wazua Sat, May 4, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Vision 2030's Malili Technopolis
DonBen
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 8:57:37 AM

Has any Wazuan have any further details on the proposed MALILI TECHNOPOLIS?

According to internet sources, the proposed Malili Technopolis is a Vision2030 project and will be a completely new town in Kenya sitting on 5000 acres to be built from scratch by the government in partnership with private investors located somewhere 60kms outside Nairobi.

According to the concept paper by PS Bitange Ndemo (click on link above), Malili will be Eastern Africa's first and only technopolis – a city built up for technology firms and it’s the Kenyan government’s way of creating a regional ICT brand.

Malili will have facilities to support Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) ventures and a science park, a convention centre, shopping mall, hotels, international schools and health facilities. Malili is located about 60 km southeast of Nairobi. Similar cities already exist in Malaysia (PutraJaya), Panama (Pacifico), the Philippines (Subic-Clark) and China (Shenzhen).

Here are some artistic images:

Already I have seen one or two speculators advertising for land in the local dailies!

The private investors partnering with government are not yet known.
tuvok
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 9:24:20 AM

I'd wait and see if it actually takes off..
smit
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 9:26:15 AM

waaoo! if its going to happen, then that will be awesome! But where will the water come from?
reithi
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:28:11 AM

It is only a vision, hence the name "Vision" 2030.

I was offered 7 acres at Malili recently but declined because the plan is too ambitious.

Where will the funding (read investors) come from in a country where basic services such as water, food, healthcare, education, shelter, infrastruture etc. remain challenges? These are the real 2030 targets, not a hyped technopolis because no country has developed without addressing basic human needs first.

This is pure white elephant in the making where land speculators will have a field day Sad
Scubidu
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:38:09 AM

Yes interesting. Where will all the water come from or is it the kind we're used to...looks like one can bathe in it (2nd pic). And what about the lighting...talk about crazy reflections (1st pic), can't imagine working with that...and always blue at night? Looks like this place will be the disco capital of Africa and why does this remind me of Avatar, oh yeah becoz "IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN"...LOL..it's magic. though I'd buy the artist's impression now (& not in 2030)...do my part for the vision.
“We are the middle children of history man, no purpose or place. We have no great war, no great depression. Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives!" – Tyler Durden
Njung'e
#6 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2010 6:23:48 AM

@all,
The artist's impressions have nothing to do with the proposed works and therefore,no need to cry water.....and i am optimistic this park will take off.The government is already talking to contractors.
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
DonBen
#7 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2010 7:56:41 AM

Njunge wrote:
@all,
The artist's impressions have nothing to do with the proposed works and therefore,no need to cry water.....and i am optimistic this park will take off.The government is already talking to contractors.

@Njunge

Why is the GoK, specifically the Information Ministry, so secretive about this project?

You will have seen on Bitange's concept paper that the government intends to use the Sameer Export Zone as a 'stepping stone' to Malili Technopolis.

- Why Sameer EPZ and not the GoK's own EPZ/EPA?
- Sameer owned by Naushad Merali a well known power broker from the Moi to Kibaki eras.
- Merali was and still is ex President Moi's frontman in the Kencell/Celtel/Zain deals.
- Along with Mois, Biwott, Kiplagat, Kulei and others, Merali and his Equatorial Commercial Bank were adversely mentioned in the explosive KROLL REPORT. ECB has since co-opted senior and influential Kibaki government insiders into its shareholding and this can be verified by the NSE.

Could Merali & Co (read Moi & Co) be the private investors Betange has single sourced for development of Malili Technopolis hence the secrecy?

Still on the Kroll report, is the mind-boggling US$ 2Billion that was reportedly siphoned from state coffers allegedly by the Moi family being repatriated to be re-invested in the development of Malili?

Or perhaps the shadowy former share holders of Safaricom - Mobitelea - who quitely and mysteriously sold their shareholding to Vodafone last year considering putting their billions of on Malili?

To avoid speculation, the government needs to come out openly on the Malili project. Its needs to open up the project development to competitive bidding. Transparency should not be so difficult unless this is a classified project. Only then will the public know how serious it is in implementing this project.
Fundaah
#8 Posted : Monday, March 22, 2010 11:31:56 AM

will this thing ever take off ?....was on Msa road over the weekend but didnt see anything ...but some land speculators seem to have swarmed in the area with massive new fencing in the proposed area...

http://www.standardmedia...20stall%20ICT%20project

some powerful politicians seems to have 'eaten'...

http://theanchormedia.bl...theft-in-malili-as.html
lets bust him .... who could it be ?

Isaiah 65:17-Look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth, and no one will even think about the old ones anymore
Amir
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 22, 2010 3:25:21 PM

i guess it will take off one day consider looking at the excerpts from daily nation thursday 22/04/10 money magazine article about "For Thika road residents, life set to become more exciting"
Some comments from Prof Njuguna Ndung’u are somehow encouraging

The Brave may not live forever - but the cautious do not live at all: Richard Branson
jagem
#10 Posted : Friday, August 06, 2010 3:40:45 PM

Malili Project. Any developments??????
seppuku
#11 Posted : Friday, October 08, 2010 11:43:57 AM

I think we Kenyans have become so used to government neglect, broken promises and white elephants that our pessimism is somewhat understandable. But I also think that we must not be blind to the achievements that have been made over the years. We live in a freer, more democratic society today that 15 years ago. Our roads are a lot better today than in 2002. Attempts have been made to streamline public transport. True, even I don't agree with the pace or efficiency of these reforms. But by lowering our expectations we encourage our leaders and ourselves to keep up (or worse still lower) the slow tempo of development. If we are to hold our leaders and ourselves accountable, then we must continue to raise the bar. That way we know when we are falling short. We know when our leaders are letting us down. And we can usefully say "Hey, someone is not doing their job!" rather than whine uselessly "Ah, serikali inakuwanga hivyo!". I await you, Malili, with the eagerness of an expectant father.
Learn first to treat your time as you would your money, then treat your money as you do your time.
arapsonkot
#12 Posted : Friday, October 08, 2010 12:42:04 PM

forget it men this will never take off just like balloon boy
Sent from my iPad" is the new "Haters gonna hate".
newfarer
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:29:58 PM

A pipe dream , a mirage , ghost , monkey city , a dark tunnel. Pesa ilikuliwa.Forget about about it.
Maybe in Thika by the year 3020
punda amecheka
poundfoolish
#14 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 5:05:12 PM

@newfarer..

cool footnote...
murenj
#15 Posted : Sunday, November 14, 2010 9:16:29 PM

sasa lazima cooperative biulding be replicated?
mpobiz
#16 Posted : Sunday, December 19, 2010 12:50:53 PM

smit wrote:
waaoo! if its going to happen, then that will be awesome! But where will the water come from?

i once heard a rumor that a second ndakaini dam will be built in the mt kenya region to supply water for the city and its environs....

kenyans ..lets not limit our dreams because if we dont get such a magnificent city at least we will get another town like thika or kisumu .that to me is growth for this country and new jobs for all

Politics is just things to keep the people divided and foolish and put your trust in men and none of them can do nothing for you...
alikujia
#17 Posted : Sunday, December 19, 2010 3:03:05 PM

murenj wrote:
sasa lazima cooperative biulding be replicated?

mmmmh. if they are more keen on cooptype, then-----.
By the way they have to do this thing before the counties mania come out forcefully. In the future it will be hard to get through any one-off massive project esp if its something that can, theoretically be located anywhere. We are likely to see evry project being broken down into small county bits with attendant unviability.