wazua Sun, Jun 16, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Deadly cache of ammunition
Njung'e
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 6:30:32 AM

Is there a possibility that this cache was not headed to a neighbouring country?.Look who was arrested alongside Munir Ahmed....Joseph Maritim,the AP chief armourer......Do we have an Area inside Mau by the name Sierra Leone?...How close is it to Narok town?.....and who are the occupiers of this land?.....BBC was right.
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
McReggae
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 6:33:33 AM

.....I fear for twentetwelof........really fear!!!!
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
sokomjinga
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 6:35:53 AM

@McReggae you are right. This was definitely part of the "preparation" for 2012!
Taunet Neelel ..... New Beginning .....
sokomjinga
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 6:39:16 AM

Can this have some connection to the newly formed Kalenjin council of elders comprising of mainly retired Generals?
Taunet Neelel ..... New Beginning .....
KulaRaha
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 6:50:35 AM

Shivers down my spine, imagining what can be done with kind of firepower
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
Njung'e
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 6:57:39 AM

It's not the first time the Eldoret Ordinance factory has been implicated in this.It happened in 1992,1997 and now......what use does this facility serve?
simonkabz
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 7:02:39 AM

Enough ammo to fully arm an entire infantry batallion
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
mzazii
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 7:12:54 AM

i hope RAO being the supervisor of - i forget what - will take immediate steps and suspend/interdict the head of the bullet factory. The commish must also send some cops to the facility ASAP.
Opportunity may knock once, but temptation bangs on the front door forever..
Njung'e
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 7:21:33 AM

New Land rover spare parts also found alongside the cache.....MMMMhhhh....Which army,militia or rebel group within East and Central Africa uses Landrovers?....Hapa iko kitu.
JeanLucPiccard
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 7:28:49 AM

At this rate I will not be in Kenya come 2012. Will go visit some country. Kenya iko shida
DonBen
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 9:24:49 AM

Njunge wrote:
It's not the first time the Eldoret Ordinance factory has been implicated in this.It happened in 1992,1997 and now......what use does this facility serve?

Not necessarily. KOFC has significant strategic security benefits for the country and the region.

The stringent internal checks coupled with daily accountability for each round of ammo that comes out of production at KOFC makes it impossible for even a single round (let alone the 100k) to leave the gates of the factory without the express authority of the highest office at Department of Defence Headquarters.

Luckily for KOFC, each batch of production and supply is given a unique serial number and therefore the CID should by now pinpoint exactly which arm of the security forces were given these crates of ammunition. The CID should also have by now zeroed in on the particular arm and pin pointed exactly who/when/where/how was allocated / supplied with the seized crates and if they have so far been accounted for, how they found their way to Narok, without NSIS getting to know about it - virtually impossible, unless.......(guess is as good as mine)!

It is so easy to resolve this. What is clear is such a large quantity MUST have had the approval or authority of someone very high up in ranking, probably higher than chief investigator Iteere himself, to reach civilian hands.

Since all of the armed forces (Army, Navy, Ariforce, Police, AP, KWS, KFS, etc) rely 100% on KOFC supplies, it is obvious that this cache found its way into the civilian world through one of these disciplines. Millions of rounds of ammo are distributed to hundreds of personnel at infantries/battalions of the armed forces spread all over Kenya for training,reconnaissance, defence, patrol, etc. A small percentage is also distributed locally to licenced civilian fire arm holders while others are exported through known and traceable channels.

That said, this is a very serious lapse that has grave implications in compromising national security and I am sure even as I type these lines, no less a person than the CIC is being briefed about the whole saga.
Jaina
#12 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 9:52:23 AM

@ Donben

You seem to be very well versed with the intricacies of the defence/security fraternity. Thanks for the info.

However, sometime in 2007 some people were arrested with govt vehicle transporting bows/arrows/rungus and we all know what happened later that year.

Kenyans being ignorant and insesitive as we have always been will forget this incident within no time. Maybe we may not have problems in twentytwelov but as early as next few months during the unpopular constitution referedum. We need to be very worried.
Ondiek
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 9:57:19 AM

The arsenal that was on display gives us every reason to be very afraid. Question is "what else is out there?"
The General
#14 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 10:01:12 AM

The big question, i think:

Is the media brave enough to follow up this one?

The thicker the thigh the sweeter the pie.
Jangwa la Jangili
#15 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 10:05:02 AM

130,000 bullets dont just disappear. obviously an inside job. but look at the 2012 elections in positive light. July 2012 is the time to Buy!Buy!Buy! KQ stock. Who wants to bet flights from Sep-Dec 2012 will be fully booked by Jan 2012?
Katika Jangwa la Jangili ndipo Pwagu hupata Pwaguzi.
the sage
#16 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 2:17:57 PM

Don't know much about gus but it's true there is no way 130,000 rounds of ammunition can be in the possession of one person, without the seniour officials being in the mix.
I hope NSIS make a statement.
Ngalaka
#17 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 3:06:54 PM

@Donben

Hats off for insight.
Isuni yilu yi maa me muyo - ni Mbisuu
Intelligentsia
#18 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 3:26:22 PM

@sage I concur.

@ Donben
Whatever safeguards govts make to protect their arsenals, these systems can and do get upstaged by the people factor. Sometimes its the humint or human intelligence factor, as Defence guys call them. Israel for years denied it had nukes until a certain Mordechai Vanunu took pics inside their top-secret Dimona Nuclear facility in the Negrev desert and voila, they were splashed in the London Sunday Times a coupla days later for the whole world to see. Mind you that's Israel, a country most paranoid of security matters and with the tighest security safeguards known! Even if any nuclear material was stolen of course they wouldn't admit as that is tantamount to admitting they have such a programme yet their official policy is Israel shall not be the first to use nukes in the ME. But Vanunu was able to beat the system! Even in the US/USSR/Pakistan and other nuclear powers, protection of their nuclear arsenals is a very strict affair but it still remains a challenge with breaches happening all the time because of the human/people factor. Indeed 'Materials for making a nuclear bomb are accessible enough to support a black market.' Even in non-nuclear states, arm caches do disappear in the most peculiar of circumstances but no govt will ever admit.

KOFC therefore is not unique, and this scenario is entirely possible, especially considering Kenya became seriously tribalised prior and after the 2007 elections and there is nothing to prevent,for instance, senior officials at the plant from going from professional to tribal - esp. if they had been under pressure from their kinsmen.

What is needed is an immediate 100% audit to account for all arms produced over a specified period in recent years. And where is NSIS?! Thank Heavens the KOFC is only a light arms factory.

Tokyo
#19 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2009 1:18:44 AM

be very worried.
work to prosper
The General
#20 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2009 5:22:56 AM

AP..not surprising..these guys were royally had.
The thicker the thigh the sweeter the pie.