wazua Fri, Apr 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
A rose by any other name...
stockskenya
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 01, 2009 12:53:28 PM

A rose by any other name...

Dear SKerians,
A man without heritage is like a child. Let me assure you, in changing to Wazua, we all feel what a woman feels when she has to take up her husband's name.

Why rebrand:
1. stockskenya name has become limiting
2. we're no longer only about stocks
3. we need to grow

The answer:
To name the forum SK was our first preference. Reason heritage, loyalty, affection

At any rate, anything else needed to be African, short and catchy, easy to remember, professional. Identity also needed to embody meaning of forum: sharing, connection, discovery, learning

Issues:
-sk.com site was required for proper branding and growth outside Kenya
-stockskenya.com did not have very positive image in professional market; often accused of being pedestrian
-so many appropriate names taken in the international domain space

Conclusion:
Wazua:- 'Serious talk about wealth'
-name pronounced the same in both English and Swahili
-deeper meaning in Swahili
-professional, memorable, wise

Motif:- a circle of Africans sitting around the fireplace, searching for knowledge in the sunset, to exchange ideas about wisdom and wealth. Traditional green of SK was incorporated into the identity.

Portal:- Availed on wazua.com and wazua.co.ke
Distinct sections created to allow unadulterated conversation about investments, groups, sme, market etc. which had turned off many of our earlier users. Club SK defined to allow us all to 'let our hair down' and express ourselves freely

Soft launch:
Early Christmas present for former SK users from Nov 30. Collect all input, incorporate and introduce second release before marketing launch to wider public.

Things you may not know about SK:
1. Position as at last week was 355 in Kenya from a high of 25 [high of 3rd local site in Kenya]
2. Other Discussions were contributing 65% of posts
3. Investments posts were read most frequently compared to average readership of Other Discussions
4. Average number of new topics weekly down from 148(2008) to 134(2009) and average number of users contribution weekly down from 1,487(2008 ytd) to 1,300(2009 ytd)
4. Corporates reluctant to advertise for larger part of the year due to outdated look and restrictive name
stockskenya attached the following image(s):
jrose.jpg (6kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
Noble
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 01, 2009 1:00:32 PM

@Stockskenya
Please forgive my lack of understanding. I dont have a kamusi. What is the meaning of Wazua and why Wazua and not Wizara?
McReggae
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 01, 2009 1:02:54 PM

Still not convinced!!!
What position are you aiming with Wazua????
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
stockskenya
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 01, 2009 1:43:31 PM

@McReggae Home.co.ke a brand new portal that was launched by AccessKenya and Webbaraza is not older than 6 months.

We had monitored it for awhile and by the month of October it overtook SK. Currently it is no 2 in Kenya and just about to overtake Nation.co.ke Anything is possible!
KulaRaha
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 01, 2009 1:45:47 PM

Stockskenya, you should not compare home.co.ke as that is probably the default homepage for accesskenya's web connections.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
stockskenya
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 01, 2009 1:56:53 PM

@KulaRaha that could be the case. But alas, what would we say for capitalfm.co.ke, patauza.co.ke, sasahivi.com, safaricom.co.ke, brightermonday.com, haiya.co.ke

All sites that were previously inferior and lower ranked to SK. But have overtaken us on our watch - we just had to do something - with your help and approval of course and it's only just began.

We also intend to make better use of Facebook and Twitter...
KulaRaha
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 01, 2009 1:58:53 PM

Stockskenya, I support you, but you need to make change gradual.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
Kamaa
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 01, 2009 1:59:00 PM

@ stockskenya

why are you addressing us as stockskenya and not wazua..?

if you think that we will be tempted to reason out with you (stockskenya) why didn't you involve us for all those months...?

forgive me 10 months was such a long time to prepare us for the change while at it telling us what was or not happening in the marketability of SK...

hope by now you have realized that SK ina wenyewe and you are only managers...
When you hear what I say, you will not understand. When you see what I do, you will not comprehend
Kamaa
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 01, 2009 2:01:57 PM

anyway hope skerians will reason out with you.. for me i am already a member but i don't want any EXITS!

@ members

pls lets give them a chance..
When you hear what I say, you will not understand. When you see what I do, you will not comprehend
gogeta
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 01, 2009 2:04:42 PM

@stockkenya well if i may say so am a little convinced.. change is the best in the world today. the layout is ok and looks ..well international...but you really need to do something about the color.
wish you well as you strive to make Wazua no. 1.
Think the unthinkable but wear a dark suit
The General
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 01, 2009 2:07:04 PM

@ Sk/Wazua Team,

Mume toka mbali, carry on with the good work.

few of those sites, IF ANY, have the potential of wazua.co.ke
The thicker the thigh the sweeter the pie.
akowally
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 01, 2009 2:07:30 PM

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

Once again thanks guys for the constant feedback.

Good to know that you are having a second launch.

JOIN MY FREE MINI-COURSE FOR WRITERS. CLICK HERE
wazua
#13 Posted : Tuesday, December 01, 2009 2:11:37 PM

@Kamaa noted and adjusted accordingly.

Yes indeed StocksKenya does belong to the members - it's foolhardy to think otherwise. Our actions may have been clumsy but intentions good.

In those 10 months though, you've given us feedback for so long and certain members left in frustration. We were focussed on trying to redeem ourselves - maybe we tried too hard.

Nobody's perfect.
The General
#14 Posted : Tuesday, December 01, 2009 2:14:54 PM

@ Wazua,

Come off it. Say no more.

People pay to learn/get information they get here for free.

The thicker the thigh the sweeter the pie.
callaspade
#15 Posted : Tuesday, December 01, 2009 2:18:28 PM

@stockskenya...aka waza..still not convinced.
when barclays was doing poorly because it was perceived to be elitist,they didnt change their name,they just made adjustments and were able to get back on track.
what you should have done is to make the site less elitist in whatever way.This is a serious site for serious people so dont compare with nation(no offence for free newspaper readers).
For any upcoming person financially, i have always directed them to read and visit stockskenya(am sure other wazans have done the same.
you shouldnt have felt compelled to compete with jokers on other sites,its the values here that are worth preserving.
A lot of people have benefitted here than in those pata uza and again,some live in karen,others kilimani,others kahawa sukari...etc.thats life...i cant move house because my friends think this or that about where i stay and who i associate with.
i rest my case in green.
wazua
#16 Posted : Tuesday, December 01, 2009 2:27:02 PM

@callaspade thank you for your feedback
Your sentiments are correct, in fact we believed as much for long. However, if nation.co.ke or even patauza.co.ke attract x10 / x2 our number of contributors hence revenue, for how long will it be feasible to subsidize SK?

Then there's the other issue, our members continually complained about the quality of posts deteriorating and departure of respected analysts. If nothing was done soon the upcoming investors would hardly pay attention to us.

Now they only need go to investor.wazua.co.ke and they venture to other sections at their discretion
Waria
#17 Posted : Tuesday, December 01, 2009 4:09:15 PM

@sk/wazua i feel you. I underwent the same problems awhile back in my business...i have learnt that recruiting a new client is waaay harder than maintaining the current one BUT when an old one quits you loose even more. Change is good bu keeping the green color for a start will definately cool many nerves

Put the livescroller on everypage too
Kamaa
#18 Posted : Tuesday, December 01, 2009 4:39:56 PM

SK

i sympathize with you guys for..

1. subsidizing while loosing it out..
2. some of your old outspoken members (read jammo and others) quitting coz of quality of the posts (read site)..
3. working tirelessly to bring about +ve change but failing to sensitize or popularize your initiatives to the current membership only to face rejection after spending alot in terms of time & money...
4. having an uphill task explaining change and convincing members not to quit over small issues such as colour green and some funny names like newbies

okay all in all we all got lessons to learn and defend what we so treasure... A FORUM!
Ondiek
#19 Posted : Tuesday, December 01, 2009 4:50:32 PM

@ Admin - I thought of posting "If it walks like a duck..." in response to your subject but then given that you have taken time to respond to members' concerns, I have thought twice.

Give us time to transition but please get rid of the pink and bring back the green!
half_empty
#20 Posted : Tuesday, December 01, 2009 5:51:12 PM

i'm color blind but i learn fast...
lesson 1 - dont mess with kenyans and their colors...i dont care either way but WTH...if they want green...wapewe
lesson 2 - dont mess with apostrophe...thats a deal breaker right their...so sk/wazua admin,how long till you fix that?