wazua Sat, May 18, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
KPMG vs Deloitte
JosMon
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:02:00 PM

Hi guys,

Just wonderin how you would rate these firms in terms of which is the best place to work especially for a new graduate.

I need to make a choice between which firm to go for and I'm kinda stuck. I'm looking at comparisons in terms of career progression and the work culture. (renumeration I believe is pretty much the same)

Anyway,if there's anyone who's got experience in dealing with the above,please help.....
mseiya
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:16:00 PM

u r lucky...many pple dont have the luxury of choice. well kpmg u may rise fast lakini stress utaipata....ata deloitte. external audit,deloitte. consultancy,kpmg. money wise...thats not too hard to find out on your own.

....be it unto me according to your word ohh God!
The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But, unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do. - Warren Buffett

Alchemist
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:03:00 PM

@Jos Deloitte = Excellent training,little stress (compared to other big 4),slowish promotions,Salary u already know

KPMG=
Alchemist
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:03:00 PM

@Jos Deloitte = Excellent training,little stress (compared to other big 4),slowish promotions,Salary u already know vis a

KPMG=
Alchemist
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:03:00 PM

@Jos Deloitte = Excellent training,little stress (compared to other big 4),slowish promotions,Salary u already know vis a vis

KPMG= Very little training & tons of stress,faster promotions,salary not too bad.

Deloitte has a more humane face among all the big 4,ranks 3rd on starting salary (after PWC,KPMG,has the best audit software (I know from working with folks from all big4).

The choice is yours.
wangura
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:07:00 PM

Are u implying u have offers from the 2 firms? You are so lucky dude!
JosMon
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2009 5:37:00 PM

@ alchemist
thanks for the info. now I have to weigh btn
1. little training...faster promotions
2. excellent training...slowish promotions

(stress I believe is a variable depending on the individual...and I've been known to cope well...)

@ wangura,mseiya
yes I do count myself lucky...but then again it's not all about luck...it's about the having the necessary qualifications(I thank my parents for the fees) and most of all God..

anyone else with any info...which would u choose 1 or 2
nimimi
#8 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2009 9:12:00 AM

@JosMon

I once worked for both and I can tell you Deloitte is the way to go. The money will be less but the work environment is fantastic. Stress levels are much lower and the work life balance is great. However,if you thrive in an organisation with strong structures and processes then KPMG wins on this (Deloitte is a very down to earth,fluid environment while KPMG is more rigid). In Deloitte,your relationships with partners and senior mgrs counts much more toward your promotion while in KPMG its more about your delivery. Dont let the money issue be a consideration because many years rom now you will look with hindsight and realise the monetary difference was only pennies.

All the best but you wont go wrong with Deloitte..it still ranks as my best employer ever.
Ondiek
#9 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2009 1:19:00 PM

If you want to fast track your career then KPMG is the best place to be. Avoid Corporate Finance as you will not have your free time even on Sundays!Forensic and Corporate recovery alo to be avoided. Audit you will work late hours but the experience you will get in one year will be graeter than 2 years at Deloitte.

But one thing is common for all partnerships PWC and E&Y included- You work for the partner and not the firm!
JosMon
#10 Posted : Monday, August 03, 2009 2:16:00 PM

Thanks all for the info..

@ Ondiek
I'd thought corporate finance was the way to go but it turns out they do not take new graduates...one has to have served for at least 3yrs in another position b4 you can join this department.

I'd be leaning more towards the audit side as I'm looking mainly at getting experience.

one more question though...
'You work for the partner and not the firm!'
kindly please elaborate on this...don't seem to get the gist of the statement

@nimimi
Actually,it seems Deloitte is paying more than KPMG but only by a few quid which when taxed seems pretty much the same.

@ all
I've decided to start tallying the votes and see how it goes. I'll continue doing my own research as well but I'd really appreciate your help...I know SK has all kinds of people who might have worked in these firms or have pals who've worked in these firms

so here it is

Deloitte - 1 vote(nimimi)

KPMG - 1 vote (Ondiek)
McReggae
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 05, 2009 11:13:00 AM

Jos......kwani how long do yu have before you make a decision on which company to join!!!

The chief value of money lies in the fact that one lives in a world in which it is overestimated.
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
Sasha
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 06, 2009 8:35:00 AM

@JosMon

I've had the privilege of working for the 3 of big 4 i.e. PwC,Deloitte and KPMG and this is what I will advise you:

If you want to grow into a reknowned professional i.e. reknown for your professionalism, quality of work and delivery of work then Deloitte is your place. The work ethic at Deloitte is unmatched, the quality of their work is also unmatched and the experience you will gain there will be insurmountable! Plus they have an open door policy. You can walk into any partner's office and ask him any question you like. Salary-wise Deloitte may not be the best but the experience you will gain will be 'worth it'!

PwC will teach you how to work under pressure. The amount of work they do there is unbelievable. I think they are still the highest gross earners among the big because of the mere number of their clients. Plus they also take any job that is swung their way. That is why you will hear their name in many scandals here and there e.g. Triton, Mugoya, Hillcrest Schools etc. I'm not insinuating anything here, just that they were service providers for those companies. PwC will give you the best salary.

KPMG! Hmmmmm ...... ! This is where my career shot up very quickly. Their reward scheme is very stringent and if you can deliver, you get to move up the ranks very quickly. There's not much interaction between to top level managers and the juniors. Salary is better than Deloitte but less than PwC!

I think audit is overcrowded in all 3. Granted ... you will get wide experience in audit and most likely you will be poached in 3 years but audit is routine work (unless that is what you want ofcourse)! Corporate Finance is one of the most marketable carriers you can choose today. Most banks and FI's are looking for people with this experience to work in their Business Support Divisions! Forensic Services are also growing rapidly and you may be well placed to grow with it and become a leader in the industry.

My very many 2 cents!

Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time!
Sasha
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 06, 2009 8:42:00 AM

@Ondiek! I have worked in corporate recovery for 5 years and I wouldn't swap it for anything! Corporate Recovery equips you with very many skills at the same time from audit, to forensics, to financial & management reviews, and also operations management! I believe Corporate Recovery is the most 'complete' service as it ensures you touch on everything in the corporate consulting industry!

Ondiek
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 06, 2009 10:27:00 AM

@ Sasha - I was at KPMG some years back in Corporate Recovery and Forensic. I agree this is the field to be in but the person you have to deal with???

Hence my comment - 'You work for the partner and not the firm' if you worked there you woukld know what I mean?
Sasha
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 06, 2009 10:55:00 AM

@Ondiek: If I know who you are talking about, then agreed! But I've always had this policy of not working 'for' my boss but working 'with' my boss!

harrydre
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 06, 2009 9:47:00 PM

Kwani EY closed shop in Kenya ama what? nobody seems to talk about them???!!

Don`t let failure go to your heart and don`t let success go to your head
i.am.back!!!!
harrydre
#17 Posted : Thursday, August 06, 2009 9:51:00 PM

I did work for one of the big 4 based in city centre,and my pal who was a neighbour where I lived worked for the other big 4 located on the hill. I must say for a good number of days during busy season,I could meet with him early in the morning as I left for work while he was retiring to go to bed...

Don`t let failure go to your heart and don`t let success go to your head
i.am.back!!!!
mozenrat
#18 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2009 10:53:00 AM

@Ondiek @Sasha

Are you talking about Corporate Recovery or Corporate Finance?? I thought those were two different fields...

Yaani in academic terms,one requires a CFE and the other a CFA....

The field being referred to seems to have changed at some point in the discussion..

Sasha
#19 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2009 11:39:00 AM

@mozenrat: What I said is corporate recovery is one of the best areas of financial advisory as it equips you with a lot of technical skills, skills you cannot obtain in audit or consulting. Corporate Finance is however the most lucrative and progressive areas of financial advisory because all financial institutions are looking for qualified people to work in their business support departments.

I don't believe you need to be a CFA to work in Corporate Finance or Corporate Recovery! I even doubt there are many corporate recovery experts who are CFA's! CFE ni mnyama gani?Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time!
mozenrat
#20 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2009 8:25:00 AM

@Sasha...

I didn't mean that you require CFA for Corporate Finance. The academic example was simply to point out the difference....

I happen to know many excellent financial auditors who are not yet CPAs or ACCAs,many excellent IT auditors who are not CISA,CISMs or CISSPs,many excellent internal auditors who are not CIA's...

In at least 2 of the Big 4,Corporate Recovery is lumped with Forensics and its practitioners are 'encouraged' to obtain the CFE (Certified Fraud Examiner).... and yes the Corporate Financial Analysts are also 'encouraged' to obtain the CFA...

My interest lies only in discovering who this dreaded partner is.... the recovery guy ama the finance guy... it is NOT in discussing the merits or demerits of obtaining certifications.