wazua Wed, Jun 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Crackdown on property owners
Fundaah
#1 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2009 6:23:31 PM

Kenya government is set to crackdown on property owners to determine the source of their money...won't this burst the property bubble if pirate money and money laundering is weeded out?....woe unto those who bought inflated properties with their hard earned cash
Isaiah 65:17-Look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth, and no one will even think about the old ones anymore
tony stark
#2 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2009 10:51:42 PM

The property bubble should bust in Nairobi. Where was this said?? By who?? Why?? In what context? Si you saidia with a link!!
tony stark
#3 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2009 11:31:12 PM

That said Land is still cheaper in Kenya compared to the world average thats why the damn quatari, koreans and chinese are gobbling up our land for there food production!
anasazi
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2009 6:41:01 AM

However for real this piracy money has really messed up the market. I hear of houses in South C going for over 20M! Unless I heard wrong... These are houses that you should pay 8M for MAX! No problem with inflation of property prices... however this should all be with clean money.
Form is temporary, class is permanent
VituVingiSana
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2009 8:03:37 AM

This is a simple matter... why complicate it?

If you think property is over-priced... you sell or do NOT buy. Kwani, who is holding a bunduki to your head? [Unless you are a non-kale in RV... I am sorry but I fear the RV mpigs will start another PEV-like situation using mau as an excuse]

If you think property is fairly priced or 'cheap' then buy...
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Kaigangio
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2009 9:44:30 AM

hey guys,

real estate in kenya is just like that bottle of beer...in late 1980s, it was costing a mere 3.00 and the drinkers were complaining that it was very expensive....believe me when the time comes for it to cost 1k, people will still drink and further complain how expensive it will be...
...besides, the presence of a safe alone does not signify that there is money inside...
anasazi
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2009 9:44:47 AM

However VVS, the issue here is that the market is being distorted.. If you owned a house in South C and Mr Woria offered you 20M.. Ata kama you're not for distortion.. Utauza! This is the work of government, as we hope/assume they should be immune to greed. If only!
mwenza
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2009 10:01:02 AM

@ Kagizzard

In 1987 Tusker at Serena used to go for 7.40 and in lower class bars at 7bob...........This remained so until 1992 election campaigns and the subsequent goldenberg scandal.
IF YOU EXPECT ME TO POST ANYTHING POSITIVE ABOUT ASENO, YOU MAY AS WELL SIT ON A PIN
Kaigangio
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2009 11:47:28 AM

@ mwenza,

although this was not about beers if you ventured into the bars and night clubs in Eastleigh, ziwani, pangani, riruta, satellite, dandora umoja etc there were joints which used to be called class Z...this is where the beer was going for that amount, around 3.00....actually i took my first bottle of beer (tusker export) in eastleigh in 1988 at 3.20 while my collegue took his guiness at 4.50...
...besides, the presence of a safe alone does not signify that there is money inside...
VituVingiSana
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2009 12:11:22 PM

anasazi - No distortion... Is 20mn for a South C house worth it?
If yes, you can keep it... if you feel it is over-priced... take the chapaa & run to South B, Embakasi, Nairobi West, etc
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
VituVingiSana
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2009 12:12:53 PM

@Kai - days of price control... You could go to Hilton & pay a few extra kshs for a cold beer/soda in a 5* environment...

The difference between Hilton & hilton (kiosk) is krazy nowadays!
the sage
#12 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 5:41:20 AM

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, with a 120,000 deficit, a young population, projections that 60% of the population will live in urban areas, there will be NO BURST.
Also, many Asian businessmen are selling their ventures and developing flats due to lack of interest from their children in the businesses, fuelling the price hikes in properties.
VituVingiSana
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 5:56:54 AM

@the-sage:

But at some point folks can't AFFORD to be in those properties... Say you buy a 10mn flat. What rate of return do you expect?
anasazi
#14 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 7:06:13 AM

VVS... bado have not shikad your argument. Your argument presumes that people will react in logical/ prudent ways. How does piracy money not distort the market? This is like the Arab money in the Engligh Premier League, that multiplies average player prices several times over. Yes, you may be principled, but that does not mean that prices will get any more reasonable.

All in all, though, I think the expected burst aint coming anytime soon.
Sigiriri
#15 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 7:20:49 AM

methinks this bubble ought to burst, unfortunately, this is Kenya. Everyone BIG protects their own interests. Why do u now see a proliferation of warias in major committess in the country? They are lined up to protect these interests of their brothers. So, while logically a correction should be seen, I dont see it happening.

But remember what happened the areas of waiyaki way past uthiru - kinoo, kikuyu n such areas when the higway was being done? There was the usual mad dash as is being seen on thika road now - in the end, how much did the road really help? Why is property skyrocketing so much only in waria-infested zones compared to other areas? There needs to be control....Kenyans should afford property, many kenyans, not just kina VVS and some other wealthy individuals.
tony stark
#16 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 9:00:30 AM

Sage hapo umenenena! But please note the rapid growth in urban areas is in slums. So the slum lords millionaires will definately get richer!!
The demand for middle class housing will also increase but the price is growing much faster than the average income growth of a significant fraction of the middle class!
@ sigiriri when warias are in committes ... do we call that protecting interest or equal representation????? I wonder?
VituVingiSana
#17 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 10:28:53 AM

@sigiriri - I do not even own 1 inch square of land...
VituVingiSana
#18 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 10:30:55 AM

@tony stark knows what I am saying... When the AVERAGE house is not affordable to the AVERAGE Kenyan... kuna kitu!

That is what happened in the USA... the prices rose like crazy... cheap loans helped & then...?

Kenya's population is growing rapidly but it is NOT sustainable...
bwenyenye
#19 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 10:41:44 AM

Good people,

I agree that the property prices are very steep in this country. The major cause of this is the failure of government to think differently! Do you guys realise that we are being governed by theories of the 1950s. ALL the fellows in positions to make decisions in this country were schooled in the 60s and 70's. They believe that the government must be housed in the most prime part of the country, that all decisions must be made by a few fellows sitting at the heart of the city, one's closeness to power must be physical and worst of all, developing the rural areas will make some MPs lose their seats ( keep them poor and be their saviour mentality). I believe that the government needs to move out of Nairobi, even to Isiolo so that that part will be developed too.Who says all PS's must seat at Nairobi? they can even work from home for all I know! Even private enterprise should follow suit. For example,why does the MD of a bank need to seat in Nairobi if his clientile is 75% from North Eastern?

Why do we think Nairobi is the only place we can be? Moving out of Nairobi is the only way to normalize real estate prices in the city. I am glad to see the young move and set up new towns like Kitengela! Very soon, that will be the only place you can get a house on a 1/8th in Nairobi, then we will all want to buy there and say the bubble needs to burst! It will only burst if we dare to think differently.
I Think Therefore I Am
Gordon Gekko
#20 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 12:01:00 PM

Have faith in economics. The laws of supply and demand; rationing of scarce resources will sort Nairobi out. See what happened to J'burg? Who has an office in their CBD? The rational guys all moved out to the Eastgates, Westgates, Sandtons.
Once the new constitution is in place and devolution kicks in we will be home and dry - catch though, those sitting close to the centre of power will do all to ensure the constitution doesn't go through.