wazua Thu, May 2, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

52 Pages<1234>»
Question for a4architect
a4architect.com
#21 Posted : Monday, March 01, 2010 3:42:36 PM

yes. Foundation will cost 400 to 500k depending on the depth of stable ground/rock at the site.
As Iron Sharpens Iron, So one Man Sharpens Another.
a4architect.com
#22 Posted : Monday, March 01, 2010 3:54:26 PM

see a complete breakdown from foundation to finishes below;
http://docs.google.com/f...zOTlmMDczMzY1&hl=en
gathinga
#23 Posted : Tuesday, March 02, 2010 10:46:40 AM

@Njunge et all. thanks!
radio
#24 Posted : Tuesday, March 02, 2010 11:40:36 AM

a4architect.com wrote:
see a complete breakdown from foundation to finishes below;
http://docs.google.com/f...zOTlmMDczMzY1&hl=en

I am really interested in seeing the breakdown.. but the link doesn't work..

But, thanks for the info.
a4architect.com
#25 Posted : Friday, March 19, 2010 9:01:23 AM

Check out this link beloW:
http://picasaweb.google....3ooZjyTQ?feat=directlink
Pablo
#26 Posted : Monday, March 22, 2010 2:24:48 PM

Hi good people.

Just seen these posts and decided to drop my 2 cents.

Noted that in the earlier part of this post guys talking of costs of 25k per sqM.
I am just about to start roofing my house and noted that althouth this is a good starting point. This would be the cost you pay the contractor and you walk into your house. If you buy the materials and contract a good foreman to supply labour (in stages i.e labour contract for foundation, then walling, slab etc) my costs will come to less than 13k per SqM. Thats my experience on a 410 sqM house.
Capri
#27 Posted : Monday, March 22, 2010 5:49:59 PM

That is interesting. Have you factored in the cost of the finishes, which believe is quite substantial ? Know you are yet to reach that stage but you may have done some projections...
haiyaa
#28 Posted : Tuesday, March 23, 2010 10:17:28 AM

hugumadede wrote:
Hi Wazua, I would like to know the estimated cost of building a 3-bedroom maissionatte house on an 1/8 piece of land in Syokimau. The breakdown should include the cost of materials ie sand, stones, cement, timber, labor etc.
Please contact me on hugumadede@yahoo.co.uk

Hugu and all I now have a contact who can guide you on this at a reasonable fee.Please Get in touch if you need this service.

haiya08@gmail.com

@ Architect keep up the good work.
a4architect.com
#29 Posted : Tuesday, March 23, 2010 10:40:18 AM

@ Pablo.. you mention that you are in the roofing stage. A great percentage of construction costs is in the finishes stage i.e ceiling, floor tiles, bathroom fixtures septic tank e.t.c
Generally, foundation + ring beam/collumns + walling = roofing= +- 50 to 60 % of construction costs.
See the link below for a breakdown of costs at each stage.
http://picasaweb.google....3ooZjyTQ?feat=directlink
Pablo
#30 Posted : Wednesday, March 24, 2010 3:07:27 PM

This cost includes an est. 900k for interior finishes and 280k for a 60k ltr water tank which i constructed first.
I have not included the exterior finishes such as Septic tank, driveway cabro works, etc.

Not 100% sure the amount will finish it but will allow me to move in.

akowally
#31 Posted : Wednesday, March 24, 2010 4:19:40 PM

Nowadays that everything is going green I would advise that as you are planning for your buildings also consider the landscaping. There's nothing better than a well landscaped, manicured compound. Many people just plant trees and leave their great piece of land looking pathetic but a great landscape always complements a beautiful house. Consult a landscape architect [note:landscape architect not landscaper they're different] and you won't regret it. A lot of health and psyochological benefits come through this according to research
JOIN MY FREE MINI-COURSE FOR WRITERS. CLICK HERE
novestor
#32 Posted : Tuesday, April 06, 2010 7:25:22 AM

a4architect or anyone out there, my mom has a house under construction at the roofing stage and wants to put a shingles roof(looks somewhat like slate roofing). The house area is 14X14 meters and the roof pitch is 25.5 degrees (just to give idea on quantity).
Questions
1. Who supplies roof shingles in Nairobi and who gives best prices per piece?
2. What would an expert fitter charge for the job?
3. Is anyone here capable of supplying shingles and what would be the cost per piece and sizes you have?
Learn Something New Every Day!
haiyaa
#33 Posted : Tuesday, April 06, 2010 7:44:51 AM

on this topic ,I thought I could share with wazuans this :

When you purchase Kenya real estate, there are special procedures to follow to make sure that the Land Title is properly secured in your name. Below is a summary of the procedure that you need to follow. We provide this summary as an overview of the procedure for your reference; it is not intended to be a definitive guide to Land Titling.

Step 1:
Obtain a Pin Number from the Kenyan Revenue Authority. This step is fairly straightforward and enables you to continue with the remaining steps. As soon as you have decided on your real estate purchase you can begin the process.

Step 2:
Search for the Title at the Land Office. It may take several days to complete the title search for your property. There is a cost of KES 250 associated with the search. You can begin as soon as you have a pin number.

Step 3:
Before the property can be titled in your name you will need to ensure that the seller has cleared all necessary taxes on your property. Your seller needs to obtain a tax clearance certificate and land rent clearance certificate from the Municipality in Kenya where real estate is located. It can take up to 30 days to complete this procedure and the cost is KES 2500. Lawyers fees will be in addition to the fee that you pay to the municipality. It is usually a percentage of the value of the property.

Step 4:
You can begin this step while you wait for the tax and land rent clearance certificates in step 3. You will need to file a draft transfer for the Land Title at the Lands Office. They will assess a stamp duty that you must pay. It takes about one week to complete this step. The stamp duty assessment is 4% of the purchase price. As the buyer, it is your responsibility to pay the transfer stamp duty. It needs to be paid using a bank cheque or banker’s draft that you can purchase at your bank. Your bank will assess a charge for the bank cheque, nominally around KES 600. It may take up to 7 days before you can collect the banker’s draft.

Step 5:
Have the property inspected by a Land Officer. This can take 30 days but it may occur in as little as 1 day depending upon the schedule of the Land Officer. There is no cost involved with the inspection. It cannot occur until after the draft transfer has been filed and is covered in the cost of the filing.

Step 6:
Have your Kenya real estate evaluated. You do not have to wait for the inspection to have the property valued. There is no cost associated with this step. The evaluator wants to confirm that the purchase price is in accordance with the property’s value and then assess the tax liability. You can, if you wish, have your property valued by a private evaluator also to verify the asking price. The time needed for this step is again dependent upon the evaluator’s schedule. It may be accomplished very quickly or it may require up to one month. The evaluation must be done and the report completed before your transaction can be final.

Step 7:
When all the reports are finalized they must be filed with the Lands Office to register the transfer of the Land Title. It costs about KES 250 to register the completed paperwork.

Once you have accomplished all the steps you have fulfilled the obligations for Land Title registration for your new real estate in Kenya.

I would also want to ask why many plots in Ruai , Utawala and syokimau are on share certificates and do not have titles.Do the mother title owners have any sinister motive?
a4architect.com
#34 Posted : Tuesday, April 06, 2010 8:31:24 AM

@ novestor..roof shingles are of many materials, there is copper felt,asphalt felt, stone coated steel shingles or wooden.
Copper and asphalt felt are sold by some firm near warren concrete at Kasarani-italbuild imports. Stone coated shingles are sold by harvey tiles or space and style industrial area. Wooden shingles[KWS langata style] are sold by tim sales industrial area.
Each roofing tile has its own specifications for installation. Generally shingles need steep roof angles-more than 30 degrees so that rain runnoff speed is increased to prevent any chance of leakage.
novestor
#35 Posted : Tuesday, April 06, 2010 9:08:24 AM

@a4architect, let me say thanks a lot, i am already in touch with two of the above, will pay them a visit and thanks for the info of 30 degrees, i guess someone was about to make a troublesome roof.
Learn Something New Every Day!
luttz
#36 Posted : Tuesday, April 06, 2010 10:25:36 AM

@ Pablo,

It will be amazing to do 13k per SM. What tricks did you use? I am 70% done on my 350SM house and currently costs stand at around 19-20k per SM.

FYI- I used labout contract for the foundation, walling, all the way to the roofing. Am doing the finishes at my own pace
"You've never lived until you've almost died; for those who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know."
Tito44
#37 Posted : Tuesday, April 06, 2010 10:26:44 AM

@Pablo
How did you manage to construct a 60K litre water tank? Is it an underground tank? That's really huge storage
Pablo
#38 Posted : Tuesday, April 06, 2010 11:59:23 AM

@Lutz. You remember giving me some advise a year or so ago? Two things were on my side

- the Labour contracts and buying materials in bulk
- My soil is good red and the rock was very near.

My biggest cost was the slab at 700k (it swallowed 180 bags of cement) hired the trappers for the slab. walling was cheap as I used machine cut stones. I plan to cut my finishing costs by buying a 60yr old hardwood tree (which Ive identified at 38k)to cure and do the flooring and other wood finishes.

Pablo
#39 Posted : Tuesday, April 06, 2010 12:09:34 PM

@tito44

It is underground and I have planted grass on top.

Its actually not that difficult but when the diameter is 6M and a depth of 2.5M your contactor needs to know what he is doing. A structural engineer is a must as this. Naikuni has 2 x 100k Ltr underground tanks at his pipeline home.
luttz
#40 Posted : Tuesday, April 06, 2010 12:32:36 PM

@Pablo,

Very true but I think the cost difference is the red soil, mine is black soil and it has cost me heavily. Am yet to do the flooring but was thinking of fitting wood blocks- the idea of buying the tree is very good- where are you buying this? What type of tree is it?

"You've never lived until you've almost died; for those who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know."