wazua Wed, Jun 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Decay in the ministry of education
Fundaah
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:38:53 AM

Shame on you .... Kenyan ministry of education is becoming a shame to our beloved country...this being a key ministry needs a total overhaul...we expect the people working in the ministry to be role modelbut what we are getting is total shame....from corruption ... people eating money meant for the free primary education for the poor just because their kids are in academies and they do not see any use of the FPE...Head masters raping our innocent daughters ....computer error in KNEC exams ...corruption at the TSC..etc...if the education system is so much rotten , how far can we as a country go....do we have leaders in this country?.... The education minister ,ps should take responsibility and resign or be sacked ....yesterday!!!!!
Isaiah 65:17-Look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth, and no one will even think about the old ones anymore
bwenyenye
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:06:27 PM

@Fundaah

If the minister,ps resign, do you think the looting will stop? Let us look at the bigger picture here. The job of the PS is to set up Policy guidelines to ensure that the system works. The work of the minister should actually be to be the errand boy between the ministry and the Executive arm of gava and parliament. If the PS had systems in place and some accountant did not follow, then the accountant should take responsibility. I do not believe in wholesale comdemnation of the entire ministry by the media guys who seem not to have a clue how organisations are run. That said, anyone found guilty of any failure should be ARRESTED,CONVICTED, REFUND the money then be JAILED. That is the only way to stop this madness and not shouting at everyone.

I am still trying to fathom why it is taking so long to find the guy(s) who did this? suspending 21 people shows us just how many controls might have been breached!
I Think Therefore I Am
muganda
#3 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2010 12:32:58 PM

Prime Minister Raila Odinga told President Kibaki to ask Education Minister Sam Ongeri and PS Karega Mutahi to resign.

We've recently been talking about strong leadership but president and politics aside, I've often thought RAO shows more leadership than Kibaki. You tackle the issues head on - and no, despite my name, I'm not from Western or Nyanza province.

http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/news...icials-to-quit-7367.html
livie
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 06, 2010 7:46:20 AM

the only way to deal with it is to treat corruption as treason,because eventually it leads to disintegration of a nation not to mention insecurity and increased vulnerability to external attacks....
If you are going to be thinking only one thing, you might as well be thinking big. -Donald J . Trump
popi
#5 Posted : Monday, February 08, 2010 8:05:44 AM

thats what china did. if found guilty of corruption, u r dead.
Kamzee
#6 Posted : Monday, February 08, 2010 2:08:14 PM

The likes of Ongeri are a let down to this country.In the long run we all loose as we are setting bad precedents.
adept
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:04:45 AM

Lao Tse speaks of true leadership as follows - "The superior leader gets things done with very little motion. He imparts instruction not through many words but through a few deeds. He is a catalyst, and though things would not get done well if he weren't there, when they succeed he takes no credit. And because he takes no credit, credit never leaves him."

Politics on the other hand is the "social relations involving intrigue to gain authority or power."

I am for Ongeri's resignation by all means. However, what is the difference between that and the following recent scandals?

1. Triton

2. Over 130,000 bullets (many from a Government facility) found in the hands of a civilian. For this one, I still can't understand how Saitoti and Haji are in office today.

3. Maize

4. Mau forest land - Why should Ntimama still be in office after publicly admitting that he allocated some of the land in question under the guise of an 'executive order'?

Several questions then come to mind including:

1. What is the gauge of 'scandal gravity' that should require a minister's resignation?

2. Who should be relied on to provide the factual, unemotional and unsensationalised information that would then be the basis for resignation?

I could be wrong but it is difficult to ignore the main difference between the education scandal and the other recent ones: the US and the UK governments. From that, you can draw your own conclusions.

While I do support the resignation of the two Professors, the handling of this incident continues to demonstrate that Kenya has no shortage of brilliant politicians but remains in dire need of true leaders.
muganda
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:46:18 AM

@adept, you've adeptly opened a whole new dimension with this True Leadership and Lao Tse guy - jazzed, I'll read a little more.

I also agree with your whole chronology, but don't you see the passive way all these issues are handled are making them worse? And yes people should have resigned all through.

The education issue seems much more atrocious because it benefits innocent children, and money has been scarce all along because of the size of the endeavour. To imagine guys were skimming off all along!!! No no

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King

Ngalaka
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 09, 2010 6:39:34 AM

@Adept

You just read my mind - as a result I throw the weight of my weightless body with your lot.
Isuni yilu yi maa me muyo - ni Mbisuu
E2D
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 09, 2010 7:04:29 AM

Saddam left the earth with some strong stmt, I quote "Long live the Iraqi pple, Long live Iraq, Down with the traitors".
Kenyans have for a long time tolerated such shenzi behavior of corruption n the as they say, the back doesnt stop anywhere!!!lol
When surely will the back stop????at the Education Min. i prefer Ongeri n his lot shud hav gone long long time even b4 those white cops blew the info.rem not a single kenyan knew wat was happening til that kabrit went to the media.
when will a tru kenyan stand up n take responsibility for leadership failure in his/her docket.it doesnt matter whether Ongeri n Karega knew anything.They shud hav blown the whistle in the 1st place bt decided to sit their Sh***t on it.
And by the way, i suspect s'thing could be cooking with other depts too.some billions are being offloaded for campaings in Matuga...
Fundaah
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:32:50 AM

where was the maize report all this time.....? corruption fighting back...(Ringera)...This politicians think that kenyans have peanut brains .....WE should NEVER have a collusion.... /coalition/ ..ooops....collision goverment in kenya till the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ
Isaiah 65:17-Look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth, and no one will even think about the old ones anymore
muganda
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:51:43 AM

@Fundaah, Coalition government was a necessity. But with our current pschye, wouldn't the same corruption prevail in any form of government?
Ngalaka
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 8:29:53 AM

Fundaah wrote:
where was the maize report all this time.....? corruption fighting back...(Ringera)...This politicians think that kenyans have peanut brains .....WE should NEVER have a collusion.... /coalition/ ..ooops....collision goverment in kenya till the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ

Which came first Maize or Education scandal?

Isn't it the PM who appointed PWC to audit the matter?
Do you or anybody else have any evidence that the report was delayed to await release when PM was going to demand Ongeris resignation - as far fetched as that sounds.

Is the report on Maize scadal factual.

Do you have any misgivings on the honesty, professionalism and integrity of PWC.

Why do Kenyans seem uncomfortable when certain politicians are called to account.

Can't we handle both cases of corruption objectively without appearing to absolve some fellows of blame.

While there is no good corruption, The thieves in the education sector were to condemn Kenyan poor to illiteracy, while thieves in Food sector put lives on the line - murder. compare and contrast.
Isuni yilu yi maa me muyo - ni Mbisuu
muganda
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:08:01 AM

Clever distractions: The easiest solution may be both maize and education guys to resign. But we start with the education guys it's hot now... and the maize guys the next week...

Didn't know the maize report is out today http://www.nation.co.ke/...0/-/vq2fh2/-/index.html
At least two permanent secretaries, a parastatal boss and an official in the Prime Minister’s office are among people named in an audit report on the maize scandal.
Fundaah
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:34:52 AM

Ngalaka ...The issue here is timing...why didnt the report come last week or month....I do not support any kind of dishonesty...Im a kind of fundamentalist when it comes to corruption....open execution at Uhuru park is what we need for corrupt fellows in the country.....whether PNU PDU.... or ODM/ ODN(k)....
B.Timer
#16 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:02:06 PM

Methinks the one attempting distraction here is Raila.
He must have known the whens and hows the Maize report was coming out – so he opted to divert attention elsewhere and the Ongeri educ funds matter was most convenient.

Talk of preempting.

He must have calculated that we will figure that the Maize issue is thrown on him to counter what he is saying over FPE money.

To a certain extend he has succeeded in playing with our psychology.

I stand to be corrected though.
Dunia ni msongamano..
muganda
#17 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:07:16 PM

@adept, I'm following your Lao Tse guy and Tao - reminds me of Ghandi.

"As for the best leaders, the people do not notice their existence. The next best, the people honor and praise. The next, the people fear; the next, the people hate."

Where do Kibaki and Raila fall?

Nandwa
#18 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2010 9:27:25 AM

Is anybody following the unfolding mess on Education and Maize scams.

PM has heavy duty york on his face.

The explanation he gave yesterday is despicable to say the least.
He must take us for dunder heads.
Just as absolute power corrupts leaders, so does absolute fanaticism blind the people from logic
muganda
#19 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2010 10:26:28 AM

@Nandwa, quite a spectacle I must admit. Okay the positives first:
1. I thought in Kenya audit reports are never revealed to the public. To see PWC there doing their thing in front of media and government - progress

2. This is a scandal that started, detected, and audited by Kenyans. No need for so many donors. Now all they need is to take action

On the other hand:
3. Must admit RAO was quite vocal about Education issue; hence setting expectation. If he does not deal with the guys in his ministry decisively, he will loose the higher standing/moral ground.

Anyways, the saga continues, let's see what the guy does...
muganda
#20 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2010 11:02:50 AM

Just heard on Capital FM Mutula Kilonzo asking for Prime Minister to resign - 'Mtu aliumba neno, neno likamweza'