wazua Sat, May 4, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Car headlights - misty discolouration
qadaffi
#1 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2010 2:02:45 PM

Have a problem with Toyota Corolla NZE. The headlights have progressively become discoloured, taking on a misty appearance ( wierd cloudy look) and I have now noticed I cannot see as far as I used to when the car was new. Of course this raises safety concerns.

Anybody who has dealt with this? Are there cleaning agents for this sort of thing? Garage that could do it for me at a reasonable price. Ama dawa ni replacement?
Njung'e
#2 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2010 2:16:31 PM

Someone here gave contacts and links of some dudes who are doing plastic and lamps restoration during old good SK days.Can't get the topic.Hope someone gets back but it's somewhere along Lang'ata road.
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Njung'e
#3 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2010 2:24:46 PM

@Qadaffi,
Lucky you.....I am told this dudes will sought you out mzuri and at pocket friendly prices.

Call Sparklin Solutions on
0722818883 or 0721601195......

theslim
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2010 8:10:55 AM

http://www.sparklinsolutions.com/
the early worm is eaten by the early bird
murren
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2010 12:26:10 PM

there is also a company at the back of Charan Centre (msa road coast bus stop)that does the cleaning. I think it costs between 3k and 4k.
The secret of success is the constancy of purpose - Benjamin Disreali
Intelligentsia
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:11:14 PM

anyone with any experience with either co.'s?
qadaffi
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:18:39 AM

Thanks for the replies. I will check the two places out.
githiomi
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:26:44 AM

Hi Guys. My name is Charles Githiomi, proprietor of Sparklin Solutions. I'm the pioneer of headlight restoration which I started 3 1/2 years ago. In addition to headlight restoration, we also remove stains from all the glass components of your car, most importantly windshield. We can also remove scratches caused by the wiper from your windshield, leaving it sparkling clean. For further information, please visit our web site: www.sparklinsolutions.com.
wanyuru
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:54:36 AM

Githiomi,
sent an email to info@sparklinauto.com but got a delivery failure. i need some quotes. whats your email?
bwenyenye
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:12:38 PM

@githiomi,

Good that you have come out. Make sure that you do not let us down when we bring the cars to you. Can you clean a stain in an old 404 I am trying to restore? I think the windshield and some vioos have turned whitish due to age. The car is like 35yrs old!
I Think Therefore I Am
Qranj
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2010 2:50:37 PM

2 yrs ago, I used the good old BRASSO on plastick headlamps of a Mitsu-Lancer. The lenses are still very clear.

Same stuff can also restore lightly scratched & skipping CDs & DVDs!!

Visit:
http://www.ehow.com/how_...-headlights-brasso.html

Njung'e
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:35:32 AM

@Qranj,
I was about to brand you a Liar were it not for that link....What??....Brasso??...Somewhere in my store i have a 1/4 litre of brasso and the last time i used it was to polish a friend's wedding ring....well,maybe dudes have been paying thousands of shillings fo a DIY stuff.A can of brasso can't be more than 1K.Trust me to experiment this weekend....and thanks alot for that tipApplause .
Chaka
#13 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2010 9:53:57 AM

@Qranj

Did you restore the external or internal surface of the headlamps?

@Njug'e
Is your friends ring made of brass?
Intelligentsia
#14 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2010 12:43:48 PM

Used Brasso was for polishing brass musical instruments such as trumpets and trombones, saxophones and they shone like kingdom come. Dunno about if there's a diff type of brasso for glass and nother non-brass surfaces. Be careful, lest u stain permanently. Maybe do a test on a small surface first
Njung'e
#15 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2010 3:03:10 PM

@Chaka,
AAiiiiiiii....!!.....Kwani headlamps za moti yako are made of brass??...lol....Read this

Brasso brand commonly known as Brasso metal polish has many different uses around the home and lawn area. It is an all-purpose metal polish that can be used on a variety of metals such as brass, stainless steel, copper, chrome, aluminum and bronze. Brasso is available at most hardware stores and comes in different formulations for different uses. Original Brasso is generally safe to use on most metals, with the exception of sterling silver.
Intelligentsia
#16 Posted : Monday, February 01, 2010 10:24:01 AM

Took a pal's Harrier to Caltex Mada this past sato for a headlight cleaning job.
The results 600/= bob and half hr later were extremely extremely pleasing.
Qranj
#17 Posted : Monday, February 01, 2010 1:04:32 PM

@Chaka

I only restored the external surface. The headlamps are completely sealed so the inner surface is not discoloured.

@Njunge

Brasso is simply a mild solvent and an extremely fine abrasive.
The misty appearance on faded headlamps (read faded plastic) is caused by fine scratches on the surface. The brown-ish discolouration is due to oxidation, including fine dust getting trapped inside those scratches.

Brasso evens out those fine scratches such that fine dust cannot hold onto the plastic headlamp. It also disolves the thin oxidised layer that forms due to exposure to sunlight (UV), rain etc

Just apply & rub the stuff using cotton wool, leave it for a 1-2 minutes to dry into a haze, then rub it off / buff with a soft dry cloth. If in doubt, try it out on a small inconspicuous corner of the headlamp.

This is not guess work, its something I'm still doing. Read about "Other Uses of Brasso" on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasso

K22
#18 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 1:17:14 PM

githiomi wrote:
Hi Guys. My name is Charles Githiomi, proprietor of Sparklin Solutions. I'm the pioneer of headlight restoration which I started 3 1/2 years ago. In addition to headlight restoration, we also remove stains from all the glass components of your car, most importantly windshield. We can also remove scratches caused by the wiper from your windshield, leaving it sparkling clean. For further information, please visit our web site: www.sparklinsolutions.com.

You closed shop?

A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man
Chaka
#19 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 2:35:55 PM

K22 wrote:
githiomi wrote:

You closed shop?

I had also read about brasso elesewhere.Looks like jamaas here started a similar biz and spoilt the market?
Drobos fly
#20 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 4:48:36 PM

Mist you say! Eih?! Take a look at this:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXHTXdlWw1w