wazua Sun, May 5, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
China-Kenya!!!!!!!Deal or No Deal?
E2D
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:40:43 PM

@wazurians,
thot this may be interesting bt a friend tried to open ma eyes kidogo.
What is the significance of the two (CHINA-KENYA) monument boards(or watever the hell) on both sides of the Highway near Airport after Cabanas??
the lad of mine works for a construction firm in nai.in 2006 the average manpower in the company was 3000 pple.today, when i visited, the power is 4.reason.....no local firm including Kirinyaga Constr is awarded any contract by the EMK/RAO's gova.he tells me, Kenya had been sold long long ago and thaz why the Banners read:CHINA-KENYA and not KENYA-CHINA in the ordinary order of Host-Investor.
thot abt this fellows???
anasazi
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:48:18 PM

Hmmm. For a while I have observed China's moves in Africa. Seems they have not only economic interests, but political ones too. Perhaps China positioning itself on the geopolitical map?
Form is temporary, class is permanent
Hi-Lo
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:13:03 PM

...man, why single out China-Kenya? We have China-US, China-EU, China-Africa, China-XX...the Nigerians have a saying..."baboons work, monkeys eat"..not sure which ape is which though. Let the Chinese work...we eat. In any case Africans worked sugar plantations in Brazil, Carribean and Louisiana and are tired now. Just kidding...
FundamentAli
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:27:33 PM

China are redoing Uhuru Highway as a grant. That means for free. No loan. You only expect they will only bring their goods and manpower for the project. This covers road from airport to UN offices in Gigiri
McReggae
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:33:37 PM

Chine town, china everything is a world phenomenon my broda, http://www.index-china.c...ex-english/oversea.html

......how long has it taken the so called local firms to finish up enterprise road......like forever. Let the chinese do the work.....faster and better!!!!
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
Njung'e
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:04:31 PM

@Mcreggae,
Nationalism....We are at it again.Why the hell would i care which name comes first?....and yes the Chinese are doing great work.Njabini-Kipipiri-Ol-Kalou-Lanet road is roughly 220Km and the Chinese have done it inside 24 months.The workmanship is real impressive....Ebuyangu-Mumias is a mere 32 Kms.The local guy started work in 2005 and ain't yet finished this far(that's about 8Kms per yeard'oh! .Seriously...Hata kama your construction company has two wheel-barrows and three spades).The road is already falling off in some areas long before it is commissioned....Matope!!
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
wote
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:05:37 PM

E2D You could be the only human on this planet who still believe that a kenya can build a road.
Let the Chinese build roads for us.
Chaka
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:29:21 PM

Good roads also mean chinese imports can arrive from Mombasa faster and safe in the shops....
Jangwa la Jangili
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:37:46 PM

The order of names on a board is irrelevant.

But of course China has both economic and political intentions. Soft power. It is always interesting to see Europe and America try and demonize the phenomenon that is China but deep within hold it with such profound respect and dread. All we need is Russia to get back on steady footing and we can put these self-righteous white Anglophone bastards in their place.

When it comes to political sincerity, the Chinese are miles ahead.

Give me China any day.
Katika Jangwa la Jangili ndipo Pwagu hupata Pwaguzi.
smano
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:57:37 PM

I'm yet to see a dilapidated Chinese built road. It's not that our guys are overly incompetent - it's just that they're overly corrupt!
BEER IS LIVING PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!
poundfoolish
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:43:14 PM

matters little the order..

They do build good roads, and counterfeit quite alot.
How long has Eng. Ephraim and Kiriynaga been on the Nyeri road again..?

Hata hivyo awaiting for China or Mother Russia is daydreaming.. pendulum can only swing two way.. Europe or America..
China has no innovation,they counterfeit, no resources(reason they are all over Africa and Sud America) apart from a large market which the west is trying to penetrate; hamna lolote Uchina.

This guys offered a grant to Zambians to construct roads, airport, rail et cetera et cetera and in return they get some farming land..
On second look the Zambians realise all the infrastructure was ment to serve that ka-farm land they wanted to lease...

sokomjinga
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:04:55 AM

China can buy the resources they need for their industries from the same market others are buying from and they now have the money.

Chinese is the way to go.

We have seen Japan and South Korea develop to be industrial nations they are today and China is moving in that direction. BTW Counterfeiting also needs some technological input.
They are already far ahead in technological matters that's why the west is afraid of them.

If Kenya is to one day be a fraction of what China is today technologically, we need leaders like they have, not leaders "wa upuzi kama wale tulio nao".
Taunet Neelel ..... New Beginning .....
Cicero
#13 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:22:34 AM

The only thing i dont like about the Chinese (and Asians in general) is their silence + silent ways, otherwise i love the way they walk around the world and are done before anyone realises what has hit them. The Zambians shud have read their documents properly before signing under the dotted line. Id they did they would have known that China's interest was land.

That story remind of me of some Japanese fellas who came with a project where i work and asked us for a room to put up their offices, lab etc ... soon they wanted 2 rooms and now the last time i counted they had 8 ... we have 10 rooms there. I went to my boss and asked when we'll realise they are taking us over, when we have no room. The following week they had taken half the 9th room (cleverly of course), we now have 1 and 1/2! I know this thing first hand!

Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it...
Cicero
#14 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:27:12 AM

But again you cant talk too much against the Asians if you compare with our own people. Asians give back a half from each whole they take ... but Africans, you'd be lucky to get back 10%.

Think of our so called road contractors, i do not know one road which a Kenyan contractor has ever completed in time leave alone building it in the right quality. I doubt if i was in high office i would give a Kenyan company contract to build a road which i later expect vehicles to use! We just have 3rd rate contractors who are out to fleece the public. If they went for a contract to build toilets in China or the US they'd be laughed out of town!
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it...
VituVingiSana
#15 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:45:48 AM

@cicero - Were you making use of the extra rooms?

No... you are complaining about what you 'lost' but not coz you were using them...

It's like the land/swamp in Nyanza... No-one made good use of it... then Dominion comes in... They do well... and the lazy whiners start crying...
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Njung'e
#16 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:18:10 AM

H-young sets itself apart.....I admire the way they go about their work.Exceptionally mzuri.......just have a look at Mai Mahiu-Nakuru road or Sotik-Keroka road.
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
FundamentAli
#17 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:27:47 AM

You should not blame local contractors. Jobs funded by government of China are fully funded. Locally funded contracts are 20 - 25% funded. In other words, if you are given a shs. 1 b contract, the ministry of finance will only include Shs. 200 - 250 m for this financial year with a commitment to repeat this over the next 4 - 5 years. Other hiccups include the government withholding VAT, beauracrasy, delay in payments and diversion of funds
#18 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:55:20 AM

Here is a scary thought:
Imagine if a local contractor had landed the Thika Road contract.

BBI will solve it
:)
Mtublack
#19 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:22:47 AM

@ fundamental
all roads are usually awarded with a mobilisation fund which is usually substantial you finish that you request for a certificate and a payment. dont tell me about the kickbacks and all that, the contrctors are part of the deal so even if the govt officials are corrupt so are the contractors. and anyway am not sure Chinese dont give back too.Anyway bottom line is for the common man is good roads big benefit doesnt matter who bulits it. Its better if its by the local but i think the end product is what is more critical let the local contractors up their game
Some you win some you lose
Kausha
#20 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:34:50 AM

What do you mean H-Young, aren't they the same ones stuck on Enterprise Road till this day digging it up and all building pavements on one side and drainage troughs on some sides and not others. The Mai mahiu and Sotik Road jobs were sub contracts. The Mai Mahiu – Naivasha – Lanet Road RD. 0381 was awarded to Sogea Satom who designed the road, the job spec and focused on constructing the railway bridges and supervising the work of sub contractors. The Keroka road was Kay constructions contract subbed to H Young but supervised. H Young are just 1 notch above the local whealer dealers but pretty much poor. They are yet to fully finish Machakos turnoff masii, nowonder michuki wanted to chase them away from the site. They probably've finished Katitu Nyakwere kendu bay road but quality is sus.

And ps, roads are fully funded, you do the job and bill for each mile stone. What ails our local contractors is coming to do the job without sufficient working capital and greed - taking on more jobs than one can handle and ending up playing mikey mouse with the sites and equipment...moving equipment from one site to the next in between the contracts depending on which one can release cash earlier...ask Nyoro ...Compare that with China Hauuuwwi! or shengli each has like 4 live sites at the moment and you go there and you will find machines busy or idle on the site for each of the site ...now try and check out a local contractor, when no work is going on regardless of whether its for a day or two, the equipment is shipped away to the next site or returned from to the lessor asap!
Bottom line Chinese contractors return highest value and we as consumers are more interested in value for our money not patriotism, for that there is plenty served on national holidays at Nyayo stadi and statehouse gardens