wazua Sat, May 4, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Family Chama
genius32
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2009 4:31:59 PM

I have been in several chamas / investment groups some which have done well while others simply flopped.

I am considering joining an investment club proposed by a group my cousins. The proposal sounds very neat.

So SK.. oh Wazua people... kindly share with me your experience / advice on family based investment groups. The good, the bad, the ugly... so I can make an informed decision.
muganda
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2009 7:27:49 AM

@genius32 must admit this one is all about attitude. I'm personally prejudiced against business with family, but I acknowledge in the Asian community it's the model that works; and works fabulously. Then internationally I've seen brother combinations in media - Wachovsky brothers, Nolan brothers, Miramax, Mudorchs etc etc.

A byproduct of family chamas is they tie bonds, and empower families. So I belong to 2 family chamas [paternal, maternal] by default. My conclusion it can work - they'll have their challenges but these things are only about commitment.
JeanLucPiccard
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:11:09 AM

I think as long as you have good structures from the word go, it should work. Let professionalism be the first thing, then family should tie the bonds. Dont let relations override professionalism