wazua Mon, May 20, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
EAPC Convert Bond vs. Circus Swaps
drake
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2009 11:50:00 PM

It would seem the re-valuation of assets at East African Portland Cement (NSE:EAPC) was meant to kill 3 or maybe 4 birds with 1 stone.

A 'brilliant' chap has hatched an idea to float a Kshs 3B bond,deposit the money in an account and make timely withdrawals to pay off their yen-denominated loan when aforementioned payments fall due. (WTH?!?)

The company also plans to engage in forex hedging to protect against foreign-exchange risk.

Methinks a better option would have been a CIRCUS SWAP (combining both currency swap and interest rate swap features) Lack of counter-parties is not an excuse.

*Highlight: To be Kenya's first convertible bond (?)

Links

Article here: http://www.nation.co.ke/.../-/ie3564z/-/index.html

Quote here: http://www.bloomberg.com.../quote?ticker=EAPC%3AKN

Historical data: http://research.rencap.c...id=10002&org_id=867

Less wild-options : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interest_rate_swap

For the geeks smile http://pages.stern.nyu.e...ebt_inst_class/Swap.pdf

margin: 0.79in }
P { margin-bottom: 0.08in }
A:link { so-language: zxx }
>

kizee
#2 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 6:31:00 AM

enyewe eapc are douches....the board has refused to allow the purchase of any form of hedging products,there is no company in east africa that has been offered a myriad of hedging options as has eapc...simplest option indeed wud be a currecny swap...but then again this is eapc...hey while on the topic of hedging fcy loans..how is it that kengen never seem concernd about their fcy loans?
VituVingiSana
#3 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 7:14:00 AM

EAPC is government controlled... Maybe they were not allowed the options ARM or Bamburi would have taken...

Greedy when others are fearful,Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase WB
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
kizee
#4 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 7:19:00 AM

what has their being government owned hav do with anything?they hav little choice on this matter
VituVingiSana
#5 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 7:45:00 AM

@kizee 'they' meaning EAPCC? Well,if the government imposes GoK's choice of uneducated board members whose only interest is stipends then what do you expect?

EAPCC might have a much better (independent?) board now...

Greedy when others are fearful,Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase WB
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Scubidu
#6 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 11:53:00 AM

@ Kizee. I think KenGen did have some problems with the fcd loans particularly in 2009...the same Yen denominated kind,but swept them under the rug with a change in accounting policies. They made adjustments to a new reserve in the BL where they put all currency losses,maybe EAPC should consider doing that. This way they can disguise losses and only recognise forex changes (from other stuff unrelated to borrowings) on the P&L. But I remember hearing that the Japanese lenders had put restrictions on the amount of the debt that could be repaid each year (by EAPC),so maybe that's why they came up with the current bond thing. But the this particular bond promises no claims to future cashflow generating activities,I don't see why people should buy into it at all.

The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled.
“We are the middle children of history man, no purpose or place. We have no great war, no great depression. Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives!" – Tyler Durden
mwanahisa
#7 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 12:18:00 PM

I would definitely question the timing of the hedging. Questions have been raised for quite a while why EAPC did not adopt a hedging strategy earlier. It appears they are going to do it at a time when the Yen is near its all time high against the shilling. They should have been buying Yen when the shilling was at its strongest e.g. during the Safaricom IPO. After all in early 2008,they had seen the shilling getting hammered after the PEV.

The likelihood of the Japanese Yen depreciating going forward is higher than even,as risk appetite increases around the world and emerging currencies get back their oomph (as they have already done to some degree). I trust however that EAPC is not going to actually convert all the proceeds of the converible bond in one go - or else they may be setting themselves up for more misery once the shilling begins to appreciate. EAPC has a less than stellar record of efficiency and corporate governance so their bond is bound to (MUST) attract higher interest than the likes of Safaricom or perhaps even KenGen - Now - that will be expensive!

As for KenGen,they argue that they are shielded by the terms of the power purchase agreement whereby any foreign exchange differences on their loans are simply billed to the customer. In my view,this is actually a disincentive for the company to properly manage its foreign currency exposure. But at least they have made a start with their Kshs denominated Infrastructure bond.

Opportunity calls but few respond.
kizee
#8 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 12:36:00 PM

would definitely question the timing of the hedging....dude loan has another 11 years to go so the issue of timing is moot

Questions have been raised for quite a while why EAPC did not adopt a hedging strategy earlier. It appears they are going to do it at a time when the Yen is near its all time high against the shilling. They should have been buying Yen when the shilling was at its strongest e.g. during the Safaricom IPO. After all in early 2008,they had seen the shilling getting hammered after the PEV..that was then and this is now...the jpy/kes rate is not at an all time high despite what you hav heard...only God or nostradamus can confirm this..

The likelihood of the Japanese Yen depreciating going forward is higher than even,as risk appetite increases around the world and emerging currencies get back their oomph (as they have already done to some degree). ...eh dude...japans economy was the least leveraged of the G7 and is expected to recover fastest...infact thir Q3 gdp was positive...weak jpy-i dunno...

I trust however that EAPC is not going to actually convert all the proceeds of the converible bond in one go - or else they may be setting themselves up for more misery once the shilling begins to appreciate. ...eh dude if they convert it all to jpy they actually smile wen jpy gains again kes..the reasonin is u hav a jpy x loan...hedge against a jpy asset of x amount...

As for KenGen,they argue that they are shielded by the terms of the power purchase agreement -really?
Alchemist
#9 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 6:20:00 PM

@Kizee,

You are wrong about Japan's economy. If you have been following financial news,you would know that Japan is officially experiencing deflation. Deflation is more feared by economists than inflation because if mismanaged,it leads to a vicious cycle of small bumps and troughs and erodes economic growth. Even before the current financial crisis,Japans economy had the slowest growth among the G7 countries. Most important though is the emergence of China. China is growing at the expense of Japan and the Eastern tigers. With defletion,a less that strong USD and an ageing workforce,Japan is set to go through very hard times economically.

EAPC JPY Loans

On the issue of EAPC JPY loans,I think a currency swap would have been the best options but the challenge is finding a Japanese counterparty with substantial need for the Kenya Shilling.

Kengen and protection by customers

That claim is true for foreign exchange losses incurred in power generation. The obvious item in your power bill is the fuel adjustment charge. However,I have reason to believe that foreign exchange losses from foreign currency denominated infrastructure loans are not covered by the fuel adjustment charge and therefore Kengens earnings continue to suffer volatility from that area. The risk is obviously diversifiable but once again,government involvement makes it difficult for hedging to be done.
VituVingiSana
#10 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 6:43:00 PM

@mwanahisa has it down pat. What EAPCC should look at is the potential for FUTURE appreciation of the Yen vs KES...

Forget about the past... the Yen is very,very strong but can it stay that way? I think Japan's economy will slow relative to Kenya. Japan remains an export powerhouse but is challenged by S.Korea & China. Over time this will affect the Yen.

I think the hedging is the wrong move. EAPCC will have to pay high rates for a local bond (vs 2% for the Yen loan) & could still be hurt on the exchange 'loss'

VituVingiSana
#11 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 6:48:00 PM

@alchemist @mwanahisa - I think kizee's mind is made up but I am with you guys on this... Japan remain a strong economy but with an older population,slow-growth/declining population,strong yen... it can't compete as well...

Japan is a net food importer & this will continue as farms are abandoned for city life. Japanese firms manufacture products OUTSIDE of Japan. Cars (toyota,nissan) in USA. Sony has plants in China,Vietnam.

Japan will remain a top 10 economy for the next 10 years but has ceded #2 or #3 to China.

kizee
#12 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 6:51:00 PM

@ alchemist

japans q3 gdp grew by + 1.2 pct while everyone was predictin -ve growth..in addition the japs learnt their lessons about leverage durin the asian economic crisis thus very little delevaraging occured in japan....will the yen rally against kes...well jpy/kes is a function of the usd/jpy and usd/kes rate...i think japan is better off than the US so its highly likely we see a usd/jpy rally....

on the jpy liquidity bit..lets just say that there are folks including one local bank that are able and willing to source these funds for the purposes of the swap...eapc hav no excuse not to buy the swap

back to kengen...their fcy loans are unhedged ...we both agree on that...again a currency swap wud suffice for their purposes...this hogwash of GoK ownership is unfortunate but i gues u hav a point...the exec mnmgt probably wudnt kno where to start
mozenrat
#13 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 9:27:00 PM

Thanks Drake for those links (nyu),You have no idea how I've struggling with some of those concepts...

@Kizee,Fact - Japan is suffering from deflationary symptoms now... The healthy statistics you're quoting may have been true some time ago,lakini for now they're in deep.......
drake
#14 Posted : Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:32:00 AM

@ kizee - RE all time high.....Check out the 5 year chart JPY/KES

http://finance.yahoo.com...&z=m&q=l&c=

also,while it's true that Japan's economy grew in Q3 if you break it down,it's largely attributed to
+ Increase in Capital Spending ?↑1.6% = Govt

+ Business investment ? ↑ = Govt has been buying corporate bonds!

+ Consumer spending ? ↑0.7% = Govt incentives/subsidies on purchases

@ VVS

RE pay high rates for local bond.

+The option to convert the bond into equity means that the bond's yield needn't match or be as high as similar tenor bonds (MTN's?).

+The disadvantage would actually be to the current shareholders because of the dilutive effect of conversion if the option is exercised.

*If Japan's interest rates remain unchanged while Kenya's interest rate decreases,the shilling should depreciate against the Yen. It should be interesting to see this play out in real-time now that CBR has been cut by 75bps

http://futuresource.quot...ts.jsp?s=JPYKES%20A0-FX

Be that as it may,my call would still be for a SWAP deal.

As KQNA can testify hedges don't always work like you would want them to and in doing this,EAPC would be adding more risk to the balance sheet; punting that savings from hedging activities will be sufficient to cater for coupon payments and the costs of actively managing hedged positions.

Currencies move relative to each other and if a swap deal were actually impossible,my play would have been to hedge the Yen against a basket of currencies (instead of JPY/KES or KES→USD/JPY since what EAPC are looking to do is SMOOTH their interest payments anyway. Also with a basket,it's possible to effectively use options to minimize risk.

http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/fx/

@mozenrat ; another feather in SK's cap.

It often happens that a trader carries out a deep and complicated calculation,but fails to spot something elementary right at the first move!
kizee
#15 Posted : Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:48:00 AM

@ drake...hmm...so wat u sayin re jpykes chart? its doesnt seem to have topd out innit? in any case ur chart is from 06 pekee which is a very short time frame...in any case my point is/was that no one can predict that the yen will not gain any further against the KES...the ccy swap is meant to enable portland to mitigate against any likely future losses and enable them to concentrate on their core business....options are a gud idea...however if the management cannot grasp the concept of a ccy swap i highly doubt they will be keen on options

...just my kes 0.02
tonicasert
#16 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2009 8:20:00 AM

Japan's economy is growing thanks to government stimulus,but real economic growth is yet to pick. Yen has been pushed to the current highs mainly by risk aversion,and the government ammunition seems to be overstretched,with interest rates at 0.1% and public debt (one of the highest in the world,if not the highest),hovering at 200% of the GDP. Current deflation doesnt seem to be hlping things either. Actually they have never fully recovered from the 90's Asian crisis.

Might be the wrong timing to try and hedge the Yen now when its at such highs,it might turn to be another KQ case (when oil was rallying). It may be wise to,however,enter some cheapening options to mitigate the losses.

My 2 cents....

kizee
#17 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:12:00 AM

is there any cost to a ccy swap? apart from the differential interest rates which in any case have little to do with exchange rates....eapc are not in the business of currency speculation...

my kes 0.02....btw has anyone chekd out the yen today?
tonicasert
#18 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:07:00 AM

The cost for a ccy swap is just the intr rate differential and of course the bank spread.

Actually a swap is a money market instrument,and it couldnt have hedged their currency exposure,apart from managing repayment cashflows,since their local operating cash is in KES by locking in future rates for cashflows. The other way could have been using plain forwards. But overall,this could have beaten the purpose they borrowed in Yen (low interest rates),since the KES intr rate is incorporated in swaps/fwds.....

Bottom line,they entered into a transaction without some proper hedge for the future (thought USDJPY n USDKES were to maintain some stable levels).

Today Yen is rising on risk aversion (currently 86.75 on the USD),after last night Dubai rattled the debt market (emerging) by announcing a debt reschedule (people have been really waiting to see whether it will pay Nakheel's $ 3Bn maturing next month). This is technically a default! CDS have shot up (Dubai CDS is up 1.31% to 5.71%),and stocks are slumping! Seems financial shocks are still abound.

Nakheel (real estate co building the dubai palms) bond price due Dec was going at 111 on Monday,is now down to 75.

kizee
#19 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2009 1:01:00 PM

@toni

did u just say that u cannot hedge fx exposure with a ccy swap? did u mean an fx swap?how now mr ndegwa?
Alchemist
#20 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:20:00 PM

@ Toni,

Just a small correction on Dubai World and Nakheel. Nakheel is owned by Dubai World. Both companies defaulted on bond issued to financial institutions and the public. Same reason why the Nakheel bond lost its value.