lending when CBK is supporting banks during auctions, while creating competition between borrowers and them. This whole debacle leads me to think that the reason behind not spending govt cash is because is actually a tool to tame the inflation banks would create through lending.
Scubidu
#37 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:07:31 PM

Domestic interest payments on Kenya's domestic debt between 2000 and 2010 were as follows:

2000: 22 billion
2001: 23 billion
2002: 24 billion
2003: 27 billion
2004: 23 billion
2005: 23 billion
2006: 31 billion
2007: 36 billion
2008: 42 billion
2009: 46 billion
April 2010: 49 billion

According to a reliable source the govt is allowed to stretch the debt service level to 30% of revenues. So the govt is allowed to spend Ksh30 of every Ksh100 of taxes to payback loans for expenditure they may or may not spend. The governor doesn't believe that the debt is unsustainable as the debt service level as a percentage of revenues is only 25%.

It has taken 17 years for foreign debt to grow from 200 billion to 550 billion, it's taken 10 years for domestic debt to do the same. Since 2005 domestic interest payments have dominated our debt service payments (i.e., contribute more than foreign principal and interest combined). But curiously it was July 2009 when gross domestic debt overtook external debt.

This may just be a possible reason why the CBK must try to keep domestic interest rates low.
Scubidu
#38 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 11:53:29 AM

A whopping Sh30 billion earmarked for development in the current financial year and released to ministries remains idle in bank accounts, hampering delivery of critical services to wananchi.

The riddle of unspent billions, coming hardly a month before the next budget, has provided the latest indications of how ministries have been unable to roll out projects which were listed in this year’s budget.

“Whenever concern is raised, people often think that it is Treasury that has refused to release the money. But the fact is that some ministries sit on billions of shillings that Treasury has already approved electronically for expenditure,” the PS said on Tuesday.

Officers to blame

On Tuesday, Mr Kinyua said that the Treasury, which is responsible for releasing the money to the ministries, was concerned about the trend of cash remaining untouched in Central Bank of Kenya accounts.

Mr Kinyua said that permanent secretaries and accounting officers, charged with executing projects, were the culprits.

Read more:

http://www.nation.co.ke/...32/-/hf6pvl/-/index.html
kizee
#39 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 1:05:22 PM

yet the geniuses at MOF think we need to issue a 40bn eurobond!
Wa_ithaka
#40 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 2:09:59 PM

UK maths just don't add up-dude needs to go easy on muratina. How many t-bills have we had to finance gaps in the Budget? I can quickly recall two of them that alone add to Ksh30bn.

So how come we then end up with this massive underspend? Doesn't the right hand know what the freaking left hand is doing?