wazua Tue, May 7, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Do women's chamas work better than men's?
muganda
#1 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2009 9:31:58 AM

Was chatting to family on the weekend and was taken through how Saccos began in Kenya in the 70s, as avenues for lower cadre employees to contribute for fund raisings, until government came in to regularise and instutionalize.

Then discussion turned to how women groups started chamas and how everyone is now on the boat and calls them investment clubs.

Dispute arose as to whether, because women chamas also provide emotional support and empower women, they have stronger glue than men's. Friendly discussion became heated and at the end of argument couldn't tell head or tail...
muganda attached the following image(s):
african-womenrv2.jpg (22kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
anasazi
#2 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2009 9:55:52 AM

Definitely I think they seem to work better for women. Maybe it's that women are more disciplined/ motivated in this area? Hard to tell.... Maybe also related to the fact that women's groups seem to do better, even in church etc
Form is temporary, class is permanent
redondo
#3 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2009 10:01:01 AM

yes women's chamas work better than men's. the chamas may individually holds less capital than some men's chamas but they are better run because for the women collecting cash is just another excuse to meet and engage in banter.Again the money is usually used to finance all kinds of projects no-matter how small. women have no qualms sharing about school fees problems but men "wanakaa ngumu kama Gumo"
mukiha
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 2:04:44 PM

Women's chamas do better because they are initially started as social gatherings. Then they transform into a merry-go round and eventually into an investment group.

Thus, even when money is tight, the social need to get together over a cup of tea is still there.

Men on the other hand do it in reverse....
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
muganda
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:58:11 PM

Hmmn, consensus is women's chamas are the way to go. Maybe the answer for guys is too include a few women or is it a potentially explosive mix?

There's this other thing about chamas, where 2 / 3 people do all the work. You know you've got a group of people but individual attributes come thru and people input is always different [slouchers and all]. This one thing remains a key reason I remain wary of joining one.
redondo
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2009 3:23:53 PM

my problem also with these groups is that most of them like playing it safe. investment is mainly limited to traditional instruments- land, stocks, real estate, matatus etc How boring and unimaginative. they should have listened to Ken Njoroge(of cellulant) @ last Satos KAIG event
leona
#7 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2009 12:17:16 PM

Yeah,Women groups do better. The only men's chama i know of,is one in shags that was started by an uncle of mine for men in his village and they buy livestock with the cash they get. It's been on for 10 solid years and most of them have schooled their kids from its poceeds.

Though women groups generally do better than mens,i also think men arent very keen on chamas..they see it more like a womans thing.
Nevermind what haters say, ignore them til they fade away - Just live your life
muganda
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2009 2:44:54 PM

@redondo, What ideas did Ken put forward at the event, please share?

@leona, TransCentury is a guy's chama - there are several that work but they're very business like. I agree women groups do better but perhaps they are too cautious. Sometimes a mix may be the best mix.
genius32
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2009 4:50:25 PM

Quote:
Hmmn, consensus is women's chamas are the way to go. Maybe the answer for guys is too include a few women or is it a potentially explosive mix?...

Muganda raised the above important question... I tried a mixed group once. Colleagues and friends - 8. Things flowed for a while until rumours / comments started flying about sitting arrangements, the after meeting chats etc .. Stuff like.. you 2 are always sitting next 2 each other iko kitu?.. at first I took it as good humor but soon the atmosphere was poisoned. It didn't help matters much that a good number of us were single men and women. I'd hoped we'd keep it professional and wacha mchezo huko inje but it seems others had different ideas.

I eventually bowed out...

muganda
#10 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2009 7:30:31 PM

Just listened to interesting story how a certain Chama visited children's home over the weekend now that it's the season. Moving... Any prizes for guessing the gender mix in that chama?
Kimindiri
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 31, 2009 12:38:43 AM

To respond to Muganda, the constitution is not important though a largely balanced group (age, sex and background) would help. I have been in a guy's only chama and we were very much focused and objective, and I have heard similar stories with my women friends.

Could you point me to where I can get hold of the 'african women' painting in your post? - the painting is really good!
Just like in F1, it's all in the telemetry
muganda
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:39:32 AM

@Kimindiri, thanks for your input. Honestly, your answer makes a lot of sense because the diversity of experience should benefit members - like a company / board anyway.

The answer to the question I posed - the Chama that did CSR was one made up of women exclusively; some few male mentors.

Don't know where the painting came from... Hadn't noticed it; Admin uploaded it.