wazua Sun, May 5, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Offshore Investments
WAGUMA
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 03, 2009 10:49:37 AM

With all this political chaos in Kenya and a generally slow economic growth,Offshore investments seems like an idea that we kenyan investors should ponder over.There are two Fund Managers...Franklin Templeton and Friends Provident international that seems to be gaining ground in Kenya due to the good returns.They are both based in tax free havens.
Holla if interested on bwaguma@checkmate.co.ke/investmentadvisor@dryassociates.com
bryostraighttothepoint
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 03, 2009 12:42:52 PM

What's the minimum amount of cash i need to have to consider offshore investment ?
IFA2
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 03, 2009 2:20:57 PM

Friends Provident International www.fpinternational.com is a vehicle through which you can access offshore stock markets. You can start up your investment with a single premium of USD 3000 or a monthly savings plan with a minimum contribution of USD 150/month.
sparkly
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 05, 2009 12:28:58 PM

Why bother. Stagnated growth in mature markets hence the money goes to isle of man, then is pumped back to emerging economies. Prime picks are the likes of safcom,eabl,kcb hence the 'foreigners are buying' cryies. As an investor at the nse am in the thick of it! I won't incur additional transaction costs to get what i have so that i can say ' i am offshore'
Life is short. Live passionately.
IFA
#5 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2009 5:46:37 AM

Hey Sparkly,the stocks you have mentioned are prime picks i also have invested in them but as an investor,i think you should try and diversify your portfolio.Why should you put all ur investments in one currency and in one country if you have the option of doing a 50 local n 50 offshore?Besides the returns are very good so you cant really say that the markets are stagnated.
anasazi
#6 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2009 5:55:29 AM

I've also invested some cash offshort through the monthly savings model. There was a time it took a big hit due to the downturn, but it's coming back up slowly...
Form is temporary, class is permanent
IFA2
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2009 5:52:06 AM

True the more developed markets are picking up slower than the emerging markets. The emerging markets have risen tremendously especially the BRIC ( Brasil ,Russia, India , China)countries. These markets are also considered offshore and investors should take advantage of this.
anasazi
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2009 6:35:33 AM

I get the impression, though, that offshore investment works better for long term. How does it work if, for example, you want to do it short term? Like put in some money for one year? What are the minimums?
IFA
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2009 10:17:42 AM

@anasazi,yes offshore just like some local investment vehicles works best for a longer duration.However,there is a mutual fund that has a class of funds in which one can get in and invest for a year or less and the minimum investment is $15,000.the best thing about these funds is that you get to choose which countries to invest in,the industries and what percentage to put in every fund.You can also switch funds if the ones you had selected initially are not doing well at no cost!
alvaro-1
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2009 3:36:03 PM

@IFA2
how are the return on average, say from friends international
sparkly
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2009 8:08:49 PM

@IFA i agree that it is prudent to diversify. The offshore funds available now are however structured with the developed countries in mind. Many originate in US but are resident in the tax havens. They invest in the emerging economies to diversify the risks faced by investors in the developed economies. The offshore investments are rated as riskier even than small and mid caps of home economies. A huge factor is transaction costs passed on to investor eg tax structuring, admin, compliance with foreign country investment regulations and the costs of international due diligence on investments. As i noted those same funds will come and buy stocks at the nse! Factoring above, if you pick your basket at the nse well you will outperform even the best run offshore fund especially if your corpus is small.
Life is short. Live passionately.
marko
#12 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 3:55:38 AM

Personally,i have invested offshore.the returns are good.even during the crisis,my portfolio remained positive at 15%.the beauty about it is that the information available is superb and there are many funds to choose from with various risk classes.
WHO DARES WINS
anasazi
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 7:07:37 AM

@IFA, what's your take on the whole dollar vs euro thing?
JeanLucPiccard
#14 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 7:21:28 AM

I gather that the euro will replace the dollar as the reserve currency... however i wonder how soon it will happen.
mturi
#15 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 8:47:07 AM

Marko - is this return in Kshs, USD, Euro, GBP and is this return annualised or since inception return. When I looked at Provident website, the annualised rates were below 15% but some had since inception rates of even 87%. Again your currency of investment matters especially with regard to how the exchange rates will move in the future based on your holding period (i.e. when you intend to redeem your units, timing of distributions if any etc).
IFA
#16 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 10:53:43 AM

@alvaro-1,the euro will outperform the dollar.according to our analysis,this could begin to take effect in a yr's time.@Sparkly,the fund hses are actually buying our local stocks.Franklin Templeton currently has safaricom and EABL shares in their frontier market fund but that should not stop you from investing offshore!the funds are giving us an avenue to invest in other economies around the world.For instance there is a fund that exclusively invests in the Asian continent,latin america,europe e.t.c Most of us dont av the facilities to go and invest in those countries on our own so as a start,ad rather build up my funds thru an established fund house and still enjoy the same services.
IFA
#17 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 10:55:26 AM

@mturi,as per our valuations,the portfolios are valued in the currency u invested in.offshore is the way to go!
mdosi
#18 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 1:22:29 PM

This is a great discussion you have here and as someone who does offshore investments, i concur this is the way to go guys. As i had said in another post here earlier, the returns a very good and most importantly the investments a very secure. In fact we have clients who have made 50% returns from Jan 2009 and this is the time when everyone thought you can't make any money offshore.Anyone interested can email me for more details.
It's amazing what you can achieve when you get rid of fear.
IFA
#19 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 2:14:39 PM

@mdosi,its good to know that you are an offshore investor and have got good returns.Franklin Templeton which is my major fund manager has never disappointed me and am yet to hear of an unhappy investor.just check out this link and see how well some funds have performed.http://www.franklintempleton.lu/lux/jsp/funds/performance.jsp
akowally
#20 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 2:22:00 PM

Very insightful ideas from IFA and IFA2...
JOIN MY FREE MINI-COURSE FOR WRITERS. CLICK HERE