wazua Wed, Jun 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

SWEET WALK-WAY TO NEW CONSTITUTION, - PM MISSTEP
Ngalaka
#1 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2010 10:16:10 AM

Sweet walk way to new constitution-PM mistep.

In the wake of sustained political assault, Raila is forced to eat humble pie, as he climbs down from his stand point over the form the executive structure of of government should take in the new constitution.

It is no secret that, what the CoE draft suggested for structure of Govt is what he has always pitched for; PM runs Govt as the CEO while the president merely heads the state.

His flight of fantasy is set to suffer still birth yet again.

How so, indulge me:

Multiple split in ODM over constitution.

The ODM brigade abandoned their captain on this matter.

Ruto has left no doubt that he is taking the opposite view from Raila’s if only to spite the man. He has advocated for one centre of power and gone ahead to offer that he prefers the presidential system .

This was however didn’t come as a surprise, though the blow it has dealt Raila can not be over emphasised.

What is curious is the positions taken by certain independent minded personalities within ODM such as Minister Oparanya who dismissed the hybrid system of Govt the day Raila was holding a retreat for loyal party Mps in Mombasa to discuss the CoE draft.

Oparanya was in Western province speaking his mind, about the mindlessness of adopting such an hydra for our constitution. Quite telling!

Other ODM Mps such as Ababu Namwamba who constitute the PSC have suffered Raila arm twist in the past – when he rebelled by amongst other things calling for official parliamentary opposition. Raila went to his Bundalangi backyard to undermine him. Soon Namwamba found himself getting booed at home!

Just as he was fixed politically, so might he wish to pay back in the same coin.

In this category you may comfortably include Balala who will be keen to retun the favour he has been getting from Raila lately.

The North Eastern ODM brigade isn’t too enthusiastic towards the captain anymore either.

For PM the situation couldn’t get any worse. Poor guy.

And by the way what was Mudavadi quoted as saying, by yesterday’s Sunday Nation – I must admit I took that with tinge of salt, - a misquote, well you never know.

With things falling apart so dramatically, Raila’s bargaining power is hopelessly whittled down, as his stump card was the numbers he controlled in parliament .

He is akin to a naked man, his soft underbelly is exposed, he must compromise at zero option.

In his guile he may variously pretend to so acquiesce for his love of the country.

Whatever he does, this is a battle he is ill equipped to engage in, as the odds are hopelessly stacked against him.

Politically it is no small matter as a loss here has more than symbolic implications. As he gets subdued, his adversaries will be buoyed and all the more ready to go for the jugular.

I bet the likes of of Ruto want him to stick to his persuasions of executive PM and ceremonial president as suggested by the CoE as we go to the referendum so that they can make mince meat of him.

This is indeed strange terrain.
Isuni yilu yi maa me muyo - ni Mbisuu
Nandwa
#2 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2010 11:09:14 AM

@Ngalaka
Getting a new constitution may not be as easy as you seem to suggest. There are more contentious issues than just the executive chapter.
Have you noticed Mutahi Ngunyi sentiments lately!

He seems to have some very valid points.

As far as his rapport with RAO is concerned I can only sum it up as:
The boot is on the other foot.

In the last couple of months, Mutahi has changed tact.

He is continuously penning articles that are not particularly flattering to Raila the person nor his ideology especially in regard to constitution making.

I wonder if Mutahi will still continue to endear himself to Raila supporters as he has done in the past.

I bet it wont be long before they start calling him names. As a matter of fact one Miguna Miguna cast the first stone in his characteristic attack dog fashion.

You don’t critique Raila and get away with it.

Ask me.
Just as absolute power corrupts leaders, so does absolute fanaticism blind the people from logic
eduu
#3 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2010 7:25:31 PM

Surprisingly Mutahi Ngunyi's website is not accessible. I wonder why? I have read his last few articles from there but now i can't access it.
B.Timer
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:17:20 AM

Can we really start popping up the champagne that a new constitution is nigh?

There are issues about the Judiciary.
Issues of Kadhis courts.
Isuues of recalling Mps and their taxation.
Are we agreed on those.

I agree that Raila seems boxed in and tame.
His cards are exhausted.
But, you never know!
Dunia ni msongamano..
Robinhood
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:56:07 PM

I am no fan of RAO, but I admire his pragmatism in this case. He found out that the public was firmly against two centres of power in the new constitution. He knew that he would lose badly in the referendum if he maintained his hybrid stance and immediately changed his position.
Great men are not always wise, neither do the aged understand judgement...
Ngalaka
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2010 11:44:05 AM

@Hooded guy,

You see pragmatism I read spinelessness, turn coat behaviour, and lacking in principle - swaying with the wind.
This know which side of the bread has butter approach to issues is opportunistic as it is sly.

Some things you die for,
He has stood for the Hybrid system for such a long time that it is wanting of him that he so cowardly beats an abot turn.
Remember the Orange Banana times!
kingfisher
#7 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2010 5:41:42 AM

@ngalaka....@robinhood is right. Raila just read the public mood...in politics you don't fight the public, you make the public fight for you.

Now that majority of us have expressed a differing opinion from Raila's, he knows that the game is over....and don't think the likes of Ruto have won against Raila, it is me and you who has for once prevailed...they knew the die was cast the moment CoE said that majority of kenyans wanted to elect their own leader and realized that the KATUMANI (hybrid) version wont go down with us very well...

If you ask me what we should be doing right now i would say is to tell the MPigs we don't want any more of them..the 220 are already a nightmare to us!!
When I have money, I get rid of it quickly, lest it find a way into my heart.
Ngalaka
#8 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2010 7:14:15 AM

@Kingfisher

I like the Katuma ini part. Bwana how did you manage to throw some corn into the mix!

I see your point about reading majority mood.
However when you have a pet subject that you have stood for, for a long time, why beat an abrupt about turn!
I mean we could agree to disagree and give it to the majority, for thats what Democracy is all about.
May be an analogy can paint the picture more clearly;
Now that in the US the majority supported Obama, could we have expected Mcain to abandon his ideals and also support him too.
A man of principle is expected to remain loyal to their styrongly felt ideals even when in the minority.

Sasa wewe if you found ManUntd more popular than Chelsea would you abandon your club - assuming that you are Arsenal.
Even opposition should fold shop and join the majority.
Zakumi
#9 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2010 8:16:54 AM

@Ngalaka.

I think you are missing the point.A wise worrier knows which battles to fight and which ones not to,and for a politician reading the public mood is key for one's survival given that politics is a game of numbers.If you are following the current tribulations of Obama you understand what im talking about.

And on the Obama/Mccain and Man u issue...uve got it upside down you seem to be mixing apples and oranges.Our focus should be on what is good for Kenya but not who has feared defeat or not.It has been an open secret that the current hybrid set-up is not good for our country due to contradicting directives from the two offices,but this can be solely blamed on the armophous document that sanctioned the system.
The Strong Do What They Want,The Weak Do What They Must!
Ngalaka
#10 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2010 9:28:00 AM

@Zangumi

I dont know that I mixed things up in my analogy.

But on this particular debate, if the majority feel that the reverse holds I will readily give it to them but will still remain loyal to my persuasions.

Might you have gotten yourself mixed up by saying that it is okay for a leader of Railas stature to change course 180 degrees for political expediency! The soldier analogy reduces Raila to someone merely fighting for fighting sake. We are talking principles here.

That to me is spinelessnes and political malleability.
If he stands for nothing, then.....

Obama hasn't changed his belief about health care reform.
What his party is doing is improving it to suit different tastes.
If he beat an about turn, to say what the Republicans have been saying that would raise eyebrows, including mine.

My point is - some fundamental issues as this, you take a position which you remain loyal to unless you hadn't thought about it properly.

For more than a decade Raila has vocally advocated for strong PM to run Govt and a weak President to head state. Thats fundamental. Turning at 180 all over a sudden is curious.
Remember we lost billions in the last referundum and the process leading there.
What he should be saying is - 'this is my position but I recognise that the majority want the other,- I concede'.
Zakumi
#11 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2010 10:06:37 AM

@Ngalaka,

Now thats sober.But i hope you wont accuse me of shifting goal posts :)

P.S. ITS ZAKUMI N NT ZANGUMI...IM NT A boxer <tehehe>!
Ngalaka
#12 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2010 11:48:43 AM

Sawa Zakumi.
Sorry to distort your identity.
Infact I had thought it's Nyangumi.
Hayo yote ni tisa za-kumi ni kwamba we have agreed to demarcate between mere tactical fight and taking firm position informed of principle.
kingauwi
#13 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2010 2:11:03 PM

What is this preocupation with RAO this RAO that.
From the look of things RAO is going to retire from active politics after this term.
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win!
Robinhood
#14 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2010 2:40:52 PM

@Ngalax

I will admit that I am enjoying the fellow's coiling of the tail to no end. But I also think he foresaw a massacre at the referendum, and whether you call it spinelessness or pragmatism, he knew that he would be put to the sword politically with no hope of recovery.
Great men are not always wise, neither do the aged understand judgement...
Ngalaka
#15 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2010 3:37:41 PM

@Robinhood,

Sawa tunakubali yaishe.

Ruto found the right concotion to put paid to this guy.
He's been dealt a major blow.
He eats humble pie while Ruto eats meat pie ama ni Mau pie.

Zakumi
#16 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2010 6:17:14 PM

Hehe! Ati nyangumi...thats a gd one.

On the political issue id luv to hear your comments 6months from nw..no infact i meant to say 1month,since in politics 24hours is akin to an eternity.then is when we shall weigh the credibility of your assertions.
Nandwa
#17 Posted : Monday, February 01, 2010 9:10:59 AM

Sunday Nation yesterday - Mutahi Ngunyi -

http://www.nation.co.ke/...4/-/5qvtjt/-/index.html

In his column Abdinasir also castigated RAO for insincerity and lack of principles.
Just as absolute power corrupts leaders, so does absolute fanaticism blind the people from logic