wazua Mon, Apr 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

How competitive are kenyan businesses?
redondo
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2010 11:06:38 AM

Its generally believed that Kenyans posses more entrepreneurship skills and prowess compared to citizens of most African countries.
What i wonder though is if this assumption is true then how come most of our home grown companies never make the foray across our bonders? or could it be that we are not that competitive after all
the sage
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2010 11:36:47 AM

Probably they are not, worse comapring yourselves with other African countries save for Egypt and South Africa is a joke.
Jangwa la Jangili
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2010 11:52:26 AM

The key word is 'generally believed'. By whom? Ourselves? Maoni yangu ni kwamba there is some truth in their capability but I think Kenyans are mostly over-rated.

And it is this that then leads to an aura of self-importance that in turn manifests itself via resistance from some of our jiranis. Have worked with 1 or 2 mwakenya teams huku na huko so I think I have a rough idea ingawa it might not be a representative sample.

Its time we realized that Africa does not revolve around Nairobi.

And I say that with the utmost respect-est being a rather self-important person myself :)

Hata hivyo, labda nimenoa...
Katika Jangwa la Jangili ndipo Pwagu hupata Pwaguzi.
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:00:23 PM

I think they're doing very well considering the many hurdles they have to overcome from expensive unreliable electricity, kanjo, thugs, licenses, high taxation, poor transport network, expensive fuel, bad laws and law makers, zero justice system, inefficient insurance providers, counterfeits, disgruntled police force... just to name a few.

BBI will solve it
:)
Mkimwa
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2010 3:09:07 PM

It would appear that kenyan companies restrict themselves to Eastern Africa, and Southern Sudan. E.g. Kenol Kobil, Equity, KCB, Nakumatt, EABL, Uchumi, DTB, NIC which all have footage in Eastern Africa.

Dont know why they dont get out of that boundery, save for KQ. However, the Kenyan people, u will meet them everywhere doing some form of biashara or as experts...Kila mahali.
Phaoro
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2010 3:29:57 PM

How competitive are Kenyan businesses?

I would venture to say most businesses I see around are only as competitive as the next door or next stall business. Most of our businesses are only competitive at a local level, by local i mean in the immediate surrounding. I do not agree that we posses better entrepreneurship skills compared to citizens of most African countries.

I also think we have a terrible approach to starting our businesses. We suffer from what I call "make quick money syndrome" we want to invest right now and tomorrow come out with 200+% return on investments even without really knowing what the business is all about.

Another big problem is we never make sound business plans and sometimes completely lack a business plan. we do not have a clear vision, we never conduct feasibility studies, we do not understand our markets, we are plagued with financial and poor management issues.

we also lack realistic projections. e.g you want to lease a 30x10 foot stall, put down a huge X amount of goodwill money to start a business just because others are doing it without critically assessing what you are doing. The plan here is maybe run to Dubai and get goods to sell. Then as soon as you go bust, you wonder what really happened or blame someone else for your business running into the ground. I think we can be more competitive if we start thinking critically from a business perspective.

VituVingiSana
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:00:32 AM

Given the reasons posted by @2012, I would say they have done well...

The stupid, silly & corrupt licensing regimes of the kenyatta & moi governments forced Kenyan firms to stay small.

The current expansion into COMESA is great.

Bidco (Uganda)
KCB (Uganda, Tanzania, Burundi, S.Sudan)
Equity (Uganda, S.Sudan)
I&M Bank (Mauritius & soon in Tanzania)
EABL (Uganda, Tanzania - well, complicated!)
CMC (Uganda, Tanzania)

and I can go on and on...
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
gathinga
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2010 9:50:59 AM

Business competitiveness is relative. Kenyan businesses, methinks are as competitive as any challenge that comes their way. Without doubt, compared to UG, TZ RWN, BUR et al, Kenyan businesses are the most competive.

When faced with an bigger challenge, Kenyan businesses have shown capacity to surmount as well. Look at kenol Kobil against multinationals, Equity against big banks, Serena against the Big names (Kingdom hotels, Intercon etc),

In construction, textiles and manufacturing however, Kenyan business have fallen short of competition. see kina Kirinyaga against Chinese constructors, our local sugar is more expensive than imported, despite duties and the same for imported cement and fetilizer

There is the perenial excuse by local manufacurers that energy cost is the problem, that am not sure about
bwenyenye
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2010 1:49:42 PM

I believe that it is true that Kenyan businesses are very competitive. Look at it this way. Business growth in Kenya began in earnest after 2002. In five years, we have seen growth that we would not have imagined in the Moi error.It is good to note that the groth is really in the SME front which was not allowed to grow. When I walk down Moi avenue, I get really happy just seein all those 'stalls or exhibitions'. Few here may recall when Tom Mboya Street was a preserve of a few chutas who had to pay 'tax' to the powers that were.

The major issue with the businesses in Kenya is that they operate in very very tough environment. There is a bad licencing regime, frequent power outages, frequent water outages etc.When these services are avialabe, the are way too costly. How do you go out to compete with a country whose governement not only knows what to do but does it while your cannot even release the census!
I Think Therefore I Am
Jay R
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:46:35 PM

I agree Kenyan businesses/Kenyans are more competitive than most African businesses/Africans.
The reason for our businesses not expanding throughout Africa goes down to one element of production,Capital. Look at all those companies which foray in to our local market and compare their balance sheets with our local establishment. I also think Moi's era didn't do good for ourselves and our businesses.It's much easier to expand now than it was some years back. those who are disputing Kenyans'[or their businesses'] competence, go to any part of the world and find out the Africans doing real business. Kenyans will be second only to Nigerians in spite of the population difference.
when i see my purple, you see it not!
the sage
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:07:02 AM

I agree that Kenyan business operate amid a very tough environment, plagued by high and unreasonable taxes without tangible returns, and espeacilly silly laws by bodies like the county councils. However, a study done by the IMF shows that productivity in Kenya is among one of the lowest in the world.
Kenyan businesses are trying but let us be honest service delivery is pathetic.
@all, should we really use Uganda, Tanzanaia as a benchmark?
@Bwenyenye the stalls have opened up business opportunities for many Kenyans but what this country needs is value addition not this cop cat approach we are hellbent on.
muganda
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:15:46 AM

I was thinking awhile before weighing in. If the measure is competitiveness, my view is Kenyans and their businesses can carry their weight at any stage.

However when considering why Kenyan businesses seem to be dominant only in East Africa or COMESA, I looked at Nigeria. If you pick particular industries music, entertainment, banking etc it's clear that Nigeria has become a force in the continent north of SA.

My conclusion is that major limitation is size of Kenyan market. To really conquer, you need a good company in a large market making larger profits that spills over in the domination of smaller markets. South Africa, Nigeria, Egypt are doing it.

Hence it'll always be easier for Kenyan businesses to tackle EA markets as opposed to South Africa or West Africa for example.
kenmac
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:27:52 AM

>> To evaluate how competitive the kenyan businesses are, understanding the market structure within which they operate would be an important factor, is it monopoly, oligopoly or perfect competition and compare with the market structures in other countries and market sizes and each firms share of the market... The banking sector for example would pass to have perfect competition and the local market being saturated, the banks are now going across borders in search of new markets...Then further look at the entry barriers, buyer/seller concentration, the conduct and behavior of the firms towards competitors etc...To me SME's is kenya are very competitive and quite aggressive in marketing their products but lack enough resources to venture in the regional market successfully.
......Ecclesiastes