wazua Thu, May 2, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Stanchart bank - Bouncing Chqs
Layman
#1 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2009 9:51:49 AM

Hi, is it only me or are some of you experienceing bouncing of cheques of Stachart bank. I handle a number of clients who pay by cheque and from what I see, many stanchart bank cheques are returned unpaid as compared to other chqs from other banks, some clients claim they are yet to get explanations. Could it be that stanchart wants to just make commisions from the bounced chqs. I hear they charge upto kshs 2,700/- for a client whose chq bounces. I am not a client of stachart but at least my banks calls me whenevr they note a problem with the chq I issued to enable me go to the bank and correct as may be the case.
muganda
#2 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2009 9:56:48 AM

@Layman, I have many accs with them and they are not perfect - rigid, process, selective...

But I'll tell you they're one of the most efficient banks I know and very professional. With 44% increase in profits in a recession year, the idea of bouncing cheques for fee income is laughable. Th reason can only be their rigidity and 'protecting their customer'

Come to think of it though, all bounced cheques state a reason. What are the reasons you're seeing on these cheques?
Layman
#3 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2009 10:04:34 AM

....there are usually some computer printed codes at the back of the chqs......I dont know if those explain reasons. But generally, too many stanchart banck chqs are returned unpaid....kwani what is it they are lloking for than other banks....
muganda
#4 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2009 10:08:13 AM

@Layman, not a banker but reasons are like...
-Signature differs
-Funds not available
-No signature
etc.

You need to look at the people you're dealing with. Personally, in over 10yrs, they've never returned a cheque I've issued, truthfully!

By the way, heard soon you Bankers are working on a centrallised way you can easily tell all the cheques an individual has ever had bounced. More like credit rating / reference bureaus; may make doing business easy and hard at the same time.
Ondiek
#5 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2009 10:08:22 AM

Code 63 refers to insufficient funds, 30 - suspected criminal activity
Layman
#6 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2009 1:30:10 PM

Applause Ondiek, you have just made me laugh aloud, ati "suspected criminal activity"Shame on you
Outvestor
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2009 1:48:09 AM

Stanchart experienced some "system problem" a couple of times in the recent past. This resulted in loss of recent ammendments on the customer accounts. I knew this from my statements that indicated jumbled up standing orders.

Else, on the cheques issues, I've not heard of any similar cases elsewhere. BTW: The charge attracted by bouncing cheques is 3500/=

http://www.standardchart...ees%20and%20Charges.pdf
¡ʇɹoɟɟǝ ƃuıɟɟǝ ǝɥʇ ɹoɟ ɥɔnɯ os ؛uıɐʌ uı ɔıqɐɹɐ ƃuıuɹɐǝן pǝıɹʇ ı
JeanLucPiccard
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:53:47 AM

By the way, I used to be in Stanchart, but closed the account coz i found they were too eager to charge me for any small mistake...